Cineplex Employee Reviews

Don't work here
Theater Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 22, 2016
On the surface the job and company look very good. But on the inside they short change their employees at every opportunity. They put on wages for all hourly staff as well as their bonus structures are very difficult to attain. Good starter job for teenagers entering the work place, but that's about it.
Benefits
Cons
Pay and advancement. Lack of incentives
A easy job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 19, 2016
A straight forward job of cleaning theatres, selling movie tickets, concession food and informing customers on any available deals and also communicating with the guest to ensure excellent service.
Takes advantage of designers and new graduates
Graphic Designer (Freelance) (Former Employee) –  London, ONSeptember 19, 2016
Horrible work environment and management. They fire people on spot when they make a mistake and don't support their employees when they need help.

Working here I watched as the management team took advantage of those who just graduated from school and expected them to work overtime WITHOUT PAY.

Designers had to ask for permission to go home every night, because there is so much work, you are looked upon if you don't stay to help. Also employees are asked to come in on weekends and work.

Very happy I was only on freelance because to dedicate my every day life to this kind of work environment is so depressing.
better than mcdonalds, worse than everything
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 17, 2016
a typical day in the concessions department consists of confirming floats, making popcorn, selling concession items and all that mess. Every hour we have to prepare for a rush when there's a new movie or a popular one that comes out. Now the job is an OK job if you're a teenager trying to make some extra money, but the managers can be a real pain. you're not guaranteed hours if you ask, so a cast member would typically work 2 shifts a week or 1 shift and one on call which is not guaranteed to turn into a shift. managers will reject your availability even if you have school and DELIBERATELY schedule you outside of your availability. when you hear stories from the team leaders, you could tell that a lot has changed about work life. also, the place is quite disgusting, from washrooms to rats in the stock room and even finding condoms in the auditoriums during theatre cleans, only way to mask the pure disgust and regret from taking this job is saying to yourself "hey, it's a job"
Pros
Free popcorn and movies
Cons
unpaid break, gross environment, rude customers, management.
Great Starter Job
Cast member (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCSeptember 10, 2016
Has reasonable hours
Amazing Coworkers and Managers
Can be emotionally draining with difficult customers
Fast paced
Can be stressful to some
But overall good place to be
Easy Job
Pros
Amazing Coworkers Fun environment Great Managers
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours
fun working environment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 7, 2016
good management, fun working environment.
Only con is salary which is too low. The events organised by the cineplex are fun and you can watch a free movie anywhere.
Pros
free movies, good and fun events
Cons
salary
Not too Bad for a First job
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBSeptember 5, 2016
I did enjoy my employment here. It is a good job for anyone who is looking for their first job. Unfortunately it is open EVERY day of the year..
Pros
Free Popcorn and Drinks while on shift. Free Entry to Movies anytime W/ notice to management
Cons
Sometimes works untill after midnight. Open EVERY day of year.
Perfect balance between work and play
Cast Trainer (Current Employee) –  Moose Jaw, SKSeptember 2, 2016
Working at the movie theatre is a perfect job for high school students. The management is great at scheduling time off work so you are able to do sports, vacation, etc. With the hours being based on high school students school times it works great. Start times aren't till four and you finish at nine on weekdays.
Pros
not many hours
Cons
not many hours
good
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 31, 2016
it is good its good great good wonderful its good why yall making me write dis huh imma get bare thumbs down still but its all cool i is smartt very smart kbye
Small break room with a dark walk and little to no hope of advancement
cast member (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 30, 2016
Get chewed out and mistreated for things you couldn't have known, and experience no mercy from people who don't care about you. Barely legal, and overall the worst working experience I have ever had.
Pros
tiny bag of popcorn and they don't charge you for water
Cons
you'll want to die
Fake People & No Leadership
Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 26, 2016
Keep looking. This has to be one of the most dysfunctional companies I have ever had the misfortune of being a part of.

Management says one thing, means another.
Inconsistencies between what is said and what gets done.
Lack of training leads to high turnover from 0 training to employees and heavy workloads. Overtime a plenty.
Overuse of temporary workers.
Management has verbally threatened whole departments with firings.
LOTS of office politics and backstabbing. If you're not one of the "cool group", you'll never get anywhere in this company.
Not a team atmosphere.
Life / Work imbalance is huge.
Pros
Decent pay, Free movies.
Cons
See above.
love working here
Cast member (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 21, 2016
Cineplex is a great place to work if you are a student with a busy life and need flexible hours. You get to meet a lot of interesting people and they offer you great training for future jobs
Productive workplace with friendly management.
Concession Worker (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 11, 2016
In a typical day at the Cineplex I would stock concession, take orders, fill orders, and make sure the are is clean and orderly. I have learned good customer service skills and how to do cash outs. The management was always on their feet with solving quests and staffs problems throughout the day, and they always kept the workplace a very safe and orderly place to work at. The co-workers are always polite to staff and quests and it creates an overall great experience. I believe the hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the costumers we get. Some days we get ones who are so bad we have to pass them along to the managers to deal with. The most enjoyable part of working at the Cineplex is how the management and fellow coworkers come to be one big family. We all have each others backs and work together to accomplish everyday's tasks.
Pros
free drinks/popcorn on breaks and cast passes for movies
Cons
late night shifts
Find another place
bilingual technical support (Former Employee) –  London, OntarioAugust 10, 2016
I worked for them when they were EK3 based out of London, Ontario, and subsequently purchased by Cineplex.

I witnessed threats by managers in-person to a whole department, and they threatened to fire everyone if they did not agree to abide by their ultra-strict rules, working conditions. Some people were complaining about no lunch breaks, temporary workers being hired, not being treated fairly.

The work environment is extremely stressful, in that their work load is being compressed onto fewer and fewer desperate workers. I met several people who were friends, and were acting very chummy, but appeared to be keeping it hidden. One woman was fired after I was told she was dating one of the co-workers. Some of the older workers openly threaten newer, temporary recruits with subtle threats as well.

The benefits were excellent at the time I Was working there, but I hear they have been cut down. The pay was also-substandard. I dont view compensation as incredibly important than working environment, and co-workers who are toxic, as these make the place unbearable. I would not recommend working for them as EK3 or their current incarnation company until the management, work culture improve. Until they then can cry all they want about not being able to find certain skillsets. They only have themselves to blame. There is also racism going on there, as they often hire people from outside the country, and make them do almost all of the on-call work, and these people are afraid to say anything. I dont see how the govt can approve these people to work here when there are already
  more... many people out of work looking for it. There was also a problem with the managers being treated horribly by the top managers. I hear she went to another company. They also basically force people to attend staff meetings where they can make their opinion of you whether or not you will be in "the club" which I find illegal.  less
Pros
Was great benefits;
Cons
long work hours; on-call for no extra pay; toxic culture; nepotism; temp workers
Entertainment company
Part Time Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONAugust 5, 2016
Entertainment company that provides a variety of different roles within the Cineplex community, I worked as floor member and a concession member.
Pros
free movies
Worst job ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONAugust 4, 2016
One of the easiest jobs I've ever had. The management, although nice, don't do a very good job at all. They hire too many people. Barely got any hours. Numerous times I've had my hours for the week cut. When the theatre is dead they have too many people and send everyone home, when it's busy they have too little people and you're stuck with a long line of impatient angry customers. I've worked there for over a year before quitting and countless times I've received $100 pay checks, barely enough to pay my phone bill. A first year business student can manage Cineplex better than the current management they have there now. Probably the second worst job you can have besides fast food. You have no chance at a raise. All cast members get min wage. TL's get like 25 cents more, management gets paid about $13. Maybe that's why they're so bad. If you work at any of the food serving places you're gonna go home smelling like garbage. Would only recommend to a high school student as a first job. The only positive I can think about is how flexible the hours can be, perfect for a full time student, although I don't think it would be worth it to degrade yourself to work at this dump.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Too many to list
Easy but inconsistent
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 3, 2016
The work is really simple. Shifts usually range from 5-8 hrs but many don't get scheduled often. The first month I started working I got 3-5 shifts a week. Now I get 0-2 shifts weekly. Management is unorganized and forgetful. Some managers make it difficult to change your availability. It is pretty easy to give away and take shifts. It is good for people that would like to work two jobs. I love getting free movies. You only get 50% off food when you're working, not when you're a guest.The trainers are not good. They are decent for concession but they do not train you well on other areas.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Not enough shifts
Good Part-time Job
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONAugust 1, 2016
What I like about the job is that the work day goes pretty fast, the customers are pretty reasonable at my location. The thing I don't like about it is that scheduling seems to be hit and miss. You have to be available Friday, Saturday, Sunday and another weekday, and you may or may not be scheduled all or none of these days. This is a problem if you want this as a summer job to make money for school. Our location does have a Facebook page where shifts are posted, but if they are not taken by another employee, you have to go in. So it's hard to make plans around that. Another pet peeve is that based on busyness, you may be cut, sometimes even before your shift begins. That has happened to me where I was asked to go home before I even started working. They were reasonable, and said I could stay if I wanted to, but being new I didn't want to make waves.
Pros
Free movie passes, free popcorn and drinks
Cons
Shifts change each week, late hours
Its ok
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 28, 2016
Not horrible. but its pretty good. Managers are very caring and flexible with schedules. Working there was fun. Recommend working there to gain experience and meet new people!
Productive and Busy enviroment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2016
A shift consist of:
1. preparing food for guest
2. open or close the unit
3. Cleaning
4. Cashier

I also did extra cleaning jobs that was not in my job description. this include taking apart the pizza oven to repair and clean. also clean oil vents
Pros
they enjoyed my works at was considered for promotion within 4 months
Cons
unfair earning

2.8