Cineplex Employee Reviews in Canada

Issue of favouritism within the workplace
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2016
It's a good place to work if it's your first job , but they never raise the wages even after working there for a couple of years still being paid the minimum. They literally count every second of work and training sucked they literally didn't explain anything. Tons of the staff just stand and talk to each other with managers and if you go up and say hi to someone you know for a split second you get yelled at so I find that unfair. many co-workers wear jeans to work and don't get told anything and when I forgot my pants once they wrote me up overall the management sucked and were extremely rude and unwelcoming.
Pros
Free tickets (unless they throw them out lol)
Cons
Management is extremely ignorant
Great cast, difficult managers
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONApril 4, 2016
Of the 8 months that I worked at Cineplex, I learned a lot through my fellow cast member and management making me a harder worker throughout my time there. The hardest part of the job would be that our rushes were inconsistent and sometimes we would lack the staff and be swarmed with guests. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the interaction with guests everyday. The majority of the time the people were extremely friendly and I would see them consistently. Although the management was tough and sometimes controversial, I would recommend my friends to work there for the environment one would receive.
Pros
Free movies, half price lunches
Cons
Difficult, egotistic managers.
Positive work environment.
Cineplex Odeon Cinemas Concessions Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 6, 2016
An average day at work consisted of a seven hour shift with a thirty minute break. We were usually busy which made the time go by quickly.The managers were very understanding and my fellow employees were very friendly.I found that making popcorn while serving customers to be the most difficult. Overall Cineplex was a great place to work.
Pros
Free cast popcorn and cast drinks.
Cons
Distance from where I live
Supportive team environment
Concession Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 30, 2016
Typical day in the Concession Department involves serving theatre guests and processing transactions as well as popping Popcorn and merchandising candy shelves, and cleaning food prep areas. This is a great team environment with supportive management willing to help. The hardest part of the job is serving the difficult guests as well as during busy periods making sure supply does not run out. This, however is only a casual position with schedule released weekly, so you have no idea how many hours you'll be working week to week which makes budgeting difficult.
Pros
Free movies, popcorn, staff events
Cons
Casual hours and min wage pay
okay
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2016
Management sucked, they would find anyway, shape or form to write you up. they would tell you everything you did wrong and wouldn't help you improve and tell you how to fix it.
Co-workers were probably the best part of the job, you meet so many nice people of all ages and cultures and if you had a problem they would help you to the best of their ability/

I have gotten better at my communication skills both verbally and written and i have learned more about food handling and preparation and what working with costumers all the time feels like.
Pros
discounts and free movies
Cons
management
Constant rushes if your into fast and friendly service
Bar/Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 14, 2016
-business varies depending on the days, Tuesdays and week ends are the busiest and can be fun when you come to work prepared and looking forward to the rush
-I learned working with a team can be difficult when everyone is not on the same boat but when you come to an agreement things move fast and efficiently
-management team not so friendly if you don't "bend over backwards" or work extra long shifts
-hardest part about work is pulling someone else's weight and your own when everybody doesn't work together
-most enjoyable part of the job are the friendly guests, the rushes/line ups, and the smell of popcorn!
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Labour Work
Friendly workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 7, 2016
A typical day would be to open the restaurant by making the necessary preparations for the day. Make sure everything is set to properly and efficiently serve the guest. I learned to work better in groups and under pressure also better communication. The hardest part of the job was to learn to work under pressure. The most enjoyable part was working with such a big base of employees because it had a very friendly environment, even with the managers.
Pros
free movies.
Cons
short breaks.
Socially interactive and productive workplace
Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Mission, BCApril 21, 2016
When new popular movies are released my workplace environment is very fast paced and demanding, where the workers are left with little room for errors. On the other hand when it is slower on a Wednesday night for example, the workplace becomes very lethargic and boring. There are nights where you have to kill a lot of time before you can do anything. Cineplex is one big team and it is very important to have fun productive workers to make it a good work environment. The hardest part of the job is when I have to deal with unreasonable guests and workers, and ironically the most enjoyable part is when I get to interact with interesting happy guests and workers. Management try very hard to make the building run smoothly and efficiently, and I get along with them very well.
fun workplace
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2016
the other cast members are amazing people, made some really good friends there. Management picks favourite cast members, and makes sure they're always happy compared to their "non-favourites". The managers are very rude and judgemental.
Pros
free movies, fun environment, cast members are friendly
Cons
management, hours, hard labour for kids
An interactive and social workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONJanuary 1, 2016
A typical day at work would be walking in, starting the day off by greeting guests, and selling cineplex concession items. The management team is motivating and understanding. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting different guests everyday and providing happiness by giving them their movie tickets. You gain customer service experience, cleaning experience, and retail experience.
Pros
Free movies
Great Job, but problems
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NLApril 19, 2016
Hired a bunch of people and now university students who need work in the summer and being punished for calling in sick

Free movies great, typical service job, dealing with the same things you usually deal with. Not a bad job, best part is the coworkers
Pros
free movies
Cons
Can't get your hours
Socially Interactive & Supportive Team Enviroment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 17, 2016
As a cast member, I truly enjoy working with Cineplex. At my theater my management team is truly amazing and they go above and beyond to make sure that you are in a comfortable and safe work environment.
Pros
Free Movies, Flexible Hours
Cons
Minimum Wage Pay
Productive workplace with interesting people
Cineplex Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Working at Cineplex had a lot of benefits, they had flexible hours, and friendly workers.I enjoyed the people I worked with and have learned a lot about customer service and how to handle certain situations. It was an amazing place to work.
Pros
Lots of benefits; free movies
Cons
Not enough hours
Super fun place to work!
Outtakes staff (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2015
So far I've had a very positive experience working for Cineplex! The hours and pay aren't bad if you're just looking to put extra cash in your pocket. All the employees are friendly and talk to each other like they're family. The management are very nice and do not have that "I am better than you petty employees" vibe like most managers have, All in all I love working here!
Pros
Commission in concession, decent hours, works around your schedule, fun employees, friendly management
Cons
slow in the early morning/afternoon, minimum wage
Great place for a first part-time job!
Health & Safety Chair (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 27, 2015
The environment is ideal for supporting growth, learning and skills in young members of the workforce community. It teaches people skills, working under pressure, working with a team, and communication with both customers, co-workers, and management team.
Pros
free movies
Cons
not much room for promotion/further career opportunities
A great group of people to work with
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 20, 2016
Everyday working there was made enduring by the excellent group of people that I worked with on a daily basis. The job itself was hard work, and fulfilling. The management staff was not as involved and personable as I would have liked
Work Environment
CAST MEMBER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2016
I have worked for cineplex for about 4-5 years now and I must say that it has been a good place to work and meet new people. Customers are, well they are a handful.
Pros
Great place to work for those who are in school, hours are very flexible and shifts can be easily given away
The managers are bullies in Red Deer
Box office, concession, and usher (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 16, 2015
I worked at this place for almost two years and got passed over for promotions many, many times. I trained the people that got promoted to Supervisor, Asst. Manager and Teller. Countless kids would come to me about how the GM was treating them and claiming they couldn't do anything about it, I always told them to go to HR and the Labor Standards Board. I emailed HR on two different occasions about the GM with my own problems and nothing was done about it or him. This company is only in it for the money, the employees mean nothing to them because there is always another naive kid to take your place if you try to fight for your rights. APPLICANTS BEWARE!!!!!!
Pros
NONE
Cons
THE MANAGERS
Kitchen Staff at Don Mills VIP Cineplex
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJanuary 11, 2016
job was ok pretty decent nothing special. I would suggest better management team in cineplex, they have to hire more professional and trained managers.
Pros
cast passes, balance hours and flexibility, overall good job
Cons
disorganized management, no confidence in team members
Fun workplace with an inviting atmosphere
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
This job has been very fun. As an employee, you get to learn a lot of interpersonal skills when interacting with guests and co-workers. I can say that I never have an awful day working at Cineplex!