Cineplex Employee Reviews in Canada

Silvershitty
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 23, 2015
Barely no benefits were given. Management is as awful as can be, most are incredibly conceited and extremely passive aggressive. They tend to take it out on cast members for things that doesn't involve cast members at all. Co-workers are the same everywhere, some you like, some you hate! I believe that they're one of the few reasons Cineplex is worth staying for because all other factors are ridiculous. The only great thing about cineplex is the flexibility of the schedules. Since it's always busy, you're almost always guaranteed a shift whether it be 4 hours all the way to 8 hours. Lots of people tend to give shifts away and take shifts from people, it all depends on the hours and the area you're trained in.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Management, customers, toxic-environment for the most part, no raise will ever be given unless you apply to move up (it's not worth it)
Productive workplace with interesting people
Cineplex Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Working at Cineplex had a lot of benefits, they had flexible hours, and friendly workers.I enjoyed the people I worked with and have learned a lot about customer service and how to handle certain situations. It was an amazing place to work.
Pros
Lots of benefits; free movies
Cons
Not enough hours
Fun and active work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Working at Cineplex has been a great experience for being a first job. The hours are quite flexible and the benefits are very nice for a working student. Management has been very welcoming and understanding to my as an employee . They are very helpful and accommodate to me being a working student. The hardest part of the job would be working late hours or just doing closing shifts but overall I recommend this job for high school students for its flexibility , gaining work experience, and working with such great co-workers who are very reliable and nice.
okay
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2016
Management sucked, they would find anyway, shape or form to write you up. they would tell you everything you did wrong and wouldn't help you improve and tell you how to fix it.
Co-workers were probably the best part of the job, you meet so many nice people of all ages and cultures and if you had a problem they would help you to the best of their ability/

I have gotten better at my communication skills both verbally and written and i have learned more about food handling and preparation and what working with costumers all the time feels like.
Pros
discounts and free movies
Cons
management
Great cast, difficult managers
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONApril 4, 2016
Of the 8 months that I worked at Cineplex, I learned a lot through my fellow cast member and management making me a harder worker throughout my time there. The hardest part of the job would be that our rushes were inconsistent and sometimes we would lack the staff and be swarmed with guests. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the interaction with guests everyday. The majority of the time the people were extremely friendly and I would see them consistently. Although the management was tough and sometimes controversial, I would recommend my friends to work there for the environment one would receive.
Pros
Free movies, half price lunches
Cons
Difficult, egotistic managers.
The Life of a Cast Member
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 6, 2015
As a Cineplex cast member we are supposed to complete the jobs we are assigned that day. As I generally work in concession my job is to sell the customers their food, get their food to them as well as trying to sell combos. During all this, cast members are supposed to keep their areas stocked as well as doing some cleaning of our work areas. At the end of the shift, each of the two cast members assigned to a zone are supposed to clean the dishes and area of that zone as well as restocking the candy tier. After all this is done, generally the cast members are allowed to leave at the end of their shift. However they must complete the cleaning and restocking before they go, unless some other arrangements with management have been made. To do all this work without falling behind each cast member has to work as fast and effective as possible.

All in all a person's satisfaction with this job can be decided by 3 factors. The Management, the other employees, and that person them self.
Pros
Some items are free, free movies for yourself and one other.
Cons
Long hours, minimum wage, 30 minute unpaid break, and no benefits for those below a certain level of management.
Good Part-time Job
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONAugust 1, 2016
What I like about the job is that the work day goes pretty fast, the customers are pretty reasonable at my location. The thing I don't like about it is that scheduling seems to be hit and miss. You have to be available Friday, Saturday, Sunday and another weekday, and you may or may not be scheduled all or none of these days. This is a problem if you want this as a summer job to make money for school. Our location does have a Facebook page where shifts are posted, but if they are not taken by another employee, you have to go in. So it's hard to make plans around that. Another pet peeve is that based on busyness, you may be cut, sometimes even before your shift begins. That has happened to me where I was asked to go home before I even started working. They were reasonable, and said I could stay if I wanted to, but being new I didn't want to make waves.
Pros
Free movie passes, free popcorn and drinks
Cons
Shifts change each week, late hours
A good first job.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Cineplex Markham & VIPJune 22, 2016
Gives a good experience of what the real world is like for teenagers. It was a great first job. Flexible. However, they hired so many people that I would get scheduled 1-2 shifts. Before I would get 3-4 shifts, and I would get called in many times. This is great for me because I am looking to make money. Now every week people are fighting for shifts on our shift group chat. Management is always changing. You get lucky with a cool manager, or a total jacka**. Good for experience. They used to give one movie pass every week. Then they changed it to giving movie passes only on mondays, Wednesdays, and thursdays. No one got the time to go every week on the weekdays to get a movie pass. Most of us work on the weekends. After that they have changed it to one movie pass every pay day. Ridiculous.
Supportive team environment
Concession Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 30, 2016
Typical day in the Concession Department involves serving theatre guests and processing transactions as well as popping Popcorn and merchandising candy shelves, and cleaning food prep areas. This is a great team environment with supportive management willing to help. The hardest part of the job is serving the difficult guests as well as during busy periods making sure supply does not run out. This, however is only a casual position with schedule released weekly, so you have no idea how many hours you'll be working week to week which makes budgeting difficult.
Pros
Free movies, popcorn, staff events
Cons
Casual hours and min wage pay
Productive workplace with friendly management.
Concession Worker (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 11, 2016
In a typical day at the Cineplex I would stock concession, take orders, fill orders, and make sure the are is clean and orderly. I have learned good customer service skills and how to do cash outs. The management was always on their feet with solving quests and staffs problems throughout the day, and they always kept the workplace a very safe and orderly place to work at. The co-workers are always polite to staff and quests and it creates an overall great experience. I believe the hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the costumers we get. Some days we get ones who are so bad we have to pass them along to the managers to deal with. The most enjoyable part of working at the Cineplex is how the management and fellow coworkers come to be one big family. We all have each others backs and work together to accomplish everyday's tasks.
Pros
free drinks/popcorn on breaks and cast passes for movies
Cons
late night shifts
Fun workplace
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 16, 2016
A day at work is always fun with the people I work with, they are funny, hard working people, great at team work, express and show themselves truly. The managers are always there to assist us, answer any questions we have, open-minded, listens, active and very fun to be around with.

The hardest part of the job is cleaning a theater, especially when a movie is sold out and you need to make sure you clean everything in a short amount of time.

Enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk to a lot of our guests, helping them and just see them interact with us. As well as the free movie benefits that we get after working or when we are not working.
Pros
Free movies, discounted food, free popcorn and drink when working.
Cons
short hours
Constant rushes if your into fast and friendly service
Bar/Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 14, 2016
-business varies depending on the days, Tuesdays and week ends are the busiest and can be fun when you come to work prepared and looking forward to the rush
-I learned working with a team can be difficult when everyone is not on the same boat but when you come to an agreement things move fast and efficiently
-management team not so friendly if you don't "bend over backwards" or work extra long shifts
-hardest part about work is pulling someone else's weight and your own when everybody doesn't work together
-most enjoyable part of the job are the friendly guests, the rushes/line ups, and the smell of popcorn!
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Labour Work
Easy but inconsistent
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 3, 2016
The work is really simple. Shifts usually range from 5-8 hrs but many don't get scheduled often. The first month I started working I got 3-5 shifts a week. Now I get 0-2 shifts weekly. Management is unorganized and forgetful. Some managers make it difficult to change your availability. It is pretty easy to give away and take shifts. It is good for people that would like to work two jobs. I love getting free movies. You only get 50% off food when you're working, not when you're a guest.The trainers are not good. They are decent for concession but they do not train you well on other areas.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Not enough shifts
Issue of favouritism within the workplace
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2016
It's a good place to work if it's your first job , but they never raise the wages even after working there for a couple of years still being paid the minimum. They literally count every second of work and training sucked they literally didn't explain anything. Tons of the staff just stand and talk to each other with managers and if you go up and say hi to someone you know for a split second you get yelled at so I find that unfair. many co-workers wear jeans to work and don't get told anything and when I forgot my pants once they wrote me up overall the management sucked and were extremely rude and unwelcoming.
Pros
Free tickets (unless they throw them out lol)
Cons
Management is extremely ignorant
Great Staff, Hard Work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2016
As fun as it was working with a bright dynamic team, management continued to schedule me during school hours and did not allow for a balanced week.
Pros
Free soda
Cons
Socially interactive and productive workplace
Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Mission, BCApril 21, 2016
When new popular movies are released my workplace environment is very fast paced and demanding, where the workers are left with little room for errors. On the other hand when it is slower on a Wednesday night for example, the workplace becomes very lethargic and boring. There are nights where you have to kill a lot of time before you can do anything. Cineplex is one big team and it is very important to have fun productive workers to make it a good work environment. The hardest part of the job is when I have to deal with unreasonable guests and workers, and ironically the most enjoyable part is when I get to interact with interesting happy guests and workers. Management try very hard to make the building run smoothly and efficiently, and I get along with them very well.
Exciting place to work - always something going on!
Food Service & Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2016
I oversee all day-to-day operations of the building. We live by the motto "the guest is why" - which means it's all about providing exceptional experiences to our guests.

I love being in a fast-paced environment because I love to keep busy - one of the reasons I enjoy working for Cineplex.

The hardest part of the job would be working extremely late hours often and not being compensated fairly.

Cineplex has allowed me to develop all kinds of skills over the years and I am very grateful for all of the experiences.
Pros
Free movies, good experience
Cons
Poor salary
Very fast paced environment with lots to do while working.
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 6, 2016
It was a very productive job. Time went by very fast because of how much work that needed to be done. the customers were amazing and the work environment had a energetic vibe. I learned to memorize the menu and promotions. Became very proficient on multitasking and handeling a fast pace environment. The management could use some work due to there being a short amount of managers and the large amount of young employees. But over all, it was a great experience and i enjoyed my position.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
management
Good atmosphere and company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  La Salle, QCOctober 20, 2015
Great company to work for.
Lots of opportunity for advancement.
Great co-workers.
Flexible schedule.
Good benefits.
Worst job ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONAugust 4, 2016
One of the easiest jobs I've ever had. The management, although nice, don't do a very good job at all. They hire too many people. Barely got any hours. Numerous times I've had my hours for the week cut. When the theatre is dead they have too many people and send everyone home, when it's busy they have too little people and you're stuck with a long line of impatient angry customers. I've worked there for over a year before quitting and countless times I've received $100 pay checks, barely enough to pay my phone bill. A first year business student can manage Cineplex better than the current management they have there now. Probably the second worst job you can have besides fast food. You have no chance at a raise. All cast members get min wage. TL's get like 25 cents more, management gets paid about $13. Maybe that's why they're so bad. If you work at any of the food serving places you're gonna go home smelling like garbage. Would only recommend to a high school student as a first job. The only positive I can think about is how flexible the hours can be, perfect for a full time student, although I don't think it would be worth it to degrade yourself to work at this dump.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Too many to list

2.8