CIBC Employee Reviews

Found 1,226 reviews matching the search
Highly stressful but pay and bonus great...
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2016
At time can be stressful during their times when the different departments want to be competitive but it can also be very entertaining. Cibc has always been generous on food. Their benefits is amazing as well as their group investments. Cibc is very encouraging on advancement and education. I love working at Cibc but the current position i am currently in is too stressful for me more for someone who is just starting at cibc.
Pros
supporttive on advancement
Cons
can be stressful at times.
Excellent work environment with accommodating management.
Credit Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  North York, ON6 July 2016
-Overall, an excellent place to work
-CIBC tried hard to keep employees happy through events, contests, recognition, and were often quite accommodating when it came to balancing work/life issues
-Salary was appropriate for an entry level position, and commission was moderate
-Advancement was possible and encouraged, but requires maximum effort and proven statistics - opportunities are presented often
-Management was excellent, encouraging employees to do their best and supplying the assistance/coaching/tools necessary to achieve personal goals
Pros
excellent training/coaching/support
Cons
late hours, inflexible schedule at beginning of employment
Great environment to work, there is is always a room to grow within the company with great support from the management. Great benefits too!
Senior Clerk Processor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2016
I had a great great experience working with CIBC. We ordinarily love to come a bit early and prepare our breakfast to talk about the life in and out of the office.

I learned so much about the banking process of Records Management and other Banking Processes plus Self development Training like: Code of Conduct, Client Workshop, Employee Training and Development and others to help advance my career.

The management acknowledged all my hard works and contribution to the company.

I have a good relationship with my co-workers and we share our ideas together and help each other and this is the reason for us to achieve awards.

The hardest part of my job was when people in my team called in sick at the same time. Its hard to meet the deadline without enough people to do the job, but was able to make necessary solutions with the help of the management.

The most enjoyable part of the job is when we are recognized of our hard work and everybody is helping each other to reach our goal.
Pros
Bonuses/Christmas Party/Professional Training/a lot of opportunities
Cons
Very busy, long hours
typical day at work
Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 October 2016
days starts at 12pm - 8pm
start with doing setup for daily testing, after setup is complete then deal with various admin activities and project meetings
lunch time whenever you are free (no meetings and setup is complete)
daily testing cycles starts around 4:30 till end of day.

Learn to do user acceptance testing for the bank's business initiatives in the perspective of mainframe programs and codes. supporting up to 6 different environments for different projects (max workload would be 2 environments at any given time.)

We have a small team, management and coworkers are nice and helpful.

the most enjoyable part of the job is there's always something new to learn, as new projects come and go there will always be new issues to fix, work hour is ok but i personally like it, work flexibility is also very good.
Pros
flexible, good work life balance, work from home
Cons
advancment is limited in this particular line of business
team enviroment
Manager (Current Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON25 August 2016
There have been many changes and challenges since my time here at CIBC. Over all a good place to work. More support from upper management for leaders is needed. team environment is adjusting as all positions have recently become "one team" so this is being worked on daily. Job descriptions have changed frequently as positions are being eliminated however, I take on whatever is needed on a day to day basis. Most of staff specially lending team are great and very hard workers. High value seperates themselves from rest , but as leaders we are working on this. We have another new GM so this is a positive change for the team.
Pros
good work life balance
Cons
more support for leaders
Good organization in which to gain experience in finance and customer service.
Senior Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC24 October 2016
Typical workdays vary depending on the location and time of month. I have learned how to stay organized and calm during busy periods. Management and coworkers vary from branch to branch.The hardest part of the job is maintaining composure and focus when there is a lineup and clients are angry. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with and getting to know your clients and coworkers.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Rigid hours and understaffing
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 December 2016
CIBC is a leading Canadian-based global financial institution. safe and healthy workplaces, effective training, and positive work-life balance – so that employees are able to perform at their best, contribute to their communities and focus on cultivating deeper relationships with the clients.
Working in a fast paced environment where we help clients do their every day banking and receiving something equally as valuable, a smile that says you’ve made their day easier.
Great management ,friendly co-workers
Nice team to work with.
Mutual funds Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2016
Good place to start a career in finance soon after graduating from university or College. Opportunities for development depends on the area you join and the management team you report to.
Pros
Community support programs that really produces results
Needs Improvement
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Exeter, ON9 August 2016
Anyone who is interested in running and managing a successful company can recognize that people management is first and foremost the top priority. The CIBC branch that I worked for failed in the department of people management. Each individual person is an asset to the company. Their skills and knowledge base are what the company needs in order to succeed. Fostering skills on an individual basis and promoting growth and forward movement are integral to advancement and company success. CIBC was moving backwards in relation to fostering the growth of the individuals that worked for them.
Avoid this company
Financial Advisor (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC13 November 2016
Horrible management and culture. Management including upper management promote and enjoy backstabbing. Can't get your work done because you're constantly stuck in "meetings", conference calls and make work projects.

The systems are extremely outdated and there numerous issues with screw ups. They do pay higher than the average bank but that's because they have to. It's also fairly easy to move up as the turnover is very high.
Typical day
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 October 2016
Our days are always booked, actually, it is my job in banking sector. My previous roles were working as Accounts/Finance Manager in large groups.

I enjoy being in CIBC and learned a lot from here. Our all management and co-workers are really nice. There is nothing challenging in this position because it is control environment and there fewer chances are doing a mistake.
Cons
large set up and difficult for advancement
fun workplace
Senior Branch Support, CIBC Retail Markets (Former Employee) –  mississauga ont27 October 2016
looked forward to go to work. Great team. Management always willing ti listen. Manager had open door policy.

I learned to enjoy work.

Great co-workers made it easy to solve problems when the day was not going so well.

Meetings wre most enjoyable as we could put forward new suggestions and let the management know if tere were any concerns.
Pros
Certificates. acknowledgement of hard work
Cons
Not ideal for long tem employment
Financial Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS10 November 2016
Great benefits, not competitive salary, rewarding when you can change someone's life, high demand, stress, management is hit or miss.
great 9 to 5 if thats all you want in life
Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 September 2016
if you are looking for a stable 9 to 5 job with good benefits CIBC is great , but with a confused corporate culture and a highschool work environment have lead me to seek a more professional culture that is client focused and believes in ethical practices
Pros
9 to 5 job
Cons
poor culture
Cibc
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2016
Had the opportunity to work on a number of new and exciting projects. The management team is supportive and continually looking to advance. It is a very hard-working environment with changing priorities; but the compensation and benefits account for the effort.
human rights
service desk specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2016
CIBC is at the edge of the law when hiring or accommodating people with disabilities. However they would rather involved legal department and spend thousand in fighting Human Rights Commission then accommodate a person with mental disabilities.
Pros
good salary and good benefits
Cons
no job security
Worst Place to work
Financial Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 October 2016
I've read all the reviews and they are all accurate. I worked in one of the call centres. My experience at CIBC was great through training, but after training you are left to the wolves. It sometimes took up to 5 minutes to find support especially when there were 265 people waiting. All this and you are pressured to "sell on every call". The management told us that we were going to be micromanaged. It is hard to sell when there are people standing over your shoulder correcting your every move even when your are selling. The goals that they set are ridiculous and often when you have reached them there is always something that prevents it from going onto your pay cheque: like a call quality monitor that they held onto or adherence and compliance. Always something.
Good overall, solid work culture. Management can be hit or miss
Financial Advisor, Business (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC23 November 2016
Good overall, solid work culture. Management can be hit or miss. Sales targets and sales pressure are constant although individual managers can make a big difference in this area.
Reputable company to work for
Mortgage Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Great work environment. However many people are on contract and not full time employees so salary and benefits are lacking. I don't think me or my coworkers would stay if there were more options. But great management and good work environment.
busy and productive
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON16 September 2016
co-workers are very understanding and help our with any problem.
I mostly interact with customers the whole day and teach them about digital banking as well as serve them. I help them with any bank transactions such as (withdrawal,deposits, making drafts, money orders, replace debit cards) I have taught many clients about online banking and how to have an easy access to banking even at home. the best part is when customers love my service and rate my service a 10 out of 10. The hardest part is when clients come in the bank with an angry mood. Even though it is tough with those specific clients,it helps me to practice my patience and my skills in order to talk to them respectfully in that scenario.
Pros
free snacks and sometimes lunches
Cons
extra random long hours