Ciena Employee Reviews

Excellent culture but difficult to advance quickly
Global Product Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 May 2015
Ciena has grown rapidly in recent years and their portfolio of customer is one of the stronger in the industry.

Work-life balance is of the utmost importance.

It is difficult to advance in current position because there are a lot of obstacles to overcome, such as management, waiting on senior employees to leave or retire, and how much knowledge you can absorb and quickly apply to outshine colleagues. There is something new to be learned everyday, which is a pro and a con. Job is fairly secure but compensation is on-par or below industry standards because they are not a highly profitable company.
Pros
Work-life balance is the best in the industry.
Cons
Compensation is very low.
Really good, but wasn't there long enough to really jugdge
Intern Programmer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 April 2016
I worked on contract at Ciena, and for how long I was there it was a fine place to work. However, I was always busy so I rarely had time to chat. I'm sure it's likely different for full-time employees, but I just worked a bit and then went home.
Pros
Good working atmosphere, easy to get work done
Not a bad place to work
Product Verification Engineer (OME) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 June 2012
Hectic schedules, hands-on learning, Management fair,
co-workers mostly willing to share information
Hours and weekends are expected
Thrown into the fire quite often with expectations to learn product and features on the fly
The challenge of learning new technology
Pros
nice building, free parking
Cons
long hours, weekends expected ( without compensation )
Productive , fast phase and fun work place
Quality Assurance Analyst Internship (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 October 2015
The management is extremely supportive and patient. All questions are welcomed. The team members including the manager is approachable at any time for any enquires.One-on-one team meetings are conducted by the manager every week to keep the team updated with all the upgrades within the company and relevant to our team's work. During this team meetings any concerns regarding the assigned job is also discussed.Monthly team outings also take place where the team bonds. The company also provides lunch the entire week. In addition the company has a gym for the employees which encourages physical activity.
Pros
Lunch, gym
Cons
Fast phase
good
Supply Chain Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 July 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company.
Opportunities to advance
Metro Ethernet Network Software Designer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 June 2015
Ciena is a good company to work for in regards to people, company culture and challenge.

The most enjoyable part of my job is the opportunities to provide solutions for our innovation technology/products. The hardest part is to deliver the brand new product in very short software development circle.
Pros
Nice office environment, opportunities to advance
Cons
Tide deadline
Developemnt of interesting products
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 December 2014
I really enjoy working at BNR because this is a company that develop several product lines that somehow connect and communicates with each other. I liked projects where you would see a beginning phase, development and release to outside customers where you had a role to play in contributing to the overall project.
Pros
Interesting works
Cons
Managements
Focused on restructuring to meet future technologies.
Senior Software Engineer / Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON27 January 2015
Management is very project focused. Processes and tools used are continuously changing. Strong team work within teams.
Pros
Strong team work within teams.
Cons
Training
Excellent Import/Export COmpany
Quality Assurance Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SK16 December 2014
Work experience is great with this company as it gave me the oppurtunity to lead a business end to end. ANother great experience was teh ability to explore other business internationally and mange their requirement and requests effectively. Small company but was able to accomplish a lot internationally while benefiting business in homeland.
Management updates regularly
Manufacturing Engineer (Current Employee) –  307 Legget Drive , Kanata, Ontario6 June 2014
I have worked and many places and I find Ciena is upbeat and the management keeps the staff informed of good things as well as bad things.
Pros
Close to Home
Cons
I am contract, wish I was full time
A productive R&D company with a strong business drive
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, On9 December 2014
Ciena is a leader on the latest optical telecommunications technology, and has the business sense to apply this technology to the advantage of their customers.
Pros
Ability to work from home
Pretty good company to work at
Network Management Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 November 2014
I enjoyed my time here, but was pretty shocked when many valuable employees where laid off.
Pros
friendly
Cons
lots of work
Job was unrewarding mentally
Data management internship (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, On12 January 2014
-Learned how large companies store data, manage internal information and communicate between departments.
Fantastic Company
Desktop Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 November 2012
Ciena was a fantastic company to work for. It was a joy going into work every day.