Chartwells Employee Reviews

meh
Lead Hand Caterer, Compass Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 April 2017
Great company to get you started in the Hospitality feild. I cant believe I am making a review for everything on my resume but heck here we go. Blah blah blah 150 characters good... moving along
making food allday long
General help and manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 March 2017
I enjoyed working there, cooking and learning how to cook different types of food and getting to know the people there was amazing. management there was very easy to work with and got along with everyone. I traveled from school to school when they needed someone to cover a shift.
Pros
amazing people
Cons
dealing with kids who want free meals
Messy Kitchen
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB15 March 2017
They are very unfriendly people to be around, they also leave a mess every night, and take too long to make your meals. They also don't order the supplies needed to get the job done right and ontime.
Cons
Mean People
Great place to work for
Kitchen Lead (Chef Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2017
Great place to work for, excellent growth prospects, the only downside would be the layoffs in vacations...............................................
Great Place to work for
Kitchen Lead (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 March 2017
Good employer, excellent growth prospects, the only downside would be the layoffs in vacations.........................................................
Busy location.
1st Cook (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 March 2017
Pub and eatery at Ottawa Bytown market area . Hours of operation are long. Great staff and fun atmosphere .If you like Celtic music , this is your place!
Is a pretty awesome place to work!!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB10 March 2017
Its a place where I learned how to manage money and I absolutely fell in love with it. So much that I want to break into the banking industry and learn more. The management team taught me to be strong in problem solving, data entry, and customer service from a financial perspective. The hardest part of the job was to keep my emotions from coming into play when I was in training. I will never forget the words they taught me...money has no feelings. LOL!
The most enjoyable part of the job I was doing was counting the money from the different kiosks on the college grounds and doing data entry.
Pros
meals were covered
Cons
some long hours
Great Company
Cashier/General Help (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON3 March 2017
Chartwells Canada is a great company to work for. Unfortunately I injured myself on the job so I no longer work there, but through my injury and recovery process Chartwells worked with me to help me to recover, they made sure I was as comfortable as possible and supported me. I recommend this company :)
Great job if you have kids in school
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia Lake, NS7 February 2017
It's all about the money, you need to make budget or they are on your case. Don't get paid for storm days, I service days, power outages. Menu is not suited for all areas.
Pros
Same hours as kids in school
Cons
Hours are based on sales
Product and a fun company to work for
Prep-cook (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 January 2017
Serve students in a high school, prep-cook meals for the high school student! Make sure they are getting a health and reasonable amount of food for them!!
amazing work environment
Lead Hand/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON25 January 2017
Amazing company to work at, motivated employees and great team effort.I started as general help and was promoted to lead hand in no time which taught me immense people skills and improved my management skills.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
far from my house
my placement
Co-op Student (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON22 January 2017
I probably have never had a better work experience the company is great my manager was fantastic. I was treated equally as everyone else. The first couple days it was nerve racking but I got the hang of how everything goes before the end of my first week
productive organization
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
I was at this job for seven years. I enjoyed this employment experience fully. The location was close to all of the bus routes and easy to get to from home.
Pros
reduced rates for meals
Cons
lack of management
Stress
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON16 November 2016
Very stressful environment. Was hired as a unit supervisor and demoted myself because it's too stressful. No appreciation from upper management.
Pros
During school hours
Cons
Off through out the year on EI
i love what i do i love my residents
PSW (Current Employee) –  Aylmer, ON24 August 2016
i love the line of work how ever hate being short staff every single day or shift when that many people to take care of they deserve to be takin care of right
Productive and fun workplace
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON12 August 2016
Work was long but it's great. I learned how to do cash, clean up, make drinks and sandwiches. The management was great. I worked by myself so I didn't really talk that much to co-workers. The hardest part of the job was making it there on time after school and trying to catch the bus after work. The most enjoyable part of the job is lunch and the customers, they are nice to talk to.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Long Hours
A typical day at work
Shipper / Receiver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 July 2016
A typical day at work for me would be to give the stores like Tim Hortons their goods and then i would move on to the next store until i finish all the stores and then i would put away any orders that have come in.
I learned that no matter what goes wrong all you have to do is just forget about being upset and try to do your work and solve the problem.
The hardest part of my job is that i am by myself and i have to put away all the skids of food goods and paper goods for every store that comes in.
The enjoyable part of my job is when i finally finish and get my break and laugh and joke with my co-workers at my break, it makes me feel better when i go back to work.
The management is O.K i really can't say anything else about them.
Pros
free food
Cons
No help for me
Not for everyone
Cashier/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 July 2016
Management is lacking, and just an overall horrible experience. I've done 8 hour shifts without any breaks because the manager didn't want to come and help when four employees called in sick the same day, you get zero recognition.
Elementary School
Cook (Former Employee) –  Clarenville, NL27 June 2016
Everyday preparing meals from menu for 700 kids. Time management played a big factor. I enjoyed cooking meals and making the kids happy.
Pros
My Daughters School
Cons
only part time
friendly fun place, great staff
cashier/ general worker (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB7 June 2016
great co-workers
management friendly and supportive
students very friendly
clean establishment
pay reasonable
enjoy meeting students and learning about their studies