Children's Aid Society Employee Reviews in Canada

See reviews about:
Many changes have occcured for fostering, not all being "in the best interest of the child"
Foster Parent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2016
Fostering is a 24/7, where there are Children's Aid living in your home.
The hardest part is when they go onto adoption or return to their family.
I have loved fostering, but it has taken a toll with many children coming and leaving your home.
Babysitting (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 26, 2016
I worked here for several years. Sometimes it was just our foster children I would take care of and other times I would take care of other kids while the other foster parents were in a meeting or listening to a guest speaker.
productive and fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ONFebruary 2, 2016
able to help students with literacy and numeracy, while assisting them with their in class activities and daily living routines. Pleasant people to work with.
Pros
free lunches
Nice lunch room
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 9, 2015
Providing clinical care for children under Children's Aid Society supervision. The nurses were great to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help someone.
unproductive work environment
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  KingstonSeptember 30, 2015
not a good work environment. seems to be very little transparency. lots of internal strife and struggle among workers and management
Fun place to play at
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  cornwall ontarioJuly 16, 2015
mostly this job wasnt a job it was volunteer placement for 3 summers. I helped little kids get up on the bounce house slide, i handed out water bottles and food. Faced painted, I was part of the dunk tank. ( kids zone lift off )
I gave everyone a brown paper bag, made balloon animals for the kids, face painted, and also handed out food to the community. ( Break the Silence)
Pros
enjoyed seeing happy faces on the kids
Cons
long days
Babysitting (Former Employee) –  Hamilton,On, CaApril 8, 2015
I only help out when they are having a speaker coming in and need someone to watch over the kids while it was going on. I as well as a couple others would just play with the children and make sure that they behave.
Loved working there
Family support Access worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 6, 2015
Loved working with the Social workers at the IWK they were amazing and compassionate . I developed good relationship's and received lots of hours from them . the work was very flexible so was a great part time job to have while working at the group homes.
Pros
flexible
Excellent place to work
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 24, 2015
The only difficult thing is that Windsor is a small city and I would encounter clients in my personal leisure time. I always behaved in a respectful and personal manner but I preferred to establish a buffer.
productive and fun experience
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  York, ONAugust 4, 2014
I have learned how to be expressive, as well as building my communication and team woring sills when planning and assisting in events.
Pros
free lunches, meeting new people
Cons
there were none
Structured agency with friendly and enthusiastic staff
Homework Club Tutor (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 22, 2014
Every Wednesday night I volunteer at the Children's Aid Society. For about an hour I help the child that I tutor with her homework and write in her agenda about her progress. For the last thirty minutes, the children have a snack and then play a game either as a group or with their tutor. I have learned different teaching methods while tutoring the child, and re-directing strategies to get the child focused and on track in order to get her work done. There is always at least one manager there, supervising while I am there to help with attendance, prizes for homework completion, and for any questions we may have. My co-workers are very helpful with any questions that I may have and in working together to get the children focused. The hardest part of this job is hearing the struggles that the children have went through with their family. The most enjoyable part of the job is making the child smile or laugh, and helping them to understand their homework.
Pros
schedule works with my school schedule, positive work environment, helpful staff
Cons
only one shift a week
sad place to work
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONFebruary 1, 2014
I thought when I went there that children;s aid was about the children, I soon discovered it's about the parents
Pros
real eye opener
Cons
i was so unhappy, that i went and sold appliances
First job in field
Child and Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 10, 2013
Learning about CAS
Caring for young Adults
Getting involved in the routines of the house
Working as part of a team
Logging daily reports
Pros
meeting new challenges
Cons
hours
Fun
Data Control Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 17, 2013
It was an amazing opportunity and the atmosphere was good, the management team was brilliant.
Fun and enjoyable environment to volunteer in
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 14, 2013
I volunteer every Wednesday night, and tutor the same child each week. She typically brings in any homework she needs assistance with. If she does not provide the homework I have bought a math workbook for her to do while at the session. The hardest part is trying to get her to focus on tasks she considers boring. The most enjoyable part is seeing how happy she gets when she understands something.