Cineplex Employee Reviews in Canada

1. preparing food for guest
2. open or close the unit
3. Cleaning
4. Cashier

I also did extra cleaning jobs that was not in my job description. this include taking apart the pizza oven to repair and clean. also clean oil vents
Pros
they enjoyed my works at was considered for promotion within 4 months
Cons
unfair earning
Manager
Theatre Manager (Former Employee) –  Various locationsJuly 22, 2016
Salary was a joke, favouritism is rampant. No actual training as a manager, just job shadowing. You will be screamed at, either from customer or your manager/gm
Pros
Discount on garbage fast food
Cons
Wage, corporate culture, work environment
Fun workplace
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 16, 2016
A day at work is always fun with the people I work with, they are funny, hard working people, great at team work, express and show themselves truly. The managers are always there to assist us, answer any questions we have, open-minded, listens, active and very fun to be around with.

The hardest part of the job is cleaning a theater, especially when a movie is sold out and you need to make sure you clean everything in a short amount of time.

Enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk to a lot of our guests, helping them and just see them interact with us. As well as the free movie benefits that we get after working or when we are not working.
Pros
Free movies, discounted food, free popcorn and drink when working.
Cons
short hours
Productive and fun workplace.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 15, 2016
Working at Cineplex was an amazing opportunity as I learnt a lot of skills, although they were not very flexible with schedules as I would get off past midnight on weekdays! I found working there for roughly 6 hour shifts and only getting paid $10.45/hr was not worth it.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
The salary isnt enough compared to how hard I work
Hot mess with a side of bad managemnet
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2016
I was hired with the opening of a new location in Ottawa. The training went well, the first six months were pretty decent, and the sense of camaraderie in the cast members was great. I attended health and safety meetings, cast screenings and events.I applied myself at my job, cross trained to other positions with the traditional side and VIP and was well liked (or at the very least not disliked).

Things were always a little icky though. Being cut early was pretty common and everybody was well aware of the three hours pay rule by Ontario. Cast food was quickly cut down to certain things on certain days at certain times (with blackout periods depending on the movie). You would go on break three hours in to your six hour shift only to get told that you cut as soon as you returned. People often work open to close (about twelve hours) nonstop in order to get the money for rent-- my location had a lot of people 18+ trying to support themselves. Shift schedules are released the Tuesday for the Friday to Thursday of the upcoming week There's a free movie pass for every week you work but you are discouraged from stocking up and (depending on the manager) expiration dates are written.

When you don't take your breaks and avoid management in fear of being cut early, there's an issue. For on call shifts, YOU as the employee were required to email or call in to see if you were needed (email preferred) three hours beforehand. On more than one occasion I would get a "No thanks!" reply less than an hour before the shift was scheduled to start. I would also get called less than two hours
  more... before a scheduled shift to be told "it's really slow tonight, so we won't be needing you tonight. Thanks!" Managers would also just tag you in the shift swapping facebook page to let you know you were unneeded that particular night.

After a year of working for the company there was talk among the cast of a possible raise (we were naive because it was a new location). Instead we learn that you will never get a raise unless you get promoted to Team Leader or Cast Trainer (although I am aware of an employee who never even received THIS raise and has been trying to bring up the issue for 6+ months with no consistent answer from management besides to ask some else). The issue was brought up at the once a year cast meeting (a first for most). The response from management was "you make minimum wage plus tips" during a time where less than 12 hours scheduled a week was the norm. Other issues brought up during the dedicated period for this exact purpose were either taken as personal affronts or spun beautifully by the GM into a whole other issue (a man who belongs in politics). Discussions quickly fizzled out due to the unwelcoming atmosphere.

Any issue that you have with management needs to be taken to management. This means it is more difficult to bring up a problem when you know it will likely be swept under the rug after a half hearted investigation spanning two weeks and everyone will know about it within the week anyway. Firing someone is done with a similar lack of effort, with a three hour shift just to get the person in the building. There is no actual HR department, just some confidential phone number instead. Management just felt childish, crowding together at bar or in the front of theatres (a concern brought up by guests as well as cast members). Managers also made /jokes/ like "if that was pop then I'd have to hurt you" or discuss the relationships of cast members while on shift, making me as well as other cast members uncomfortable.

The job was easy. The guests were easy. The management was horrible.
Pros
The other cast members who suffer with you, I was able to get drink on company time for wine tasting, free movies, last minute flexibility
Cons
poor management, inconsistent hours, lack of actual communication, you're never gonna get a raise without a promotion
Fun!
Part time Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 7, 2016
Great place for my 1st part time job, I learned a lot if my customer service skills here. Made some long lasting friends! It was a lot of fun!
Very fast paced environment with lots to do while working.
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 6, 2016
It was a very productive job. Time went by very fast because of how much work that needed to be done. the customers were amazing and the work environment had a energetic vibe. I learned to memorize the menu and promotions. Became very proficient on multitasking and handeling a fast pace environment. The management could use some work due to there being a short amount of managers and the large amount of young employees. But over all, it was a great experience and i enjoyed my position.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
management
Great Community
Team Leader (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 24, 2016
Cineplex is a great first jobs for a lot of students, making a very fun and exciting community to work with. Moreover, management is accustomed to dealing with new hires, thus they know how to teach younger employees.
A good first job.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Cineplex Markham & VIPJune 22, 2016
Gives a good experience of what the real world is like for teenagers. It was a great first job. Flexible. However, they hired so many people that I would get scheduled 1-2 shifts. Before I would get 3-4 shifts, and I would get called in many times. This is great for me because I am looking to make money. Now every week people are fighting for shifts on our shift group chat. Management is always changing. You get lucky with a cool manager, or a total jacka**. Good for experience. They used to give one movie pass every week. Then they changed it to giving movie passes only on mondays, Wednesdays, and thursdays. No one got the time to go every week on the weekdays to get a movie pass. Most of us work on the weekends. After that they have changed it to one movie pass every pay day. Ridiculous.
Fun workplace environment
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 13, 2016
I loved working at Cineplex because it was a very fun working environment. Co-workers were mostly around the same age group as myself and so it was easy to get along with them. It was not too busy on regular days. On busier occasions (i.e. PA Day, Christmas Day etc.), all employees worked as a team to ensure everything ran smoothly.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Work hours varied week to week
It's a nice place to work.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 5, 2016
It's a good place to work they just don't give enough shifts to the people that need them. The people there are really nice and it's a good environment to work in.
Pros
Good place to work/
Cons
Not enough shifts
It was great when I first started working there as a teen
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2016
When I first started working at the movie theatre under old management I thought it was fun working there. Cineplex used to be Famous players and it being an entertainment company they really knew how to treat their hard working employees. I wouldn't deny the experience I got working there though. I learned a lot.
Pros
free movies
Exciting place to work - always something going on!
Food Service & Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2016
I oversee all day-to-day operations of the building. We live by the motto "the guest is why" - which means it's all about providing exceptional experiences to our guests.

I love being in a fast-paced environment because I love to keep busy - one of the reasons I enjoy working for Cineplex.

The hardest part of the job would be working extremely late hours often and not being compensated fairly.

Cineplex has allowed me to develop all kinds of skills over the years and I am very grateful for all of the experiences.
Pros
Free movies, good experience
Cons
Poor salary
Fun workplace with an inviting atmosphere
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 26, 2016
This job has been very fun. As an employee, you get to learn a lot of interpersonal skills when interacting with guests and co-workers. I can say that I never have an awful day working at Cineplex!
A great group of people to work with
Floor Lead (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONMay 20, 2016
Everyday working there was made enduring by the excellent group of people that I worked with on a daily basis. The job itself was hard work, and fulfilling. The management staff was not as involved and personable as I would have liked
Socially Interactive & Supportive Team Enviroment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 17, 2016
As a cast member, I truly enjoy working with Cineplex. At my theater my management team is truly amazing and they go above and beyond to make sure that you are in a comfortable and safe work environment.
Pros
Free Movies, Flexible Hours
Cons
Minimum Wage Pay
fun
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONMay 12, 2016
could be fun and stressful at the same time. Overall based on the level of work salary was not good. Benefits were great and were on par with other companies
Pros
free movies
Cons
hours
Good fun place to work at.
Concession Attendant (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONMay 7, 2016
my co-workers are really nice and work was never boring. the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting interesting people and learning great service.
Issue of favouritism within the workplace
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2016
It's a good place to work if it's your first job , but they never raise the wages even after working there for a couple of years still being paid the minimum. They literally count every second of work and training sucked they literally didn't explain anything. Tons of the staff just stand and talk to each other with managers and if you go up and say hi to someone you know for a split second you get yelled at so I find that unfair. many co-workers wear jeans to work and don't get told anything and when I forgot my pants once they wrote me up overall the management sucked and were extremely rude and unwelcoming.
Pros
Free tickets (unless they throw them out lol)
Cons
Management is extremely ignorant
Its a great place to work if your in school
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
I personally enjoy working at Cineplex because it isn't a difficult job, and is very flexible with the hours when your in school or have another job.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Short Hours

2.8