Chartwell Seniors Housing Reit

Chartwell Seniors Housing Reit Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
sales - leasing
sales (Former Employee), torontoJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: getting the position
Cons: expressing personal opinions
I have not worked at this residence but it sounds the same as Revera where I did work and was under appreciated. I was in sales, met targets. But as soon as I started to input new ideas - I was escorted out. Upper management any where it seems only see $$$$ signs - they do not care about residence and keeping staff happy.
Ignorant Management !!!!!!!!
Food Services Manager (Former Employee), Burlington, OntarioJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: working with the residence is the high light of life
Cons: incompetent management
The Company only cares about one thing and that's the dollar sign. They have no appreciation for talent and if your in a position of management lower then a general manager then good luck on ever getting a vacation. I worked for this company for 8 years and never was allowed to have a proper vacation. I was over worked and underpaid yet held accountable for the mistakes the general manager did then when i was totally over exhausted they decided to relieve me of my position and hand me a lousy severance pay. So basically a slap in the face and a kick between your legs..
head office is not a good environment
finance (Former Employee), 110 milverton Dr, MississaugaDecember 1, 2014
the company is growing fast; with exception of a few departments, the senior management is under pressure and they make junior staffs life miserable. information is not shared and communication within the teams is weak. promotions are mostly because of family ties, people get fired weekly and less competent people with connections are hired.
chartwell may become a better work place in the future as the leadership team was trying to improve a few things when I left.
Making People's Lives Bitter not Better
Marketing Sales Consultant (Former Employee), ontarioNovember 8, 2014
Pros: benefit package, you will be able to collect employement insurance
Cons: there are a few cons working with this company.
Run as fast as you can in another direction.
This company treats it's Managers like they are yesterdays trash. They pay the lowest salaries in the industry. You are expected to work as many hours as it takes to do the job of three people. They say there is 'corporate support' but offer none when you really need it. There is no process in place to help performance manage Senior staff. The only process they know is the Chartwell hymn. "We have made a bad decision" also known as "Pack Up Your Troubles"
The entire HR process is stuck in the 80's. They have no concept of the damage they cause to the lives of those with whom they are playing God. The really sad part is how much the residents suffer each time Chartwell's Senior Management sings it's mantra.
terrible and unappreciated
RPN (Former Employee), barrieOctober 5, 2014
Pros: nice co-workers
Cons: underpaid, overworked, underappreciated
I worked there for 6 years, in dietary, housekeeping, psw and then as an RPN. Originally this place inspired me to want to be a nurse however you are overworked and underpaid with lite support from management. They never pay when you stay late and don't appreciate it. In Barrie the nurse is responsible for over 110 residents and medicate 58 - unsafe work practice for a nurse with a license. Its a lawsuit waiting to happen!
great place to work
cook (Former Employee), North Bay OntarioSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: great place to work
I have worked there and I loved every minit of it co worker were fun manger was verynice to work for resedents love it there very good meals and snacks I have nothing but good things to say
Unappreciative and disingenuous
Social Worker (Former Employee), Hamilton, OntarioAugust 27, 2014
Pros: friendly and competent staff
Cons: many insensitive and thoughtless managers
I had high hopes for this company when I joined as a manager. Unfortunately my expectations were soon dashed when I realized I had to hit the ground running with inadequate training. My professional education prepared me to engage, support and assist people, however, my skills were wasted here. Primarily, I was a bed filler and a facilitator of the 20+ documents that the Administrator insisted be filled out by stressed out families on the day of admission. Many of my fellow managers were not only unhelpful but unfriendly unwilling to allow me access to their established network.
The pay was not up to standard and I was provided no sick or vacation days. One of Chartwell's values is "Respect". How is it respecting anyone to prohibit sick days in a seniors residence, a place where a vulnerable population lives ?
Town hall meetings were a joke. Obstensibly, they were designed for the residents to air their concerns. When they did so presenters and managers shot them down making them feel more disgruntled and dejected before they arrived. It was no wonder that when I approached residents to attend many rolled their eyes and declined!
Conversely, I found many staff especially registered staff fantastic; hardworking and kind. They were worked to the bone and like others not appreciated in a meaningful way. A piece of cake once in a while hardly cuts it.
worst place
psw (Former Employee), kingsville, onAugust 7, 2014
Pros: working with some amazing seniors
Cons: too many staff call in sick, lazy full timers, lack of care for residents, residents being mistreated and not being allowed to have their briefs changed because of regulations
Worst place to work. All full time staff are rude, lazy, and expect all newbies to do the work or they make up lies to get you fired.
Food and Beverage Manager is incompetent
used (Current Employee), guelph ontarioMay 15, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: middlemanagement who haven't got a clue but won't listen to those of us who do.
Define incompetency: the Chartwell FSM. OMG!

I have read and continue to see new statements of how dire the situation has been and continues to be at Chartwell and at this place, there doesn't seem that that culture of mismanagement and employee disregard is going to be changing anytime soon.

I have to say, that though I am still employed here (though that will definitely change if they figure out that I wrote this) this employment brings me no joy. I and my coworkers, do not look forward to going into work. When we are there, the mood is dour and unappealing.

The little we have to work with, the confines in which we work, is slowly but surely killing any joy we may once have had working here.

And truly all of this only really started since the new Food Service Manager came on board.

Yes, we (the underlings) know that the budget has to be met, that a profit has to be made, but seriously, at what cost? The ridiculous fare that we have to put out to the residence makes my stomach turn. How is it even a thought, never mind a viable one, that a grilled cheese sandwich with a half a pickle be served as a lunch for someone who pays $3000+/mth?

That by the way, is the typical lunch offering.

If the residence wants a large juice, they should be given a small juice. If they complain, let them wait and hopefully they'll forget that they'd wanted the large. If they still ask, then they can get another small juice.

More and more the food is going the 'heat&serve' route. Why would I want to go to place that advertises that its menu is a carefully considered enterprise, to get Campbell's – more... previously frozen soup with a soggy sandwich for my lunch? And pay in excess of $3000 a month for that privilege?

If none of the above bothers you, and bear in mind that that is just a tiny tiny hint of what it's like working there, then feel free to apply. They are in constant demand of workers.

If you care about the service you give, the food you make, and have a passion for life, don't work here. It's not the place for you. – less
Problem Issues Noticed in the Long Term Care/Retirement Facility Business
not an employee. My spouse is a PSW. (Former Employee), OntarioMay 8, 2014
Pros: rewarding working with the residents and coworkers
Cons: bad attitudes, overlooking staff.
I do not work for this company but after reading the many reviews/comments, & complaints about management and the dollars being squalored, I am going to say that many of these companies are doing the exact same thing throughout our great country.
My spouse also works for a Long term Care/Retirement home, and the company also seems like they charge the big bucks from the residents and the quality of services are slowly dwindling as a result. Gor example, today my spouse told me that the company is complaining that the staff are using tooooo many rubber gloves, breifes, and bed pads. Now staff are being forced into using those cheap Food Service plastic gloves, but the staff are allowed to use the more expensive rubber gloves ONLY IF there's a chance of being exposed to bodily fluids.But this is also being monitored! So, what about the health and safety of the staff? Does their health matter anymore? Food swrvice grade gloves are very porise. Such gloves will allow bacteria and viruses to make direct contact onto the user's skin
Deceases like Hep C and the AIS virus will pass directly through the food handlers glove. It is strange that when staff askes about the management of the dollars, and the best care of the residents; the answers always points the blame on the government rules and how much the government will pay towards the residents' care, there's slways excuses but never any concrete answers. Now what about those residents who pay their own way for the services. The amount charged are typically more than what is charged for a stay at a hospital. Why can't these companies – more... break even, make a profit , or pay their employees more; that is the employees that are not office staff. At my spouse's company, they have made up a large number of office positions for family members of management with higher wages than what the PSWs and Cleaning staff get. Talk about miss management. Plus why is there such personal bad attitude from upper and middle, that is forced onto the other staff.
Well, it seems to be a problem at most of the companies in the Long Term Care and Retirement Institutions. I did however notice that the same complaints and compliments are common. – less
Don't do it
chef (Former Employee), York regionMarch 19, 2014
Pros: good staff if you can keep them
Cons: bad attitude from management
I have experienced this company first hand.all the negative reviews are right on the money.upper management doesn't give a .... about you.they would promote someone inside from general manager who has no personal skills just a knack for cutting costs of the small amount of food they get.they have a cooperate chef who kissed some major.... upstairs to get this position and want to give them soup out of a can.why do they hire chefs we make scratch food not this stuff I couldnt take the balony from management and left.they lost the whole team under a year.
not worth the money they charge
NURSING (Former Employee), MONTREALJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: good residents
Cons: upper management failure
As everyone else explained it is true they stress out their employees to the bone, people nice but management not

any complaint you do is never looked at but brushed off instead people who are at the upper management level should all go bad reputation just a matter of time before this corporation hits national news

you need to agree even if you disagree or you are out the
door

management has changed several times all they care about is the profits it brings not the people they have live there its all nice until it comes to moving in then its downhill from there

i would not recommend for any seniors go elsewhere there are so many others to choose from and go private owned you are treated better
Fun workplace
Receptionist (Pembroke Heritage Manor) (Former Employee), Pembroke, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Staff and residents were happy to be there.
GM was high strung and it showed in everyones performance.
feels like home.
Personal support worker (Current Employee), Gloucester, ONDecember 24, 2013
Pros: learning to be a ucp
Cons: 1 hour drive, not enough shifts to pick up
I have worked for many Retirement homes, never have I been excited to drive to work before I came to Chartwell. Although I live a hour away. I have learned so much from this place, how to give out meds, wound care and the likes. Management is good, I find they listen to your concerns and find away to implement them if they can.

Although this is smaller place compares to other Chartwell homes, there isn't enough shifts to pick up, the hour drive is long even longer in the winter but I wouldn't trade this job in for all the tea in china.
horrible place to work in Windsor at Crawford And Riverside Dr location
Dietary (Former Employee), Windsor, onSeptember 30, 2013
Pros: not much
Cons: bad management
Worked at the Windsor location at Crawford and Riverside dr and I must say Ive never worked short so many times in my employment there.
A typical day coming into work will be dealing with the food service manager who will ask you to do jobs of employees that she favours so they don't have to do the job...coming in and being short was a typical day, I don't know about you but 2 ladies and 1 lazy cook serving 95 people,coffee,salad,soup(even in winter)dinner AND dessert in under 1hr is crazy, stressful to say the least.

I learned I NEVER want to work for Chartwell again.
Management... what management? im sure there is someone out there who can do a better job then what the food service manager provides at this location.

co-workers were hard working been there from 5-15yrs and stick around because of the Union/pay/seniority etc.. but a lot of the time all I heard was complaining from them about how bad it is being short, how the manager never books in people for whoever goes on vacation that week etc...

Hardest part of the job was dealing with management!

most enjoyable part was when we were fully staffed and a smooth night of serving dinner and when everyone did their job!!!!!
Making People Lives Better is our Mission at Chartwell
Generalist, Labour Relations (Current Employee), Mississauga, OntarioMay 19, 2013
Chartwell provides the best in senior care! The employees work very hard to ensure that the residents are happy in their homes and enjoy the lives to the fullest.

June 3, 2013

your from management ! you have never worked in the dining room serving , cooking, washing, distributing medications for the residents. Yes us Chartwell employees psw's cooks dietary aids are overworked! We the employees ensure the happiness of the residence even though the verbal diarrhea many of us mere employees have to deal with is coming from management . Terrible company i have ever worked for and fyi i am a highly skilled, qualified,and educated individual and have been employed by very well known cooperation in my field and i am gobsmacked at Chartwell Reit treatment of employees.

Great place to work and for career development
Corporate Office Employee (Current Employee), Corporate Office EmployeeMarch 14, 2013
Chartwell is a great company to work for that truly demonstrates the Corporate Values of Respect. I have worked at several other retirement companies in the past and comparatively Chartwell hands down delivers on being a Corporate Employer of choice. People make choices to work where they want to work and develop how they would like to develop, From my experiences within Chartwell I have a sense of belonging that I am doing something that motivates me to my next career choice. I see and have personally experienced career development which continues to offer me challenge in my job. I recommend and will continue to recommend Chartwell to past colleagues and friends as a choice employer within the indsutry. I would never recommend something I do not believe is a great fit. Thanks to the entire Chartwell Team.
Worst place I have ever experienced!
Marketing (Former Employee), TorontoJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: some good front line staff
Cons: too many to list, if you want you confidence and self esteem ripped to shreds this is the place to go!
This company's mandate has a set of core values! They are just a bunch of words that cover kissing butt! Not doing their job getting rich off the backs of seniors who have worked hard all their lives for what they have. Imagine working all your life and then needing to go to a place that provides meals. (Cut rate cost meals) every one complains about the meals all the time. They have really good chefs but the slop they have to produce is ridiculous. Snacks are cookies cause they are cheap. Pudding at every meal for dessert. Head office requests changes yet no money given to do so. Each home gives the income to head office and they get a strip end to run it. If the home isn't full. Well then the marketing manager isn't doing enough and they get in trouble. Oh wait if you are a nurse they don't respect that position. Whatever the client wants is what goes even If its against doctors orders. Threaten to leave because they don't get their own way. See ya nurse! Staff are there to make head office look good! If you ask pertinent questions
See ya! Revolving door for management! With no thought to how the changes effect the client. They just don't care about them!
There motto should be "expertise in ripping off the seniors"
Any one who tries to make a difference is let go because they don't fit in with the party lifestyle.

March 1, 2013

worked for chartwell riet home as dietary aid even though certified cook. All the homes are run the same way and yup the residences DON'T COME FIRST head office does. Food, i feed my dog a better meal than what those seniors whom many fought for our country and sacrificed many years of hard earned money to enjoy their Golden years as for meals that are just not attractive appetizing or tasty. Management are too busy trying to impress head office that's when the good cheese and pretty cookies come out. Makes me sick to my stomach. Just pitiful these people don't care about anything or anyone just numbers $

Volunteer
Recreational Aide- Volunteer (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 25, 2013
Staff was really friendly, and willing to help or answer any inquiries.
Gave me the opportunity to be able to make quick decisions and be independent.
horrible place indeed
The forgotten (Former Employee), MississaugaJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: nice views from the upper floors to remind you not all is bad out there
Cons: everything else
This place DOES have extremely high turnover.
They pay poorly.
They do not adequately train
They expect overtime constantly due to lack of staffing
The environment isn't fun unless you're an executive
There is no support from management whatsoever. Slave driver mentality.
They have an IT department worked into the ground with 3 people supporting 2000+ devices nationally that turns over employees every 3 months.
Back stabbing is the norm due to disdain. Smiles on faces from those that dislike you

Enjoy working here. It'll lead you nowhere but down and out.

About Chartwell Seniors Housing Reit

Chartwell Retirement Residences is a real estate investment trust in Canada that was founded in 2003. It operates seniors housing – Read more