CIBC Employee Reviews

Found 1,165 reviews matching the search
Credit Counsellor
Credit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 10, 2016
Developed my management skills which are transferable to the legal field. Working as a credit counselor for CIBC gave me great exposure to the client oriented service. I have been passionate about the operational excellence and client experience leading to profitable growth. Client account management, conflict resolution, and negotiated settlements are some of my strong assets. Solutions included referring clients for in-house debt-consolidation based on their financial capacity assessment. This had a manifold impact, both to the bank and to their clients: bank losses were reduced, clients were retained within the bank, and client-credit was rehabilitated.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Sitting job 8 hours long
A great place to work overall!
Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 13, 2016
I had great variety over my years of service as a Client Service Manager. Worked for fantastic General Managers and many different geographic locations as well as different segments of the bank. I specialized in leading a team of highly productive Sales Associates who worked directly for Financial Advisors. I gained great knowledge of the financial industry including wealth management and small business. The most rewarding part of my role was seeing my team grow and reach their full potential while driving business results. I recruited, coached, mentored and lead a variety of teams with great success. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye when the company restructured.
Pros
Fantastic People
Cons
Company Restructure
team enviroment
Manager (Current Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONAugust 25, 2016
There have been many changes and challenges since my time here at CIBC. Over all a good place to work. More support from upper management for leaders is needed. team environment is adjusting as all positions have recently become "one team" so this is being worked on daily. Job descriptions have changed frequently as positions are being eliminated however, I take on whatever is needed on a day to day basis. Most of staff specially lending team are great and very hard workers. High value seperates themselves from rest , but as leaders we are working on this. We have another new GM so this is a positive change for the team.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
more support for leaders
Excellent work environment with accommodating management.
Credit Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  North York, ONJuly 6, 2016
-Overall, an excellent place to work
-CIBC tried hard to keep employees happy through events, contests, recognition, and were often quite accommodating when it came to balancing work/life issues
-Salary was appropriate for an entry level position, and commission was moderate
-Advancement was possible and encouraged, but requires maximum effort and proven statistics - opportunities are presented often
-Management was excellent, encouraging employees to do their best and supplying the assistance/coaching/tools necessary to achieve personal goals
Pros
excellent training/coaching/support
Cons
late hours, inflexible schedule at beginning of employment
I love the interaction between myself,my co-workers and the customers
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 16, 2015
A typical day involves me taking 60-70 phone calls which includes a wide range of issues, such as technical, financial and also emotional. I learn daily about the different lifestyles that we lead and how financial goals and aspiration differs and how individual gets to those goals are quite unique.
The management style is a open concept which i love, everyone is accessible.
My co-workers share a unique bond because they can relate to the daily struggles.
The hardest part of my job is not being able to help someone especially a senior when they desperately need some financial help/guidance.
The most enjoyable part of my job is helping someone who may be drowning in debt and are financial illiterate and may feel hopeless, but after i guide them and help them consolidate thus freeing up some much need collateral, which in term changed their entire life. That is the most rewarding aspect of my job..
Pros
Good benefits and bonue
Cons
changing shifts
Fun workplace with nothing but support by coworkers and managers
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 24, 2016
A typical day at CIBC consists of having the ability to multitask in a fast paced environment while being able to work alone and others. It is being able to work for the better of the company by creating and maintaining good working relationships with clients and being able to meet individual goals. There is a lot of opportunity to grow and build skills. There is a lot of teamwork in working as a CSR, being able to learn from coworkers and have help by managers. The only truly hard part about work is being able to work with long lines and customers that may be frustrated
Pros
feeling of teamwork, meeting new people
Cons
no overtime pay if needed to stay longer
Wonderful place to work
CSR (Former Employee) –  Fraser Lake, BCSeptember 9, 2016
I really enjoyed working at CIBC. The management and staff were all good to work with. I only left due to relocating back to Ontario from BC. I had quite a lot of responsibility there. I ran several fund raising campaigns, was responsible for the balancing and care of the ATM machine, handled mutilated and all foreign cash, did deposits, cash withdrawals, bill payments, wires, cables, supply ordering for the branch, etc. The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset customers. However, this can be turned into the easiest part of the job if handled in a caring and professional manner.
Pros
The Customers
Cons
Hour cut back
Needs Improvement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Exeter, ONAugust 9, 2016
Anyone who is interested in running and managing a successful company can recognize that people management is first and foremost the top priority. The CIBC branch that I worked for failed in the department of people management. Each individual person is an asset to the company. Their skills and knowledge base are what the company needs in order to succeed. Fostering skills on an individual basis and promoting growth and forward movement are integral to advancement and company success. CIBC was moving backwards in relation to fostering the growth of the individuals that worked for them.
good place to work with
QA (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 9, 2016
good team players
relaxed environment in some departments
salary and benefits are lower then market
Not much growth opportunities
excellent
CUSTOMER SERVICE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto and SydneyDecember 22, 2015
guidance provided
training provided
upgrading provided
excellent benefits
opportunity to advance
good staff
clients well known
Pros
good location
Cons
?
Great experience
Senior Branch Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 4, 2015
I enjoyed working at CIBC. They really care about their employees and benefits were great.
A typical day started with opening the branch, prepping all cashes, balancing ABMs and bringing positive energy to the team.
I answered phones and met with clients regarding Power of Attorneys and Estates. I was the associate for the management team. I was responsible for all risk to the branch and monitored all suspense accounts and all NSF recoveries.I was responsible for the largest contract CIBC Ottawa had with the district Ottawa hospitals. Processing all their deposits daily and meeting all their daily needs.
I enjoyed organizing birthday celebrations, retirement parties and charitable events such Weekend to End Breast Cancer. I am a very organized person as my job was demanding and time sensitive. The thing I loved most about my job was working with clients and meeting their needs. I also placed outbound calls and booked people in for reviews with colleagues on an daily basis.
Pros
Very busy branch so I was always busy and days went fast
Cons
It seemed like there were never enough hours in the day to do all I wanted to do.
Good place to work.
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2016
A typical day at work is a morning meeting, checking messages, prepping for meetings, meeting with clients, putting clients plan into place and following up. You're on the phone a lot calling clients to get them to come in to review their financial situation. There's a lot to lean. You report to the branch manager, some are great. You are not too involved with anybody higher up than the branch manager. Co-workers depend on the branch. There's very high targets. Very fulfilling job if you are driven to succeed and enjoy helping people.
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 21, 2015
If you like a dynamic, professional environment you're going to like to work in the office of a bank.

I was working long hours but learning alot and meeting great people.

the benefits were amazing especially dental.
Pros
benefits, salary
Cons
working hours, stress
Overall a good place to work
Risk Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2015
Great work life balance, but salary is low comparing with other big banks. Not a lot of opportunity to move up the corporate ladder.
Fun place to work at in a friendly environment
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 13, 2016
CIBC is a very diversified company that hires from different cultures and backgrounds. They hold many fun events to ensure all the employees meet and greet each other to become a unit when working on certain projects. Managers are very experienced that staff are able to learn so much from them.
I've learned to use many different software such as Wall Street, COINS, IWS and many more. Most of which are used to create/edit accounts for foreign exchange deals to help customers make a smooth transaction.
It has been a great experience working for CIBC.
Excellent place to work.
Small Business Officer (Former Employee) –  Freeport BahamasApril 6, 2016
Busy work place as there was only one branch on the island of Grand Bahama.
Excellent learning opportunities (I learned to analyze financial statements; business plans; net worth statements; write credit applications and basically be a financial consultant to small business customers).
Very nice co-workers and we all worked as a team.
Pros
Working at an island destination for a global bank.
Cons
Long hours. Outdated computer equipment.
poor Management
SENIOR ASSISTANT BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2016
CIBC is a company where you invest so much of your time but not a good Return. The company Management politics is so much that there is no way for you to get a promotion that easily. It doesn't how hard you work, it is about how much you butter the management to stay on the spot light.
Fun Staff, Terrbile Management
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Management are ruthless, and expect you to follow orders as if it were a military style environment. Aside from that, each year they increase targets and expect you reach them even though no one else has. If you ask for help, they push you aside, there is no sharing of information, no oneness with your peers or management. The goals they set for you are not SMART, and you are expected to put your self down for not reaching them, and swear come he** or high water that you will deliver RESULTS the next time your manager sits with you!
Pros
friendly staff (save for management)
Cons
work through lunches, terrbile training, terrbile corporate culture.
Great Place to Work - Very Diverse Group of People
Manager of Client Experience (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 2, 2016
- Friendly Environments, working with others from different backgrounds is fun as you learn from each other.
- Enjoyable part for me is handling the paperwork or jumping cash (if need be) as the day goes by faster but you learn a lot and develop those everyday skills
-Hardest Part was managing your team in terms of coaching, doing huddles in the morning, mostly because of the unfamiliarity in how to approach it and make things positive for everyone to get motivated on a certain basis.
Great Place to work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 18, 2015
Great place to work, the salary is great, diverse working environment. I really hope they get to being the best bank in Canada again. Go CIBC
Pros
Lots of social events
Cons
Not the best bank in the industry