Cineplex

Cineplex Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive workplace with interesting people
Cineplex Cast Member (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Lots of benefits; free movies
Cons: Not enough hours
Working at Cineplex had a lot of benefits, they had flexible hours, and friendly workers.I enjoyed the people I worked with and have learned a lot about customer service and how to handle certain situations. It was an amazing place to work.
Cast Member
Cast Member (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: free movie
Cons: work late hours
 Operated the cash register and greeted customers
 Validated tickets in the ticket entry line
 Cleaning and preparing theatres for next viewing
Excellent faced paced place of employment
Cast Member (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: free movies for myself and a plus one
Cons: short hours
A typical day at Cineplex entertainment starts off with setting out all necessary supplies for the evening rush prepping warm foods such as nachos, pop corn, and hot dogs. Following the evening rush comes the restock for the night rush. After the night rush comes closing duties such as cleaning the used equipment, counting inventory to ensure stock, and ensure all counter tops and floors are swept clean for the next day.

I learned key social skills and how to deal with complicated situation on the fly. I learned how to work fast and run through orders in the minimal amount of time. I learned how to work efficiently as part of a team. I learned how to distribute and manage responsibilities to properly prepare for coming situations and rushes.

Co-workers were very pleasant, friendly, and nice to be around. we all work together to achieve the same goal of delivering customers an exceptional entertainment experience.

The hardest part of the job is dealing with unhappy customers while in the middle of a busy rush. however difficult, no problem is unsolvable and always results in the customer achieving what they desire.

The most enjoyable part of the job is being a part of the concession stand team on a busy night whipping through the heat of things and getting the job done with accuracy
Kitchen Staff at Don Mills VIP Cineplex
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee), North York, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Pros: cast passes, balance hours and flexibility, overall good job
Cons: disorganized management, no confidence in team members
job was ok pretty decent nothing special. I would suggest better management team in cineplex, they have to hire more professional and trained managers.
An interactive and social workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee), Ajax, ONJanuary 1, 2016
Pros: Free movies
A typical day at work would be walking in, starting the day off by greeting guests, and selling cineplex concession items. The management team is motivating and understanding. The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting different guests everyday and providing happiness by giving them their movie tickets. You gain customer service experience, cleaning experience, and retail experience.
Great place for a first part-time job!
Health & Safety Chair (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 27, 2015
Pros: free movies
Cons: not much room for promotion/further career opportunities
The environment is ideal for supporting growth, learning and skills in young members of the workforce community. It teaches people skills, working under pressure, working with a team, and communication with both customers, co-workers, and management team.
Super fun place to work!
Outtakes staff (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCDecember 4, 2015
Pros: Commission in concession, decent hours, works around your schedule, fun employees, friendly management
Cons: slow in the early morning/afternoon, minimum wage
So far I've had a very positive experience working for Cineplex! The hours and pay aren't bad if you're just looking to put extra cash in your pocket. All the employees are friendly and talk to each other like they're family. The management are very nice and do not have that "I am better than you petty employees" vibe like most managers have, All in all I love working here!
Fun starting job
team member (Former Employee), CanadaDecember 3, 2015
Pros: Good benfits
Cons: Not enough hrs
Cineplex is a good starting job if you are looking for full time and or part time work , the people are friendly and the pay isnt to bad , they have great discounts for employees
Decent job for part-time employees
Cast Member (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 29, 2015
Pros: discount on food
Cons: work life balance
Not many opportunities offered. Very few recognition incentives and isn't as flexible compared to other jobs. It's a challenging company to work with in terms of work life balance.
fun at first but watch your back
Cast Member (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 27, 2015
Pros: employee perks (discounts, tuition, movie passes, parties & appreciation events), co-workers fun to be around, you will learn lots and become a better worker
Cons: micromanagement, poor work/life balance, low wages, high pressure, favouritism, nasty attitude amongst management, disregard for workers' rights
Worked as a cast member for 3 years. There's always something to do so you don't get bored, but after a while it just stops being enjoyable.

Management is hit or miss. They either care about you and have your back, or are tripping on their power and are too busy scolding you over minor problems to help you. (At my theatre employees would get yelled at in front of their co-workers or even customers all the time and nothing ever got done about it.) But even the nice managers will take things very personally if you have a problem. Pick your poison between people with power unintentionally or intentionally starting drama, I guess. Regardless they all play favourites without bothering to hide it. Our Cast Member of the Month system was always rigged. The same people always get more of the easier & slower matinee shifts. If they don't like you they will try to penalize you for things you do outside of work even if you do not break any rules or policies.

Perks like events for cast members are alright but I never felt like I could just show up to a BBQ and hang out with the same people that screwed me out of a break when I'd do long shifts or tried writing me up because my black socks were all in the wash.

You're expected to make a lot of customers happy literally thousands of people if it's a busy weekend or holiday, but you're making the same wages as someone who works at McDonald's. I did fast food before this and there is absolutely not as much demanded of you there for the same hourly wage. The prospect of "merit based" raises is out there but either they can't ever seem – more... to afford it or they just quietly give it to the employees they're buddies with.

Co workers are good people because you'll be working with 100 or so people that are in the same situation as you so everyone else sees the problems. Sometimes the star children got away with starting fights though.

It can be a rewarding job you'll learn a lot from but take the people in charge with a grain of salt. – less
Easy going environment with efficient cooperationg
Cast Member (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2015
People there great to work with, good sense of teamwork. busy environment well kept under stress. Decent employment perks, but awfully disorganized management.
Fast-paced and friendly working environment.
frontline cook/ concession attendant (Former Employee), Etobicoke, ONNovember 20, 2015
A typical day at work was attending to the guest at the movie theater and always go above and beyond to make a lasting impression. One thing that sticks with me till this day is, "Deliver An Exceptional Guest Service Experience."
I learned the intricacies of the customer service industry.
I learned good communication skills and interpersonal skills. For example. How to upsell, how to stock merchandise, how to be neat and tidy.
The co-workers were from all different walks of life and backgrounds.
The co-workers were friendly for the most part but at times can be selfish. With that being said if you would ask for help; there response would be ask someone else or the Team Leader. Don't get me wrong your work life is not your personal and Cineplex thought me how to be a professional individual.
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with rushes and showtimes and keeping a smile on your face because of the fast-paced work environment. As an employee of Cineplex you were always on your feet.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the free movie voucher every pay stub.
The managers are bullies in Red Deer
Box office, concession, and usher (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABNovember 16, 2015
Pros: NONE
Cons: THE MANAGERS
I worked at this place for almost two years and got passed over for promotions many, many times. I trained the people that got promoted to Supervisor, Asst. Manager and Teller. Countless kids would come to me about how the GM was treating them and claiming they couldn't do anything about it, I always told them to go to HR and the Labor Standards Board. I emailed HR on two different occasions about the GM with my own problems and nothing was done about it or him. This company is only in it for the money, the employees mean nothing to them because there is always another naive kid to take your place if you try to fight for your rights. APPLICANTS BEWARE!!!!!!
Always a busy day, a lot of team work, working in a busy environment
Concessionist (Former Employee), 3555 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ONOctober 27, 2015
A typical day working at Cineplex I would either open or close. If I'm opening, I would get my cash tail ready and then open the concession stand. Opening the concession stands consists of me counting out candies, cups, bags of popcorn, stocking the shelves, turning on the popcorn machines, turning on the butter machines and brewing fresh coffee. During the day I ensure that any guest visiting the colossus is happy with his/her order I remind them about using their scene card and provide the best of my costumer service abilities. Closing on a typical day consists of me cleaning the concession stand, throwing out any extra popcorn, counting whats left for the day, counting my cash tail and reporting it to my manager.
Not worth how horribly your managers make you feel at the end of the night.
Cast member (that should have been promoted) (Former Employee), Edmonton, AB WindermereOctober 26, 2015
Pros: Free movies, flexible schedule.
Cons: Bad hours, horrendous management.
I worked at cineplex for about 2 and a half years. And I have to say it started out awesome, I loved my management team, they loved me. I got along well with all the other members of the team, it was a fun easy started job for someone who was in the 10th grade.

But as the years went on the job got progressively worse. We went through three general managers the entire time that I worked there, and I could easily could more than 20 managers that have worked there over the course of time I had been there, it was kind of ridiculous. Cineplex is supposed to be a started job. On that note, you get annoying managers that are literally going to be working there for their entire lives because that's all they're smart enough to do. You also get managers that believe that you don't deserve to get promoted because they have some personal issues with you that aren't even valid.

I personally believe that this is a bull job, and if you wanna work there be my guest but it is definitely not worth your time if you want to be treated like garbage and not get promoted after having worked there for over two years and then have some stupid kid thats worked there for 3 months get promoted over you.

It's just not worth it.
Good atmosphere and company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), La Salle, QCOctober 20, 2015
Great company to work for.
Lots of opportunity for advancement.
Great co-workers.
Flexible schedule.
Good benefits.
Fun Place To Work, Love to go Back
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 18, 2015
Pros: near my house
Cons: stay after night
its always good having people around your age working with you, that encourages you, i learned that if your in a positive mood and the guest is not, you can make them happy just by complimenting them, hardest part of the job was when you had to stay overnight to help close.
good work place
cashier/usher (Former Employee), Truro, NSOctober 4, 2015
I loved working at cineplex , great people and great staff and management. There was always something to do while you were working it was never boring , and great work benefits.
Good place to start off when young, only good thing it has is flexibility
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Brampton, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: flexible, always open = more shifts, can pick up and give shifts with ease
Cons: no paid breaks, very petty and you have to kiss up to managers to get noticed
Super flexible, you can craft your schedule the way you want by taking or getting rid of shifts by trading with your co-workers

100+ employees meant someone is most of the time willing to cover your shift or you can take a shift

You deal with many people on your worse of nights and fight boredom on your less than stellar days

They're open 365 days a year, so you can work Stat. holidays and get paid more

Managers aren't collectively together so messages weren't always delivered to you about promotions and changes that happen overnight, it is like another high-school where drama and theft happens in the workplace

You aren't paid for your 15 min breaks, let alone even get one if you work more than 4 hours.
Silvershitty
Cast Member (Current Employee), Burnaby, BCSeptember 23, 2015
Pros: Free movies
Cons: Management, customers, toxic-environment for the most part, no raise will ever be given unless you apply to move up (it's not worth it)
Barely no benefits were given. Management is as awful as can be, most are incredibly conceited and extremely passive aggressive. They tend to take it out on cast members for things that doesn't involve cast members at all. Co-workers are the same everywhere, some you like, some you hate! I believe that they're one of the few reasons Cineplex is worth staying for because all other factors are ridiculous. The only great thing about cineplex is the flexibility of the schedules. Since it's always busy, you're almost always guaranteed a shift whether it be 4 hours all the way to 8 hours. Lots of people tend to give shifts away and take shifts from people, it all depends on the hours and the area you're trained in.