CIBC

CIBC Employee Reviews

Busy, busy, busy
Bilingual Precious Metals Online Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 24, 2015
Very busy department where it was essential to be able to make quick decisions and rely on your own experience and problem-solving skills.
Productive, fast-paced, and fun
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 23, 2015
Great work place with supportive management and colleagues. The company fosters a growing and developing environment that allows you to move forward in your career.
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 21, 2015
If you like a dynamic, professional environment you're going to like to work in the office of a bank.

I was working long hours but learning alot and meeting great people.

the benefits were amazing especially dental.
Pros
benefits, salary
Cons
working hours, stress
Great out of UNI job
Senior Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  TorontoOctober 18, 2015
I learned a lot here, its a great place for graduates. I loved the people there, they are always willing to help you learn.
Pros
great people
Cons
long hrs
Trust, Teamwork, Accountability
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON/New Hamburg, On.October 17, 2015
CIBC's values are acting with integrity, honesty and transparency while working collaboratively to achieve common goals. Employees are expected to be accepting of overall responsibility and relationships with colleagues, clients and the community. This makes working at CIBC a professional atmosphere producing a high standard of client service.
Decent place
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioOctober 14, 2015
Difficult to move within Finance. Systems need upgrade. Annual raises and bonus increase are very poor. Lots of old blood in the place.
Positive environment with good opportunities.
QA Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 14, 2015
Positive workplace with good management. Good growth opportunity and culture, personal growth is encouraged. Work and life balance is very well maintained. Decent amount of politics to be expected as part of any big company.
Pros
Lunch and Learn sessions
Cons
Corporate Culture
Excellent career choice.
Mortgage Advisor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCOctober 12, 2015
Really enjoyed working there. Mortgages is a great field to work in. Actually reconsidering the position and thinking about re-applying again.
Professional workplace
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 9, 2015
Good launching pad for a banking career. Learnt a lot about banking. For the most part my supervisors were nice people and were professional. Diverse workplace with opportunities for everyone. To succeed in this position must learn to network for clients. Cold-calling clients was a daily responsibility.
Pros
Professional workplace
Cons
Computer systems have a lot of redundant paperwork (repetition of same info)
It was a good experience.
Financial sales representative (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QCOctober 8, 2015
Working at CIBC was a good experience and it let me become the salesman that I am today. I was always top of my team and my department and that always helped me have better statistics and bonuses.
First 2 years were good, last 2 were horrible
Teller/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ridgeway, ONOctober 7, 2015
I was there to assist customers with day to day banking not to cram a visa down their throat every time they walked in the door. The company tried to turn all the tellers into sales people. Hated that.
Way too many managers coming and going. Just get used to one and then they're shipped off to a different branch. Then in comes another one with totally different rules. It was very annoying. Also computer systems were extremely outdated.
Would never work there again.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Too many managers came and went
Pretty Bad Experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  montrealOctober 7, 2015
In my time at CIBC, I was promised a lot of advancement and that their employees were very well taken care of. They set unreasonably high targets for sales that I had to push onto POOR people. Imagine having to shove a credit card down the throat of an elderly gentleman who is already 20k in debt. Because I had no heart for that offer, the system that carefully tracks your referrals has flagged me. Believe me when I tell you that working at a bank only looks fancy because you're in a suit...

They try to hype up their employees just to get them motivated to sell, sell, sell. They don't really care. Oh and a 5 cent increase per year to your salary?!

Also, try balancing a huge amount of cash. If you don't balance by more than 5$, chances are you're staying, even if its 2 hours UNPAID. This happens very often.

Lastly, they train you online, by showing some sketchy videos and multiple choice answers. When the real deal comes and you aren't aware of certain procedures because you WERE NOT trained for them, they fire you. FOR SIMPLE SMALL MISTAKES.
Pros
You wear a suit
Cons
Long standing hours, force you to sell or you're out, outdates programs and computers
Rewarding
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  New LiskeardOctober 6, 2015
Always opportunity for advancement. My manager was great. If you work hard and meet your targets, it can be very rewarding.
Not Satisfied
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 5, 2015
Would never go back. Targets extremely unreasonable, unrealistic, aggressive especially based on geographical location. No allowance for growth and development. Very poor employee experience.
Education and a good learning place
Business Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  DowntownOctober 5, 2015
My typical day at work is all about meetings, gathering requirements, meeting with stakeholders, resolving conflicting issues and prioritizing jobs. This opportunity trained me on how to manage difficult customers.
Benefits
Cons
So many Stakeholders to deal with
great canadian bank!
Associate, Debt Capital Markets (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 3, 2015
I worked on the trading floor for two years and really enjoyed it. Worked on the fixed income side, one of the strengths of the bank. Lots of opportunities to grow.
Pros
Learning opportunities
Cons
the usual bureaucracies of a bank
Good Place to work and deal with amazing people
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Manotick, ONOctober 1, 2015
Typical day at work included helping clients with day to day banking transactions and help with any of the clients questions or concerns.
I enjoyed working with the staff at the branch location with the support and learning from them.
Good working culture
Senior Fund Accountant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 29, 2015
The working culture is good, especially for your first job after university. The learning curve is steep but short. The working hours can be long esp during year end and financials. It is a good stepping stone, but one must move on after they get promoted.
Cons
Productive and Enjoyable place to work
Customer Service Representative. (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, OnSeptember 29, 2015
CIBC is a enjoyable place to work. I was at a retail branch level and I enjoyed working with all different types of personalities within CIBC and the clientele.

My primary function at CIBC was to process customer transactions for personal and business banking as requested by the customer. While upholding industry standards, ensuring complete understanding when overriding and authorizing any transactions.

Business development via identifying client needs and referring customers to appropriate team members.

Performing daily opening and closing procedures as required.

Learning about financial products and policies. Responsible for maintaining appropriate cash levels for safety and security of the brach.

My position was fairly easy for me as I enjoy working with all types of personalities. I think its a really good way to learn about your own tolerances. My co-workers were pleasant, easy to work with.
Cognos Reports Developer (Former Employee) –  TorontoSeptember 25, 2015
Good place to work and learn but not that great, in terms of project management, work escalation and delegation. They expect contractor to do everything without considering the system constraints and limitations.