Cineplex Employee Reviews

Was fun and great in the beginning, but...
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 November 2016
In the beginning, the job was fun, then as a few things changed in management, it plummeted. Work became stressful all the time, we would be understaffed and working as fast as we could during the in-seat services.

I think what lacked the most when I worked there was the lack of appreciation for the hard work the cast members do. We never got "awesome work guys!" or thank you's, anything of the sort. That's what maybe drove some of the cast to not care about doing tasks when it was slow or put the effort in. We always had disappointed looks from the managers, as though we didn't work hard enough when the in-seat services were busy, and we always did out best to get the food out to the guests a.s.a.p.
Pros
Free movie tickets and discounted food at Outtakes. Make a lot of friends. Tips.
Cons
Short hours, mnimum wage, no raises, might be scheduled outside of availability, have to work Christmas Day, on-call shifts.
Fun job, not a ton of hours
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
This job is great for a first job or for a part time job while in school. There is no minimum hours you have to meet except on your default availability. The cast is friendly and easy to get along with. So is management. There isn't a ton of growing oppertunity and raises are rarely given. Most people I know have been working there for 3 years and have not surpassed minimum wage.
Pros
Half price outtakes food, free movie for you and a guest every pay perios
Cons
Not a lot of shifts given
Worst job ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON4 August 2016
One of the easiest jobs I've ever had. The management, although nice, don't do a very good job at all. They hire too many people. Barely got any hours. Numerous times I've had my hours for the week cut. When the theatre is dead they have too many people and send everyone home, when it's busy they have too little people and you're stuck with a long line of impatient angry customers. I've worked there for over a year before quitting and countless times I've received $100 pay checks, barely enough to pay my phone bill. A first year business student can manage Cineplex better than the current management they have there now. Probably the second worst job you can have besides fast food. You have no chance at a raise. All cast members get min wage. TL's get like 25 cents more, management gets paid about $13. Maybe that's why they're so bad. If you work at any of the food serving places you're gonna go home smelling like garbage. Would only recommend to a high school student as a first job. The only positive I can think about is how flexible the hours can be, perfect for a full time student, although I don't think it would be worth it to degrade yourself to work at this dump.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Too many to list
Fun workplace, mainly youth
Bartender/ Server/ Cook (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON28 September 2016
Cineplex is a very fun place to work at since it has a great atmosphere, co-workers are kind and great to work with. Teamwork plays a big role in the theatre, which is great. Our management team helps cast members whenever the theatre gets very busy and is approachable. They build a relationship with the cast members, therefore helping the work environment feel more welcoming.
Pros
One free movie every two weeks
Cons
No benefits, low income
Great experience.
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2016
It was a great experience for what it was. I worked at a VIP where I was hired because of my restaurant background and was told that I could help develop their lounge service and bar. On the theatre level my GM was great on getting feedback and suggestions but that's where it stopped. Good luck trying to give any sort of suggestion to Operations Manager of VIP or the team that develops the kitchen and bar menu items all you get is an email saying "Thank you for your feedback"
As a part time assistant manager, you are required to know/do as much as an full-time manager but without the pay and benefits. That's their loop hole. As a part timer they can pay you less but work you more.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with entitled guests that have extremely high expectations since it's called VIP. We do our best but they just expect us to serve them hand and foot.
The best and worst part are the coworkers. Some of them too are entitled 20 something year old that expect a pay without the hard work. 90% of them are very hard working. The other 10 need to be fired which is a long and lengthy process because it's such a big corporation.
Pros
Free movies (only benefit unless you're a full time manager. Great GM
Cons
Lots of work. Some lazy management. Some upper managements are con artists. Low pay.
Fun workplace
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 July 2016
A day at work is always fun with the people I work with, they are funny, hard working people, great at team work, express and show themselves truly. The managers are always there to assist us, answer any questions we have, open-minded, listens, active and very fun to be around with.

The hardest part of the job is cleaning a theater, especially when a movie is sold out and you need to make sure you clean everything in a short amount of time.

Enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk to a lot of our guests, helping them and just see them interact with us. As well as the free movie benefits that we get after working or when we are not working.
Pros
Free movies, discounted food, free popcorn and drink when working.
Cons
short hours
Issue of favouritism within the workplace
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
It's a good place to work if it's your first job , but they never raise the wages even after working there for a couple of years still being paid the minimum. They literally count every second of work and training sucked they literally didn't explain anything. Tons of the staff just stand and talk to each other with managers and if you go up and say hi to someone you know for a split second you get yelled at so I find that unfair. many co-workers wear jeans to work and don't get told anything and when I forgot my pants once they wrote me up overall the management sucked and were extremely rude and unwelcoming.
Pros
Free tickets (unless they throw them out lol)
Cons
Management is extremely ignorant
Don't work here
Theater Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2016
On the surface the job and company look very good. But on the inside they short change their employees at every opportunity. They put on wages for all hourly staff as well as their bonus structures are very difficult to attain. Good starter job for teenagers entering the work place, but that's about it.
Benefits
Cons
Pay and advancement. Lack of incentives
Fantastic job opportunities and company growth
MANAGEMENT/RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 October 2016
Can work your way up, senior management works with you to go after your dreams and career options. The company provides good benefits, and teaches courses to further your skills.
Exciting place to work - always something going on!
Food Service & Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2016
I oversee all day-to-day operations of the building. We live by the motto "the guest is why" - which means it's all about providing exceptional experiences to our guests.

I love being in a fast-paced environment because I love to keep busy - one of the reasons I enjoy working for Cineplex.

The hardest part of the job would be working extremely late hours often and not being compensated fairly.

Cineplex has allowed me to develop all kinds of skills over the years and I am very grateful for all of the experiences.
Pros
Free movies, good experience
Cons
Poor salary
fun working environment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 September 2016
good management, fun working environment.
Only con is salary which is too low. The events organised by the cineplex are fun and you can watch a free movie anywhere.
Pros
free movies, good and fun events
Cons
salary
Productive and fun workplace.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC15 July 2016
Working at Cineplex was an amazing opportunity as I learnt a lot of skills, although they were not very flexible with schedules as I would get off past midnight on weekdays! I found working there for roughly 6 hour shifts and only getting paid $10.45/hr was not worth it.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
The salary isnt enough compared to how hard I work
Manager
Theatre Manager (Former Employee) –  Various locations22 July 2016
Salary was a joke, favouritism is rampant. No actual training as a manager, just job shadowing. You will be screamed at, either from customer or your manager/gm
Pros
Discount on garbage fast food
Cons
Wage, corporate culture, work environment
better than mcdonalds, worse than everything
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON17 September 2016
a typical day in the concessions department consists of confirming floats, making popcorn, selling concession items and all that mess. Every hour we have to prepare for a rush when there's a new movie or a popular one that comes out. Now the job is an OK job if you're a teenager trying to make some extra money, but the managers can be a real pain. you're not guaranteed hours if you ask, so a cast member would typically work 2 shifts a week or 1 shift and one on call which is not guaranteed to turn into a shift. managers will reject your availability even if you have school and DELIBERATELY schedule you outside of your availability. when you hear stories from the team leaders, you could tell that a lot has changed about work life. also, the place is quite disgusting, from washrooms to rats in the stock room and even finding condoms in the auditoriums during theatre cleans, only way to mask the pure disgust and regret from taking this job is saying to yourself "hey, it's a job"
Pros
Free popcorn and movies
Cons
unpaid break, gross environment, rude customers, management.
Find another place
bilingual technical support (Former Employee) –  London, Ontario10 August 2016
I worked for them when they were EK3 based out of London, Ontario, and subsequently purchased by Cineplex.

I witnessed threats by managers in-person to a whole department, and they threatened to fire everyone if they did not agree to abide by their ultra-strict rules, working conditions. Some people were complaining about no lunch breaks, temporary workers being hired, not being treated fairly.

The work environment is extremely stressful, in that their work load is being compressed onto fewer and fewer desperate workers. I met several people who were friends, and were acting very chummy, but appeared to be keeping it hidden. One woman was fired after I was told she was dating one of the co-workers. Some of the older workers openly threaten newer, temporary recruits with subtle threats as well.

The benefits were excellent at the time I Was working there, but I hear they have been cut down. The pay was also-substandard. I dont view compensation as incredibly important than working environment, and co-workers who are toxic, as these make the place unbearable. I would not recommend working for them as EK3 or their current incarnation company until the management, work culture improve. Until they then can cry all they want about not being able to find certain skillsets. They only have themselves to blame. There is also racism going on there, as they often hire people from outside the country, and make them do almost all of the on-call work, and these people are afraid to say anything. I dont see how the govt can approve these people to work here when there are already
  more... many people out of work looking for it. There was also a problem with the managers being treated horribly by the top managers. I hear she went to another company. They also basically force people to attend staff meetings where they can make their opinion of you whether or not you will be in "the club" which I find illegal.  less
Pros
Was great benefits;
Cons
long work hours; on-call for no extra pay; toxic culture; nepotism; temp workers
Fun place to work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 October 2016
Minimum wage does not suffice, lots of employees make cineplex a fun workplace because if coworkers. However management isn't the greatest and promotions are hard to come by. Would recommend for a first job or a short period of time.
Pros
Free popcorn and drinks
Cons
Only when on shift
Easy job, lots of hours
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 November 2016
It's an okay place to work. It gets very repetitive which can be pretty boring. Management was pretty good for the most part.
Pros
Free movies
Fake People & No Leadership
Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 August 2016
Keep looking. This has to be one of the most dysfunctional companies I have ever had the misfortune of being a part of.

Management says one thing, means another.
Inconsistencies between what is said and what gets done.
Lack of training leads to high turnover from 0 training to employees and heavy workloads. Overtime a plenty.
Overuse of temporary workers.
Management has verbally threatened whole departments with firings.
LOTS of office politics and backstabbing. If you're not one of the "cool group", you'll never get anywhere in this company.
Not a team atmosphere.
Life / Work imbalance is huge.
Pros
Decent pay, Free movies.
Cons
See above.
Hot mess with a side of bad managemnet
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 July 2016
I was hired with the opening of a new location in Ottawa. The training went well, the first six months were pretty decent, and the sense of camaraderie in the cast members was great. I attended health and safety meetings, cast screenings and events.I applied myself at my job, cross trained to other positions with the traditional side and VIP and was well liked (or at the very least not disliked).

Things were always a little icky though. Being cut early was pretty common and everybody was well aware of the three hours pay rule by Ontario. Cast food was quickly cut down to certain things on certain days at certain times (with blackout periods depending on the movie). You would go on break three hours in to your six hour shift only to get told that you cut as soon as you returned. People often work open to close (about twelve hours) nonstop in order to get the money for rent-- my location had a lot of people 18+ trying to support themselves. Shift schedules are released the Tuesday for the Friday to Thursday of the upcoming week There's a free movie pass for every week you work but you are discouraged from stocking up and (depending on the manager) expiration dates are written.

When you don't take your breaks and avoid management in fear of being cut early, there's an issue. For on call shifts, YOU as the employee were required to email or call in to see if you were needed (email preferred) three hours beforehand. On more than one occasion I would get a "No thanks!" reply less than an hour before the shift was scheduled to start. I would also get called less than two hours
  more... before a scheduled shift to be told "it's really slow tonight, so we won't be needing you tonight. Thanks!" Managers would also just tag you in the shift swapping facebook page to let you know you were unneeded that particular night.

After a year of working for the company there was talk among the cast of a possible raise (we were naive because it was a new location). Instead we learn that you will never get a raise unless you get promoted to Team Leader or Cast Trainer (although I am aware of an employee who never even received THIS raise and has been trying to bring up the issue for 6+ months with no consistent answer from management besides to ask some else). The issue was brought up at the once a year cast meeting (a first for most). The response from management was "you make minimum wage plus tips" during a time where less than 12 hours scheduled a week was the norm. Other issues brought up during the dedicated period for this exact purpose were either taken as personal affronts or spun beautifully by the GM into a whole other issue (a man who belongs in politics). Discussions quickly fizzled out due to the unwelcoming atmosphere.

Any issue that you have with management needs to be taken to management. This means it is more difficult to bring up a problem when you know it will likely be swept under the rug after a half hearted investigation spanning two weeks and everyone will know about it within the week anyway. Firing someone is done with a similar lack of effort, with a three hour shift just to get the person in the building. There is no actual HR department, just some confidential phone number instead. Management just felt childish, crowding together at bar or in the front of theatres (a concern brought up by guests as well as cast members). Managers also made /jokes/ like "if that was pop then I'd have to hurt you" or discuss the relationships of cast members while on shift, making me as well as other cast members uncomfortable.

The job was easy. The guests were easy. The management was horrible.
Pros
The other cast members who suffer with you, I was able to get drink on company time for wine tasting, free movies, last minute flexibility
Cons
poor management, inconsistent hours, lack of actual communication, you're never gonna get a raise without a promotion
Very fast paced environment with lots to do while working.
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 July 2016
It was a very productive job. Time went by very fast because of how much work that needed to be done. the customers were amazing and the work environment had a energetic vibe. I learned to memorize the menu and promotions. Became very proficient on multitasking and handeling a fast pace environment. The management could use some work due to there being a short amount of managers and the large amount of young employees. But over all, it was a great experience and i enjoyed my position.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
management

2.8