CIBC Employee Reviews in Canada

Found 1,049 reviews matching the search
Great place to work for all. Good company policy, great benefits
Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 2, 2016
At CIBC I learned many valuable lessons in teamwork, leadership, and accountability. Excellent team of workers in the branch i was situated at. Great overall place to build a career.
Good management, culture, and work environment
Application Developer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2016
Generally, CIBC is a nice place to work as a developer. Your needs are supported, and generally management listen to new ideas about technology.

The people are good, and the management is fairly easy-going. The work can be hard, but for this you must challenge yourself and always keep asking and looking for new things to do.
Pros
Management, people, work-life balance
Cons
Not the newest technology, typical red-tape overhead
Good and Bad
Software Test Analyst, Distribution Technology (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2016
Its a nice place to work with nice people. Things can become repetitive and stagnant at times but the downtown location and atmosphere is enjoyable.
Supervisor
Supervisor, Payment Validation Services (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 2, 2016
Good salary
security is not good
management is ok
multi-culture
more training opportunities for employees
most co-workers are excellent
Staff at my branch are fabulous
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONMay 1, 2016
Over all really like my job, pay could be better, and the company is making a lot of changes. Supportive company if you are looking to work your way up
CSR experience
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONApril 30, 2016
My position as a Customer Service Representative has been a fantastic learning experience and has exposed me to an industry that I have never considered working in before.

CIBC is one of the five major Canadian-based financial institutions that, through their main business units (Retail and Business Banking, Wealth Management, and Wholesale Banking), provide a wide range of financial products and services. The company places emphasis on being a leader in client relationships while exuding trust, teamwork, and accountability.

My position as a Customer Service Representative on a high level consists of assisting clients complete transactions, helping to resolve client issues, as well as referring clients to Financial Service Representatives to enhance their banking experience. This role has opened my eyes to the world of banking; it has proven to be an industry that I not only excel in, but that I can see myself pursing a career in the future.
They churn staff, look at listings vs entire staff .. about 25% a year.
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBApril 30, 2016
They have a "core staff" .. load up new employees and let a good portion go before the banking year end .. so many "new" employees last about 18-24 months. New staff are used to go the scripted conversations and to draw in the new business, and the longer term employees are more than happy to mentor as they benefit from it.

Poor management, however outstanding training. The training, they have terrific infrastructure in place to handle it. Most new employees find this very impressive and look forward to a long future.

Be aware new jobs are LOW SKILL - SCRIPTED positions (think used car lot with a bunch of sales people skimming the lobby as fly catchers). If things go wrong the lowest employee will get the blame.

If you are new to the country or young and "attractive" you have a good chance with this company - but expect "cubical" life that is the same day after day. The co workers are terrific and helpful.

Typical day is a "pep talk" in the morning, usually a conference call and meeting after that. Minimum of two hours of cold calling each morning. You meet with maybe 3 or 4 appointments a day, do cashier duties a great deal (say 15 people a day), lobby is an hour a day. New staff also shadow or coordinate about an hour a day with the senior staff.

Salary and benefits are "okay" but much lower than in the past, reflective of the deskilling in the lower ranks. Advancement is possible if you can show you will "tow the line" and you show you will follow the orders without question.
Pros
Outstanding training and support for new employees. The investiment shows.
Cons
Extreme high turn over, low intellect scripted days.
Performance driven and lots to learn
LEARNING CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2016
Challenging stretch assignments
Great scope for learning
Great workplace culture
Fun social events and great networking opportunities
Great co-workers
Transparent leadership
Coworkers and clients are the best part of the job.
Financial Advisor Small Business (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 29, 2016
Lack of support led to advisors dealing with day to day transactions
instead of being an advisor. Culture of mid management was one of bullying, get the numbers or else and if a problem, answer was figure it out yourself.
Fun Place
Mortgage Advisor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCApril 27, 2016
Start my work at 6 AM as EST factor, start communication with Underwriters. Respond emails. Talk to co workers . It is really fun to work from home office having all the corporate benefits.
Pros
benifits
Cons
comensation
CIBC is a very good company to work for.
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
I had more than 27 years of experience at CIBC. This company is like a family to me, the people I worked with is like a member of my family.
I will always treasure my experience with the bank.
Pros
good benefits; profit sharing entitlements; 5 weeks vacation with pay
nice working environment, flexible
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
Nice working environment, give employees flexibility to work from home 2 days a week, a lot of work during month end period, overtime is a must during month end
Excellent Place to Build a Career
Manager, Commercial Banking (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONApril 26, 2016
CIBC provides a challenging work environment, recent changes in Commercial Banking have revived a once neglected sector of the bank. However, systems and processes need updating to enable better efficiencies.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Tedious work flow.
Great place
Freelance Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 26, 2016
Very much enjoyed it here. Great work-life balance. Strong management. I enjoyed working with my team and my managers. Very friendly atmosphere.
Great Place to Work
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
Opportunity for advancement . On going training support . Too much pressure . unrealistic expectations towards achieving sales targets
Good workplace with perfect atmosphere to work and learn
Technical Systems Analyst - Co-op (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 25, 2016
I worked at CIBC for a year and it was a great journey.
Being an intern I wasn't ever treated as one, had support of all team members and everyone helped in making me learn something new.
a lot of chances
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKApril 24, 2016
you know a lot of people and have chances to improve your interpersonal communication skill. And learn to put your feet in clinets' shoes.
Pros
stable
Cons
no change
Good salary and hard work
BI Administrator for Cognos/SAS/SSRS/SSAS/Tableau (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 22, 2016
Good salary
hard work and long work hours
security is not good
management is ok
multi-culture
more training opportunities for employees
most co-workers are excellent
Good
Analyst, Business Intelligence Group (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 22, 2016
I liked the work and work life balance. The pay was decent but didnt get too much help from HR. Overall, enjoyable experience.
Good Experience
Targeted Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 21, 2016
CIBC can be a good employer, however, not too much room for advancement, management is inexperienced and the environment is very stressful. The things they do well: Pay well, Great benefits, Stock purchase plan and training is one of the best i've been through at any company.