CIBC Employee Reviews

Found 1,320 reviews matching the search
Typical retail sales environment.
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 February 2017
Ok compensation but unpaid overtime hours and unrealistic sales expectations are draining. Management is usually under pressure to pressure the sales staff to pressure clients to buy products they don't really need. This often results in frustrated and abusive managers. Software is painfully outdated with three to four programs needed just to open a chequing account for a client. Opening a mutual fund is unnecessarily complex and disclosures that should be part of the paperwork aren't included, though they are at competitors. The bank is also over-leveraged with its lending so giving a loan to someone is nearly impossible. Where it is possible, TD and RBC will be able to offer a more competitive rate and clients will let you know this.

Clients and colleagues generally make the role worthwhile but nothing else does.
Pros
Great Colleagues
Cons
Long Hours, Management culture varies from branch to branch
Leadership culture is not what they preach - job roles and demands ever changing and
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
CIBC tends to have a lot of policies in place but somehow miss out in implementing many of these to their directs. Although the pay is good and so are the benefits and various employee offers( share purchase plan) they tend to be somewhat outweighed by the stressful demands of the job. Poor life/ work balance especially when many areas do not allow working from home while others are not only allowed but encouraged. In today's Y Gen culture seems odd that they have yet to figure out that employee morale and also productivity will go up if people have the ability to strive for a better work balance with all of life's demands ( family , kids , taking care of elders) .
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of working from home / flexible work lifestyle
No opportunities for growth within the company
Sr. Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 January 2017
Although recognized as a strong performer, pay is significantly below market with no opportunity for advancement. Work can be challenging due to personality management and politics if you're working across multiple LOB's.
Pros
Supportive management
Cons
Long hours, heavy dependency on technology, no opportunity for advancement and pay is significantly below market
Highly stressful but pay and bonus great...
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
At time can be stressful during their times when the different departments want to be competitive but it can also be very entertaining. Cibc has always been generous on food. Their benefits is amazing as well as their group investments. Cibc is very encouraging on advancement and education. I love working at Cibc but the current position i am currently in is too stressful for me more for someone who is just starting at cibc.
Pros
supporttive on advancement
Cons
can be stressful at times.
cibc experience
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 January 2017
it is definitely a rich customer service experience . I learned so much about dealing with different types of customers. I have helped my co-workers get passed a work obstacle. but unfortunately the management team was not the best . Hours kept changing and it was almost impossible taking a day off.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
long hours and low salary
great company to work for
Mortgage Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
CIBC has great corporate culture with great managers.

In my time there I have learned time management, working cooperatively with my branch partners to complete tasks and achieve goals.

The hardest part of current job is that my pay is not consistent as I'm on 100% commisioned.
Pros
flexibility, great management, benefits
Cons
inconsistent pay
Great company to work for.
Senior Financial Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 January 2017
Great company to work for. Great Job Work/Life Balance, salary/Benefits, job Security/Advancement, management
and job Culture
Great environment to work, there is is always a room to grow within the company with great support from the management. Great benefits too!
Senior Clerk Processor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
I had a great great experience working with CIBC. We ordinarily love to come a bit early and prepare our breakfast to talk about the life in and out of the office.

I learned so much about the banking process of Records Management and other Banking Processes plus Self development Training like: Code of Conduct, Client Workshop, Employee Training and Development and others to help advance my career.

The management acknowledged all my hard works and contribution to the company.

I have a good relationship with my co-workers and we share our ideas together and help each other and this is the reason for us to achieve awards.

The hardest part of my job was when people in my team called in sick at the same time. Its hard to meet the deadline without enough people to do the job, but was able to make necessary solutions with the help of the management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when we are recognized of our hard work and everybody is helping each other to reach our goal.
Pros
Bonuses/Christmas Party/Professional Training/a lot of opportunities
Cons
Very busy, long hours
typical day at work
Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
days starts at 12pm - 8pm
start with doing setup for daily testing, after setup is complete then deal with various admin activities and project meetings
lunch time whenever you are free (no meetings and setup is complete)
daily testing cycles starts around 4:30 till end of day.

Learn to do user acceptance testing for the bank's business initiatives in the perspective of mainframe programs and codes. supporting up to 6 different environments for different projects (max workload would be 2 environments at any given time.)

We have a small team, management and coworkers are nice and helpful.

the most enjoyable part of the job is there's always something new to learn, as new projects come and go there will always be new issues to fix, work hour is ok but i personally like it, work flexibility is also very good.
Pros
flexible, good work life balance, work from home
Cons
advancment is limited in this particular line of business
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 December 2016
CIBC is a leading Canadian-based global financial institution. safe and healthy workplaces, effective training, and positive work-life balance – so that employees are able to perform at their best, contribute to their communities and focus on cultivating deeper relationships with the clients.
Working in a fast paced environment where we help clients do their every day banking and receiving something equally as valuable, a smile that says you’ve made their day easier.
Great management ,friendly co-workers
Excellent work environment with accommodating management.
Credit Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  North York, ON6 July 2016
-Overall, an excellent place to work
-CIBC tried hard to keep employees happy through events, contests, recognition, and were often quite accommodating when it came to balancing work/life issues
-Salary was appropriate for an entry level position, and commission was moderate
-Advancement was possible and encouraged, but requires maximum effort and proven statistics - opportunities are presented often
-Management was excellent, encouraging employees to do their best and supplying the assistance/coaching/tools necessary to achieve personal goals
Pros
excellent training/coaching/support
Cons
late hours, inflexible schedule at beginning of employment
Great Culture, low salary compared to other comparable companies
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON20 February 2017
Pros:

Great work culture, good work/life balance, good benefits and a lot of chances to advance

Cons:

Low pay compared to other financial institutions
short staffed
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2017
short staffed, long hours, no support from management. when given the opportunity to advance, my manager took my position. i was cold calling for mortgage specialists for no compensation
Pros
freedom
Cons
not enough staff
Good organization in which to gain experience in finance and customer service.
Senior Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 October 2016
Typical workdays vary depending on the location and time of month. I have learned how to stay organized and calm during busy periods. Management and coworkers vary from branch to branch.The hardest part of the job is maintaining composure and focus when there is a lineup and clients are angry. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with and getting to know your clients and coworkers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Rigid hours and understaffing
Good company with fair pay
Personal Banking Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB8 February 2017
Sales Executive with Experience in Insurance and Healthcare Management
Created and implemented sales strategies to achieve 35% revenue growth per year. Highly effective management skills; able to motivate sales force and design incentive programs to achieve short and long-term sales goals.
Pros
Great office culture, lots of events, fair pay, opportunities to advance
Cons
Call center work
Banking
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2017
Political environment, difficult to advance the career. Long hours and very large workload. Great deal of favouritism and self promotion exhibited by management.
Nice team to work with.
Mutual funds Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2016
Good place to start a career in finance soon after graduating from university or College. Opportunities for development depends on the area you join and the management team you report to.
Pros
Community support programs that really produces results
team enviroment
Manager (Current Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON25 August 2016
There have been many changes and challenges since my time here at CIBC. Over all a good place to work. More support from upper management for leaders is needed. team environment is adjusting as all positions have recently become "one team" so this is being worked on daily. Job descriptions have changed frequently as positions are being eliminated however, I take on whatever is needed on a day to day basis. Most of staff specially lending team are great and very hard workers. High value seperates themselves from rest , but as leaders we are working on this. We have another new GM so this is a positive change for the team.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
more support for leaders
Avoid this company
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC13 November 2016
Horrible management and culture. Management including upper management promote and enjoy backstabbing. Can't get your work done because you're constantly stuck in "meetings", conference calls and make work projects.

The systems are extremely outdated and there numerous issues with screw ups. They do pay higher than the average bank but that's because they have to. It's also fairly easy to move up as the turnover is very high.
Not ideal for long tem employment
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 November 2016
Great benefits, not competitive salary, rewarding when you can change someone's life, high demand, stress, management is hit or miss.