Cineplex Employee Reviews in Canada

Fake People & No Leadership
Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 26, 2016
Keep looking. This has to be one of the most dysfunctional companies I have ever had the misfortune of being a part of.

Management says one thing, means another.
Inconsistencies between what is said and what gets done.
Lack of training leads to high turnover from 0 training to employees and heavy workloads. Overtime a plenty.
Overuse of temporary workers.
Management has verbally threatened whole departments with firings.
LOTS of office politics and backstabbing. If you're not one of the "cool group", you'll never get anywhere in this company.
Not a team atmosphere.
Life / Work imbalance is huge.
Pros
Decent pay, Free movies.
Cons
See above.
Easy but inconsistent
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 3, 2016
The work is really simple. Shifts usually range from 5-8 hrs but many don't get scheduled often. The first month I started working I got 3-5 shifts a week. Now I get 0-2 shifts weekly. Management is unorganized and forgetful. Some managers make it difficult to change your availability. It is pretty easy to give away and take shifts. It is good for people that would like to work two jobs. I love getting free movies. You only get 50% off food when you're working, not when you're a guest.The trainers are not good. They are decent for concession but they do not train you well on other areas.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Not enough shifts
Fun workplace
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 16, 2016
A day at work is always fun with the people I work with, they are funny, hard working people, great at team work, express and show themselves truly. The managers are always there to assist us, answer any questions we have, open-minded, listens, active and very fun to be around with.

The hardest part of the job is cleaning a theater, especially when a movie is sold out and you need to make sure you clean everything in a short amount of time.

Enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk to a lot of our guests, helping them and just see them interact with us. As well as the free movie benefits that we get after working or when we are not working.
Pros
Free movies, discounted food, free popcorn and drink when working.
Cons
short hours
Very fast paced environment with lots to do while working.
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 6, 2016
It was a very productive job. Time went by very fast because of how much work that needed to be done. the customers were amazing and the work environment had a energetic vibe. I learned to memorize the menu and promotions. Became very proficient on multitasking and handeling a fast pace environment. The management could use some work due to there being a short amount of managers and the large amount of young employees. But over all, it was a great experience and i enjoyed my position.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
management
A good first job.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Cineplex Markham & VIPJune 22, 2016
Gives a good experience of what the real world is like for teenagers. It was a great first job. Flexible. However, they hired so many people that I would get scheduled 1-2 shifts. Before I would get 3-4 shifts, and I would get called in many times. This is great for me because I am looking to make money. Now every week people are fighting for shifts on our shift group chat. Management is always changing. You get lucky with a cool manager, or a total jacka**. Good for experience. They used to give one movie pass every week. Then they changed it to giving movie passes only on mondays, Wednesdays, and thursdays. No one got the time to go every week on the weekdays to get a movie pass. Most of us work on the weekends. After that they have changed it to one movie pass every pay day. Ridiculous.
Exciting place to work - always something going on!
Food Service & Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2016
I oversee all day-to-day operations of the building. We live by the motto "the guest is why" - which means it's all about providing exceptional experiences to our guests.

I love being in a fast-paced environment because I love to keep busy - one of the reasons I enjoy working for Cineplex.

The hardest part of the job would be working extremely late hours often and not being compensated fairly.

Cineplex has allowed me to develop all kinds of skills over the years and I am very grateful for all of the experiences.
Pros
Free movies, good experience
Cons
Poor salary
Fun workplace environment
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 13, 2016
I loved working at Cineplex because it was a very fun working environment. Co-workers were mostly around the same age group as myself and so it was easy to get along with them. It was not too busy on regular days. On busier occasions (i.e. PA Day, Christmas Day etc.), all employees worked as a team to ensure everything ran smoothly.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Work hours varied week to week
Issue of favouritism within the workplace
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 3, 2016
It's a good place to work if it's your first job , but they never raise the wages even after working there for a couple of years still being paid the minimum. They literally count every second of work and training sucked they literally didn't explain anything. Tons of the staff just stand and talk to each other with managers and if you go up and say hi to someone you know for a split second you get yelled at so I find that unfair. many co-workers wear jeans to work and don't get told anything and when I forgot my pants once they wrote me up overall the management sucked and were extremely rude and unwelcoming.
Pros
Free tickets (unless they throw them out lol)
Cons
Management is extremely ignorant
Productive and fun workplace.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 15, 2016
Working at Cineplex was an amazing opportunity as I learnt a lot of skills, although they were not very flexible with schedules as I would get off past midnight on weekdays! I found working there for roughly 6 hour shifts and only getting paid $10.45/hr was not worth it.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
The salary isnt enough compared to how hard I work
Productive and Busy enviroment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2016
A shift consist of:
1. preparing food for guest
2. open or close the unit
3. Cleaning
4. Cashier

I also did extra cleaning jobs that was not in my job description. this include taking apart the pizza oven to repair and clean. also clean oil vents
Pros
they enjoyed my works at was considered for promotion within 4 months
Cons
unfair earning
It was great when I first started working there as a teen
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 3, 2016
When I first started working at the movie theatre under old management I thought it was fun working there. Cineplex used to be Famous players and it being an entertainment company they really knew how to treat their hard working employees. I wouldn't deny the experience I got working there though. I learned a lot.
Pros
free movies
Good Part-time Job
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONAugust 1, 2016
What I like about the job is that the work day goes pretty fast, the customers are pretty reasonable at my location. The thing I don't like about it is that scheduling seems to be hit and miss. You have to be available Friday, Saturday, Sunday and another weekday, and you may or may not be scheduled all or none of these days. This is a problem if you want this as a summer job to make money for school. Our location does have a Facebook page where shifts are posted, but if they are not taken by another employee, you have to go in. So it's hard to make plans around that. Another pet peeve is that based on busyness, you may be cut, sometimes even before your shift begins. That has happened to me where I was asked to go home before I even started working. They were reasonable, and said I could stay if I wanted to, but being new I didn't want to make waves.
Pros
Free movie passes, free popcorn and drinks
Cons
Shifts change each week, late hours
Socially interactive and productive workplace
Treasurer (Current Employee) –  Mission, BCApril 21, 2016
When new popular movies are released my workplace environment is very fast paced and demanding, where the workers are left with little room for errors. On the other hand when it is slower on a Wednesday night for example, the workplace becomes very lethargic and boring. There are nights where you have to kill a lot of time before you can do anything. Cineplex is one big team and it is very important to have fun productive workers to make it a good work environment. The hardest part of the job is when I have to deal with unreasonable guests and workers, and ironically the most enjoyable part is when I get to interact with interesting happy guests and workers. Management try very hard to make the building run smoothly and efficiently, and I get along with them very well.
Positive work environment.
Cineplex Odeon Cinemas Concessions Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 6, 2016
An average day at work consisted of a seven hour shift with a thirty minute break. We were usually busy which made the time go by quickly.The managers were very understanding and my fellow employees were very friendly.I found that making popcorn while serving customers to be the most difficult. Overall Cineplex was a great place to work.
Pros
Free cast popcorn and cast drinks.
Cons
Distance from where I live
Great cast, difficult managers
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ONApril 4, 2016
Of the 8 months that I worked at Cineplex, I learned a lot through my fellow cast member and management making me a harder worker throughout my time there. The hardest part of the job would be that our rushes were inconsistent and sometimes we would lack the staff and be swarmed with guests. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the interaction with guests everyday. The majority of the time the people were extremely friendly and I would see them consistently. Although the management was tough and sometimes controversial, I would recommend my friends to work there for the environment one would receive.
Pros
Free movies, half price lunches
Cons
Difficult, egotistic managers.
Supportive team environment
Concession Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMarch 30, 2016
Typical day in the Concession Department involves serving theatre guests and processing transactions as well as popping Popcorn and merchandising candy shelves, and cleaning food prep areas. This is a great team environment with supportive management willing to help. The hardest part of the job is serving the difficult guests as well as during busy periods making sure supply does not run out. This, however is only a casual position with schedule released weekly, so you have no idea how many hours you'll be working week to week which makes budgeting difficult.
Pros
Free movies, popcorn, staff events
Cons
Casual hours and min wage pay
okay
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2016
Management sucked, they would find anyway, shape or form to write you up. they would tell you everything you did wrong and wouldn't help you improve and tell you how to fix it.
Co-workers were probably the best part of the job, you meet so many nice people of all ages and cultures and if you had a problem they would help you to the best of their ability/

I have gotten better at my communication skills both verbally and written and i have learned more about food handling and preparation and what working with costumers all the time feels like.
Pros
discounts and free movies
Cons
management
Productive workplace with friendly management.
Concession Worker (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 11, 2016
In a typical day at the Cineplex I would stock concession, take orders, fill orders, and make sure the are is clean and orderly. I have learned good customer service skills and how to do cash outs. The management was always on their feet with solving quests and staffs problems throughout the day, and they always kept the workplace a very safe and orderly place to work at. The co-workers are always polite to staff and quests and it creates an overall great experience. I believe the hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the costumers we get. Some days we get ones who are so bad we have to pass them along to the managers to deal with. The most enjoyable part of working at the Cineplex is how the management and fellow coworkers come to be one big family. We all have each others backs and work together to accomplish everyday's tasks.
Pros
free drinks/popcorn on breaks and cast passes for movies
Cons
late night shifts
Constant rushes if your into fast and friendly service
Bar/Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 14, 2016
-business varies depending on the days, Tuesdays and week ends are the busiest and can be fun when you come to work prepared and looking forward to the rush
-I learned working with a team can be difficult when everyone is not on the same boat but when you come to an agreement things move fast and efficiently
-management team not so friendly if you don't "bend over backwards" or work extra long shifts
-hardest part about work is pulling someone else's weight and your own when everybody doesn't work together
-most enjoyable part of the job are the friendly guests, the rushes/line ups, and the smell of popcorn!
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Labour Work
Friendly workplace
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 7, 2016
A typical day would be to open the restaurant by making the necessary preparations for the day. Make sure everything is set to properly and efficiently serve the guest. I learned to work better in groups and under pressure also better communication. The hardest part of the job was to learn to work under pressure. The most enjoyable part was working with such a big base of employees because it had a very friendly environment, even with the managers.
Pros
free movies.
Cons
short breaks.

2.8