Cineplex

Cineplex Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good part time job.
Cast Member (Current Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 7, 2015
Pros: free movies. flexible.
Cons: bad management. poor training.
Management is a joke. Tons of highschoolers working with you; You'll have to work the crummier shifts. If you're a good worker you'll get taken advantage of with little reward. No raises. Free movies every week.
Pleasent
Cast Member/ Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2015
Pros: movie tickets
Cons: stingy hours
It was a job that didn't require to much focus and commitment. Just a job to easily get by but had its moment of being a rough patch
Productive workpalce with awesome work members
Supervisor/Trainer (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free movies
Cons: busy weekends
A typical day for me at work is Pulling stock setting breaks and working on cash , I have learned great customer service skills and how to interact with my fellow Cast members, my management team is involved in everything I do they are great when it come to getting help and something is needed they are readily available.
The hardest part sometimes is dealing with the capacity of guest that we get on Busy opening weeks for movies. The most enjoyable is getting to see some the awesome people I work with on a daily basis.
Productive and fun workplace with very friendly and opening coworkers
Cashier/Sales (Current Employee), Pitt Meadows, BCJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: free movies
Cons: very busy weekend shifts
Cineplex gives you great opportunities to have variance and movement in your day to day work day with many positions that you can work up to and be cross trained in.
Lame big time
cast member (Former Employee), red deer albertaJanuary 13, 2015
Cons: big time rip off and waste of time!
I hate how every employee has to start in concession! The wage Sucks! Working with teenagers in grade 11 that are supervising adults is Rediculous! Personally: Im shy....I cant be forced on till in front of tons of ppl and feel comfortable.....I need time and better training and a higher wage like 14$/hr to work in concesdion...startig at 10.20$/ Is lame! My over all opinion is working at Cineplex was HORRIBLE STUPID LAME REDICULOUS AND I HATED IT. Im glad I quit...There are far far better places to work. Biggest waste of time!
Good job, bad management
Corporate Trainer and Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: free movies, fun midnight release parties, video games on movie sceens
Cons: you don't know when your shift will end, asked to do things without thanks, requested scheduled ignored, must work weekend
(now its been a while since I worked here, so this info might be out of date)

For a long time I enjoyed this job, but by the end I felt very used by management.
The work is very normal, survive industry work. Different food units serve different food, they prepare it as the rules of the company they represent (Burger king, New York Fries) and do a very good job of following both general food service rules and the ones set by the franchise.

As a Team Leader I was in charge of the Unit and up to 14 "Cast". The Cast (and me) can not leave at the end of the day till the unit is clean AND they have counted there money with the treasurers. Who worked on their own time (didn't matter that a Cast member was done at X time, they came when they wanted). Was stuck in the middle between unhappy cast members and management all the time. No one ever went home at the time their schedule said. This is bad when you are ending at 11:00 pm the earliest.
Great Employees
Cast member (Former Employee), Burlington ONJanuary 9, 2015
Great cast members, very friendly and outgoing. I enjoyed working with each and everyone of them.
Few opportunities for advancement, unprofessional work environemnt
Cashier/Sales associate (Former Employee), Mission, BCJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules, free movies.
Cons: variable shifts (2-8 hours), poor management, poor sanitation, terrible pay, no opportunities for advancement or recommendations for other jobs
While it was easy for me to mold my schedule to fit my life, Cineplex offered little to no opportunity for advancement, and outright refuses recommendations to the workers for unexplained reasons. The management did not maintain professional relationships with the workers, and did not intervene when problems arose, allowing workplace dramatics to overtake business.The managers, in an effort to reduce holiday spending, cut worker's hours to prevent them from receiving stat holiday pay increases. Benefits were limited and the pay increases were hardly worth the effort ($0.25 pay increase after promotion to a position that required far more work). The worst part however, is that sanitation policies were inconsistent, changed regularly, and allowed for questionable practices such as using plain water to clean the nozzle part on pop towers, and surfaces that were used for food preparation. Unless you are in desperate need of work, I suggest looking elsewhere.
Productive fun workplace
Part Time Cast Member (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: free movies
Working at Cineplex was probably the best decision I've made. The management is great, and the co-workers were all nice and respectful. My most enjoyable part about this job was the free movies.
Not a very good workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABDecember 31, 2014
Pros: free movies, free lunches
Cons: long hours, busy weekends
A typical day at work at Cineplex consisted of assisting customers, cleaning, and prepping of food. I didn't learn very much at Cineplex, other than how to operate a deep fryer. Management wasn't very well organized, and neither were my coworkers, who almost all consisted of teenagers and young adults, who were obviously displeased at being there. The hardest part of the job was filling food orders in a tight space with a multitude of other coworkers, and popcorn spilled everywhere, which caused a very slippery hazard. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting free food and free movies.
A very friendly and welcoming environment.
Customer service (Current Employee), Stoney Creek, ONDecember 1, 2014
Pros: 50% from half an hour before your shift until half an hour after your shift
Cons: no full-time positions
This Job is perfect for students because they're hours a very flexible. The staff are very friendly and management are very understanding if you have a honest reason for being a little late or not being bale to show up to your shift, with an advanced call of course.
Skill developing
Graphic Designer - Box Office (Current Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 28, 2014
Cineplex is a place where you can grow as a person and learn skills and leadership that will carry on in future jobs.

I would recommend this job to anyone who is looking for flexible hours and looking to grow.
Cineplex
Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee), Downtown TorontoNovember 13, 2014
It was okay working there but the commute downtown was a killer
busy and slow at times
Concession - cashier (Current Employee), Gloucester, ONNovember 10, 2014
a typical day at work is usually get the place ready before we open. if busy, always on the go non-stop and trying keep up with everything. if its slow, we spend most of the day cleaning the place as much as we can.
i have learned how to work well with others and communicate. i have also learned how to be more responsible with the work environment.
my co-workers are great to work with. they feel more like friends than co-workers.
the hardest part about the job is working really late which i prefer not to do but I'm always willing to compromise.
the best part about working for cineplex is getting to watch as many movies i would to watch.
Flexible hours, not many benefits
Concession/Stock Employee (Former Employee), Victoria BCOctober 27, 2014
Pros: free movies
Cons: late nights, slim advancement, no raises
staff were fairly nice
learning ability was very slim
management was very consisten
co workers were pleasant
hardest part was staying so late
most enjoyable part was the flexible hours
Don't apply directly for a mangement job
Theatre Manager (Former Employee), Scotiabank Montreal, QcOctober 26, 2014
Pros: free movies
Cons: not bad pay for the service sector, i was hired as a "theatre manager" at 32k
Don't apply for a management job. I went through a month long application/interview process, bringing with me a strong educational background and a decently long career in fast food management. I was hired for a sketchy 5 month contract, and let go after 3 weeks for "lack of enthousiasm". I worked at the Scotiabank Theatre in Montreal. It was very stressful because I was desperate to keep the job, but nobody wanted to train me and I was told the GM avoids all the female employees like the plague. Please save yourself the heartache and waste of time. They didn't even have the decency to discuss my "lack of enthousiasm" with me to my face.
Great place
Cast Member (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONOctober 7, 2014
Pros: great enviroment
Cons: not very many shifts
Everyone that works there is fun, and the hardest part of the job is the guest, and that really isn't difficult. The managers are great people and your shifts match your needs
Good For Students / Horrible for Adults
Management (Current Employee), Winnipeg, Mb.September 24, 2014
Pros: good cast members
Cons: long hours, horrible pay
Cineplex is a good place to get work experience but whatever you do get out before it is too late. I have been with the company over 15 years and it sucks the life out of you. As a member of the management team there is no work/life balance. You must work weekend nights without question. Pay for full time managers is horrible and any bonus payouts are strictly by luck.
Not consistent
A full Time Manager (Current Employee), OntarioSeptember 21, 2014
Pros: free movies experience increase skill level
Cons: no work life balance long hours expectations are a bit overwhelming
Overall the company not bad to work for there expectation are a bit out of reach sometimes .They pride themselves with wanting to achieve great guest service but don't want to pay for it when come to staffing . I'm a full time manager that's all I'm going to tell you there never a clear picture when comes to certain aspect of the position. The mystery shop program is a joke it 's suppose to help you with seeing where you need to improve as theatre on the guest perspective however a lot of GM or theatre managers do is set up there friends or a guest who comes on a regular basis . To me to see proper results as in the retail industry you shouldn't know who the mystery shopper is .this is not the case for all theatre but it does happen.They don't train managers properly compare to other companies yes you can move up fast in the company but my advice is to take your time there really no support once your a manager in my opinion.younger cast are not stupid it hard to have them buy into certain procedures and I fine some of the tactics I have heard over the years to get some of them are terrible these kids work there butt of for the most part there are some are just lazy but good luck getting rid of them.The process is too long and time sucking. I fine there to many moving parts some days as a manager to be up in projection floor behind concession and see everything with limited staffing is not guest oriented . I also find you have to many people telling you to many different things work life balance is difficult in my opinion but a lot of manager won't say anything. Anyway if you – more... decided to work for Cineplex take your time if your looking to advance your career ask a lot of questions and have respect for your managers they have a lot on their plate I know it may not seem like to all of you but there is a lot of pressure it is a fun place to work it can be hard at times but what job isn't . Team is everything when you work at theatre and people don't understand that yet well at least at my theatre. I simply do it for the guest that why I go to work everyday . Good luck thanks for reading . – less
A decent job for someone with a tight availability.
Cast Member (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule, free movies, good work environment.
Cons: hard to find hours during dead seasons, no raises under management, sometimes work past 1 am.
Working at cineplex has its benefits but it also lacks in other areas
The pay is minimum for everyone under full-time management, with supervisors receiving 25 cents more and assistant managers about 75 cents more per hour. There's no real chance for a raise if you're just a part time employee and depending on the time of year and what movies happen to be released that year, the amount of hours available fluctuates GREATLY. On slow days you can be sent home early because they need to save hours, good for those that want to just leave that day, but bad for those that are trying to make money. The job has its rewards like almost never having to pay for a movie, and getting discounts on food. If you're trying to make money during the summer this is a good job, but if you're trying to save throughout the year and earn a stable paycheque then you're better off somewhere else.

1 2 3 4 5

About Cineplex

Cineplex Inc. is one of Canada’s largest entertainment companies and operates numerous businesses including movie theatres, – Read more