Christenson Communities Employee Reviews

Seemed like a great company.. at first.
Reception (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB20 September 2017
Poor salary for work load.
Upper management was always stating to staff body " don't worry about your job security, you are all safe here".
They completely blew smoke up everyone's rear end. Multiple employees were laid off due to " lack of finances, and restructuring".
Company did not clearly care about how hardworking and compassionate those employees were, and that they were their because they loved working in health care and with the senior population.
Very sad.
Pros
RRSP Matching, benefits
Cons
No job security
professional workplace
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB20 September 2017
The most fruitful memories as healthcare provider was when the resident and his family appreciate and thank me for the effective and efficient nursing quality care that I provided to them.
Pros
with benefits
Cons
job security
Great job depending on which department
Recreation aide (coordinator) (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, AB9 September 2017
Unionized company, great pay with flexibility in hours. Staff and residents are wonderful. There were hidden perks of the job that they didnt mention in the interview or job posts. A lot of autonomy in the rec department with programming. Not that much funding but you just need to be creative with low cost activities. I am sad to go! Im moving to another city otherwise i would have loved to stay.

The hca and other staff and overworked but still supportive and friendly. My department was not...we have a lot of control in our work. This was one of my best work experiences. The job is really rewarding! Highly recommend. Dont be scared by the other reviews.
Pros
Autonomy, friendly staff and residents
Cons
Low funding for programming activities
Poor job security with unmanageable expectations
Wellness Manager (Former Employee) –  Central Zone14 August 2017
Initially the company was wonderful to work for, the residents and the front-line employees were kind and supportive. Unfortunately it went down hill quickly. As part of the leadership team it became clear that the company expectations were not matched with adequate training and resources available. Very little support was offered from the highest level of the management team. This is a company who is looking for a "Yes" man. Constructive feedback and opinions for problem solving is of no value to the company. Management is treated as disposable objects, often fearing for their jobs.
Work life balance is unfortunately one sided with expectations of often working outside office hours and being promised flex/in lieu of time; the in lieu of time never being re-payed as promised.
Pros
Beautifully built communities
Cons
Lack of respect and support from the upper management
Not as Good as presented
Recreation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 July 2017
I was thrilled to work with this company... at first. The residents were delightful and the aspect of working as a team with quality care providers was perfect for my personality and skills. However, when management changed, the whole atmosphere and protocols changed. In a very short time the environment went from one of expectation to one of dread. No matter how much I gave as an employee it was never enough. Overtime was not paid, we were forced to take time in lieu/flex time but the work schedule made it impossible to do that, so often I was working extra for free. The short story is, if it was only for the residents, this company was a joy, working with the management was extremely painful and unfulfilling.
Pros
Loved working with the Seniors and making them smile
Cons
lack of respect for your life outside of work
Just okay
Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Lacombe, AB29 September 2016
Always on the good. Some days are crazy and some days is just okay.
Always short staff.
Friendly co-workers.
Residents and family members treats you nicely.
Heavy residents.
Pros
Friendly people
Cons
Always short staff
Excellent Job Culture
LPN (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB9 September 2016
Everyday is a new experience. The Environment at workplace is very warm and caring. Everyone work as a team to give the best output.
Was initially great, but went rapidly downhill
Recreation Aide (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB13 April 2016
With a change to the staffing and overall concerns, the recreation position very quickly became about how things looked on paper vs. what was ideal for the senior residents.
Pros
Great connections were made with residents
Cons
Management was very difficult to deal with

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Christenson Communities. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8