Chartwell Seniors Housing Reit

Chartwell Seniors Housing Reit Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Bad Management
RN (Former Employee), OakvilleJune 23, 2015
Pros: None
Cons: Horrible working environment
Really bad place to work , Management turn over is high, all the good Management gone. Management are clueless and bullies
Sadly, not a nice work environment at all.
Admin (Former Employee), MississaugaJune 8, 2015
Management clearly needs more training in managing employees and hiring people who are the 'right fit' as opposed to relatives and friends.
Too much gossip and not enough training
Cook/ dietary aide (Former Employee), BurlingtonJune 4, 2015
Pros: Some residents are polite
Cons: Two faced and Gossip is their strongest point
Started working in April was promised full time hours between both positions and in other locations within the company. I had another job that I was holding on to before I was secure enough to work. Two weeks I worked 11 days straight to cover another cook with no overtime pay. Not enough cooks. My very first day the two cooks (Food manager and a male cook) were gossiping and talking about the other cook who was sick. I was told I could quit my other job and work there full time before probation was over. My manager was very passive aggressive never said what was really on her mind to your face but instead behind your back...... Never got trained in the dining room properly so serving the residents was overwhelming because I didn't have a clue what I was doing...... Never got a chance to work at the other retirement homes like promised. Was terminated because I "didn't meet requirements". My manager told me that I was doing fine in the kitchen and dining room. So I was obviously upset because she couldn't tell me what I was doing wrong instead terminated me before the probationary time was up.
unsatisfactory employment
health and wellness manager (Former Employee), torontoJune 1, 2015
Pros: residents
Cons: everything
I worked for a Chartwell Retirement home as the Health and Wellness Manager... The salary pay is low, the benefits suck and the company cares about ONE thing... HOW much MONEY you make off the seniors and HOW to get their MONEY !... They give the GMS all expense paid round trips for a conference every year and the rest of the management team get nothing despite all the long hours they work and all the work they do to make the home sucesfful... Corporate UNDER appreciates the entire team and give us very little recognition for all of our work we do for them.. All corproate wants to do is charge the seniors more money in order for them to live there... I had to tell a family member that we were going to have to add a new service bill for $80 per day to bring their loved one in to the dining room for their meal because they could not wheel themselves to the dining room !

Working as a Health and Wellness manager.. my job was two in one and got paid only 42,000 annually. I was in charge of nursing and environmental services. I had no other registered staff that worked in the building so when i went on holidays.... i was called because there was no other registered staff that worked there... I never got any financial incentive to be on call for 24 hrs 7 days a week .. it was my expectation of my role to be. I worked very long hours and got no recongnition for any of it.. NEVER again would i ever work for chartwell again ! I also helped out the home when they had no GM when she resigned so i not only did my role but also stepped up to the plate and took the role as the GM.. when – more... they hired a new GM... i was provdied with no extra pay.. no thank you card and not even a phone call thanking me from corportate for filling in for 2 months with no GM and also doing my jobs. Again, no appreciation for any of it... If i were you.. dont apply... its not worth it... Especially with the RHRA standards.. you are accountable for a lot in the nursing department and you are provdied with NO support and no help with corporate... all chartwell cares about is their investors and how much money they are going to make !!!!!!! so unless you are a investor... yep.. sure chartwell is a great investment becasue of their greed...but if you are a job seeker... chartwell is not the place to go unless you dont care about moralle.. – less
Horrible place to work, even worse if your a male.
Food Service Manager (Former Employee), MuskokaMay 21, 2015
Pros: HA! no pro's with this company.
Cons: Lack of support from management team and upper management. Very female dominated, good luck in these homes if your a male.
Worked as a Food Service Manager in Muskoka. I had no support from my management team or from upper management.

Ill never forget my last shift, it was very hot in the kitchen and i felt sick, i took a minute to sit down and have a cup of water. The GM walked in and asked me what i was doing…when i told her she said…"well there are dishes to do, maybe stand beside the air conditioner well you do them" no care or willing to ask how i was doing.

Being a Chef, this has to be one of the lowest paying and most demanding jobs iv ever had. i will never work at a Chartwell home again, nor would i ever suggest some one to go work at one.
Horrible place to work....Do NOT do it !!!!!
General Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa/GatineauMay 5, 2015
Pros: Wonderful residents and family members for the most part
Cons: Terrible Upper Management and no support in the position
Worked in management for several years......NO support from Regional Director or Head Office. They take advantage of people who are dedicated to seniors and love what they do by demanding more and more of them until they are unable to succeed in their position. No such thing as RESPECT...that is a bunch of BS. High turnover in all positions. The only reason staff stay is the pay check until they can obtain another position with another company. Always short in management positions and expected to do your job and theirs too. Director never offering to assist just demanding more and more!! Worst job I have ever had....wish I had never applied or accepted a position.
LaSalle Housekeeping
Housekeeper, and Lover of Residents. (Current Employee), LaSalle, ONMarch 17, 2015
Pros: I love my co-workers and of course the people ( residents as we call them), this is their home.
Cons: Gossip from top of management
I've been there now 6 weeks and I've heard nothing but complaints and gossip from EVERY department. I would never put management down, because I know they get crapped on too!
sales - leasing
sales (Former Employee), torontoJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: getting the position
Cons: expressing personal opinions
I have not worked at this residence but it sounds the same as Revera where I did work and was under appreciated. I was in sales, met targets. But as soon as I started to input new ideas - I was escorted out. Upper management any where it seems only see $$$$ signs - they do not care about residence and keeping staff happy.
Ignorant Management !!!!!!!!
Food Services Manager (Former Employee), Burlington, OntarioJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: working with the residence is the high light of life
Cons: incompetent management
The Company only cares about one thing and that's the dollar sign. They have no appreciation for talent and if your in a position of management lower then a general manager then good luck on ever getting a vacation. I worked for this company for 8 years and never was allowed to have a proper vacation. I was over worked and underpaid yet held accountable for the mistakes the general manager did then when i was totally over exhausted they decided to relieve me of my position and hand me a lousy severance pay. So basically a slap in the face and a kick between your legs..
head office is not a good environment
finance (Former Employee), 110 milverton Dr, MississaugaDecember 1, 2014
the company is growing fast; with exception of a few departments, the senior management is under pressure and they make junior staffs life miserable. information is not shared and communication within the teams is weak. promotions are mostly because of family ties, people get fired weekly and less competent people with connections are hired.
chartwell may become a better work place in the future as the leadership team was trying to improve a few things when I left.
Making People's Lives Bitter not Better
Marketing Sales Consultant (Former Employee), ontarioNovember 8, 2014
Pros: benefit package, you will be able to collect employement insurance
Cons: there are a few cons working with this company.
Run as fast as you can in another direction.
This company treats it's Managers like they are yesterdays trash. They pay the lowest salaries in the industry. You are expected to work as many hours as it takes to do the job of three people. They say there is 'corporate support' but offer none when you really need it. There is no process in place to help performance manage Senior staff. The only process they know is the Chartwell hymn. "We have made a bad decision" also known as "Pack Up Your Troubles"
The entire HR process is stuck in the 80's. They have no concept of the damage they cause to the lives of those with whom they are playing God. The really sad part is how much the residents suffer each time Chartwell's Senior Management sings it's mantra.
terrible and unappreciated
RPN (Former Employee), barrieOctober 5, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: underpaid, overworked, underappreciated
I worked there for 6 years, in dietary, housekeeping, psw and then as an RPN. Originally this place inspired me to want to be a nurse however you are overworked and underpaid with lite support from management. They never pay when you stay late and don't appreciate it. In Barrie the nurse is responsible for over 110 residents and medicate 58 - unsafe work practice for a nurse with a license. Its a lawsuit waiting to happen!
great place to work
cook (Former Employee), North Bay OntarioSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: great place to work
I have worked there and I loved every minit of it co worker were fun manger was verynice to work for resedents love it there very good meals and snacks I have nothing but good things to say
Unappreciative and disingenuous
Social Worker (Former Employee), Hamilton, OntarioAugust 27, 2014
Pros: friendly and competent staff
Cons: many insensitive and thoughtless managers
I had high hopes for this company when I joined as a manager. Unfortunately my expectations were soon dashed when I realized I had to hit the ground running with inadequate training. My professional education prepared me to engage, support and assist people, however, my skills were wasted here. Primarily, I was a bed filler and a facilitator of the 20+ documents that the Administrator insisted be filled out by stressed out families on the day of admission. Many of my fellow managers were not only unhelpful but unfriendly unwilling to allow me access to their established network.
The pay was not up to standard and I was provided no sick or vacation days. One of Chartwell's values is "Respect". How is it respecting anyone to prohibit sick days in a seniors residence, a place where a vulnerable population lives ?
Town hall meetings were a joke. Obstensibly, they were designed for the residents to air their concerns. When they did so presenters and managers shot them down making them feel more disgruntled and dejected before they arrived. It was no wonder that when I approached residents to attend many rolled their eyes and declined!
Conversely, I found many staff especially registered staff fantastic; hardworking and kind. They were worked to the bone and like others not appreciated in a meaningful way. A piece of cake once in a while hardly cuts it.
worst place
psw (Former Employee), kingsville, onAugust 7, 2014
Pros: working with some amazing seniors
Cons: too many staff call in sick, lazy full timers, lack of care for residents, residents being mistreated and not being allowed to have their briefs changed because of regulations
Worst place to work. All full time staff are rude, lazy, and expect all newbies to do the work or they make up lies to get you fired.
Food and Beverage Manager is incompetent
used (Current Employee), guelph ontarioMay 15, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: middlemanagement who haven't got a clue but won't listen to those of us who do.
Define incompetency: the Chartwell FSM. OMG!

I have read and continue to see new statements of how dire the situation has been and continues to be at Chartwell and at this place, there doesn't seem that that culture of mismanagement and employee disregard is going to be changing anytime soon.

I have to say, that though I am still employed here (though that will definitely change if they figure out that I wrote this) this employment brings me no joy. I and my coworkers, do not look forward to going into work. When we are there, the mood is dour and unappealing.

The little we have to work with, the confines in which we work, is slowly but surely killing any joy we may once have had working here.

And truly all of this only really started since the new Food Service Manager came on board.

Yes, we (the underlings) know that the budget has to be met, that a profit has to be made, but seriously, at what cost? The ridiculous fare that we have to put out to the residence makes my stomach turn. How is it even a thought, never mind a viable one, that a grilled cheese sandwich with a half a pickle be served as a lunch for someone who pays $3000+/mth?

That by the way, is the typical lunch offering.

If the residence wants a large juice, they should be given a small juice. If they complain, let them wait and hopefully they'll forget that they'd wanted the large. If they still ask, then they can get another small juice.

More and more the food is going the 'heat&serve' route. Why would I want to go to place that advertises that its menu is a carefully considered enterprise, to get Campbell's – more... previously frozen soup with a soggy sandwich for my lunch? And pay in excess of $3000 a month for that privilege?

If none of the above bothers you, and bear in mind that that is just a tiny tiny hint of what it's like working there, then feel free to apply. They are in constant demand of workers.

If you care about the service you give, the food you make, and have a passion for life, don't work here. It's not the place for you. – less
Problem Issues Noticed in the Long Term Care/Retirement Facility Business
not an employee. My spouse is a PSW. (Former Employee), OntarioMay 8, 2014
Pros: rewarding working with the residents and coworkers
Cons: bad attitudes, overlooking staff.
I do not work for this company but after reading the many reviews/comments, & complaints about management and the dollars being squalored, I am going to say that many of these companies are doing the exact same thing throughout our great country.
My spouse also works for a Long term Care/Retirement home, and the company also seems like they charge the big bucks from the residents and the quality of services are slowly dwindling as a result. Gor example, today my spouse told me that the company is complaining that the staff are using tooooo many rubber gloves, breifes, and bed pads. Now staff are being forced into using those cheap Food Service plastic gloves, but the staff are allowed to use the more expensive rubber gloves ONLY IF there's a chance of being exposed to bodily fluids.But this is also being monitored! So, what about the health and safety of the staff? Does their health matter anymore? Food swrvice grade gloves are very porise. Such gloves will allow bacteria and viruses to make direct contact onto the user's skin
Deceases like Hep C and the AIS virus will pass directly through the food handlers glove. It is strange that when staff askes about the management of the dollars, and the best care of the residents; the answers always points the blame on the government rules and how much the government will pay towards the residents' care, there's slways excuses but never any concrete answers. Now what about those residents who pay their own way for the services. The amount charged are typically more than what is charged for a stay at a hospital. Why can't these companies – more... break even, make a profit , or pay their employees more; that is the employees that are not office staff. At my spouse's company, they have made up a large number of office positions for family members of management with higher wages than what the PSWs and Cleaning staff get. Talk about miss management. Plus why is there such personal bad attitude from upper and middle, that is forced onto the other staff.
Well, it seems to be a problem at most of the companies in the Long Term Care and Retirement Institutions. I did however notice that the same complaints and compliments are common. – less
Don't do it
chef (Former Employee), York regionMarch 19, 2014
Pros: good staff if you can keep them
Cons: bad attitude from management
I have experienced this company first hand.all the negative reviews are right on the money.upper management doesn't give a .... about you.they would promote someone inside from general manager who has no personal skills just a knack for cutting costs of the small amount of food they get.they have a cooperate chef who kissed some major.... upstairs to get this position and want to give them soup out of a can.why do they hire chefs we make scratch food not this stuff I couldnt take the balony from management and left.they lost the whole team under a year.
Fun workplace
Receptionist (Pembroke Heritage Manor) (Former Employee), Pembroke, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Staff and residents were happy to be there.
GM was high strung and it showed in everyones performance.
feels like home.
Personal support worker (Current Employee), Gloucester, ONDecember 24, 2013
Pros: learning to be a ucp
Cons: 1 hour drive, not enough shifts to pick up
I have worked for many Retirement homes, never have I been excited to drive to work before I came to Chartwell. Although I live a hour away. I have learned so much from this place, how to give out meds, wound care and the likes. Management is good, I find they listen to your concerns and find away to implement them if they can.

Although this is smaller place compares to other Chartwell homes, there isn't enough shifts to pick up, the hour drive is long even longer in the winter but I wouldn't trade this job in for all the tea in china.