Cineplex

Cineplex Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Stay away, no really stay away... It's horrible.
Cast Member (Former Employee), Silvercity BramptonFebruary 8, 2014
Pros: free movies
Cons: awful hours of operation, poor management, dirty, broken everything
Moral is low, this is the type of job that takes the life out of you. a job like this should be fun but is removed by a poor team of managers, and it's always been this way. There's no employee benefits which is expected for this type of work, however for having no benefits (Other then a laughable 100 dollars tuition reimbursement, seriously.. 100 dollars, I could pay for school faster in a yard sale and a free movie that you rarely get to use) The management team treats you badly they play favorites, for example.. Person A doesn't have to tuck his shirt in but god forbid Person B does, then he gets written up. The management team hand write ups out like it's candy, you could get forced to work a position you where never trained for and be written up without warning despite the fact you have no training. It's dirty, there's grease and dirt everywhere rodents in the cupboards that they make you clean, Supervisors are rude.. They take their personal problems out on you, management is no better they constantly violate ontario ESA, actually... Our whole health and safety committee is comprised of Managers, meaning any safety concerns get brushed off, this is the perfect example of a company that cares for their "Guests" as they call them but not their employees

Been talking to a friend who got a job there a while back, nothing has changed.

This place will treat you like dirt, I remember a manager threatened to
replace me if I refused to work Christmas morning.

It's funny because we're told a few things like
'The guest comes first'
'The Guest is why I'm here' that one is even – more... on the back of our nametag

However if they ever need anything like an extra cup or bag, you're not allowed to give them it since the real thing we should memorize is "The Inventory comes first" Seriously, I remember being yelled at for giving a lady an extra bag to share with her kids.

They also put you in harms way dealing with Irate customers and angry people, It's not a fun job, after 3 hours on concession you'll be pulling your hair out, it's so hard to tell somebody they can't have a bag when there's a stack right behind you. they go "Well give me one of those" stuff like this has gotten me spat on, stuff thrown at me.. It's stupid we get cups thrown at us because we don't do refills. – less
Easy work place and a great starting job.
Cast member (Current Employee), Edmonton, AlbertaDecember 27, 2012
Pros: discounts on food, make new friends, free movies, screenings
Cons: management is give or take, guests can be rude, some disgusting jobs, bad pay
Working at Cineplex was my first job and only job (for now) and I do have some good experiences and bad ones.

I personally thought my management team was great (except for some individuals) but I have some friends who work at other Cineplex establishments say their management team is horrible. All I can say from this is that the management varies depending on your location. You will make lots of friends there especially if you're in high school (age range varies from 15-20 being the average). I personally know almost all my co workers and have no complaints. Most of the rotten co workers quit right off the bat anyways so it never appeared as much of a problem for me. Overall, the atmosphere on the inside of the company (that being your co workers) is generally great and a factor that keeps me from quitting the job.

There are two main positions you get trained in when you start: Floor and concession. Both have pros and cons. Floor is essentially ripping tickets, cleaning spills, cleaning theaters, cleaning washrooms etc. In essence, it is all the grunt work and time can pass very slowly, but you do get the odd time to talk with some co workers or managers if your team is lenient about communication with the team. In concession you will primarily serve guests, make popcorn etc. It goes by very fast when there is a rush and all you're doing is serving people for about an hour straight. When things are slow in concession all you do is make popcorn and get things ready for the next rush, although, there is generally time to talk with people. The people you serve can be very fun – more... and welcoming although I guarantee you will get rude insufferable guests that will surely irritate you. There is opportunities to get trained in other spots like box office, or the other food distributing services such as outtakes, pizza 73 or yogen fruz (varies depending on your theater).

The pay is horrible and it is not easy to get a raise. Even when you do it only goes up a few cents so it's barley worth it. Although, moving up in position can be easy if you are determined. For example, someone in my orientation group went from being a cast member (lowest rank, or what everyone starts out as) to a Team leader (next rank) then to an assistant manager in just four months.

To conclude, the job is very easy and is great for a starter job. I personally learned a lot about myself and I can guarantee you will make many friends there. The people you work with are fun and sometimes the management team throws little parties. In the even that you have a hard time making friends, I would recommend staying clear from this job because it isn't very fun when you have no one to socialize with. – less
fun at first but watch your back
Cast Member (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 27, 2015
Pros: employee perks (discounts, tuition, movie passes, parties & appreciation events), co-workers fun to be around, you will learn lots and become a better worker
Cons: micromanagement, poor work/life balance, low wages, high pressure, favouritism, nasty attitude amongst management, disregard for workers' rights
Worked as a cast member for 3 years. There's always something to do so you don't get bored, but after a while it just stops being enjoyable.

Management is hit or miss. They either care about you and have your back, or are tripping on their power and are too busy scolding you over minor problems to help you. (At my theatre employees would get yelled at in front of their co-workers or even customers all the time and nothing ever got done about it.) But even the nice managers will take things very personally if you have a problem. Pick your poison between people with power unintentionally or intentionally starting drama, I guess. Regardless they all play favourites without bothering to hide it. Our Cast Member of the Month system was always rigged. The same people always get more of the easier & slower matinee shifts. If they don't like you they will try to penalize you for things you do outside of work even if you do not break any rules or policies.

Perks like events for cast members are alright but I never felt like I could just show up to a BBQ and hang out with the same people that screwed me out of a break when I'd do long shifts or tried writing me up because my black socks were all in the wash.

You're expected to make a lot of customers happy literally thousands of people if it's a busy weekend or holiday, but you're making the same wages as someone who works at McDonald's. I did fast food before this and there is absolutely not as much demanded of you there for the same hourly wage. The prospect of "merit based" raises is out there but either they can't ever seem – more... to afford it or they just quietly give it to the employees they're buddies with.

Co workers are good people because you'll be working with 100 or so people that are in the same situation as you so everyone else sees the problems. Sometimes the star children got away with starting fights though.

It can be a rewarding job you'll learn a lot from but take the people in charge with a grain of salt. – less
Not consistent
A full Time Manager (Current Employee), OntarioSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: free movies experience increase skill level
Cons: no work life balance long hours expectations are a bit overwhelming
Overall the company not bad to work for there expectation are a bit out of reach sometimes .They pride themselves with wanting to achieve great guest service but don't want to pay for it when come to staffing . I'm a full time manager that's all I'm going to tell you there never a clear picture when comes to certain aspect of the position. The mystery shop program is a joke it 's suppose to help you with seeing where you need to improve as theatre on the guest perspective however a lot of GM or theatre managers do is set up there friends or a guest who comes on a regular basis . To me to see proper results as in the retail industry you shouldn't know who the mystery shopper is .this is not the case for all theatre but it does happen.They don't train managers properly compare to other companies yes you can move up fast in the company but my advice is to take your time there really no support once your a manager in my opinion.younger cast are not stupid it hard to have them buy into certain procedures and I fine some of the tactics I have heard over the years to get some of them are terrible these kids work there butt of for the most part there are some are just lazy but good luck getting rid of them.The process is too long and time sucking. I fine there to many moving parts some days as a manager to be up in projection floor behind concession and see everything with limited staffing is not guest oriented . I also find you have to many people telling you to many different things work life balance is difficult in my opinion but a lot of manager won't say anything. Anyway if you – more... decided to work for Cineplex take your time if your looking to advance your career ask a lot of questions and have respect for your managers they have a lot on their plate I know it may not seem like to all of you but there is a lot of pressure it is a fun place to work it can be hard at times but what job isn't . Team is everything when you work at theatre and people don't understand that yet well at least at my theatre. I simply do it for the guest that why I go to work everyday . Good luck thanks for reading . – less
Minimum wage part-time and no job security
Floor Staff (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONTApril 7, 2015
Pros: Free Movies (only one friend at a time though)
Cons: Disorganized and unprofessional managment
I have worked for Cineplex Entertainment before for 2 and a half years. Overall it wasn't that bad it was a nice job to have while going through high school. I left the company the first time was because I had just entered college and Cineplex was demanding too many hours.

Recently I have finished my studies and being out of work for about 6 months decided to apply at Cineplex again at a different movie theatre that had just opened. Thinking this would be a good start to raising my job profile again I took the job. I participated in all of the re-training even if a lot of it was the same as before. I was excited to work alongside my fellow cast members some were friends outside the company and even some of management I knew from when I worked with the company the first time.

When I first got hired again I noticed they hired a few too many staff. But knowing the company from before I was sure they would find a way to treat their cast members equally. After working two regular shifts after they opened, one I was sent home early because again there were too many staff. Next day I get call from the GM saying my employment has been terminated and given no explanation why? I asked if there was anyone else I could talk too to find out more information and he gave me a contact to someone with HR. The person from HR told me to go talk to management which goes to show how disorganized and unprofessional they really are. After putting in my time and effort though the years for this company only to find out you are disposable as the next guy they hire. They can't even – more... have a face to face meeting with me to discuss my performance or direction just a few simple words over the phone.

I guess for first time students this is a good job, but if you see yourself still working for this company over the age of 20 I would recommend you find another line for work. – less
Fun and exciting work environment
Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: excellent, vibrant work environment with amazing opportunities
Cons: insubordination and at times unreasonably difficult clients
Responsibilities included supervising fellow associates and ensuring they feel comfortable enough to handle day to day tasks independently.

I learned the importance of teamwork as a Team Leader for we had to communicate with fellow team leaders from various positions (floor, concession, RBO, box office) to ensure human resources were appropriately allocated to the busiest areas. Majority of the tasks and responsibilities would not have been possible without successful team work. I highly recommend new workers to focus on building trust in their fellow associates in developing a healthy and efficient work environment.

Fellow associates were highly helpful in assisting various positions beyond their required job descriptions. In more than one occasions the associates would willingly go above and beyond their duties to ensure the overall operations of the day are at optimal levels.

Hardest part of the job was dealing with insubordination. As this is a movie theater, majority of the associates are high school students with limited attention span and who some times disregarded authority. The appropriate response was leading by example, which the team leaders in Scotiabank Theatre demonstrated time and again. Still, several occasions resulted in consulting with the management team to determine the appropriate approach in an attempt to provide the said associates with the opportunity to become the team members they were expected to be.

The most enjoyable part of the job was taking an active part in ensuring the daily operations were accomplished as efficiently as possible. There – more... are various grey area that were available to the Team Leaders to take responsibility and manipulate to demonstrate their ability to communicate, operate, lead, and train the associates to ensure the overall satisfaction of clients. I greatly appreciate becoming a part of such a great team and learned much about the practical functions of a successful business as Team Leader of Scotiabank Theatre. – less
Excellent faced paced place of employment
Cast Member (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: free movies for myself and a plus one
Cons: short hours
A typical day at Cineplex entertainment starts off with setting out all necessary supplies for the evening rush prepping warm foods such as nachos, pop corn, and hot dogs. Following the evening rush comes the restock for the night rush. After the night rush comes closing duties such as cleaning the used equipment, counting inventory to ensure stock, and ensure all counter tops and floors are swept clean for the next day.

I learned key social skills and how to deal with complicated situation on the fly. I learned how to work fast and run through orders in the minimal amount of time. I learned how to work efficiently as part of a team. I learned how to distribute and manage responsibilities to properly prepare for coming situations and rushes.

Co-workers were very pleasant, friendly, and nice to be around. we all work together to achieve the same goal of delivering customers an exceptional entertainment experience.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers while in the middle of a busy rush. however difficult, no problem is unsolvable and always results in the customer achieving what they desire.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being a part of the concession stand team on a busy night whipping through the heat of things and getting the job done with accuracy
Great job, terrible management
concession stand/box office (Former Employee), Clarington PlaceOctober 4, 2012
Pros: movie screenings after hours, free movie passes with every pay check, amazing people, extremely fun
Cons: not a lot of hours, terrible general manager, stressful at times
I worked at Cineplex for a few years and my co-workers were amazing, I made some of the best friends I've ever had there but the management wasn't that great. The managers were very nice and friendly, very professional and everyone had a great sense of humour but it was the general manager that wasn't very good. He would play favourites a lot and would give the people he liked better that week all the shifts. And his preferences would change a lot, often without reason. So one day you would get a lot of shifts and the next he would give you barely any. The job itself is good, there's always lots to do so you never get bored and the time passes very quickly. Although there are rare occasions where you have to clean up puke, or worse. The job also gives you a pass for you and a friend with every pay check so you don't often have to pay for a movie, and you also get discounted food and drinks while working or right after your shift. Overall I learned a lot from Cineplex and I would still love to work at one in the future, just not the Clarington location because the general manager is not the best guy. I highly recommend finding another place of employment if possible or at least a different Cineplex.
Good job, bad management
Corporate Trainer and Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: free movies, fun midnight release parties, video games on movie sceens
Cons: you don't know when your shift will end, asked to do things without thanks, requested scheduled ignored, must work weekend
(now its been a while since I worked here, so this info might be out of date)

For a long time I enjoyed this job, but by the end I felt very used by management.
The work is very normal, survive industry work. Different food units serve different food, they prepare it as the rules of the company they represent (Burger king, New York Fries) and do a very good job of following both general food service rules and the ones set by the franchise.

As a Team Leader I was in charge of the Unit and up to 14 "Cast". The Cast (and me) can not leave at the end of the day till the unit is clean AND they have counted there money with the treasurers. Who worked on their own time (didn't matter that a Cast member was done at X time, they came when they wanted). Was stuck in the middle between unhappy cast members and management all the time. No one ever went home at the time their schedule said. This is bad when you are ending at 11:00 pm the earliest.
Not worth how horribly your managers make you feel at the end of the night.
Cast member (that should have been promoted) (Former Employee), Edmonton, AB WindermereOctober 26, 2015
Pros: Free movies, flexible schedule.
Cons: Bad hours, horrendous management.
I worked at cineplex for about 2 and a half years. And I have to say it started out awesome, I loved my management team, they loved me. I got along well with all the other members of the team, it was a fun easy started job for someone who was in the 10th grade.

But as the years went on the job got progressively worse. We went through three general managers the entire time that I worked there, and I could easily could more than 20 managers that have worked there over the course of time I had been there, it was kind of ridiculous. Cineplex is supposed to be a started job. On that note, you get annoying managers that are literally going to be working there for their entire lives because that's all they're smart enough to do. You also get managers that believe that you don't deserve to get promoted because they have some personal issues with you that aren't even valid.

I personally believe that this is a bull job, and if you wanna work there be my guest but it is definitely not worth your time if you want to be treated like garbage and not get promoted after having worked there for over two years and then have some stupid kid thats worked there for 3 months get promoted over you.

It's just not worth it.
Awesome student job!
floor, occasional concession (Current Employee), Waterloo Galaxy CinemasMay 13, 2013
Pros: so many! free movies, great staff, easy hours
Cons: you get your schedule on tuesday for one week
Pros of working at a movie theater that even on your busy nights you approximately have an 1-2 hours of a really big rush, and then an hour and a half of down time. The management is also awesome, whenever we'd have had a really stressful situation (understaffed, or a really huge rush we weren't expecting) they give us cast passes (free movie for you and a guest you also get those every pay check) or they buy us all pizza, it isn't much but it shows that they care about their workers. Their system for workers is really well thought out too, they have 3 different departments - floor - RBO - and concession - each department has a team leader and we also have a minimum of 3 managers on duty. I'm currently in high school and its a breeze balancing the two because most shifts i get are on weekends or late nights on weekdays. It's easy to book off shifts because cineplex actually has a website for you and your coworkers, where your schedule is, contacts for everyone you work with, and you can post shifts up for grabs. It's awesome, I wouldn't wanna work anywhere else! (as a student)
Great experierce of a lifetime
Assistant Manager/Teller/Cast Trainer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 28, 2012
Pros: life changing experience
Cons: scheduale
Starting my first employment of Cineplex was exciting yet a little scary. A lot of families, students, and movie lovers come in and out of the theatre.There is a lot of energy that comes through those doors that sometimes it may be intimidating. All the things that go through your mind worrying about how you can achieve their goals or what they are expecting from you can shake you up. But all that worrying will become your strengths. I know that working for cineplex has made me grow and face my most biggest fears.I have become more confident in myself because of the people that I've worked with, everyone has always made the time to listen and solve things together. The hardest part in this job would be always thinking that "there has to be more to make things better" I've always had this state of mind of " It'snever enough" so i try to exceed for the above and beyond. But the most enjoyable part of the job was being able to share my joy about movies with co-workers, the management team and the guests. I believe that Cineplex is a place of discovery, it's always a great experience!
Good people, terrible pay
Assistant Manager at Silvercity Richmond Hill (Current Employee), Richmond Hill, ONAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Free Movies Every Week, 75% off food ONLY when youre working.
Cons: Terrible pay, long hours, and labor depending on your position
This job was amazing for many reasons, but equally bad for the same amount of reasons. The management team and the team you work with ends up to be your family at the end of the day and the environment it great. I'm sure everywhere you go you get people that aren't the best to serve, but this location specially has a lot of people that are constantly grumpy and that's not even the bad part about it. You work the worst possible hours starting around 4 and leaving around 2 am until the last show gets out. Its not an ideal job if you are in school or attempting to provide for a family because the pay is the worst part about it. As an assistant manager I was only paid 11.75 an hour for doing the exact same thing that a full time manager did but they got paid 30000 a year. This job is okay for pocket money but isn't good for the amount of hours and labor put into the job. However if you are doing it for the experience then Cineplex has a lot of knowledge to offer
Good Experience
Cast Member (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 29, 2015
Pros: 50% discount on concession items, free cast passes, tuition bursaries, unionized (paid breaks)
Cons: Late hours, Favoritism, Low Pay
There are several positions that you could work as a cast member: concession, floor, box office, outtakes, and yoyo's to name a few. Working at Cineplex you will acquire the benefits of getting the experience in the customer service industry. In my experience, I would say management displayed a lot of favoritism, and it showed in scheduling, promotions, and treatment to the employees. The co-workers for the most part were friendly, but sometimes the atmosphere reminded me of high-school, a lot of "cliques" and drama. The hardest part of the job was probably the late hours, I've been scheduled to work as late as 1am, and would clock out at 3 am. Consider your weekends gone too. The most enjoyable part of the job is the cast passes (free movies) and the cast food discount of course, our theater was unionized and we had a lot of opportunities to get perks and tuition bursaries. We also received paid breaks, 2 weeks vacation per year, and there are opportunities to receive scholarships for those in post-secondary school. Overall the experience was a good one, I would recommend the job to anyone looking for a part-time job and doesn't mind the late hours.
Few opportunities for advancement, unprofessional work environemnt
Cashier/Sales associate (Former Employee), Mission, BCJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules, free movies.
Cons: variable shifts (2-8 hours), poor management, poor sanitation, terrible pay, no opportunities for advancement or recommendations for other jobs
While it was easy for me to mold my schedule to fit my life, Cineplex offered little to no opportunity for advancement, and outright refuses recommendations to the workers for unexplained reasons. The management did not maintain professional relationships with the workers, and did not intervene when problems arose, allowing workplace dramatics to overtake business.The managers, in an effort to reduce holiday spending, cut worker's hours to prevent them from receiving stat holiday pay increases. Benefits were limited and the pay increases were hardly worth the effort ($0.25 pay increase after promotion to a position that required far more work). The worst part however, is that sanitation policies were inconsistent, changed regularly, and allowed for questionable practices such as using plain water to clean the nozzle part on pop towers, and surfaces that were used for food preparation. Unless you are in desperate need of work, I suggest looking elsewhere.
Poor, Poor higher management team
Lounge Server (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnMarch 31, 2015
Pros: free movies
Cons: Disrespectful Management Team
I worked for Cineplex (Lansdowne location) for a very short time. I was a lounge server at one of their VIP locations and received consistent positive feedback form both guests and management. I was punctual, reliable, and a quick learner. I loved working there.

Then, on the same day that I received many of these compliments, the General Manager, took me to into a glass room that is used for children's birthday parties, with no privacy and fired me. I was balling my eyes out while guests and other staff watched. I was humiliated. I have anxiety and so was very anxious to leave, but as I reached for the door, the GM used force to block the exit with his arm and body, claiming I was too emotional to leave. At that point I was mere patron, and felt totally uncomfortable being trapped in a room with an ex-manager. My anxiety was through the roof.

I received a total lack of respect from the company during the process of my dismissal. This company is a great Canadian embarrassment.

Please think twice before accepting a job with this company.
A decent job for someone with a tight availability.
Cast Member (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, free movies, good work environment.
Cons: hard to find hours during dead seasons, no raises under management, sometimes work past 1 am.
Working at cineplex has its benefits but it also lacks in other areas
The pay is minimum for everyone under full-time management, with supervisors receiving 25 cents more and assistant managers about 75 cents more per hour. There's no real chance for a raise if you're just a part time employee and depending on the time of year and what movies happen to be released that year, the amount of hours available fluctuates GREATLY. On slow days you can be sent home early because they need to save hours, good for those that want to just leave that day, but bad for those that are trying to make money. The job has its rewards like almost never having to pay for a movie, and getting discounts on food. If you're trying to make money during the summer this is a good job, but if you're trying to save throughout the year and earn a stable paycheque then you're better off somewhere else.
Fast-paced and friendly working environment.
frontline cook/ concession attendant (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONNovember 20, 2015
A typical day at work was attending to the guest at the movie theater and always go above and beyond to make a lasting impression. One thing that sticks with me till this day is, "Deliver An Exceptional Guest Service Experience."
I learned the intricacies of the customer service industry.
I learned good communication skills and interpersonal skills. For example. How to upsell, how to stock merchandise, how to be neat and tidy.
The co-workers were from all different walks of life and backgrounds.
The co-workers were friendly for the most part but at times can be selfish. With that being said if you would ask for help; there response would be ask someone else or the Team Leader. Don't get me wrong your work life is not your personal and Cineplex thought me how to be a professional individual.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with rushes and showtimes and keeping a smile on your face because of the fast-paced work environment. As an employee of Cineplex you were always on your feet.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the free movie voucher every pay stub.
Good place to start off when young, only good thing it has is flexibility
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: flexible, always open = more shifts, can pick up and give shifts with ease
Cons: no paid breaks, very petty and you have to kiss up to managers to get noticed
Super flexible, you can craft your schedule the way you want by taking or getting rid of shifts by trading with your co-workers

100+ employees meant someone is most of the time willing to cover your shift or you can take a shift

You deal with many people on your worse of nights and fight boredom on your less than stellar days

They're open 365 days a year, so you can work Stat. holidays and get paid more

Managers aren't collectively together so messages weren't always delivered to you about promotions and changes that happen overnight, it is like another high-school where drama and theft happens in the workplace

You aren't paid for your 15 min breaks, let alone even get one if you work more than 4 hours.
The Life of a Cast Member
Cast Member (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABAugust 6, 2015
Pros: Some items are free, free movies for yourself and one other.
Cons: Long hours, minimum wage, 30 minute unpaid break, and no benefits for those below a certain level of management.
As a Cineplex cast member we are supposed to complete the jobs we are assigned that day. As I generally work in concession my job is to sell the customers their food, get their food to them as well as trying to sell combos. During all this, cast members are supposed to keep their areas stocked as well as doing some cleaning of our work areas. At the end of the shift, each of the two cast members assigned to a zone are supposed to clean the dishes and area of that zone as well as restocking the candy tier. After all this is done, generally the cast members are allowed to leave at the end of their shift. However they must complete the cleaning and restocking before they go, unless some other arrangements with management have been made. To do all this work without falling behind each cast member has to work as fast and effective as possible.

All in all a person's satisfaction with this job can be decided by 3 factors. The Management, the other employees, and that person them self.