CHS Inc. Employee Reviews

not available
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  KS23 May 2017
A corporate business first ag business second. Always in need of truck drivers to move grains liquids or dry products. Safety first always. In need of more customers.Management subpar at best. you are expected to put company first even for the meager wages,family second. lack of customers,lack of business lack of pay raise.
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Galveston, TX21 May 2017
A typical day at work includes performing preventative maintenance on facility equipment and monitoring all facility operations. facility operations include trans-loading bulk cargo from ships to railcars. Management is great, and really willing to work with you on any issues.
Pros
Co-workers and management
Cons
Erratic work schedule
Excellent place to work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Homestead, FL18 May 2017
I enjoyed my time here. I will return if asked to. Management was very open and helpful. As long as you were an outstanding employee they were flexible and listened to what you had to say. The culture was great, I had my dream job with great bosses and good coworkers. I left because the contract ended. I applied for corporate and awaiting for the position opening.
Poor Management and getting worse
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MN11 May 2017
It's one thing to have poor managers with little managing skills, but they keep hiring even worse managers with NO managing skills. Typical day would be nothing but negative feedback from those that make more money than I.
Pros
some nice folks, none managers
Cons
white people are not treated as well as other races
Productive, and challenging place to work with a family like atmosphere.
Maintenance Mechanic/Millwright (Current Employee) –  Othello, WA2 May 2017
Always doing something different. A typical day I could be loading/unloading trucks, operating machines, or working in packaging as needed. Most of my time however was spent maintaining, repairing, installing, removing, or even fabricating equipment.
Pros
Small plant with a family like atmosphere.
Cons
Few Opportunities for advancement.
Good place to work, fun place, and very accessible from all directions.
Regional Director of Employee Reltions (Former Employee) –  Minnesota27 April 2017
Great place to work with great office spaces. Fun place to work with a lot of opportunity for growth. Most enjoyable part of my job was being able to travel to other facilities to train and develop the employees.
Pros
Great place to work.
Cons
Some of management lacked a lot of leadership skills.
Productive and outstanding
Youth Care Worker/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Homestead Air Force Base, FL18 April 2017
Very helpful and energetic workplace. Everyone approaches you kindly and very respectfully. Everyone works together as a team. Plenty of positive workers.
Unpleasant experience
Youth Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Homestead, FL17 April 2017
On March 1st, at 7am the company, through the shift manager, informed us that everything was going very well, that same day at 5pm, they sent us e-mail to let us know that we were not going to work until further notice. Today is April 17 and we are still waiting for the notice.
Pros
Cons
Lack of seriousness with the worker
Track history of success despite complete lack of accountability
Account Manager/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MN13 April 2017
Unfortunate level of influence peddling and office politics.
Collaboration across business units is severely discouraged while openly talked about as a virtue.
Individual contributors who do not actively promote management tend to be assigned a greater and greater workload until they either quit or are performance reviewed out of the organization.
The company's substantial variable compensation package is not awarded based upon individual contribution.
Middle managers lack specific industry experience so don't expect to be mentored or receive internal training.
New business processes discouraged in favor of more meetings.
I was severely disappointed to see how this organization operates
from the inside.
Pros
Position in marketplace allows organization to remain profitable, plenty of capital to deploy, track record of success.
Cons
Ancient IT structure, outdated enterprise software, non-existent management training, individual development limited to sales process.
Steady decline in morale due to instability of the corporation
Ar Analyst (Former Employee) –  Franklin, TN27 February 2017
CHS has placed a hiring freeze, as well as a freeze on transferring positions within the company. As employees leave, the work load is shifted to the remaining employees.
Pros
opportunity for experience
Cons
low moral and management unavailable
Easy to learn,fun to work with other workers.
Seed bag Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Tangent, OR15 February 2017
There are a lot of good people that work there and they teach you and take the time to make sure u get it right. Its a good job to learn the basics of that type of work
Pros
Fun, easy to learn, very helpful people
Cons
Bosses not on same page, some times drama
Great people to work with
Lab technician/ Chemist/ Microbiologist (Current Employee) –  South Sioux City, NE13 February 2017
I love the people I work with, but the way things are going, I feel I will be out of a job soon with the down turn in ag business. Little room for advancement and little recognition for work well done.
Pros
Free lunches when we have no record-able injuries.
Cons
Little room for advancement.
Good place to work.
SAP Business Process Analyst (Current Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MN8 February 2017
Good job stability, work schedule, and benefits. I will say that things have changed in the past 5 years and because of that the culture has changed as well.
You have a family? That's nice, here's a nickle an hour
Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Annawan, IL31 January 2017
Work pace is decently fast. You hardly have time to think about how to resolve an issue before management throws you in the blender with the problem. 12 hour shifts and swinging isn't the worst part, it's the fact that besides a manager or 2, they don't care about your life away from work. In their eyes, we live to work, not work to live. As with the other jobs I've had, people normally get pay raises when they learn a new job or department, not here. If you perform well at you job and have knowledge of the process, don't be getting excited about your raise, it's just a let down. The hourly people are great, fun people to work with. Many of us are actively seeking better employment. Management is in denial about the turnover rate and enjoy running the smallest crews you can to save money. While economical for the business, it causes more people to leave than stay. So yes, it saves money in the short term, but training 5-6 people a year for 8 weeks, cost money long term.
The production supervisor is very unpleasant to work with and very rarely cuts you any slack. General manager is great to work for, as he treats you like a person, not a number.
Overall, I would not recommend applying here.
Pros
Benefits, overtime, and hourly workers
Cons
No decent breaks, Managements attitude, and swing shift
labeler
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Tangent, OR27 January 2017
My job was putting labels on bags and I had to make sure they where put on right so people could ready they so that means they could not be wrinkled or put on side ways.
Do not apply here
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Annawan, IL20 January 2017
This entire facility is an absolute train wreck. A typical work day is non stop without so much as a lunch break. You will never get off 12 hour shifts and you swing days to nights so your life is over. Prepare to work holidays,weekends,your kids graduation, your mothers funeral etc.......You work 4 on 4 off but still have weeks with zero overtime as some bean counter has figured out how to not pay you for that. Don't expect to be placed in department you applied for,as this rarely happens. Management is only concerned with lining their own pockets and keeping everything in house on a local level, So no real grievance process. The rank and file workers are top notch but thinning out quickly. It is a revolving door of new hires.The hardest part of job is punching in at start of shift.The most enjoyable part is punching out. Employee turnover is so great most dont making it through initial training.
Pros
Good training area to move on to a good job
Cons
low wages, long hours, swing shift, low wages, bad management

Comment – 25 January 2017

This Could not be more accurate. Still employed there but looking hard for a way out, along with everyone else. They have a hard time even getting applicants. They have poisoned the well in a 50 mile radius. Word of mouth travels fast!!

Bad. Plain and simple.
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Creston, IA20 January 2017
The only thing good about this employer is the pay and insurance benefits. Period. Poor training. Terrible schedule that allows for zero family time. Extremely high turn over.
Good job to show you how to be patient with disability children
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Canton, MI13 January 2017
The most enjoying part of this job is seeing people grow to learn how to build a life for themselfs.
The bad part of the job is getting them to understand how important life is when being organized.
Fast paced company with not so helpful management
IT Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Inver Grove Heights, MN28 December 2016
The management for the it service center team is less then desires.
The manager has no interaction with the team nor the team lead but will make assumption on members based on what little interaction that occurs.
A typical day consists on Twenty to fifty calls regarding first level troubleshooting.
If escalation is needed the team it gets sent to is not always helpful and will send tickets back with no information as to why even if the ticket is supposed to be sent to them.
The hardest part of the job would be the unbalance of home and work life. The it department is a Twenty four hour ops with Twelve hour Saturday shifts. The Saturday shifts are unfairly assigned as a team of Fourteen employees a single person should not have a Twelve hour shift every month as there are two designated night shift employees that take the second twelve hour shift every Saturday
Pros
gread colleges, good benifates
Cons
Horrible managment with the exclusion of team lead
Good company
Tanker Driver (Former Employee) –  Minot, ND20 December 2016
Love working and love driving good hrs and very easy to get along with strong and and good trucks
Pick up . deliver and do.your jod and be fine
Hello
Pros
Good poeple
Cons
Dispatch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CHS Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9