Cineplex Employee Reviews

Was fun and great in the beginning, but...
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 November 2016
In the beginning, the job was fun, then as a few things changed in management, it plummeted. Work became stressful all the time, we would be understaffed and working as fast as we could during the in-seat services.

I think what lacked the most when I worked there was the lack of appreciation for the hard work the cast members do. We never got "awesome work guys!" or thank you's, anything of the sort. That's what maybe drove some of the cast to not care about doing tasks when it was slow or put the effort in. We always had disappointed looks from the managers, as though we didn't work hard enough when the in-seat services were busy, and we always did out best to get the food out to the guests a.s.a.p.
Pros
Free movie tickets and discounted food at Outtakes. Make a lot of friends. Tips.
Cons
Short hours, mnimum wage, no raises, might be scheduled outside of availability, have to work Christmas Day, on-call shifts.
Fun job, not a ton of hours
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
This job is great for a first job or for a part time job while in school. There is no minimum hours you have to meet except on your default availability. The cast is friendly and easy to get along with. So is management. There isn't a ton of growing oppertunity and raises are rarely given. Most people I know have been working there for 3 years and have not surpassed minimum wage.
Pros
Half price outtakes food, free movie for you and a guest every pay perios
Cons
Not a lot of shifts given
Great experience.
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2016
It was a great experience for what it was. I worked at a VIP where I was hired because of my restaurant background and was told that I could help develop their lounge service and bar. On the theatre level my GM was great on getting feedback and suggestions but that's where it stopped. Good luck trying to give any sort of suggestion to Operations Manager of VIP or the team that develops the kitchen and bar menu items all you get is an email saying "Thank you for your feedback"
As a part time assistant manager, you are required to know/do as much as an full-time manager but without the pay and benefits. That's their loop hole. As a part timer they can pay you less but work you more.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with entitled guests that have extremely high expectations since it's called VIP. We do our best but they just expect us to serve them hand and foot.
The best and worst part are the coworkers. Some of them too are entitled 20 something year old that expect a pay without the hard work. 90% of them are very hard working. The other 10 need to be fired which is a long and lengthy process because it's such a big corporation.
Pros
Free movies (only benefit unless you're a full time manager. Great GM
Cons
Lots of work. Some lazy management. Some upper managements are con artists. Low pay.
Cineplex
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Cineplex was a great starting point, but by the end of my time there, I wasn't enjoying it at all. Granted that my availability there was only mornings, there would rarely be any shifts besides Outtakes. The pay wasn't the greatest, as there were raises few and far between. Trying to earn Cast Member of the month was apparently really easy for some people, as I was never given that award. The managers there, some were great, some were OK, some were not great.
Pros
Great friendships, free movies, learned valuable skills.
Cons
Really repetitive shifts, very little pay raise.
Worst job ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON4 August 2016
One of the easiest jobs I've ever had. The management, although nice, don't do a very good job at all. They hire too many people. Barely got any hours. Numerous times I've had my hours for the week cut. When the theatre is dead they have too many people and send everyone home, when it's busy they have too little people and you're stuck with a long line of impatient angry customers. I've worked there for over a year before quitting and countless times I've received $100 pay checks, barely enough to pay my phone bill. A first year business student can manage Cineplex better than the current management they have there now. Probably the second worst job you can have besides fast food. You have no chance at a raise. All cast members get min wage. TL's get like 25 cents more, management gets paid about $13. Maybe that's why they're so bad. If you work at any of the food serving places you're gonna go home smelling like garbage. Would only recommend to a high school student as a first job. The only positive I can think about is how flexible the hours can be, perfect for a full time student, although I don't think it would be worth it to degrade yourself to work at this dump.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Too many to list
better than mcdonalds, worse than everything
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 September 2016
a typical day in the concessions department consists of confirming floats, making popcorn, selling concession items and all that mess. Every hour we have to prepare for a rush when there's a new movie or a popular one that comes out. Now the job is an OK job if you're a teenager trying to make some extra money, but the managers can be a real pain. you're not guaranteed hours if you ask, so a cast member would typically work 2 shifts a week or 1 shift and one on call which is not guaranteed to turn into a shift. managers will reject your availability even if you have school and DELIBERATELY schedule you outside of your availability. when you hear stories from the team leaders, you could tell that a lot has changed about work life. also, the place is quite disgusting, from washrooms to rats in the stock room and even finding condoms in the auditoriums during theatre cleans, only way to mask the pure disgust and regret from taking this job is saying to yourself "hey, it's a job"
Pros
Free popcorn and movies
Cons
unpaid break, gross environment, rude customers, management.
Great Place to work
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
Management treats you like family, the company is guest focused but is very helpful when it comes to their employees. The offer fair compensation and room for advancement.
Fake People & No Leadership
Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 August 2016
Keep looking. This has to be one of the most dysfunctional companies I have ever had the misfortune of being a part of.

Management says one thing, means another.
Inconsistencies between what is said and what gets done.
Lack of training leads to high turnover from 0 training to employees and heavy workloads. Overtime a plenty.
Overuse of temporary workers.
Management has verbally threatened whole departments with firings.
LOTS of office politics and backstabbing. If you're not one of the "cool group", you'll never get anywhere in this company.
Not a team atmosphere.
Life / Work imbalance is huge.
Pros
Decent pay, Free movies.
Cons
See above.
Fun workplace, mainly youth
Bartender/ Server/ Cook (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON28 September 2016
Cineplex is a very fun place to work at since it has a great atmosphere, co-workers are kind and great to work with. Teamwork plays a big role in the theatre, which is great. Our management team helps cast members whenever the theatre gets very busy and is approachable. They build a relationship with the cast members, therefore helping the work environment feel more welcoming.
Pros
One free movie every two weeks
Cons
No benefits, low income
Fantastic job opportunities and company growth
MANAGEMENT/RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 October 2016
Can work your way up, senior management works with you to go after your dreams and career options. The company provides good benefits, and teaches courses to further your skills.
Issue of favouritism within the workplace
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
It's a good place to work if it's your first job , but they never raise the wages even after working there for a couple of years still being paid the minimum. They literally count every second of work and training sucked they literally didn't explain anything. Tons of the staff just stand and talk to each other with managers and if you go up and say hi to someone you know for a split second you get yelled at so I find that unfair. many co-workers wear jeans to work and don't get told anything and when I forgot my pants once they wrote me up overall the management sucked and were extremely rude and unwelcoming.
Pros
Free tickets (unless they throw them out lol)
Cons
Management is extremely ignorant
Fun place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 October 2016
Minimum wage does not suffice, lots of employees make cineplex a fun workplace because if coworkers. However management isn't the greatest and promotions are hard to come by. Would recommend for a first job or a short period of time.
Pros
Free popcorn and drinks
Cons
Only when on shift
Fun workplace with good people.
Usher (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON15 January 2017
Come in and stand at the booth and rip tickets from guests. I learned that sometimes you have to be patient. The management was great. Coworkers were friendly people. Hardest part of the job was cleaning theaters. The most enjoyable was working with good people.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Don't work here
Theater Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2016
On the surface the job and company look very good. But on the inside they short change their employees at every opportunity. They put on wages for all hourly staff as well as their bonus structures are very difficult to attain. Good starter job for teenagers entering the work place, but that's about it.
Benefits
Cons
Pay and advancement. Lack of incentives
Very fast paced environment with lots to do while working.
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2016
It was a very productive job. Time went by very fast because of how much work that needed to be done. the customers were amazing and the work environment had a energetic vibe. I learned to memorize the menu and promotions. Became very proficient on multitasking and handeling a fast pace environment. The management could use some work due to there being a short amount of managers and the large amount of young employees. But over all, it was a great experience and i enjoyed my position.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
management
Easy job, lots of hours
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2016
It's an okay place to work. It gets very repetitive which can be pretty boring. Management was pretty good for the most part.
Pros
Free movies
Has it's pros and cons
Cineplex (Current Employee) –  Ontario18 December 2016
Stable job possible
Some chance at internal advancement
Good benefits
Average vacation
Average salary range
Possible bonus depending on fiscal year overall
Takes advantage of designers and new graduates
Graphic Designer (Freelance) (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 September 2016
Horrible work environment and management. They fire people on spot when they make a mistake and don't support their employees when they need help.

Working here I watched as the management team took advantage of those who just graduated from school and expected them to work overtime WITHOUT PAY.

Designers had to ask for permission to go home every night, because there is so much work, you are looked upon if you don't stay to help. Also employees are asked to come in on weekends and work.

Very happy I was only on freelance because to dedicate my every day life to this kind of work environment is so depressing.
Awesome first job!
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC10 December 2016
Honestly I've read a lot of the reviews on here, 95% are all negative and honestly I disagree with all of them! Being apart of the cast team is awesome everyone is so welcoming and also so positive and so helpful! Management is always looking on how they could improve and help the cast improve! The only negative thing is that you're pretty much stuck at min wage and some customs but usually customs are very understanding! Very good for a first job or just a job to keep you busy! Very fast paced.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
wages and customers
fun working environment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 September 2016
good management, fun working environment.
Only con is salary which is too low. The events organised by the cineplex are fun and you can watch a free movie anywhere.
Pros
free movies, good and fun events
Cons
salary

2.8