Cianbro Employee Reviews

A great company
Ironworker/opporater (Former Employee) –  New EnglandMarch 27, 2016
A great company to work for.As with any company jobs get more competitive over the years,And that makes it harder on everybody.
Pros
Great pay, Great benifits
Cons
Traveling, Being away from home all week.
great place to work
Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MEJune 27, 2016
Cianbro is a very good company fair with all team menbers . safety is number one on the job training is there for all team menbers
Pros
training
Cons
out of state work
B.S. artists.
carpenter (Former Employee) –  nyJune 6, 2015
Im a bridge carpenter with over 15 years experience. I applied for job labeled as carpenter in mass,nh,me. I was only offerd job 8 hours away, i accepted thinking it was my foot in the door to a good company. I uprooted my life and headed there.After two long days of orientation i started night shift. Turns out i was hired to be a demolition laborer! The very job that i did to get into bridge construction over 15 years previous. Their advertisement should have been worded "demolition laborer with minimal carpentry skills" NOT bridge carpenter. Waste of my time!
Pros
Co-workers seemed to be good guys, benefit package.
Cons
typical company that'll lie to you to get what they need.No respect for working level.
cianbro
Electrician/Grounding Professional (Current Employee) –  washington d.cAugust 20, 2015
Cianbro is a great company tp work for if your willing to travel. lots of work in the mid atlantic. great company they take care of you.
Find Something Better
Structural Steel Shop Fabricator (Former Employee) –  MaineJanuary 4, 2016
The only nice things about working here were meeting a few good co workers, and the Pittsfield location is in an area that needs jobs. However, I cannot stress enough that the negatives outweighed the positives by far. Seriously do yourself a favor and try to find something else.

Management is absolutely awful in the shop. No one ever seemed to know what was going on at any level, and asking questions about anything was not received well. If you need something with even a semi reliable schedule, think twice. It changed often- what I was told would be a fairly steady schedule with some overtime was completely false. It also changed without much notice, which can be tough if you have children or other things in your life. Even though my job was supposed to be a "fixed base location" position I was often sent to other locations to work for weeks at a time. Equipment is older and constantly breaking. Management is not receptive to suggestions that may improve workflow or really any ideas other than their own. Safety is stressed, but not really enforced. Health insurance is astronomically expensive and doesn't cover much.

I guess it would be fine if you're an easy going single person with not a whole lot else going on in your life, and you don't mind working a dead end job with almost no possibility of advancement- unless of course you get on the bosses favorites list.
Great experience
Painter and general Labor (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MEApril 22, 2015
Great team spirit. Have a chance to learn new skills. ready to start work again at this great company. great bosses. Great place to increase your skills.
Pros
free lunch great formans
Cons
no cons
great place to work with many opportunities for advancement and adaquate pay scale
Pipe Welder (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MENovember 25, 2013
typical day included description of daily activities with drive to goal but no huge push to overshoot the daily goal in a safe manner
I learned a lot about many aspects of construction including my training in pipe welding craft position and the ability to work with others outside my craft to all accomplish the same end goal
my coworkers were great where we all could see the others value, work together and meet goals in an employee owned company
hardest part of the job was traveling away from my family
most enjoyed part was the money and benefits
Pros
good work, people, benefits, and the chance to own a piece of what you work for
Cons
sometimes long travel and being away from your family
Fast pace do anything
Quality Control Supervisor/Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 18, 2013
Start early and end late with a full day of work in front of you. I have learned the in's and out of all duties in fabrication. There is a strong and supportive management team with an open door policy. The hardest part of the job is to meet dead lines. The most enjoy part of work is the diversity of work assignments and crew.
Pros
employee owened
Cons
sometimes long hours
Pruductive and fast paced
Iron Worker (Former Employee) –  Northamton,MAFebruary 11, 2014
Very physical, ladder climbing, working at tall heights.

Iron work essentials, safety protocols.

Interactive management.

Competent co-workers.

The varying elements (weather) could be challenging.

Job satisfaction, and production.
Pros
employee friendly, and safety concscience work environment.
Cons
travel
day at cianbro
Laborer/Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MESeptember 25, 2012
I was very excited to work at cianbro thinking that i would be learning new things, as far as using tools, getting certified running some equipment, because being told you only move on up in training and get to learn. I was very dissapointed that my job was a fire/hole watcher, a job where you stand or sit for 10 or 12 hours a day, or a night. I was allowed to take a fork lift training class I had to do some searching for, after I was promised training in equipment after being sent home for 7 days after operating a man lift with a co-worker that had already been trained. I had signed up for an electrical course training class, and everything had been allset. The class was a few weeks away and my paperwork had been lost and nobody had seen it. so I wasnt able to take the course. At the end of my employment I was on the night shift for a 12 hr night doing hole watch, I had nobody to watch my 10-year old daughter, so I got done.
good team of workers
Carpenter,laborer,concrete finisher,eqpt oprtr. (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MEJanuary 8, 2014
overall its been a good experience for me.there was no typical day at work,construction throws new challenges at you everyday.i lhave learned so much working here,working on bridges and around cranes,using form systems i had never seen,and just learning new ways to do things in general.the managment.demanding,we had some pretty tough goals ,at times seeming a lil overwhelming but we would always somehow manage to meet their expectations.my co-workers were great,fun to work with and very knowledgable.the hardest part of the job was working 10-12 hours everyday.to me that was a little too much.left me exhausted with no time to really enjoy myself.best part of the job was working with my team members,what a great bunch of people always willing to help and having fun while working
Pros
excellent pay, bought us lunch on occasion
Cons
long hours, working hours away from home
Cianbro Review!
Fabricator Level (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 3, 2013
I really enjoyed working at Cianbro, and would go back if they would have me. The people were great and I learned a lot. There was plenty of overtime available.
Pros
the opportunities available, and the overtime.
Cons
the repetitive job, constantly using a plasma cutter or grinder.
Great Place to work
Electricians Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MEMarch 21, 2012
Of all the places I have ever worked this company was super. I traveled a lot all over Maine and I worked with a great group of guys. This company educated me in my field, sent me to their learning school and were always concerned about our safety and well- being

Comment – June 28, 2012

I took a Job as an electrician they promised me if I left my job they would have 5 years worth of work. This job didn't even last 8 months, 100 of us were laid off never to return. I was told I would be back in 2-4 weeks, HR strung me along for 8 months then cut me loose. took $6 hr for health insurance and $8 hr for retirement (this $8 went directly to there owners for there retirement not mine)

Cianbro is a great place to work. Benefits and atmosphere.
Iron Worker (Former Employee) –  Brewer, Hinkley, Madison, and Pittsfield MaineJanuary 31, 2013
Cianbro has some of the best benefits out there. The co-workers are great, opportunities are limitless with in the company. Cianbro takes care of their own great place to work.
Pros
benefits and working atmosphere.
Construction
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pittsfield, MENovember 17, 2014
Typical day of working would be outside, co-workers really nice, hardest part of the job would be staying awake working overnights and hot temps on certain jobs
Fun place to work (safety first)
Internship (Former Employee) –  Brewer, MEMay 19, 2012
Worked in the warehouse doing inventory management and other operations such as receiving and creating work packages for the job site.
Pros
team atmosphere
Cons
no career advancement after internship.
nice co-workers but long work hours
Commerical Master Electrician (Current Employee) –  Meshoppen, PAAugust 26, 2014
Good company but job schedules are getting ridiculous. Work an average of 80 hours a week.
Pros
pay
Cons
hours, no clue when next job is
Good workplace with friendly co-workers.
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Bucksport, MaineAugust 22, 2012
Great company to work for. Management was good. Co-workers were great. They were very willing to help teach new employee's different aspects of the job.
Safe and productive place to work
Welder/Iron Worker (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 7, 2012
Go to work early in the morning, work in a safe environment, get the job done and come home to my family.
Pros
benefits, safety, training
Cons
layoffs
overall a good company to work for
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield, CTJanuary 6, 2014
Great Health Benefits, personal advancement fair, typical day very busy when there is work, expect to travel