Radio and TV Broadcast Technician
Chetwynd, British Columbia
The Chetwynd Communications Society operates a community radio station (Peace FM) and a community television station (CHET TV). The position of Broadcast Technician is required immediately. The work day is varied, challenging and can be exciting for the right person who wishes to become involved in radio, TV and web technology. He or she will be treated to a professional development package designed to improve professional skills.
The Broadcast Technician is responsible for ensuring radio and video programs go to air, as programmed; as well as for the technical operations of the studio within the station. Our Broadcast Technician will have to have the ability to be versatile in three areas:
Our Broadcast Tech will become knowledgeable and versatile with our radio automation systems at our radio station and will work towards trouble free service. This means will have a background and/or training using RCS programs such as selector, airwaves, Simian and BN News and their collaboration in bringing our radio signal to air.
Our Broadcast Tech will also maintain the software and the hardware generating our TV signal. This means that our technician will be responsible for maintaining the TV network using our system and will be responsible for our connection to a satellite TV system.
Our Broadcast Tech will have the opportunity to work as a team member with radio and TV staff and strong computer skills are a must.
A background in website design and maintenance is a bonus and bonus funds will result if the Broadcast Tech can maintain and improve our website.
In general, our Broadcast Tech will have a background in networking and integration of broadcast systems using server/cloud systems.
Our candidate will have:
- a degree or diploma in Broadcast Technology and the ability to troubleshoot Broadcast Electronics Systems
- a thorough understanding of analog video and audio signals and their integration into Broadcast Systems
- an in-depth understanding of radio and TV technologies including experience diagnosing problems with Video Servers and their associated networks (IP and FC based networks)
- an understanding of radio and TV based network management and signalling and communications protocols and applicable standards that are or can be applied to Broadcast and connected systems
- an understanding of Broadcast Automation applications ( Simian, selector, airwaves, Grass valley Mediaedge, BN News.)
- the ability to troubleshoot Edius (NLE) system
- the flexibility to accommodate shift work and on call emergencies
- the ability to assist in implementation of new installation and modification of existing facilities
- excellent client skills and strong communication skills (written and verbal)
- preference given to candidates with a minimum of 2 years experience working in the Broadcast or Post Production industry
- Sufficient strength and dexterity to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds, and to move around and under computer equipment for installation and troubleshooting.
- A valid drivers’ license and vehicle for travel in the community.
Peace FM reaches audiences of over 180 kilometres from two transmitters & is broadcast on two FM frequencies and on cable TV in Chetwynd. CHET TV is broadcast from a transmitter in Chetwynd, is on cable TV and will be on a satellite television system in 2013.
We have a fresh and friendly tone and want a Broadcast Technician who is excited about maintaining quality broadcasting and enjoying new technologies.
Salary and Wage
Salaries are commensurate with training, an extended health and dental program is available after three months and a rental unit will be available. A rental subsidy is also in place and the first month of rent is “free” to the new employee. Bonus wage increases will be paid in six-month installments and professional development grants will be in place.
Deadline is December 5, 2013 please no telephone calls.Please specify if you are or are not eligible for EI.
General Manager – Peace FM