CIBC Employee Reviews

Found 1,270 reviews matching the search
This was a productive experience
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 January 2017
• Complete transactions accurately and effectively and protect client privacy
• Initiate quality conversations and introductions resulting in quality referrals and closed sales
• Invest time in self-development by taking the bank as a good learning environment
• Understood all campaign products, services, branch operations, risk compliance and constantly exercised sound judgment, therefore became fluent and professional in client conversation
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Weekend shifts
Csr
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 December 2016
The job itself was great, solid stable hours, challenging and fast-paced environment, and a nice team to work with.
Management at the branch I worked at was lacking a lot. There was a lot of bullying going on, and a lack of guidance at times when it comes to sales tactics and new practices. The way that employees were treated left me disheartened and looking for something else, anywhere else. I'm sure many other branches were great and totally different, but that is my experience.
Pros
Generous with hours, flexible schedule, good team work
Cons
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 December 2016
CIBC is a leading Canadian-based global financial institution. safe and healthy workplaces, effective training, and positive work-life balance – so that employees are able to perform at their best, contribute to their communities and focus on cultivating deeper relationships with the clients.
Working in a fast paced environment where we help clients do their every day banking and receiving something equally as valuable, a smile that says you’ve made their day easier.
Great management ,friendly co-workers
Great work place
Bilingual Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 November 2016
Excellent support from Managers, NSL- National support line/EHD- Employee help desk, District representatives such as Mutual Funds Specialist, Lending and Mortgage Specialist, Insurance Specialist etc who help you in your role and your overall success. Overall hard work, dedication and motivation with desire to succeed is recognized by management and appreciated. Employee morale in the company is very positive. Targe
Re-organization without sufficient notice!
Technical Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
If you're an independent contractor, avoid this company like the plague.

Although they claim to be 'like a family', it is dysfunctional at best. After they recently underwent a reorganization, they started to chip away at the contractors by low-balling them when hired and then demanding they accept a pay cut to remain on the 'selected' list.

They appear to be speaking from both sides of their collective mouths.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Secrecy and lack of transparency.
Great Place to Work
Financial Advisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB15 December 2016
Great place to work. Training is always available. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting with clients and being able to help them. The gratitude they showed wether it be a mortgage, loan or a problem resolved is the best reward possible. Co-workers were great to work with. Everyone helped everyone. The hardest part of the job was times when we were short staffed.
Pros
Work/Lifestyle
Cons
Late nights
Highly stressful but pay and bonus great...
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
At time can be stressful during their times when the different departments want to be competitive but it can also be very entertaining. Cibc has always been generous on food. Their benefits is amazing as well as their group investments. Cibc is very encouraging on advancement and education. I love working at Cibc but the current position i am currently in is too stressful for me more for someone who is just starting at cibc.
Pros
supporttive on advancement
Cons
can be stressful at times.
Professional
Senior AML Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 December 2016
Work environment is team oriented and result focused. Managements gives lot of room and open to new ideas .
Everyday is learning experience and we have weekly meetings ,which I look forward to.
Manager sits down one on one to discuss our progress every week and shares the expectations and encourages us .
E-mails are sent out to other team members to share success stories with rest of the team as well.
Avoid this company
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC13 November 2016
Horrible management and culture. Management including upper management promote and enjoy backstabbing. Can't get your work done because you're constantly stuck in "meetings", conference calls and make work projects.

The systems are extremely outdated and there numerous issues with screw ups. They do pay higher than the average bank but that's because they have to. It's also fairly easy to move up as the turnover is very high.
Leadership culture is not what they preach - job roles and demands ever changing and
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2017
CIBC tends to have a lot of policies in place but somehow miss out in implementing many of these to their directs. Although the pay is good and so are the benefits and various employee offers( share purchase plan) they tend to be somewhat outweighed by the stressful demands of the job. Poor life/ work balance especially when many areas do not allow working from home while others are not only allowed but encouraged. In today's Y Gen culture seems odd that they have yet to figure out that employee morale and also productivity will go up if people have the ability to strive for a better work balance with all of life's demands ( family , kids , taking care of elders) .
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Lack of working from home / flexible work lifestyle
Good organization in which to gain experience in finance and customer service.
Senior Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 October 2016
Typical workdays vary depending on the location and time of month. I have learned how to stay organized and calm during busy periods. Management and coworkers vary from branch to branch.The hardest part of the job is maintaining composure and focus when there is a lineup and clients are angry. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with and getting to know your clients and coworkers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Rigid hours and understaffing
Great place to grow. Challenging projects keep you on your toes.
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 November 2016
Overall great place to work. Management is very engaged and will help you with any roadblocks. Technology Operations has recently undergone some organizational changes. A little challenging to find the right people to talk to as a result.
Pros
Independent work environment, great support structure.
Cons
Large numbers of processes in place.
fun workplace
Senior Branch Support, CIBC Retail Markets (Former Employee) –  mississauga ont27 October 2016
looked forward to go to work. Great team. Management always willing ti listen. Manager had open door policy.

I learned to enjoy work.

Great co-workers made it easy to solve problems when the day was not going so well.

Meetings wre most enjoyable as we could put forward new suggestions and let the management know if tere were any concerns.
Pros
Certificates. acknowledgement of hard work
cibc experience
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 January 2017
it is definitely a rich customer service experience . I learned so much about dealing with different types of customers. I have helped my co-workers get passed a work obstacle. but unfortunately the management team was not the best . Hours kept changing and it was almost impossible taking a day off.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
long hours and low salary
Overall a friendly place to be.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON8 January 2017
A typical day at work started with opening my wicket and helping regular and new customers with all of their banking transactions and any new inquiries they may have. My co-workers were very supportive and encouraging, however I experienced some unique challenges with regards to management during my time with CIBC specifically related to a re-organization that occurred during my training. The hardest part of the job was when my customer service talents were put to the task when dealing with particularly disgruntled customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the day-to-day interactions with customers and getting to know different people.
Pros
Love helping customers with their day to day banking and questions they may have.
Cons
Challenges with management and lack of sufficient training.
great company to work for
Mortgage Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 January 2017
CIBC has great corporate culture with great managers.

In my time there I have learned time management, working cooperatively with my branch partners to complete tasks and achieve goals.

The hardest part of current job is that my pay is not consistent as I'm on 100% commisioned.
Pros
flexibility, great management, benefits
Cons
inconsistent pay
Typical day
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
Our days are always booked, actually, it is my job in banking sector. My previous roles were working as Accounts/Finance Manager in large groups.

I enjoy being in CIBC and learned a lot from here. Our all management and co-workers are really nice. There is nothing challenging in this position because it is control environment and there fewer chances are doing a mistake.
Cons
large set up and difficult for advancement
Nice work environment
Senior Fund Accountant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 October 2016
I did cash reconciliation and prepared financial statements for the assigned funds in the morning and review Junior's work; In the afternoon, i usually performed P&L analysis and researched on any discrepancies. When market closed and prices were in, I calculated the net asset value for the assigned funds and then reported to supervisor for review and finally sent to clients.

The manager is very approachable and co-workers are very nice and easy to work with. I have developed my analytical skills and the ability to multi-task. The most enjoyable part of the job is to coordinate with multiple parties to ensure cash and non-cash balances are reconciled, The hardest part of the job is to be both quick and accurate when calculating the net asset value when the market is closed.
Helpfull team
UNIX Technical Analyst - GCC UNIX (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 December 2016
As a coop student the team I was with was very helpful and allowed me to experience and gain skills in the UNIX administration field. MY typical day was to do account maintenance on UNIX based servers and to troubleshoot issues with application teams.
Pros
For a coop it was a good learning experience
Cons
Clsoed off the entire unit
Worst Place to work
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 October 2016
I've read all the reviews and they are all accurate. I worked in one of the call centres. My experience at CIBC was great through training, but after training you are left to the wolves. It sometimes took up to 5 minutes to find support especially when there were 265 people waiting. All this and you are pressured to "sell on every call". The management told us that we were going to be micromanaged. It is hard to sell when there are people standing over your shoulder correcting your every move even when your are selling. The goals that they set are ridiculous and often when you have reached them there is always something that prevents it from going onto your pay cheque: like a call quality monitor that they held onto or adherence and compliance. Always something.