Position Title: Catering / Banquet Chef
Location: University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
Reporting to the Dining Center Food Service Director, the incumbent will plan, direct, and coordinate all aspects of catering events at the University of Calgary / Chartwells, including but not limited to:
-Overseeing all food production necessary for all catering requirements for all Chartwells events at the University of Calgary.
-Manage Ordering requirements, source all necessary ingredients and work closely with the Executive Chef to ensure all product deliveries are guaranteed and all labour and scheduling requirements are met.
-Menu development and costing for all catering including custom creative menu development / execution upon request**Staying on “Food Trends”
-Work with Catering Sales team as a liaison for the client’s needs, interpretation of clients “vision” from preliminary meeting to menu development and execution.
This hands-on position requires DIRECT and continuous interaction with customers and clients
-Focus on “Event” presentation, including set-ups, small wares and décor through direct communication with catering front of house manager and leads.
Recipe to Succeed:
- Directly supervise daily activities of 10 - 15 associates in the Catering (Hot & Cold) Food Service Department.
- Knowledge of the methods, techniques, and practices involved with the preparation and service of food, and sanitation of facilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable local, provincial, and federal laws. Ensure that proper Health and Safety & WCB program are in place and maintained.
- Oversees in the preparation and service of food and beverage items in adherence to company food standards for presentation, sanitation and safety (meeting HACCP guidelines) and portion control.
- Supervise assigned personnel. Build a strong team of associates through effective hiring, associate cross training, coaching, counseling, job descriptions, planning, and assigning work to all associates. Promote efficiency of operation and excellence in food and service through all associates. Lead by example.
- Excellent communication with fellow management, associates, and client to make sure the flow of business is running smoothly. Attend and participate in food service management team meetings.
- Manage associates by addressing complaints, resolving problems, daily follow up, and appraising their performance. Recognize and reward positive work, and disciplinary action for those not following company standards.
- Financial accountability including timely reporting, and all administrative duties.
- Efficient and accurate financial reporting of the food & Labour costs and other areas such as inventory, production records, knowledge and training of Chartwell’s procedures, etc….
- Maintain the highest standards and customer service levels set by the company and the client.
- Follow verbal and written instructions, or seek clarification, when required for work completion.
- Oversee development of new menu items and or new efficient production methods.
- Maintain acceptable inventory and turnover levels as prescribed by Company.
- Ensure daily waste sheets, temperature logs, as well as all other required audits, records, etc…. are performed as required.
- Anything deemed necessary by your Dining Center Director or Regional Director
You have knowledge of the methods, techniques, and practices involved with the preparation and service of food, as well as sanitation of facilities. You have strong interpersonal skills, and are dependable and bondable.
You are self-motivated and creative, have a positive “can-do” attitude, and are not afraid of change.
Must have prior experience in a high volume operations, High end Hotel Style Catering, Large Group Catering, Custom menu Building & execution
Be computer literate (Word and Excel), and have a thorough understanding of basic accounting skills. Past experience in a college/university residence dining program would be an asset.
Indeed - 7 months ago