Children's Aid Society of Toronto Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Doesn't recommend working in the HR department
HR Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2017
Benefits are very good however it doesn't make up for the lack of advancement, and communication.
People are not allowed to talk to each other.
Management doesn't communicate with employees only during department meeting.
Employees feel scared to loose their job every day so they never speak up about issues.
People are backstabbing each other to impress the management. The work environment is very bad and it's depressing to work there.
Pros
Benefits, Vacations, Work hours 9 to 5pm
Cons
No communication, no collaboration, no teamwork
A frustrating work environment
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 September 2015
It was not a very supportive environment to work in. There was no praise or direction when dealing with clients. Promotions were more based on the friendship with management rather than actual qualifications, I found my co-workers did not function as a team and were more interested in partying with the manager, a functional alcoholic, than focusing on the well being of the clients or became enmeshed with clients and created an unsafe working environment at times.
Pros
It was the best paying job for Child Youth Workers
Cons
You often ended having to do double shifts because co-workers calling in on short notice
Busy and demanding profession. Client contact and coworkers make experience rewarding.
Children Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2015
Employment with the CAST has been a rewarding and challenging career. During my over 20 years of experience with the agency I witnessed many challenging organizational changes typically which were influenced and driven by economic influences (funding) and or as a result of recommendations from Inquests.

A typical day at work involved meeting the needs of Ministry mandated standards to see clients, document case notes associated with these contacts, supervising family access visits, complete at minimum quarterly reports regarding client progress, attend Child Welfare Court and complete necessary Court Documents associated, lots of driving across Southern Ontario, administrative paper work filing tasks and responding to crisis related matters (abuse investigations and or apprehensions).

What I learned was how to multi-task in this highly demanding and often fast paced profession.

Management at the CAST has gone through many transformations over the past 20 plus years. Approaches to management style and treatment of employees has varied also. For many of the years of my employ with the agency I had the good fortune to have highly supportive and caring Supervisors who mentored me and truly believed in and supported my work in Child Welfare. During the later stages of my career with the CAST a significant shift in style of management took place starting from the top characterized by a switch in title of the agencies head from being an "Executive Director" to calling himself a "Chief Administrative Officer". Coincidentally or not the culture of the agency became more "corporate"
  more... in nature and treatment of clients and employees began, in my opinion, to erode.

Co-workers at the CAST are some of the most courageous and inspirational people I know. I am privileged to have met them and consider some of these people to be the dearest and closest friends I have. However it would be unrealistic to overlook that in an agency of this size and with the number of people it employs that there are not a few "bad apples" within who avoid their responsibilities and increase the burden onto the shoulders of their co-workers. I am sure that at times, because of my challenging nature, some considered me to be a "bad apple". But I prided myself on completing my work responsibilities and not being a burden to my co-workers. I had too much respect for them to do anything otherwise.

The hardest part of the job one might think was dealing with clients and witnessing the tragic and difficult lives they experience. But for me in fact the clients are a reward in that they show such incredible resilience and strength even if they are not successful in accomplishing their goals. I truly like and enjoy the clients I had the good fortune of working with and find them inspirational. The hardest part for me with out a doubt were the changes in management style and the associated "corporate" like agendas associated with these changes. The hypocrisy of this style of management within a helping care profession is upsetting to say the least. I also found it challenging to cope with the few "bad apple" co workers who avoided their responsibilities and burdened co-workers such as myself.

The most enjoyable part of the job was with out a doubt the challenges of client contact. I also value the many wonderful, highly intelligent and stimulating co-workers I had the good fortune to meet. And lastly it goes without saying that the compensation and benefits of employ with the CAST are some of the most competitive in the field of Social Work.
Pros
Compensation and Benefits
Cons
Increasingly ridged corporate culture
Productive and great team work
Legal assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 September 2014
Productive workplace. The team at the legal department worked well together. Good communication between supervisors, assistants and lawyers.
Pros
Training provided whether or not you have experience in the area
Cons
Can be stressful just like any other law office
Children's Aid Society of Toronto
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 June 2014
Legal administrative duties. Prepare legal documents and arrange for filing in court. Contract job through job agency