Cineplex Employee Reviews in Canada

okay
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2016
Management sucked, they would find anyway, shape or form to write you up. they would tell you everything you did wrong and wouldn't help you improve and tell you how to fix it.
Co-workers were probably the best part of the job, you meet so many nice people of all ages and cultures and if you had a problem they would help you to the best of their ability/

I have gotten better at my communication skills both verbally and written and i have learned more about food handling and preparation and what working with costumers all the time feels like.
Pros
discounts and free movies
Cons
management
Silvershitty
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 23, 2015
Barely no benefits were given. Management is as awful as can be, most are incredibly conceited and extremely passive aggressive. They tend to take it out on cast members for things that doesn't involve cast members at all. Co-workers are the same everywhere, some you like, some you hate! I believe that they're one of the few reasons Cineplex is worth staying for because all other factors are ridiculous. The only great thing about cineplex is the flexibility of the schedules. Since it's always busy, you're almost always guaranteed a shift whether it be 4 hours all the way to 8 hours. Lots of people tend to give shifts away and take shifts from people, it all depends on the hours and the area you're trained in.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Management, customers, toxic-environment for the most part, no raise will ever be given unless you apply to move up (it's not worth it)
Great cast, difficult managers
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONApril 4, 2016
Of the 8 months that I worked at Cineplex, I learned a lot through my fellow cast member and management making me a harder worker throughout my time there. The hardest part of the job would be that our rushes were inconsistent and sometimes we would lack the staff and be swarmed with guests. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the interaction with guests everyday. The majority of the time the people were extremely friendly and I would see them consistently. Although the management was tough and sometimes controversial, I would recommend my friends to work there for the environment one would receive.
Pros
Free movies, half price lunches
Cons
Difficult, egotistic managers.
Supportive team environment
Concession Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 30, 2016
Typical day in the Concession Department involves serving theatre guests and processing transactions as well as popping Popcorn and merchandising candy shelves, and cleaning food prep areas. This is a great team environment with supportive management willing to help. The hardest part of the job is serving the difficult guests as well as during busy periods making sure supply does not run out. This, however is only a casual position with schedule released weekly, so you have no idea how many hours you'll be working week to week which makes budgeting difficult.
Pros
Free movies, popcorn, staff events
Cons
Casual hours and min wage pay
Constant rushes if your into fast and friendly service
Bar/Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 14, 2016
-business varies depending on the days, Tuesdays and week ends are the busiest and can be fun when you come to work prepared and looking forward to the rush
-I learned working with a team can be difficult when everyone is not on the same boat but when you come to an agreement things move fast and efficiently
-management team not so friendly if you don't "bend over backwards" or work extra long shifts
-hardest part about work is pulling someone else's weight and your own when everybody doesn't work together
-most enjoyable part of the job are the friendly guests, the rushes/line ups, and the smell of popcorn!
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Labour Work
Great place for a first part-time job!
Health & Safety Chair (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 27, 2015
The environment is ideal for supporting growth, learning and skills in young members of the workforce community. It teaches people skills, working under pressure, working with a team, and communication with both customers, co-workers, and management team.
Pros
free movies
Cons
not much room for promotion/further career opportunities
Great Staff, Hard Work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2016
As fun as it was working with a bright dynamic team, management continued to schedule me during school hours and did not allow for a balanced week.
Pros
Free soda
The Life of a Cast Member
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 6, 2015
As a Cineplex cast member we are supposed to complete the jobs we are assigned that day. As I generally work in concession my job is to sell the customers their food, get their food to them as well as trying to sell combos. During all this, cast members are supposed to keep their areas stocked as well as doing some cleaning of our work areas. At the end of the shift, each of the two cast members assigned to a zone are supposed to clean the dishes and area of that zone as well as restocking the candy tier. After all this is done, generally the cast members are allowed to leave at the end of their shift. However they must complete the cleaning and restocking before they go, unless some other arrangements with management have been made. To do all this work without falling behind each cast member has to work as fast and effective as possible.

All in all a person's satisfaction with this job can be decided by 3 factors. The Management, the other employees, and that person them self.
Pros
Some items are free, free movies for yourself and one other.
Cons
Long hours, minimum wage, 30 minute unpaid break, and no benefits for those below a certain level of management.
Fun and active work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Working at Cineplex has been a great experience for being a first job. The hours are quite flexible and the benefits are very nice for a working student. Management has been very welcoming and understanding to my as an employee . They are very helpful and accommodate to me being a working student. The hardest part of the job would be working late hours or just doing closing shifts but overall I recommend this job for high school students for its flexibility , gaining work experience, and working with such great co-workers who are very reliable and nice.
The managers are bullies in Red Deer
Box office, concession, and usher (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 16, 2015
I worked at this place for almost two years and got passed over for promotions many, many times. I trained the people that got promoted to Supervisor, Asst. Manager and Teller. Countless kids would come to me about how the GM was treating them and claiming they couldn't do anything about it, I always told them to go to HR and the Labor Standards Board. I emailed HR on two different occasions about the GM with my own problems and nothing was done about it or him. This company is only in it for the money, the employees mean nothing to them because there is always another naive kid to take your place if you try to fight for your rights. APPLICANTS BEWARE!!!!!!
Pros
NONE
Cons
THE MANAGERS
Good people, terrible pay
Assistant Manager at Silvercity Richmond Hill (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONAugust 27, 2015
This job was amazing for many reasons, but equally bad for the same amount of reasons. The management team and the team you work with ends up to be your family at the end of the day and the environment it great. I'm sure everywhere you go you get people that aren't the best to serve, but this location specially has a lot of people that are constantly grumpy and that's not even the bad part about it. You work the worst possible hours starting around 4 and leaving around 2 am until the last show gets out. Its not an ideal job if you are in school or attempting to provide for a family because the pay is the worst part about it. As an assistant manager I was only paid 11.75 an hour for doing the exact same thing that a full time manager did but they got paid 30000 a year. This job is okay for pocket money but isn't good for the amount of hours and labor put into the job. However if you are doing it for the experience then Cineplex has a lot of knowledge to offer
Pros
Free Movies Every Week, 75% off food ONLY when youre working.
Cons
Terrible pay, long hours, and labor depending on your position
fun at first but watch your back
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 27, 2015
Worked as a cast member for 3 years. There's always something to do so you don't get bored, but after a while it just stops being enjoyable.

Management is hit or miss. They either care about you and have your back, or are tripping on their power and are too busy scolding you over minor problems to help you. (At my theatre employees would get yelled at in front of their co-workers or even customers all the time and nothing ever got done about it.) But even the nice managers will take things very personally if you have a problem. Pick your poison between people with power unintentionally or intentionally starting drama, I guess. Regardless they all play favourites without bothering to hide it. Our Cast Member of the Month system was always rigged. The same people always get more of the easier & slower matinee shifts. If they don't like you they will try to penalize you for things you do outside of work even if you do not break any rules or policies.

Perks like events for cast members are alright but I never felt like I could just show up to a BBQ and hang out with the same people that screwed me out of a break when I'd do long shifts or tried writing me up because my black socks were all in the wash.

You're expected to make a lot of customers happy literally thousands of people if it's a busy weekend or holiday, but you're making the same wages as someone who works at McDonald's. I did fast food before this and there is absolutely not as much demanded of you there for the same hourly wage. The prospect of "merit based" raises is out there but either they can't ever seem
  more... to afford it or they just quietly give it to the employees they're buddies with.

Co workers are good people because you'll be working with 100 or so people that are in the same situation as you so everyone else sees the problems. Sometimes the star children got away with starting fights though.

It can be a rewarding job you'll learn a lot from but take the people in charge with a grain of salt.
Pros
employee perks (discounts, tuition, movie passes, parties & appreciation events), co-workers fun to be around, you will learn lots and become a better worker
Cons
micromanagement, poor work/life balance, low wages, high pressure, favouritism, nasty attitude amongst management, disregard for workers' rights
fun workplace
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 23, 2016
the other cast members are amazing people, made some really good friends there. Management picks favourite cast members, and makes sure they're always happy compared to their "non-favourites". The managers are very rude and judgemental.
Pros
free movies, fun environment, cast members are friendly
Cons
management, hours, hard labour for kids
Excellent place with open culture
Purchasing and Fulfillment Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 2, 2015
A typical day of work consisted of doing my job correctly and enjoying it even though it was not so stimulating. I learned the world of purchasing and corporate sales my short time there and grateful for it. Management was alright, they seemed to be absent a lot of the times and didn't get a proper feel for their employees. The co-workers were typically all nice and well liked.
Pros
Outings and open culture
Cons
lack of communication with management
Super fun place to work!
Outtakes staff (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2015
So far I've had a very positive experience working for Cineplex! The hours and pay aren't bad if you're just looking to put extra cash in your pocket. All the employees are friendly and talk to each other like they're family. The management are very nice and do not have that "I am better than you petty employees" vibe like most managers have, All in all I love working here!
Pros
Commission in concession, decent hours, works around your schedule, fun employees, friendly management
Cons
slow in the early morning/afternoon, minimum wage
An interactive and social workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONJanuary 1, 2016
A typical day at work would be walking in, starting the day off by greeting guests, and selling cineplex concession items. The management team is motivating and understanding. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting different guests everyday and providing happiness by giving them their movie tickets. You gain customer service experience, cleaning experience, and retail experience.
Pros
Free movies
Socially interactive and productive workplace
Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Mission, BCApril 21, 2016
When new popular movies are released my workplace environment is very fast paced and demanding, where the workers are left with little room for errors. On the other hand when it is slower on a Wednesday night for example, the workplace becomes very lethargic and boring. There are nights where you have to kill a lot of time before you can do anything. Cineplex is one big team and it is very important to have fun productive workers to make it a good work environment. The hardest part of the job is when I have to deal with unreasonable guests and workers, and ironically the most enjoyable part is when I get to interact with interesting happy guests and workers. Management try very hard to make the building run smoothly and efficiently, and I get along with them very well.
Good place to start off when young, only good thing it has is flexibility
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Super flexible, you can craft your schedule the way you want by taking or getting rid of shifts by trading with your co-workers

100+ employees meant someone is most of the time willing to cover your shift or you can take a shift

You deal with many people on your worse of nights and fight boredom on your less than stellar days

They're open 365 days a year, so you can work Stat. holidays and get paid more

Managers aren't collectively together so messages weren't always delivered to you about promotions and changes that happen overnight, it is like another high-school where drama and theft happens in the workplace

You aren't paid for your 15 min breaks, let alone even get one if you work more than 4 hours.
Pros
flexible, always open = more shifts, can pick up and give shifts with ease
Cons
no paid breaks, very petty and you have to kiss up to managers to get noticed
Fast-paced and friendly working environment.
frontline cook/ concession attendant (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONNovember 20, 2015
A typical day at work was attending to the guest at the movie theater and always go above and beyond to make a lasting impression. One thing that sticks with me till this day is, "Deliver An Exceptional Guest Service Experience."
I learned the intricacies of the customer service industry.
I learned good communication skills and interpersonal skills. For example. How to upsell, how to stock merchandise, how to be neat and tidy.
The co-workers were from all different walks of life and backgrounds.
The co-workers were friendly for the most part but at times can be selfish. With that being said if you would ask for help; there response would be ask someone else or the Team Leader. Don't get me wrong your work life is not your personal and Cineplex thought me how to be a professional individual.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with rushes and showtimes and keeping a smile on your face because of the fast-paced work environment. As an employee of Cineplex you were always on your feet.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the free movie voucher every pay stub.
Issue of favouritism within the workplace
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2016
It's a good place to work if it's your first job , but they never raise the wages even after working there for a couple of years still being paid the minimum. They literally count every second of work and training sucked they literally didn't explain anything. Tons of the staff just stand and talk to each other with managers and if you go up and say hi to someone you know for a split second you get yelled at so I find that unfair. many co-workers wear jeans to work and don't get told anything and when I forgot my pants once they wrote me up overall the management sucked and were extremely rude and unwelcoming.
Pros
Free tickets (unless they throw them out lol)
Cons
Management is extremely ignorant