CIBC Employee Reviews

Found 1,360 reviews matching the search
Typical retail sales environment.
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 February 2017
Ok compensation but unpaid overtime hours and unrealistic sales expectations are draining. Management is usually under pressure to pressure the sales staff to pressure clients to buy products they don't really need. This often results in frustrated and abusive managers. Software is painfully outdated with three to four programs needed just to open a chequing account for a client. Opening a mutual fund is unnecessarily complex and disclosures that should be part of the paperwork aren't included, though they are at competitors. The bank is also over-leveraged with its lending so giving a loan to someone is nearly impossible. Where it is possible, TD and RBC will be able to offer a more competitive rate and clients will let you know this.

Clients and colleagues generally make the role worthwhile but nothing else does.
Pros
Great Colleagues
Cons
Long Hours, Management culture varies from branch to branch
Leadership culture is not what they preach - job roles and demands ever changing and
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
CIBC tends to have a lot of policies in place but somehow miss out in implementing many of these to their directs. Although the pay is good and so are the benefits and various employee offers( share purchase plan) they tend to be somewhat outweighed by the stressful demands of the job. Poor life/ work balance especially when many areas do not allow working from home while others are not only allowed but encouraged. In today's Y Gen culture seems odd that they have yet to figure out that employee morale and also productivity will go up if people have the ability to strive for a better work balance with all of life's demands ( family , kids , taking care of elders) .
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of working from home / flexible work lifestyle
Good work and Positive Environment
Inventory Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2017
A typical day at work:

start at designated time
swipe in
check emails
heavy work load - can be handled, good coordination skills needed, and task tracking skills,
talks to multiple stakeholders to get things done.
repeated and planned followup is needed to see things through
the good thing is they provide the tools to do so.

Extremely security oriented so initially things like no in-office pics seem strange but I got adapted soon to the culture.

And process change is tough due to the security rigidity, trying out things on software side is a big no no. So if you are an IT geek wanting to drive change, - changes are mostly top down so you may not enjoy it. The pros of this is that changes are handled well and least amount of stress across organization.

But if you love operations then it is the place to be, lots of interaction with people and work. And when you are done for the day you go home satisfied and sleep well without worrying about the next day.
Pros
Good systems and procedures are in place
Cons
Salary & Advancement opportunities
It's alright.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Crossfield, AB14 March 2017
I love my job here. The clients are amazing, and so is my manager. The benefits package is also really great. However, I cannot give a higher rating due to the fact that the salary is so low. I can barely afford to eat, but it takes up just enough of my time that having another job is hardly an option. In addition to this, it really feels like the higher management (other than my two direct managers) really do not care about their employees. There is no option for more hours at the branch I work at (without getting in trouble). Overall, it's an amazing place to work if you don't actually need the money.
Great opportunities and great collegues
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Gatineau, QC10 March 2017
A day as a financial advisor for CIBC is filled with about 3-5 appointments with clients and about 1-2h of calling clients from our list. We also spend time working on pending client files, greeting clients in the lobby and filling out various paper work. The hardest part of my job is the sales part. I'm always close to the weekly sales objective, but never surpass it. The things I like the most is helping out clients in need of advise with their finances. I also enjoy working with my co-workers.
Pros
Benefits, salary, client contact, great co-workers
Cons
No overtime, sales objectives, call and talk to 35 clients a week to try and book appointments
Highly stressful but pay and bonus great...
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
At time can be stressful during their times when the different departments want to be competitive but it can also be very entertaining. Cibc has always been generous on food. Their benefits is amazing as well as their group investments. Cibc is very encouraging on advancement and education. I love working at Cibc but the current position i am currently in is too stressful for me more for someone who is just starting at cibc.
Pros
supporttive on advancement
Cons
can be stressful at times.
cibc experience
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 January 2017
it is definitely a rich customer service experience . I learned so much about dealing with different types of customers. I have helped my co-workers get passed a work obstacle. but unfortunately the management team was not the best . Hours kept changing and it was almost impossible taking a day off.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
long hours and low salary
Love to overwork the service team(tellers,ABM). OLD System
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alberta19 February 2017
Try to turn CSR's into FSR and then have line ups to the door.. if it was more of a team work environment it would be a much better place to work. Instead have to many sales rep and not enough tellers. Very excessive targets. Turn walk in appointments away to make cold calls. Hire inexperienced people causing huge mistakes.
Pros
3 weeks vacation
Cons
Overworked, low salary, heavy targets, cuts in staff, old system.
great company to work for
Mortgage Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
CIBC has great corporate culture with great managers.

In my time there I have learned time management, working cooperatively with my branch partners to complete tasks and achieve goals.

The hardest part of current job is that my pay is not consistent as I'm on 100% commisioned.
Pros
flexibility, great management, benefits
Cons
inconsistent pay
Good organization in which to gain experience in finance and customer service.
Senior Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 October 2016
Typical workdays vary depending on the location and time of month. I have learned how to stay organized and calm during busy periods. Management and coworkers vary from branch to branch.The hardest part of the job is maintaining composure and focus when there is a lineup and clients are angry. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with and getting to know your clients and coworkers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Rigid hours and understaffing
short staffed
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2017
short staffed, long hours, no support from management. when given the opportunity to advance, my manager took my position. i was cold calling for mortgage specialists for no compensation
Pros
freedom
Cons
not enough staff
Professional environment with challenges and room to grow
Investment Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON21 March 2017
Great workplace with many challenges and lots to learn. New challenges every day, learning to work with a variety of people and problems to solve. Striving for Customer Service at all times.
Pros
Benefits, Salary, Monday-Friday work schedule
Cons
The only way to advance in my previous role was to complete the CSC course
Great Culture, low salary compared to other comparable companies
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON20 February 2017
Pros:

Great work culture, good work/life balance, good benefits and a lot of chances to advance

Cons:

Low pay compared to other financial institutions
Awesome Team!
Credit Counselor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 March 2017
incoming and outbound phone calls in a call center environment
set up payment repayment plans, answered questions about clients' accounts
very helpful and supportive managers
meeting targets was challenging
most enjoyable part was to help educate people about obtaining good credit and managing their money
Pros
great benefits
Cons
bit stressful
Great company to work for.
Senior Financial Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2017
Great company to work for. Great Job Work/Life Balance, salary/Benefits, job Security/Advancement, management
and job Culture
typical corporate bank enviroment
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 February 2017
High sales targets, moderately low pay but good benefits. Some room for advancement if you keep up your sales numbers and your licenses. Job security and hours are not bad.
Pros
benefits, holidays
Cons
low pay, high expectations
Fun Place
Head Teller (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 March 2017
Working at the Bank will attract you with lots of good people.
I loved working for CIBC the salary and benefits wasn't very attractive when I was working there, hopefully it has been improved.
Pros
Discount on the service charges
Wonderful place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 January 2017
I loved working there. The general mood, and benefits were wonderful. The hours were flexible, and our superiors very kind and understanding. There were many possibilities for advancement. All and all, a great work environment.
nice team and good management
Account Administrator, Trust and settlement (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2017
Have a good life work balance; nice team and good management.
You will have a lot of fun working in Trust Team of CIBC Mellon and managers are kind and considerate. Though salary will not be that high.
Awesome company
Senior Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2017
CIBC provides very good working benefits. Also the learning environment at workplace is very good. The hard worker will be recognized with rewards. very positive culture in the company.