Cineplex Employee Reviews

cineplex chinook is a great firs job, but i would not reccomend it to people with previous experience
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 February 2017
this job is a perfect first job. the management can be a little hit and miss, but overall a decent place to work. you will not receive a raise, unless you move up into a leadership role. the whole environment is like you're in high school, with everyone dating each other, and there being a lot of drama. but i have found some real friends working here.
Pros
free movie tickets for you and one friend, EXTREMELY flexible hours
Cons
free movie tickets come with a LOT of rules, hours are hard to come by because there are so many employees. very busy location, i don't recomend if you get anxiety.
It's decent
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK14 February 2017
It's a good first job with flexible hours and good coworkers. However, there's no option to get bonuses or raises to add onto the minimum wage pay. There are also quite a few broken things within the building that aren't taken care of right away, as well as long hours depending on how busy it is. I've been there until 1 AM before due to late movies and the overall intake of guests. But all in all, it's a good place to work, just not too long term.
Pros
Free movies, half off food during work, good coworkers, good work environment
Cons
Long hours, no bonuses or raises, minor maintenance issues
Not for me
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB3 February 2017
It wasn't that bad honestly, I could've continued to work there. It was just too much strain on my body. Standing in one spot for hours and having so little space to move around. I didn't feel like I got enough for a break. I wasn't that fond of my coworkers, I felt rather closed off. Not everyone was bad though. It is fairly fast paced especially when it is busy, you got to be quick. Simple cash skills and just pay attention to customers orders. It was a nice time sometimes, but I couldn't deal with it physically or mentally.
Pros
Free movies, can choose restrictions on your work schedule, good managers, fun place
Cons
long hours standing, fast paced, exhausting
Count (Former Employee) –  Miramichi, NB1 February 2017
Cineplex had a great work environment, the managers are all really nice and the schedule is flexible if you need a day of. When you come in to work you are greeted by smiles, all the staff are pretty close and even hang out outside of work. The job helps build lasting friendships. Employees also get to benefit from free movies on your days off while working there and free popcorn n pop during your shifts. The worst part about this job is the low hours but other then that there isn't much to complain about and I really do believe this is a great place to work, especially for students or for a first job.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Low hours
Cineplex
Cast Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2017
Cineplex was a great starting point, but by the end of my time there, I wasn't enjoying it at all. Granted that my availability there was only mornings, there would rarely be any shifts besides Outtakes. The pay wasn't the greatest, as there were raises few and far between. Trying to earn Cast Member of the month was apparently really easy for some people, as I was never given that award. The managers there, some were great, some were OK, some were not great.
Pros
Great friendships, free movies, learned valuable skills.
Cons
Really repetitive shifts, very little pay raise.
Nice place overall but enjoyment really depends on which location
Floor Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON18 January 2017
Nice coworkers since they're usually all teens or people in university but I preferred the Markham location vs Square One because the managers were much better, the building was new so everything was convenient.
Pros
Free movie tickets for two every week, free popcorn and drinks, xbox in cast lounge, 50% off on outtakes food
Cons
Hours can be short (a lot of 4hrs), late hours (sometimes until 1am)
Good place for first job
Frontline (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS25 February 2017
The theater is a good place to work for a first job it is not to high stress and you can learn lots of stuff start in concessions and outtakes and move to floor box or birthday parties. Management depends on the person some of the management is very nice and easy to talk to others not so much. Overall I enjoyed working at the theater until my last 6 months there or so when the management changed a lot.
Good job to learn basic Sales technique.
Concession Food & Beverage Server (Former Employee) –  North York, ON13 February 2017
typical work included machinery cleaning at the time, NOW, all done by night people. Counting stock and keeping inventory lists, as well as maintaining safe kitchen safety temps etc. While selling like a little popcorn hungry monster during movie rushes.
Pros
free popcorn and movies
Cons
LATE hours. you leave when the last movie is finished at times.
Great for students
Cast member (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON1 March 2017
The job itself is not hard if you enjoy fast paced customer service like in fast food, You are trained well and it is not hard to learn the job. It gives you a great work/social balance with its flexible scheduling and shifts can easily be traded or given out. I'd recommend this job to whoever is currently in school wether that be secondary or post secondary.
Pros
Free movies
Cons
Not many shifts
Fun workplace - perfect for first job experience
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  East Gwillimbury, ON30 January 2017
Open to lots of hours, employees can trade in shifts or give shifts away to fellow employees.
Numerous areas and departments to be trained in.
Friendly staff and co-workers.
Decent pay.
Employee Benefits.
Pros
Flexible Hours, Free Movie (Bi-weekly), Employee Discount and Friendly Staff
Cons
General Minimum Wage, May be stuck in one department for lengthy amount of time
Expect Nothing
Porter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 January 2017
Claims to be short staffed, yet doesn't hand out any hours to people willing to go the extra mile.

Sporadic work week dictated by underutilized computer scheduling program.

Other than that it was pretty much the same thing every day (when I was given hours) and was alright.

Being employed is one thing, making money is another.

Expected to Clock in with a supervisor because they didn't finish the schedule, found myself wasting part of my shift to find a super.

Lack of communication between floor staff, supervisors, managers and GMs unless something goes totally loopy.

Honestly if you're about 18-21 and looking for some sweet spare cash for that new iPhone then heck yeah.

Otherwise, look for something where you're a little less...expendable.
Pros
Free Pop and Popcorn
Cons
Sporadic "On-Call" like hours.
You come home smelling of popcorn.
Concession Attendant (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC5 March 2017
I worked in concession, so a normal day consists of cash handling, working a point of sale terminal (filling food orders), offering promotions on combos, lots of up-selling the normal orders to combos to earn incentives. It a high pressure, fast paced environment, must do well under pressure to work at this job.
Pros
free movies
Alright
Stock/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB11 March 2017
I work every section and much of the time get extra tasks while the rest of the cast sit around including management. Money is money in my eyes though and I'm fine working for it but I would like some appreciation and to know everyone is trying as hard as I am
Pros
Money
Cons
Changing hours 5 shifts one week 2 the next, underappreciated, not high enough pay for 3 years of loyalty
Awesome first job!
Cast Member (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC10 December 2016
Honestly I've read a lot of the reviews on here, 95% are all negative and honestly I disagree with all of them! Being apart of the cast team is awesome everyone is so welcoming and also so positive and so helpful! Management is always looking on how they could improve and help the cast improve! The only negative thing is that you're pretty much stuck at min wage and some customs but usually customs are very understanding! Very good for a first job or just a job to keep you busy! Very fast paced.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
wages and customers
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK1 January 2017
Friendly cast members. Management are on point on guiding and helping new cast members. And what more to say im just adding up the word count here. Yeah they give free sodas and popcorns too. Just on a small brown bag and a kid cup. .enjoy on that! guest are pretty aight. Not so rude people in that city. This should be enough for the word count.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Average pay
My co workers are the only thing that make it bearable
Cast member (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON26 March 2017
they dont care about their workers at all! they do the bare minimum they have to for everyone. rude managment. always understaffed and half the things in the building dont even work! Hopefully the other theatres are better..
Pros
half off food (only while working)
Cons
everything
Good Place to work
Theatre Manager (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB3 November 2016
As a manager it is long hours but it is a good environment and there are a lot of chances for help if you have any questions whether it is from other managers or higher up. There will always be ups and downs but I did love my job.

Hardest part for me was that strange hours but before my child It was more than doable. The best part was going in and seeing this family that we made every day. the people range from low to high like in a real family but that is what was great about it.
Fun Work Environment
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON6 December 2016
Feel welcomed once entering the building. Feel part of a family that works together to make the work place better both for ourselves and management but also for the customers. We learn things such as valuable customer skill services as well as the ability to work under pressure.
Pros
Meet new people.
Cons
Not enough hours
good first job, but dont stay there.
Cast member (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
Good first job, wouldnt recommend keeping it for longer than high school though. No potential for advancement because they mostly hired managers from out of company.
Pros
free movies
Cons
Cutting of cast member incentive; screenings with family and friends, commission
Fun workplace with good people.
Usher (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON15 January 2017
Come in and stand at the booth and rip tickets from guests. I learned that sometimes you have to be patient. The management was great. Coworkers were friendly people. Hardest part of the job was cleaning theaters. The most enjoyable was working with good people.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Long Hours

2.8