Cineplex Employee Reviews in Canada

Small break room with a dark walk and little to no hope of advancement
cast member (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 30, 2016
Get chewed out and mistreated for things you couldn't have known, and experience no mercy from people who don't care about you. Barely legal, and overall the worst working experience I have ever had.
Pros
tiny bag of popcorn and they don't charge you for water
Cons
you'll want to die
Fake People & No Leadership
Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 26, 2016
Keep looking. This has to be one of the most dysfunctional companies I have ever had the misfortune of being a part of.

Management says one thing, means another.
Inconsistencies between what is said and what gets done.
Lack of training leads to high turnover from 0 training to employees and heavy workloads. Overtime a plenty.
Overuse of temporary workers.
Management has verbally threatened whole departments with firings.
LOTS of office politics and backstabbing. If you're not one of the "cool group", you'll never get anywhere in this company.
Not a team atmosphere.
Life / Work imbalance is huge.
Pros
Decent pay, Free movies.
Cons
See above.
love working here
Cast member (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 21, 2016
Cineplex is a great place to work if you are a student with a busy life and need flexible hours. You get to meet a lot of interesting people and they offer you great training for future jobs
Productive workplace with friendly management.
Concession Worker (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 11, 2016
In a typical day at the Cineplex I would stock concession, take orders, fill orders, and make sure the are is clean and orderly. I have learned good customer service skills and how to do cash outs. The management was always on their feet with solving quests and staffs problems throughout the day, and they always kept the workplace a very safe and orderly place to work at. The co-workers are always polite to staff and quests and it creates an overall great experience. I believe the hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the costumers we get. Some days we get ones who are so bad we have to pass them along to the managers to deal with. The most enjoyable part of working at the Cineplex is how the management and fellow coworkers come to be one big family. We all have each others backs and work together to accomplish everyday's tasks.
Pros
free drinks/popcorn on breaks and cast passes for movies
Cons
late night shifts
Find another place
bilingual technical support (Former Employee) –  London, OntarioAugust 10, 2016
I worked for them when they were EK3 based out of London, Ontario, and subsequently purchased by Cineplex.

I witnessed threats by managers in-person to a whole department, and they threatened to fire everyone if they did not agree to abide by their ultra-strict rules, working conditions. Some people were complaining about no lunch breaks, temporary workers being hired, not being treated fairly.

The work environment is extremely stressful, in that their work load is being compressed onto fewer and fewer desperate workers. I met several people who were friends, and were acting very chummy, but appeared to be keeping it hidden. One woman was fired after I was told she was dating one of the co-workers. Some of the older workers openly threaten newer, temporary recruits with subtle threats as well.

The benefits were excellent at the time I Was working there, but I hear they have been cut down. The pay was also-substandard. I dont view compensation as incredibly important than working environment, and co-workers who are toxic, as these make the place unbearable. I would not recommend working for them as EK3 or their current incarnation company until the management, work culture improve. Until they then can cry all they want about not being able to find certain skillsets. They only have themselves to blame. There is also racism going on there, as they often hire people from outside the country, and make them do almost all of the on-call work, and these people are afraid to say anything. I dont see how the govt can approve these people to work here when there are already
  more... many people out of work looking for it. There was also a problem with the managers being treated horribly by the top managers. I hear she went to another company. They also basically force people to attend staff meetings where they can make their opinion of you whether or not you will be in "the club" which I find illegal.  less
Pros
Was great benefits;
Cons
long work hours; on-call for no extra pay; toxic culture; nepotism; temp workers
Entertainment company
Part Time Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONAugust 5, 2016
Entertainment company that provides a variety of different roles within the Cineplex community, I worked as floor member and a concession member.
Pros
free movies
Worst job ever
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ONAugust 4, 2016
One of the easiest jobs I've ever had. The management, although nice, don't do a very good job at all. They hire too many people. Barely got any hours. Numerous times I've had my hours for the week cut. When the theatre is dead they have too many people and send everyone home, when it's busy they have too little people and you're stuck with a long line of impatient angry customers. I've worked there for over a year before quitting and countless times I've received $100 pay checks, barely enough to pay my phone bill. A first year business student can manage Cineplex better than the current management they have there now. Probably the second worst job you can have besides fast food. You have no chance at a raise. All cast members get min wage. TL's get like 25 cents more, management gets paid about $13. Maybe that's why they're so bad. If you work at any of the food serving places you're gonna go home smelling like garbage. Would only recommend to a high school student as a first job. The only positive I can think about is how flexible the hours can be, perfect for a full time student, although I don't think it would be worth it to degrade yourself to work at this dump.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Too many to list
Easy but inconsistent
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONAugust 3, 2016
The work is really simple. Shifts usually range from 5-8 hrs but many don't get scheduled often. The first month I started working I got 3-5 shifts a week. Now I get 0-2 shifts weekly. Management is unorganized and forgetful. Some managers make it difficult to change your availability. It is pretty easy to give away and take shifts. It is good for people that would like to work two jobs. I love getting free movies. You only get 50% off food when you're working, not when you're a guest.The trainers are not good. They are decent for concession but they do not train you well on other areas.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Not enough shifts
Good Part-time Job
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONAugust 1, 2016
What I like about the job is that the work day goes pretty fast, the customers are pretty reasonable at my location. The thing I don't like about it is that scheduling seems to be hit and miss. You have to be available Friday, Saturday, Sunday and another weekday, and you may or may not be scheduled all or none of these days. This is a problem if you want this as a summer job to make money for school. Our location does have a Facebook page where shifts are posted, but if they are not taken by another employee, you have to go in. So it's hard to make plans around that. Another pet peeve is that based on busyness, you may be cut, sometimes even before your shift begins. That has happened to me where I was asked to go home before I even started working. They were reasonable, and said I could stay if I wanted to, but being new I didn't want to make waves.
Pros
Free movie passes, free popcorn and drinks
Cons
Shifts change each week, late hours
Its ok
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCJuly 28, 2016
Not horrible. but its pretty good. Managers are very caring and flexible with schedules. Working there was fun. Recommend working there to gain experience and meet new people!
Productive and Busy enviroment
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 24, 2016
A shift consist of:
1. preparing food for guest
2. open or close the unit
3. Cleaning
4. Cashier

I also did extra cleaning jobs that was not in my job description. this include taking apart the pizza oven to repair and clean. also clean oil vents
Pros
they enjoyed my works at was considered for promotion within 4 months
Cons
unfair earning
Manager
Theatre Manager (Former Employee) –  Various locationsJuly 22, 2016
Salary was a joke, favouritism is rampant. No actual training as a manager, just job shadowing. You will be screamed at, either from customer or your manager/gm
Pros
Discount on garbage fast food
Cons
Wage, corporate culture, work environment
Fun workplace
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 16, 2016
A day at work is always fun with the people I work with, they are funny, hard working people, great at team work, express and show themselves truly. The managers are always there to assist us, answer any questions we have, open-minded, listens, active and very fun to be around with.

The hardest part of the job is cleaning a theater, especially when a movie is sold out and you need to make sure you clean everything in a short amount of time.

Enjoyable part of the job is getting to talk to a lot of our guests, helping them and just see them interact with us. As well as the free movie benefits that we get after working or when we are not working.
Pros
Free movies, discounted food, free popcorn and drink when working.
Cons
short hours
Productive and fun workplace.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 15, 2016
Working at Cineplex was an amazing opportunity as I learnt a lot of skills, although they were not very flexible with schedules as I would get off past midnight on weekdays! I found working there for roughly 6 hour shifts and only getting paid $10.45/hr was not worth it.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
The salary isnt enough compared to how hard I work
Hot mess with a side of bad managemnet
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 12, 2016
I was hired with the opening of a new location in Ottawa. The training went well, the first six months were pretty decent, and the sense of camaraderie in the cast members was great. I attended health and safety meetings, cast screenings and events.I applied myself at my job, cross trained to other positions with the traditional side and VIP and was well liked (or at the very least not disliked).

Things were always a little icky though. Being cut early was pretty common and everybody was well aware of the three hours pay rule by Ontario. Cast food was quickly cut down to certain things on certain days at certain times (with blackout periods depending on the movie). You would go on break three hours in to your six hour shift only to get told that you cut as soon as you returned. People often work open to close (about twelve hours) nonstop in order to get the money for rent-- my location had a lot of people 18+ trying to support themselves. Shift schedules are released the Tuesday for the Friday to Thursday of the upcoming week There's a free movie pass for every week you work but you are discouraged from stocking up and (depending on the manager) expiration dates are written.

When you don't take your breaks and avoid management in fear of being cut early, there's an issue. For on call shifts, YOU as the employee were required to email or call in to see if you were needed (email preferred) three hours beforehand. On more than one occasion I would get a "No thanks!" reply less than an hour before the shift was scheduled to start. I would also get called less than two hours
  more... before a scheduled shift to be told "it's really slow tonight, so we won't be needing you tonight. Thanks!" Managers would also just tag you in the shift swapping facebook page to let you know you were unneeded that particular night.

After a year of working for the company there was talk among the cast of a possible raise (we were naive because it was a new location). Instead we learn that you will never get a raise unless you get promoted to Team Leader or Cast Trainer (although I am aware of an employee who never even received THIS raise and has been trying to bring up the issue for 6+ months with no consistent answer from management besides to ask some else). The issue was brought up at the once a year cast meeting (a first for most). The response from management was "you make minimum wage plus tips" during a time where less than 12 hours scheduled a week was the norm. Other issues brought up during the dedicated period for this exact purpose were either taken as personal affronts or spun beautifully by the GM into a whole other issue (a man who belongs in politics). Discussions quickly fizzled out due to the unwelcoming atmosphere.

Any issue that you have with management needs to be taken to management. This means it is more difficult to bring up a problem when you know it will likely be swept under the rug after a half hearted investigation spanning two weeks and everyone will know about it within the week anyway. Firing someone is done with a similar lack of effort, with a three hour shift just to get the person in the building. There is no actual HR department, just some confidential phone number instead. Management just felt childish, crowding together at bar or in the front of theatres (a concern brought up by guests as well as cast members). Managers also made /jokes/ like "if that was pop then I'd have to hurt you" or discuss the relationships of cast members while on shift, making me as well as other cast members uncomfortable.

The job was easy. The guests were easy. The management was horrible.
Pros
The other cast members who suffer with you, I was able to get drink on company time for wine tasting, free movies, last minute flexibility
Cons
poor management, inconsistent hours, lack of actual communication, you're never gonna get a raise without a promotion
Fun!
Part time Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 7, 2016
Great place for my 1st part time job, I learned a lot if my customer service skills here. Made some long lasting friends! It was a lot of fun!
Very fast paced environment with lots to do while working.
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 6, 2016
It was a very productive job. Time went by very fast because of how much work that needed to be done. the customers were amazing and the work environment had a energetic vibe. I learned to memorize the menu and promotions. Became very proficient on multitasking and handeling a fast pace environment. The management could use some work due to there being a short amount of managers and the large amount of young employees. But over all, it was a great experience and i enjoyed my position.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
management
Great Community
Team Leader (Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 24, 2016
Cineplex is a great first jobs for a lot of students, making a very fun and exciting community to work with. Moreover, management is accustomed to dealing with new hires, thus they know how to teach younger employees.
A good first job.
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Cineplex Markham & VIPJune 22, 2016
Gives a good experience of what the real world is like for teenagers. It was a great first job. Flexible. However, they hired so many people that I would get scheduled 1-2 shifts. Before I would get 3-4 shifts, and I would get called in many times. This is great for me because I am looking to make money. Now every week people are fighting for shifts on our shift group chat. Management is always changing. You get lucky with a cool manager, or a total jacka**. Good for experience. They used to give one movie pass every week. Then they changed it to giving movie passes only on mondays, Wednesdays, and thursdays. No one got the time to go every week on the weekdays to get a movie pass. Most of us work on the weekends. After that they have changed it to one movie pass every pay day. Ridiculous.
Fun workplace environment
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 13, 2016
I loved working at Cineplex because it was a very fun working environment. Co-workers were mostly around the same age group as myself and so it was easy to get along with them. It was not too busy on regular days. On busier occasions (i.e. PA Day, Christmas Day etc.), all employees worked as a team to ensure everything ran smoothly.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Work hours varied week to week

2.8