Cineplex

Cineplex Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Minimum wage part-time and no job security
Floor Staff (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONTApril 7, 2015
Pros: Free Movies (only one friend at a time though)
Cons: Disorganized and unprofessional managment
I have worked for Cineplex Entertainment before for 2 and a half years. Overall it wasn't that bad it was a nice job to have while going through high school. I left the company the first time was because I had just entered college and Cineplex was demanding too many hours.

Recently I have finished my studies and being out of work for about 6 months decided to apply at Cineplex again at a different movie theatre that had just opened. Thinking this would be a good start to raising my job profile again I took the job. I participated in all of the re-training even if a lot of it was the same as before. I was excited to work alongside my fellow cast members some were friends outside the company and even some of management I knew from when I worked with the company the first time.

When I first got hired again I noticed they hired a few too many staff. But knowing the company from before I was sure they would find a way to treat their cast members equally. After working two regular shifts after they opened, one I was sent home early because again there were too many staff. Next day I get call from the GM saying my employment has been terminated and given no explanation why? I asked if there was anyone else I could talk too to find out more information and he gave me a contact to someone with HR. The person from HR told me to go talk to management which goes to show how disorganized and unprofessional they really are. After putting in my time and effort though the years for this company only to find out you are disposable as the next guy they hire. They can't even have a face to face meeting with me to discuss my performance or direction just a few simple words over the phone.

I guess for first time students this is a good job, but if you see yourself still working for this company over the age of 20 I would recommend you find another line for work.
Good 'First Job'
Cashier, Cash Management, Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABApril 6, 2015
I worked in many areas of the theater, I worked in Concessions/ P.O.S, Usher, Projectionist, Cash management and Assistant Manager. This place is a good 'first job' as it teaches basic skills for p.o.s, cleaning and organizing skills, as well as work ethic, time and stock management, and team work.
The Life of Cineplex
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Queensway and IslingtonApril 4, 2015
We usually have busy days at Cineplex. Lines are fairly long due to food orders and movie viewers. I have learned a lot about customer services and food services and it has allowed me to be a better worker. The management is fairly good, most of the managers are fair when it comes to reasoning amongst me and my co-workers and of course guests are always first. The hardest part of the job is pleasing the guests when someone goes wrong. As an employee I try my best to reassure that the guests is first and immediately solve their problem. The most enjoyable part of Cineplex is the environment and my co-workers. I make sure to keep a positive attitude at work and being friendly.
Free Movies
Cast Member (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 2, 2015
Pros: Free Movies
Cons: No raise
Cineplex was a great experience in a movie industry. Nice to get free movies and always nice people there. Some workers are grossly underpaid for their position title and their responsibilities but that's personal chose . Get some good experience here and enjoy the time you spend there however short it may be,
Productive Workplace
Booth Staff/Projectionist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 2, 2015
Pros: Free movie tickets and benefits
Cons: N/A
The job offers step by step tutorial for newcomers that will take them in a higher position. I learned from cleaning theaters to selling food/tickets to handling an old projector all in 2 years working for this company. Management are very flexible with schedules and very organized. Co-workers may be tough to work with at first, but once everyone gets to know one another everything will be fun and exciting to work with. Hardest part of the job when I made an mistake in front of my guest, but I learned from my past mistake and resolved all of the errors I made. Most enjoyable part of the job is when everyone is working hard to make every guest happy, and feel comfortable in the theater.
Great company to work for
Executive Assistant of Operations (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 1, 2015
Greatly enjoyed my time filling in at Cineplex. Great company to work for and met many great people. Cineplex is all about family/work balance and encourage you to make that happen.
Poor, Poor higher management team
Lounge Server (Former Employee), Ottawa, OnMarch 31, 2015
Pros: free movies
Cons: Disrespectful Management Team
I worked for Cineplex (Lansdowne location) for a very short time. I was a lounge server at one of their VIP locations and received consistent positive feedback form both guests and management. I was punctual, reliable, and a quick learner. I loved working there.

Then, on the same day that I received many of these compliments, the General Manager, took me to into a glass room that is used for children's birthday parties, with no privacy and fired me. I was balling my eyes out while guests and other staff watched. I was humiliated. I have anxiety and so was very anxious to leave, but as I reached for the door, the GM used force to block the exit with his arm and body, claiming I was too emotional to leave. At that point I was mere patron, and felt totally uncomfortable being trapped in a room with an ex-manager. My anxiety was through the roof.

I received a total lack of respect from the company during the process of my dismissal. This company is a great Canadian embarrassment.

Please think twice before accepting a job with this company.
Fun atmosphere and great perks (if you're a movie lover)
Teller/Treasurer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2015
Pros: free popcorn and drink, free movie tickets and staff discounts off other food items
Cons: hard work, shift harder to come by and late hours
Working at Cineplex is a fun job to have the people there are usually great and I'm a movie lover so going to wok seeing sneak peaks of movies plus getting free passes every payday is a great bonus. On busy days you work alot helping out in each area of the theater but the time flies by and you always feel accomplished at the end of every shift.
Great Co-Workers, Friendly environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Belleville, ONMarch 23, 2015
Pros: free movies, people
Cons: double shifts, not always enough staff.
A typical day at work would be working at a fast pace in a great atmosphere. Management was not professional but efficient. Co-workers all worked very well together and worked as a team making work more pleasant. The hardest part of the job was ensuring all orders were out as quick as possible while still pleasing the guests. The most enjoyable part of the job was cleaning theatres because if done correctly it could be done simply leaving more time for food prep, making the next rush less stressful. Working at cineplex taught me to have patience with unsatisfied people, I was taught to work together with a large team and express ourselves without conflict.
Good part time job.
Cast Member (Current Employee), Kingston, ONMarch 7, 2015
Pros: free movies. flexible.
Cons: bad management. poor training.
Management is a joke. Tons of highschoolers working with you; You'll have to work the crummier shifts. If you're a good worker you'll get taken advantage of with little reward. No raises. Free movies every week.
Pleasent
Cast Member/ Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2015
Pros: movie tickets
Cons: stingy hours
It was a job that didn't require to much focus and commitment. Just a job to easily get by but had its moment of being a rough patch
Productive workpalce with awesome work members
Supervisor/Trainer (Current Employee), Vaughan, ONFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: free movies
Cons: busy weekends
A typical day for me at work is Pulling stock setting breaks and working on cash , I have learned great customer service skills and how to interact with my fellow Cast members, my management team is involved in everything I do they are great when it come to getting help and something is needed they are readily available.
The hardest part sometimes is dealing with the capacity of guest that we get on Busy opening weeks for movies. The most enjoyable is getting to see some the awesome people I work with on a daily basis.
Productive and fun workplace with very friendly and opening coworkers
Cashier/Sales (Current Employee), Pitt Meadows, BCJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: free movies
Cons: very busy weekend shifts
Cineplex gives you great opportunities to have variance and movement in your day to day work day with many positions that you can work up to and be cross trained in.
Lame big time
cast member (Former Employee), red deer albertaJanuary 13, 2015
Cons: big time rip off and waste of time!
I hate how every employee has to start in concession! The wage Sucks! Working with teenagers in grade 11 that are supervising adults is Rediculous! Personally: Im shy....I cant be forced on till in front of tons of ppl and feel comfortable.....I need time and better training and a higher wage like 14$/hr to work in concesdion...startig at 10.20$/ Is lame! My over all opinion is working at Cineplex was HORRIBLE STUPID LAME REDICULOUS AND I HATED IT. Im glad I quit...There are far far better places to work. Biggest waste of time!
Good job, bad management
Corporate Trainer and Team Leader (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: free movies, fun midnight release parties, video games on movie sceens
Cons: you don't know when your shift will end, asked to do things without thanks, requested scheduled ignored, must work weekend
(now its been a while since I worked here, so this info might be out of date)

For a long time I enjoyed this job, but by the end I felt very used by management.
The work is very normal, survive industry work. Different food units serve different food, they prepare it as the rules of the company they represent (Burger king, New York Fries) and do a very good job of following both general food service rules and the ones set by the franchise.

As a Team Leader I was in charge of the Unit and up to 14 "Cast". The Cast (and me) can not leave at the end of the day till the unit is clean AND they have counted there money with the treasurers. Who worked on their own time (didn't matter that a Cast member was done at X time, they came when they wanted). Was stuck in the middle between unhappy cast members and management all the time. No one ever went home at the time their schedule said. This is bad when you are ending at 11:00 pm the earliest.
Great Employees
Cast member (Former Employee), Burlington ONJanuary 9, 2015
Great cast members, very friendly and outgoing. I enjoyed working with each and everyone of them.
Few opportunities for advancement, unprofessional work environemnt
Cashier/Sales associate (Former Employee), Mission, BCJanuary 2, 2015
Pros: flexible schedules, free movies.
Cons: variable shifts (2-8 hours), poor management, poor sanitation, terrible pay, no opportunities for advancement or recommendations for other jobs
While it was easy for me to mold my schedule to fit my life, Cineplex offered little to no opportunity for advancement, and outright refuses recommendations to the workers for unexplained reasons. The management did not maintain professional relationships with the workers, and did not intervene when problems arose, allowing workplace dramatics to overtake business.The managers, in an effort to reduce holiday spending, cut worker's hours to prevent them from receiving stat holiday pay increases. Benefits were limited and the pay increases were hardly worth the effort ($0.25 pay increase after promotion to a position that required far more work). The worst part however, is that sanitation policies were inconsistent, changed regularly, and allowed for questionable practices such as using plain water to clean the nozzle part on pop towers, and surfaces that were used for food preparation. Unless you are in desperate need of work, I suggest looking elsewhere.
Productive fun workplace
Part Time Cast Member (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: free movies
Working at Cineplex was probably the best decision I've made. The management is great, and the co-workers were all nice and respectful. My most enjoyable part about this job was the free movies.
Not a very good workplace
Cashier (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABDecember 31, 2014
Pros: free movies, free lunches
Cons: long hours, busy weekends
A typical day at work at Cineplex consisted of assisting customers, cleaning, and prepping of food. I didn't learn very much at Cineplex, other than how to operate a deep fryer. Management wasn't very well organized, and neither were my coworkers, who almost all consisted of teenagers and young adults, who were obviously displeased at being there. The hardest part of the job was filling food orders in a tight space with a multitude of other coworkers, and popcorn spilled everywhere, which caused a very slippery hazard. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting free food and free movies.
A very friendly and welcoming environment.
Customer service (Current Employee), Stoney Creek, ONDecember 1, 2014
Pros: 50% from half an hour before your shift until half an hour after your shift
Cons: no full-time positions
This Job is perfect for students because they're hours a very flexible. The staff are very friendly and management are very understanding if you have a honest reason for being a little late or not being bale to show up to your shift, with an advanced call of course.

1 2 3 4 5

About Cineplex

Cineplex Inc. is one of Canada’s largest entertainment companies and operates numerous businesses including movie theatres, – Read more