CIBC Employee Reviews

Found 1,160 reviews matching the search
Good Advancement
Lead, Advanced Analytics (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 5, 2016
Management, work life balance, salary and job security are great at CIBC. The job culture is vastly different across the various lines of businesses, which might not be ideal for people who dislike organizational red tape.
Employee and client focused company
District Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Greater NiagaraMarch 3, 2016
Typical day at work:

1. Coaching is the key to success of the organization as well as the main driver to employee and client acquisition and retention. A big part on the calendar of the typical day is coaching.
2. Reviewing and analyzing reports to identify areas of focus, wether Productivity, Net Investments Growth, Credit or Revenue. Align and design new strategies to achieve favourable outcomes.
3.Connect with Partners, study LOB's strategic plan and review performance and come up with action plans to address areas of opportunities.

People and performance management.. Leading Branch managers to success by ensuring expectations are communicated clearly, consistent and followed up on weekly. Recognize small wins to drive momentum and sense of progress to the success.

Hardest part of the job is having those difficult conversations that may also include terminations but they are must haves.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing individuals on the team succeed and grow in their career.
Pros
Great teams
Cons
nil
Fun Staff, Terrbile Management
Financial Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 29, 2016
Management are ruthless, and expect you to follow orders as if it were a military style environment. Aside from that, each year they increase targets and expect you reach them even though no one else has. If you ask for help, they push you aside, there is no sharing of information, no oneness with your peers or management. The goals they set for you are not SMART, and you are expected to put your self down for not reaching them, and swear come he** or high water that you will deliver RESULTS the next time your manager sits with you!
Pros
friendly staff (save for management)
Cons
work through lunches, terrbile training, terrbile corporate culture.
poor Management
SENIOR ASSISTANT BRANCH MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 11, 2016
CIBC is a company where you invest so much of your time but not a good Return. The company Management politics is so much that there is no way for you to get a promotion that easily. It doesn't how hard you work, it is about how much you butter the management to stay on the spot light.
it is a fun place to work
Project QA Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 24, 2016
management is cooperative , great work culture. Company often send you for training. Gives you a chance to update your skills set.the only set back is salary is not competitive.
Pros
friendly Environment, cooperative mangers
Cons
Salary is not competative
Very bad overall culture environment !!
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2016
Found CIBC to be over run with corporate politics, allowed for most deserving employees to be overlooked for advancement. Very bad overall culture environment !!
Cons
deceiving and manipulative management
Pathetic place to work!
Architect (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 23, 2015
I am contract employee in the one of the IT departments. The "Director" is very snobbish, arrogant and doesn't give sh@@ to others. He only approves 7.5 working hours, but he expects others to available per his schedule which means extended working hours.

There is no support from his side to his team, all he cares is his reputation to the Sr Director and that's it.There is consultant culture and most of the things are managed by them. There is no say for the internal consultants and every recommendation made is refused where as if anyone from vendor states something even illogical, it is approved right away. The director needs to be replaced with a professional one.
Pros
Big bank big name, upper management is still better
Cons
Micro management, no support for employees/ contractors, worst place to be in for contractors
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 6, 2016
Great place to work and compensated well for the job you perform. Great benefits
Central Location
Management friendly
Community spirit
Pros and cons
hr (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 12, 2015
This is a large employer and one of the biggest banks in Canada so there are many career paths and opportunities. With that, there is a lot of process and procedures and management is quick to pigen-hole people if they are doing a good job. If you are with a manager who has credibility with peers and advocates for your career progression, it is a great place.
Pros
Big bank, numerous opportunities and good employer brand recognition in the industry.
Cons
Politics
CIBC is committed to employee development and support.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Waterdown, ONNovember 25, 2015
Having worked within the financial services industry in the past, I saw an immediate culture difference when I started working at CIBC. It quickly became apparent that not only does CIBC value talent, it helps cultivate it. In other words, employees from all levels of the bank are encouraged to grow their potential and continually think about skill development for future roles.

Working for CIBC has been a wonderful experience. With challenging work, supportive management, enthusiastic colleagues, and a myriad of personal development opportunities, one cannot help but enjoy coming into work in the morning.
Very busy environment with many Projects coming down the pipe at all times
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 1, 2015
- Good environment
- Technology oriented
- Good management support
- Employee recognition could be better
- Overall solid place to work
Pros
Good culture, good job work/family balance
Cons
Poor chances for advancement, not the best incentive, not much recognition
Overall Experience
Manager of Analytics (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 1, 2016
CIBC is a great place to work with an overall positive atmosphere and intelligent, friendly co-workers. Salary can be competitive depending on what department of the bank you work in and depending on the type of mentor/mentee relationship you have.
Pros
Positive Atmosphere
Good place to start a career
FINANCIAL SERVICES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 4, 2015
CIBC offered me invaluable experience and a wealth of training. The benefits were good, but the pay was awful. I started in my sales role with no experience and therefore started at the minimum salary. After 2 years of good sales numbers and great performance, they refused to give me a raise more than the $600/year inflation increase. Bonuses were not indicative of your personal performance, but as a district, which could lead you to be severely underpaid for your skill set and performance. Management at the branch level was good, but upper management seemed like they were constantly panicking and therefore not properly doing there job as a people manager. They did not help with advancement or provide any support when you wanted to move up.
Pros
Hours were decent, 3 weeks vacation, good experience, good training
Cons
Poor salary, lack of assistance in advancement
busy and productive
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONSeptember 16, 2016
co-workers are very understanding and help our with any problem.
I mostly interact with customers the whole day and teach them about digital banking as well as serve them. I help them with any bank transactions such as (withdrawal,deposits, making drafts, money orders, replace debit cards) I have taught many clients about online banking and how to have an easy access to banking even at home. the best part is when customers love my service and rate my service a 10 out of 10. The hardest part is when clients come in the bank with an angry mood. Even though it is tough with those specific clients,it helps me to practice my patience and my skills in order to talk to them respectfully in that scenario.
Pros
free snacks and sometimes lunches
Cons
extra random long hours
Great benefits, poor job security
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NSMarch 12, 2016
Great benefits / treated very well when doing well, nothing but a number to get rid of later. Little chance for advancement.
Pros
Short hours for decent salary, good benefits
Cons
Stressful work.
Credit Counsellor
Credit Counselor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 10, 2016
Developed my management skills which are transferable to the legal field. Working as a credit counselor for CIBC gave me great exposure to the client oriented service. I have been passionate about the operational excellence and client experience leading to profitable growth. Client account management, conflict resolution, and negotiated settlements are some of my strong assets. Solutions included referring clients for in-house debt-consolidation based on their financial capacity assessment. This had a manifold impact, both to the bank and to their clients: bank losses were reduced, clients were retained within the bank, and client-credit was rehabilitated.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Sitting job 8 hours long
A great place to work overall!
Client Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 13, 2016
I had great variety over my years of service as a Client Service Manager. Worked for fantastic General Managers and many different geographic locations as well as different segments of the bank. I specialized in leading a team of highly productive Sales Associates who worked directly for Financial Advisors. I gained great knowledge of the financial industry including wealth management and small business. The most rewarding part of my role was seeing my team grow and reach their full potential while driving business results. I recruited, coached, mentored and lead a variety of teams with great success. The hardest part of the job was saying goodbye when the company restructured.
Pros
Fantastic People
Cons
Company Restructure
Very Dynamic work place with lots of interactions with clients and families
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 5, 2016
- Starts with reviewing recent changes in the investment and financial markets. Analysis of the performance of different managed portfolios and company performances as well.
- analyzing clients Portfolios and holdings and suggesting alternative solutions that's suits their proper asset allocation. Deeper investment planning in regards to correlation , standard deviation and geographic and asset class distribution of the portfolio to make sure that there is diversification as much as possible. Working on Secured Lending and Mortgages also as part of Credit planning process. Management provides day to day support in regards o coaching and expertise. Analysing clients portfolio holdings and conducting gap analysis while providing suitable recommendations.
good
Risk Analyst, Capital Markets Risk Management (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 31, 2015
-good work/life balance with decent salary and benefits

-laid back culture

-good managers

-bad part of job is the slow IT department
team enviroment
Manager (Current Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONAugust 25, 2016
There have been many changes and challenges since my time here at CIBC. Over all a good place to work. More support from upper management for leaders is needed. team environment is adjusting as all positions have recently become "one team" so this is being worked on daily. Job descriptions have changed frequently as positions are being eliminated however, I take on whatever is needed on a day to day basis. Most of staff specially lending team are great and very hard workers. High value seperates themselves from rest , but as leaders we are working on this. We have another new GM so this is a positive change for the team.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
more support for leaders