CIBC Employee Reviews

Found 1,228 reviews matching the search
Great company
Branch Support (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT14 June 2016
I would work for this company again. Cares about their employees. Wages and benefits were fair, and fellow employees were great to work with. All around great company.
Good Place to work.
Client Technology Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
CIBC is a good place to work. Good benefits and support. Multicultural supported. Good management and nice co-workers.
Typical day
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
Our days are always booked, actually, it is my job in banking sector. My previous roles were working as Accounts/Finance Manager in large groups.

I enjoy being in CIBC and learned a lot from here. Our all management and co-workers are really nice. There is nothing challenging in this position because it is control environment and there fewer chances are doing a mistake.
Cons
large set up and difficult for advancement
Challenging Environment
Information Security Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2016
CIBC offers a challenging environment that allows for continuous skill development. The major advantage of working at CIBC is the benefits packages they offer to employees.
Benefits
Cons
Formal Environment
Worst Place to work
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 October 2016
I've read all the reviews and they are all accurate. I worked in one of the call centres. My experience at CIBC was great through training, but after training you are left to the wolves. It sometimes took up to 5 minutes to find support especially when there were 265 people waiting. All this and you are pressured to "sell on every call". The management told us that we were going to be micromanaged. It is hard to sell when there are people standing over your shoulder correcting your every move even when your are selling. The goals that they set are ridiculous and often when you have reached them there is always something that prevents it from going onto your pay cheque: like a call quality monitor that they held onto or adherence and compliance. Always something.
Good hours and STATs off.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alberta2 December 2016
Good hours if you work full time. Don't expect to get more hours if you only work part time and it's when they work best for CIBC not the employee. Programs are glitchy and time consuming because you have to use 5 programs at once to get something done. Training that you do has nothing to do with the job itself, so much more to it. Don't give you the tools to do your job properly and hardly any support. Good thing is you get STAT's off and decent hours. The targets are hard to meet unless you work in a busy centre, they don't take your area into consideration. Problem is the company is too big so to get one thing done it takes 10 years because it has to go through so many people for approval which doesn't work very well. You have to be the right type of person for you to succeed and enjoy your job at CIBC. The most enjoyable part of the job is the client's and if you work with great people.
Pros
If you work full time, hour lunch, STATS off. Normal 8-5 job for the most part
Cons
Unorganized, no advancement, poor wage, no incentives unless you enjoy getting pens.
Credit Counsellor
Credit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 September 2016
Developed my management skills which are transferable to the legal field. Working as a credit counselor for CIBC gave me great exposure to the client oriented service. I have been passionate about the operational excellence and client experience leading to profitable growth. Client account management, conflict resolution, and negotiated settlements are some of my strong assets. Solutions included referring clients for in-house debt-consolidation based on their financial capacity assessment. This had a manifold impact, both to the bank and to their clients: bank losses were reduced, clients were retained within the bank, and client-credit was rehabilitated.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Sitting job 8 hours long
Fun Place
Mortgage Advisor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC27 April 2016
Start my work at 6 AM as EST factor, start communication with Underwriters. Respond emails. Talk to co workers . It is really fun to work from home office having all the corporate benefits.
Pros
benifits
Cons
comensation
They churn staff, look at listings vs entire staff .. about 25% a year.
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 April 2016
They have a "core staff" .. load up new employees and let a good portion go before the banking year end .. so many "new" employees last about 18-24 months. New staff are used to go the scripted conversations and to draw in the new business, and the longer term employees are more than happy to mentor as they benefit from it.

Poor management, however outstanding training. The training, they have terrific infrastructure in place to handle it. Most new employees find this very impressive and look forward to a long future.

Be aware new jobs are LOW SKILL - SCRIPTED positions (think used car lot with a bunch of sales people skimming the lobby as fly catchers). If things go wrong the lowest employee will get the blame.

If you are new to the country or young and "attractive" you have a good chance with this company - but expect "cubical" life that is the same day after day. The co workers are terrific and helpful.

Typical day is a "pep talk" in the morning, usually a conference call and meeting after that. Minimum of two hours of cold calling each morning. You meet with maybe 3 or 4 appointments a day, do cashier duties a great deal (say 15 people a day), lobby is an hour a day. New staff also shadow or coordinate about an hour a day with the senior staff.

Salary and benefits are "okay" but much lower than in the past, reflective of the deskilling in the lower ranks. Advancement is possible if you can show you will "tow the line" and you show you will follow the orders without question.
Pros
Outstanding training and support for new employees. The investiment shows.
Cons
Extreme high turn over, low intellect scripted days.
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 April 2016
Great place to work and compensated well for the job you perform. Great benefits
Central Location
Management friendly
Community spirit
Avoid this company
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC13 November 2016
Horrible management and culture. Management including upper management promote and enjoy backstabbing. Can't get your work done because you're constantly stuck in "meetings", conference calls and make work projects.

The systems are extremely outdated and there numerous issues with screw ups. They do pay higher than the average bank but that's because they have to. It's also fairly easy to move up as the turnover is very high.
it is a fun place to work
Project QA Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2016
management is cooperative , great work culture. Company often send you for training. Gives you a chance to update your skills set.the only set back is salary is not competitive.
Pros
friendly Environment, cooperative mangers
Cons
Salary is not competative
Fun place to work until restructuring.
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario15 March 2016
Good place to work with good benefits but restructuring in process leading to job eliminations. Enjoyed meeting clients and assisting all team members. Difficult to adhere to job description duties only.
Pros
Fun place to work had a great team.
Cons
sometimes extra hours worked
Wonderful place to work
CSR (Former Employee) –  Fraser Lake, BC9 September 2016
I really enjoyed working at CIBC. The management and staff were all good to work with. I only left due to relocating back to Ontario from BC. I had quite a lot of responsibility there. I ran several fund raising campaigns, was responsible for the balancing and care of the ATM machine, handled mutilated and all foreign cash, did deposits, cash withdrawals, bill payments, wires, cables, supply ordering for the branch, etc. The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset customers. However, this can be turned into the easiest part of the job if handled in a caring and professional manner.
Pros
The Customers
Cons
Hour cut back
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 December 2016
The job itself was great, solid stable hours, challenging and fast-paced environment, and a nice team to work with.
Management at the branch I worked at was lacking a lot. There was a lot of bullying going on, and a lack of guidance at times when it comes to sales tactics and new practices. The way that employees were treated left me disheartened and looking for something else, anywhere else. I'm sure many other branches were great and totally different, but that is my experience.
Pros
Generous with hours, flexible schedule, good team work
fun place to work
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2016
I had some fun to work there but the work load was too much
to be handled by a small group of people.
The co workers are great but the management is not that great
The hardest part was to be always running short of staff
Pros
Free lunch
Overall Experience
Manager of Analytics (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 March 2016
CIBC is a great place to work with an overall positive atmosphere and intelligent, friendly co-workers. Salary can be competitive depending on what department of the bank you work in and depending on the type of mentor/mentee relationship you have.
Pros
Positive Atmosphere
Great benefits, poor job security
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS12 March 2016
Great benefits / treated very well when doing well, nothing but a number to get rid of later. Little chance for advancement.
Pros
Short hours for decent salary, good benefits
Cons
Stressful work.
A great place to work overall!
Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 July 2016
I had great variety over my years of service as a Client Service Manager. Worked for fantastic General Managers and many different geographic locations as well as different segments of the bank. I specialized in leading a team of highly productive Sales Associates who worked directly for Financial Advisors. I gained great knowledge of the financial industry including wealth management and small business. The most rewarding part of my role was seeing my team grow and reach their full potential while driving business results. I recruited, coached, mentored and lead a variety of teams with great success. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye when the company restructured.
Pros
Fantastic People
Cons
Company Restructure
Cibc
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 March 2016
Very good salary, bonuses, and benefits.
Scheduling was a bit harsh, and the location was poor unless you use public transportation. Parking is expensive, and they do not offer free employee parking of any kind.
Sales targets were pretty intense.
Pros
Salary, Bonus, Benefits
Cons
Schedule Hours, Parking