Ciena Corporation

Ciena Corporation Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and fun work place
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 12, 2012
I would start my day off by checking my voice mail and email, responding to my messages. Facilitate conference calls, gather all the information, put the agenda together for customer visit line up the presenters, coordinate the logistics and the events. I'm a hard worker, very detailed, loved my work, passionate, had fun, reliable and love to see start – more... to end, gave a 150% to my job. – less
Good work environment
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Hanover, MDDecember 9, 2014
Pros: great working environment
My career at Ciena lasted 14 years. It was a great place to work. It was close to home and I met a lot of dedicated people. I enhanced my Customer Service skills through interaction with colleagues around the world. I worked for Managers who were supportive and enabled me to grow, taking on additional responsibilities. Together, we worked tirelessly – more... to help Ciena evolve into the successful, global company it has become. I managed the out of warranty material, billing between 800k and 1.2 million per quarter. The hardest part of the job was leaving. The most enjoyable part of working for Ciena was the relationships that were built with my co-workers, who became friends. They are a great group of people who made an impact on me. – less
Good working environment
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee), Linthicum, MDNovember 4, 2014
Pros: free parking
Review, negotiate and structure Vendor agreements. Prepare responses to RFP, RFQ and RFI. Review and prepare customer agreements.
Managed into failure
Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee), San Jose, CAOctober 9, 2014
Pros: tgif food and beer
Cons: loud open cubes
The San Jose and Spokane divisions of the company have released three consecutive failed products, subsidized by the company's optical division. Each has been done on the cheap, with an emphasis on time to market, before gathering realistic requirements or identifying the means to achieve them. The follow through has been an endless churn to correct – more... surface defects without resolving fundamental problems. – less
Ciena Corp
Administrative Assistant, Operations Team (Former Employee), Linthicum, MDJuly 10, 2014
Pros: quarterly bonus
One of the greatest companies I have ever worked for.

I left Ciena since I was accepted to Johns Hopkins School of Radiology. It was a very tough decision since I loved my job.
Good place to work.
Collections Specialist - Accounts Receivable (Former Employee), linthicum, Maryland``April 30, 2014
Pros: nice people
Good company to work for. This was a temp. position. Large company will friendly people.
A typical data at work
Sr. Oracle Technical Business Analyst (Current Employee), Linthicum, MDMarch 10, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: short breaks
I find that working for Ciena allows individuals to grow in various areas within the company
Lead Oracle Apps Technical Consultant (Current Employee), Hanover, MDFebruary 12, 2014
• Around 10 years of Total IT experience, including 8+ Years of working experience in Oracle Application E-Business Suite Versions R12/11i in multiple Oracle Application projects.
• Experience with underlying data model of GL, AP, AR, INV, PO, OM, MRP, HRMS and AOL.
• Extensive working knowledge in Analysis, Design, Development, Documentation and Deployment.
 – more... Involved in implementation, Upgrade and Support of Oracle Applications E-Business Suite using SQL, PL/SQL, Developer Suite 10g, with hands-on experience of various RICE components and Workflow.
• Hands on development of interfaces, Inbound and Outbound Conversions and used standard API’s. Expertise in development of Extensions to add additional validations and functionality to seeded oracle processes to meet the client's requirements.
• Technically proficient in writing Procedures, Packages, Functions, Triggers, views, records, constraints, synonyms, indexes and other database objects using SQL and PL/SQL for validating the data loads
• Experience managing technical quality deliverable/ resource/schedule/risks throughout the project, working extensively under onsite-offshore model using AIM Methodology.
• Good knowledge of System Administration with hands on experience in creating Users, Responsibilities, Request Groups, Menus, registering concurrent programs, defining Value sets and Descriptive Flex fields.
• Good knowledge of UNIX shell-scripting.
• Good knowledge working with version control tools
• Strong analytical, interpersonal and troubleshooting skills and ability to work in a fast-paced and team-oriented environment.. Extensive experience in maintaining development plan, tasks allocation, task monitoring, establishing/monitoring quality process, study/audit of existing business process and preparation of issue logs, requirement gathering, user interaction, gap analysis, technical data mapping and analysis – less
Sr software enginer
Sr Software Engineer (Former Employee), marylandJanuary 12, 2014
day-today activies involves programming in c on linux platform
Productive and good for learning
Engineer (Former Employee), Gurgaon, HRDecember 21, 2013
Pros: free food
I joined Ciena as a fresher straight from college. I became part of the board design group in Ciena. The team there designed some of the most complex cards in the world. There i learned lot of stuff like schematic design, board bring up, testing etc. Again I had the opportunity to interact with other teams like FPGA design, Software, Mechanical and – more... CAD. – less
Good conmpany to work for.
Lead Installer (Former Employee), Duluth, GaSeptember 13, 2013
I was with an install team that cleaned up quality issues.
enjoyed my time with them but the installation crews were let go so I went back to Alta.
One of the best companies I started my career with
Electronic Calibration Technician (Former Employee), Savage, MarylandAugust 1, 2013
Started my career with Ciena was blast and only company budgets was the only drawbacks. But overall great experience and education.
Cinea is a good company, but no growth opportunity
Accounts Receivable Specialist (Current Employee), Hanover, MDJuly 17, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: no opportunity to grow or move across departments.
I start the day off by checking my voice mail and email, responding to my messages.
A typical daily task is the invoicing of international customers, based on customer purchase orders, contracts, and governmental fiscal regulations. There are complex billing structures and require the knowledge of International billing and Currency Exchange Rate. I – more... maintain an open communication with various departments internally as well as externally as it relates to Billing and Collections.
My co-workers are diversity, which has given me the opportunity to experience different cultures, customs, and work standards. – less
Ciena is not the best place to work if you work in the Quality Management Systems/Buisness Process Improvement Department
Quality Engineer (Former Employee), Linthicum, MDApril 27, 2013
Pros: experience, education, learning how to deal with difficult people
Cons: management
Ciena is generally a good company to work for. My responsibility was, for the most part, internal auditing, documentation control, and business process improvement projects.

All of the people that I worked with, even while auditing them, were very knowledgeable, eager to share information with you, and were easy to work with. However, I can not say – more... the same about my own department.

Our department consisted of approximately 7 people, most located here in Maryland and two out of the country. Everyone on our team got along with the exception of one person. This person was a troublemaker, but unfortunately had more seniority because she was there longer then the rest of us on our team. She had zero people skills and was generally obnoxious. She bullied people within our team and others. If you were on her "bad side", you better watch out during your next audit because she would use her little bit of power to make your life hell with lots of audit findings. If she liked the department/group that she was auditing, she would give them better reviews. For instance, if there was an issue of nonconformity within an "approval process" in 1.) a group that she disliked and 2.) a group that she liked; only group #1 would have a right-up and group # 2 would not. She would pretend not see the discrepancy. This was clearly favoritism and not auditing objectively.

She also displayed the same type of behavior within our own department. If she was not starting trouble by talking about all of us behind our backs and making up lies, she would go into our boss's office and say that we all do not know how to do our jobs and she constantly had to fix our mistakes. She would also go to our boss's boss and tell him that our boss did not know how to do his job and that she has to do all of his work. She would portray herself as a martyr that sacrifices her life serving the company because everyone else was incompetent. She was allowed to set this tone of negativity within the team.

In any given conversation between her and anyone else, she would constantly refer to herself as "I' did this and "I' did that (this would literally be 15 instances of her stating "I" did this, etc). There was never "we" accomplished this or that, it was clearly all about her. Needless to say, she was very self-centered and set herself above everyone else. In her head she was the CEO of the business because he was also not doing his job.

During my first month of employment, I discovered that the previous quality team (with the exception of one = her) left the company and transferred to another - this should have been a red flag - A whole team including the manager got up and left, but left her there. Needless to say our team (I will refer to us as team #2) with the exception of our manager, left the organization to work for a different company as well.

I'm not sure who is to blame - her or the management team that allowed her to behave that way. In some instances it even appeared as though they were intimidated by her? – less
Senior Precision Machinist (Former Employee), Linthicum, MDMarch 1, 2013
Best place I've ever worked. Great advancement, salary and benefits.Positive rewards on monthly basis.
Very Good place to work.
Receptionist (Former Employee), Linthicum, MDJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: the people day work, off on holidays no night close to home.
Cons: i had no regular lunch time. no much interaction with my boss.
Great place to work wonderful people to be around smart produtive peple. I love being at the desk meeting and greeting proseptive customer.

I answered the phone,greeted guest and check them in and gave the guest a pass to see who they need to meet with. Sorted the mail,coverd shipping and reciveing when the shipping and recieving clerk was out. I also – more... recieved in packages at the front desk when it was need and documented them so we could keep track of them. Called cabs for guest when they need them.

The hardest part of my job was to keep guest form going up stairs without and escort.

The best part of my job was all the great people I worked worked with and also all the great people I got to meet. I really likded my job at Ciena. – less
good benefit
Lead Engineer (Current Employee), Linthicum, MDDecember 14, 2012
friendly and flexibly working enviorment. working is pleasent.
productive and multi-culture working environment
Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee), Linthicum, MDDecember 12, 2012
spend more than 12 years in Ciena, and really happy with the life here. Professionalized my software engineer career and enjoyed working with the co-workers.
Work hard
User Support Analyst, Information Systems (Former Employee), London, ENGNovember 17, 2012
Everything was done at twice the speed of other companies so it made like very interesting and challenging.
good benefit, global, culture diversity
AR Specialist (Current Employee), Hanover, MDNovember 5, 2012
Pros: good benefit
Cons: less chance for promotion
good company, but hard to get promotion opportunity.
Invoice validation is a typical daily task. In order to ensure invoice accuracy, read contract, communicate other teams, record invoice history, understand shipping terms and tax applications, and understand revenue recognition.
I have learned and improved teamwork effectiveness, and established good – more... relationship with related teams. My co-workers are diversity, I have experienced different cultures, customs, and work standards. – less