Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario Employee Reviews

Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 June 2017
We are very fortunate to have CHEO to support and care for children and their families in our community. Wonderful place to work and be a part of. Great staff and overall good environment.
Volunteer Fundraiser
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 June 2017
In my mind, there is no cause better to raise money for. The staff at CHEO is so helpful. Providing you would guidance for organizing events. Great recognition of efforts on telethon days as well.
good company
Decontamination Technician (Former Employee) –  ottawa, canada11 April 2017
great sales environment for self motivated individuals that are attempting to provide a little extra income. Managers and employees alike enjoy working for hickory farms
Workplace environment
Orthopaedic Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 April 2017
Enjoyed caring for patients and there family members to the best of my abilities. I wanted to make there stay or visit a memorable one. Hospitals and staff are always here to help everyone equally.
Pros
Always a good place to learn and help others in need.
Cons
I have none that come to mind.
I worked at CHEO from it's opening in 1974 for 41/2 years. I returned to work at CHEO after many years away.
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Mental Health22 September 2016
After working at CHEO initially, I worked in all areas of adult nursing, including Community nursing if the UK and on my return to Canada. Much of my learning in the UK was in the hospitals, but I took a one year course to become a District Nurse. Returning to Canada and CHEO was a great joy. I worked on the Float Team originally and then moving to Mental Health. There were no typical days as patients' came in at all times of the day and night. There was often phone triage being done at any time.
There were multiple courses on the unit regarding many aspects of mental health. I worked well with co-workers as well as on my own, working nights. Management was always available to staff on the unit or by appointment. The hardest part was seeing patients returning as the community recourses were sadly lacking. The rewarding part was seeing improvement and the patients and parents willing to work together and being able to refer them to what programs were available, There were many more programs being introduced over the last few years.
Pros
The education courses available especcially the Non Violent Crisis Intervention program.
Cons
Having to keep patients long than necesary, our unit being a crisis unit, due to lack of beds or programs to continue care.
RN Inpatient Medicine
Registered Nurse- Inpatient Medicine (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario, Canada27 January 2015
In this line of duty we are responsible for and care for the well being of pediatric patients and families. Typically we get a report from the shift prior and read the appropriate documentation on the patient of our given patient assignment. We report to the associated medical team of any alerts or concerns based on the assessments we have performed. We use electronic documentation to record our assessments keeping everyone updated. If family is not available we contact them and give them updates as required. We work among other professionals as a multidisciplinary team which is not exclusive to physioterapists, social work, respiratory therapists, etc. The most difficult part of the job is maintain balance in break time as often time with your patients and their associated tests and concerns often breaks are not possible or taken late. The most enjoyable part of this job is the satisfaction of a healthy child and family being discharged and taken home.
Pros
education sessions, working with a team
Cons
unattainable breaks
in patient care
client care (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario5 November 2014
During the years of working privately, I would assist my client while in hospital. I would take care of his activities of daily living, assist in transfers, comfort him with books, movies, and music, and massages.
Great while studying!
Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 May 2014
An excellent job while studying! Very flexible and always encourages education.
Pros
Free Coffee, Flexible with school & families
productive, challenging, and a sense of accomplishment.
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  ottawa10 May 2014
My day typically started at really early and it never really ended. there is and was a strong diversity with all the employees and patients alike.
There is a consistent need to evolve to your surroundings as you are dealing with an extremely large group of resident doctors and the ever changing needs of the hospital.
The department was surrounded by a strong group of individuals that made the team members work effectively.
The hardest part was the effect you have on the life of the children at the hospital, but it was the most enjoyable as well, when it all came together.
Pros
job provided value and a sense of unity.
Cons
a strong need for perfection in every minute.
Positive work environment that prioritizes the ease of patient care
Health Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 July 2013
The Health Records department of the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) is a vibrant and positive workplace dealing with the maintenance of daily interactions between hospital staff and patient families. In this fast-paced environment a variety of tasks are assigned and valued including locating and loaning patient charts and data, answering telephones, assisting visitors and physicians with information requests, and filing patient information to prevent misplacement. It is a very rewarding position that allows the team to work effectively together to assist visitors and provide relief during their stay at the hospital.
Productive workplace with positive atmosphere
Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON5 March 2013
As a lab tech, I plan and carry out experiments on a daily basis. I discuss with peers and supervisors to troubleshoot problems and share knowledge. My coworkers and management make this a very pleasant workplace.
excellent
OR Health Care Aide (Current Employee) –  Operation Room6 January 2013
very fast pace,it is a on going learning enviroment. It is a great team
to work with,the hardest part of my job,always go go go...
the most enjoyable part is being part of a well trained health care
team provideing excellent care.
Pros
a great place to work
Cons
long hours and fast pace.
Great place to work as a student intern
Student internship (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario3 November 2012
A typical work day involved assessing children with developmental coordination disorder. Different evaluations were used to determine their level of disability. Interventions were then planned depending on the limitations of the child and the area that required assistance.
I worked alongside a physiotherapist and a speech language pathologist. The hardest part of the job was to discuss with parents who were not aware of their child's disability. This was often challenging and some parents did not like to admit that their child has difficulty in certain areas. My favourite part of the job was making new and enjoyable intervention plans each week to assure the children were having fun and learning new things.
Pros
working with a variety of other health care professionals.
Cons
the placement was not long enough.
Gave me the opportunity to practice my Medical Office Administration program
Patient Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  401,chemin Smyth, Ottawa, ON, K1H 8L126 August 2012
During my eight-week placement, I worked as Patient Service Clerk on a busy medi cal inpatient unit. Key responsibilities included processing medical orders, ensuring that patient information and demographic data is accurate, performing receptionist duties, assisting with staffing of the unit as well as receiving laboratory results and updating charts. The hardest part was since its extremely busy unit with many care practitioners and students learning their names.The managment and co-workers were very helpful and friendly.
Pros
the opportunity itself was great
Cons
cant really think of one
Productive and very friendly environment
Patient Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  401 Chemin Smyth, Ottawa, ON K1H 8L1, Canada26 August 2012
During my eight-week placement, I worked as Patient Service Clerkon a busy medical inpatient unit. Key responsibilities included processing medical orders, ensuring that patient information and demographic data is accurate, performing receptionist duties, assisting with staffing of the unit as well as receiving laboratory results and updating charts. the hardest part was since they have a lot of health practioners and student knowing their names was a challenge of its own. The co-workers & management were very helpful and friendly.
Pros
to have had the opportunity to practice my medical office administration program
Cons
cant really find one