Chartwells Employee Reviews

ok
General Kitchen Helper (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 April 2017
ok work place I guess no raises or room to advance I don't really have much more to say on the subject, in 3 years no raise and they weren't very concerned.
Not always a happy place
General Help (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 April 2017
My time spent with Chartwells wasn't the best work experience. It showed me what I didn't want in an employer, and what kind of work environment I didn't want to be in.
Messy Kitchen
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB15 March 2017
They are very unfriendly people to be around, they also leave a mess every night, and take too long to make your meals. They also don't order the supplies needed to get the job done right and ontime.
Cons
Mean People
Is a pretty awesome place to work!!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB10 March 2017
Its a place where I learned how to manage money and I absolutely fell in love with it. So much that I want to break into the banking industry and learn more. The management team taught me to be strong in problem solving, data entry, and customer service from a financial perspective. The hardest part of the job was to keep my emotions from coming into play when I was in training. I will never forget the words they taught me...money has no feelings. LOL!
The most enjoyable part of the job I was doing was counting the money from the different kiosks on the college grounds and doing data entry.
Pros
meals were covered
Cons
some long hours
Great Company
Cashier/General Help (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON3 March 2017
Chartwells Canada is a great company to work for. Unfortunately I injured myself on the job so I no longer work there, but through my injury and recovery process Chartwells worked with me to help me to recover, they made sure I was as comfortable as possible and supported me. I recommend this company :)
Great job if you have kids in school
Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Nova Scotia Lake, NS7 February 2017
It's all about the money, you need to make budget or they are on your case. Don't get paid for storm days, I service days, power outages. Menu is not suited for all areas.
Pros
Same hours as kids in school
Cons
Hours are based on sales
amazing work environment
Lead Hand/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON25 January 2017
Amazing company to work at, motivated employees and great team effort.I started as general help and was promoted to lead hand in no time which taught me immense people skills and improved my management skills.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
far from my house
productive organization
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 December 2016
I was at this job for seven years. I enjoyed this employment experience fully. The location was close to all of the bus routes and easy to get to from home.
Pros
reduced rates for meals
Cons
lack of management
i love what i do i love my residents
PSW (Current Employee) –  Aylmer, ON24 August 2016
i love the line of work how ever hate being short staff every single day or shift when that many people to take care of they deserve to be takin care of right
Productive and fun workplace
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Stoney Creek, ON12 August 2016
Work was long but it's great. I learned how to do cash, clean up, make drinks and sandwiches. The management was great. I worked by myself so I didn't really talk that much to co-workers. The hardest part of the job was making it there on time after school and trying to catch the bus after work. The most enjoyable part of the job is lunch and the customers, they are nice to talk to.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Long Hours
A typical day at work
Shipper / Receiver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 July 2016
A typical day at work for me would be to give the stores like Tim Hortons their goods and then i would move on to the next store until i finish all the stores and then i would put away any orders that have come in.
I learned that no matter what goes wrong all you have to do is just forget about being upset and try to do your work and solve the problem.
The hardest part of my job is that i am by myself and i have to put away all the skids of food goods and paper goods for every store that comes in.
The enjoyable part of my job is when i finally finish and get my break and laugh and joke with my co-workers at my break, it makes me feel better when i go back to work.
The management is O.K i really can't say anything else about them.
Pros
free food
Cons
No help for me
Not for everyone
Cashier/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 July 2016
Management is lacking, and just an overall horrible experience. I've done 8 hour shifts without any breaks because the manager didn't want to come and help when four employees called in sick the same day, you get zero recognition.
Elementary School
Cook (Former Employee) –  Clarenville, NL27 June 2016
Everyday preparing meals from menu for 700 kids. Time management played a big factor. I enjoyed cooking meals and making the kids happy.
Pros
My Daughters School
Cons
only part time
Productive work place
Jr Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Olds, AB2 June 2016
Work starts at 10 , start prep for lunch at 11, then after start prep for dinner at 5.
At this job I did not expand my knowledge at all.
Management is very visible to the workers and to the client.
My co-workers in my opinion are lacking the skills needed to make the work place a success.
The hardest part of my job is having to deal with the lack of fresh ingredients for our menu.
Most enjoyable part is having the conection with the client about the food that we are making that day and the deas that get passed back and forth.
Fun and flexible work place
Cashier/customer Assistance (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK16 May 2016
I enjoyed Working at Chartwels because it was flexible between working and at the same time taking classes. During the winter period, it was really nice because I can be studying at the university while also waiting for my schedule while the staffs are also awesome people to work with.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
Not much Hours
Fast paced, quick learning environment.
COOK (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON10 March 2016
A typical day at work involves preparing meals for 400+ students, preparing orders for catering events and serving students.
I have learned to work fast, effectively while keeping a close attentions to detail and presentation.
The hardest part about this job is the long hours and limited amount of staff.
The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing the students and watching them get excited over the food prepared.
Pros
Meet new people
Great staff
FOOD SERVICE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, On24 July 2015
I worked with Chartwells in various positions for four years and I enjoyed the customer service and the people I worked with above all else.I had great relatioships with all my managers as well but the pay and the chance of further advancement was an issue for me.
Pros
Staff, customers. flexible work hours
Cons
low pay, no advancement oppurtunities
worked well around school hours
General Staff (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 July 2015
this job worked well around school hours and made me want to pursue my schooling as well as find a new job. its a face paced environment which made the shifts go by fast.
Good People and Good Times
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Wolfville, NS4 April 2015
In the six years that I worked for Chartwells I made a lot of friendships with my fellow co-workers as well as with the management staff. I learned a lot about the production of food for great numbers and I also learned a lot about dealing with people.
Pros
Cheap Meals while working
Cons
No advancement or pay-raise.
Great enviroment and team work.
Banquet server (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2015
- Fast pace enviroment, a lot of team work, and all this to provide a great service to customers.

- Organize my day depends of on the drops and event

- Manage my time

- Develope my comunication skills
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Work shift depends on demand

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwells. Our community is ready to answer.