Cineplex Employee Reviews

cineplex chinook is a great firs job, but i would not reccomend it to people with previous experience
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 February 2017
this job is a perfect first job. the management can be a little hit and miss, but overall a decent place to work. you will not receive a raise, unless you move up into a leadership role. the whole environment is like you're in high school, with everyone dating each other, and there being a lot of drama. but i have found some real friends working here.
Pros
free movie tickets for you and one friend, EXTREMELY flexible hours
Cons
free movie tickets come with a LOT of rules, hours are hard to come by because there are so many employees. very busy location, i don't recomend if you get anxiety.
It's decent
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK14 February 2017
It's a good first job with flexible hours and good coworkers. However, there's no option to get bonuses or raises to add onto the minimum wage pay. There are also quite a few broken things within the building that aren't taken care of right away, as well as long hours depending on how busy it is. I've been there until 1 AM before due to late movies and the overall intake of guests. But all in all, it's a good place to work, just not too long term.
Pros
Free movies, half off food during work, good coworkers, good work environment
Cons
Long hours, no bonuses or raises, minor maintenance issues
Was fun and great in the beginning, but...
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 November 2016
In the beginning, the job was fun, then as a few things changed in management, it plummeted. Work became stressful all the time, we would be understaffed and working as fast as we could during the in-seat services.

I think what lacked the most when I worked there was the lack of appreciation for the hard work the cast members do. We never got "awesome work guys!" or thank you's, anything of the sort. That's what maybe drove some of the cast to not care about doing tasks when it was slow or put the effort in. We always had disappointed looks from the managers, as though we didn't work hard enough when the in-seat services were busy, and we always did out best to get the food out to the guests a.s.a.p.
Pros
Free movie tickets and discounted food at Outtakes. Make a lot of friends. Tips.
Cons
Short hours, mnimum wage, no raises, might be scheduled outside of availability, have to work Christmas Day, on-call shifts.
Cineplex
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Cineplex was a great starting point, but by the end of my time there, I wasn't enjoying it at all. Granted that my availability there was only mornings, there would rarely be any shifts besides Outtakes. The pay wasn't the greatest, as there were raises few and far between. Trying to earn Cast Member of the month was apparently really easy for some people, as I was never given that award. The managers there, some were great, some were OK, some were not great.
Pros
Great friendships, free movies, learned valuable skills.
Cons
Really repetitive shifts, very little pay raise.
Fun job, not a ton of hours
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2016
This job is great for a first job or for a part time job while in school. There is no minimum hours you have to meet except on your default availability. The cast is friendly and easy to get along with. So is management. There isn't a ton of growing oppertunity and raises are rarely given. Most people I know have been working there for 3 years and have not surpassed minimum wage.
Pros
Half price outtakes food, free movie for you and a guest every pay perios
Cons
Not a lot of shifts given
Fun workplace - perfect for first job experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  East Gwillimbury, ON30 January 2017
Open to lots of hours, employees can trade in shifts or give shifts away to fellow employees.
Numerous areas and departments to be trained in.
Friendly staff and co-workers.
Decent pay.
Employee Benefits.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Free Movie (Bi-weekly), Employee Discount and Friendly Staff
Cons
General Minimum Wage, May be stuck in one department for lengthy amount of time
Minimum Wage but Maximum Expectations
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON26 February 2017
If you're in high school, retired or just looking for something casual this is an alright place to work. Once you start taking it seriously or want to advance it gets really tough. If you work hard and do well you'll only be rewarded with harder work, more work, and higher expectations with only a token 25 cent raise to show for it. People who slack off are never disciplined for it and you're expected to make up the work. Your ability to advance depends on the location and size of the theatre. If you're in a small town you have to wait until someone moves on or retires. When I was promoted it took a while to actually get the promised raise and training, and new hires were not informed of the hierarchy which caused some confusion as to who had authority and where. Basically there is very little incentive to succeed. They even changed the commission system for concession to a points system that is far below what you would earn on cash system there used to be. Plus they go around trying to cut costs through low wage, no benefits, and other measures and then turn around and hand you the company newsletter praising how profitable the company is. They pay you lip service saying that cast are "the engine that drives the train" but you can't help but wonder if you're so integral why you feel like you don't have anything real to show for it.
Pros
Free popcorn and drinks on shift, half price food, free movie tickets
Cons
Nights, weekends and holidays, minimum wage, abuse is rewarded
Don't.
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Red Deer County, AB24 February 2017
Just don't. I've worked here for almost 3 years. Management is terrible. Fellow cast are the only reason I've stayed. I'm still at minimum wage after my entire time working here, not one raise. The management is horrible, angry, moody people who see you as just a number, and just as easily replaced. Favouritism is a massive problem here, if the managers don't like you, don't expect to be treated like a human being. No thanks yous or anything of the sort if you do a good job. Pat yourself and your fellow cast on the back - because that's all you're gonna get.

Everything is always broken. You're thinking "tell the managers right away if something broke!" Well, yes and no. If you do, you'll be blamed for breaking it. If you don't, you'll be yelled at because you didn't. Pick your poison.

Everything is always pinned on you if something goes wrong. The scheduling system is stupid to say the least. I can no longer access mine, and am forced to call the office every week to get it. If they mess up while they're reading the schedule to you, it's on you. Trust me. Late by 15 minutes because of something that was out of your control? Too bad, you're about to get yourself a write up.

Guests will jump down your throat for the tiniest things - management will too. Working in concession you get used to being verbally abused, it actually takes you aback when you get a complement.

All in all, I like my job, I like my fellow cast members, but the management will make you cry. (not joking, actually happened many times to other cast members)
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Everything.
Great Place to work
Guest Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2017
Management treats you like family, the company is guest focused but is very helpful when it comes to their employees. The offer fair compensation and room for advancement.
Fun workplace, mainly youth
Bartender/ Server/ Cook (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON28 September 2016
Cineplex is a very fun place to work at since it has a great atmosphere, co-workers are kind and great to work with. Teamwork plays a big role in the theatre, which is great. Our management team helps cast members whenever the theatre gets very busy and is approachable. They build a relationship with the cast members, therefore helping the work environment feel more welcoming.
Pros
One free movie every two weeks
Cons
No benefits, low income
Great experience.
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2016
It was a great experience for what it was. I worked at a VIP where I was hired because of my restaurant background and was told that I could help develop their lounge service and bar. On the theatre level my GM was great on getting feedback and suggestions but that's where it stopped. Good luck trying to give any sort of suggestion to Operations Manager of VIP or the team that develops the kitchen and bar menu items all you get is an email saying "Thank you for your feedback"
As a part time assistant manager, you are required to know/do as much as an full-time manager but without the pay and benefits. That's their loop hole. As a part timer they can pay you less but work you more.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with entitled guests that have extremely high expectations since it's called VIP. We do our best but they just expect us to serve them hand and foot.
The best and worst part are the coworkers. Some of them too are entitled 20 something year old that expect a pay without the hard work. 90% of them are very hard working. The other 10 need to be fired which is a long and lengthy process because it's such a big corporation.
Pros
Free movies (only benefit unless you're a full time manager. Great GM
Cons
Lots of work. Some lazy management. Some upper managements are con artists. Low pay.
Worst job ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON4 August 2016
One of the easiest jobs I've ever had. The management, although nice, don't do a very good job at all. They hire too many people. Barely got any hours. Numerous times I've had my hours for the week cut. When the theatre is dead they have too many people and send everyone home, when it's busy they have too little people and you're stuck with a long line of impatient angry customers. I've worked there for over a year before quitting and countless times I've received $100 pay checks, barely enough to pay my phone bill. A first year business student can manage Cineplex better than the current management they have there now. Probably the second worst job you can have besides fast food. You have no chance at a raise. All cast members get min wage. TL's get like 25 cents more, management gets paid about $13. Maybe that's why they're so bad. If you work at any of the food serving places you're gonna go home smelling like garbage. Would only recommend to a high school student as a first job. The only positive I can think about is how flexible the hours can be, perfect for a full time student, although I don't think it would be worth it to degrade yourself to work at this dump.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Too many to list
Has it's pros and cons
Cineplex (Current Employee) –  Ontario18 December 2016
Stable job possible
Some chance at internal advancement
Good benefits
Average vacation
Average salary range
Possible bonus depending on fiscal year overall
Very good place to work as a student
Richmond Hill- Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 January 2017
A very good place to work at, it provides good training, experience and the cast feels like family. The benefits are amazing, and it rewards well for working good
Pros
Benefits of the job
Don't work here
Theater Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 September 2016
On the surface the job and company look very good. But on the inside they short change their employees at every opportunity. They put on wages for all hourly staff as well as their bonus structures are very difficult to attain. Good starter job for teenagers entering the work place, but that's about it.
Benefits
Cons
Pay and advancement. Lack of incentives
Fantastic job opportunities and company growth
MANAGEMENT/RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS10 October 2016
Can work your way up, senior management works with you to go after your dreams and career options. The company provides good benefits, and teaches courses to further your skills.
Fun workplace
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 July 2016
A day at work is always fun with the people I work with, they are funny, hard working people, great at team work, express and show themselves truly. The managers are always there to assist us, answer any questions we have, open-minded, listens, active and very fun to be around with.

The hardest part of the job is cleaning a theater, especially when a movie is sold out and you need to make sure you clean everything in a short amount of time.

Enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk to a lot of our guests, helping them and just see them interact with us. As well as the free movie benefits that we get after working or when we are not working.
Pros
Free movies, discounted food, free popcorn and drink when working.
Cons
short hours
Issue of favouritism within the workplace
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 May 2016
It's a good place to work if it's your first job , but they never raise the wages even after working there for a couple of years still being paid the minimum. They literally count every second of work and training sucked they literally didn't explain anything. Tons of the staff just stand and talk to each other with managers and if you go up and say hi to someone you know for a split second you get yelled at so I find that unfair. many co-workers wear jeans to work and don't get told anything and when I forgot my pants once they wrote me up overall the management sucked and were extremely rude and unwelcoming.
Pros
Free tickets (unless they throw them out lol)
Cons
Management is extremely ignorant
fun working environment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC7 September 2016
good management, fun working environment.
Only con is salary which is too low. The events organised by the cineplex are fun and you can watch a free movie anywhere.
Pros
free movies, good and fun events
Cons
salary
You come home smelling of popcorn.
Concession Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 March 2017
I worked in concession, so a normal day consists of cash handling, working a point of sale terminal (filling food orders), offering promotions on combos, lots of up-selling the normal orders to combos to earn incentives. It a high pressure, fast paced environment, must do well under pressure to work at this job.
Pros
free movies
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cineplex. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8