Chartwell Seniors Housing Reit

Chartwell Seniors Housing Reit Employee Reviews

Problem Issues Noticed in the Long Term Care/Retirement Facility Business
not an employee. My spouse is a PSW. (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 8, 2014
I do not work for this company but after reading the many reviews/comments, & complaints about management and the dollars being squalored, I am going to say that many of these companies are doing the exact same thing throughout our great country.
My spouse also works for a Long term Care/Retirement home, and the company also seems like they charge the big bucks from the residents and the quality of services are slowly dwindling as a result. Gor example, today my spouse told me that the company is complaining that the staff are using tooooo many rubber gloves, breifes, and bed pads. Now staff are being forced into using those cheap Food Service plastic gloves, but the staff are allowed to use the more expensive rubber gloves ONLY IF there's a chance of being exposed to bodily fluids.But this is also being monitored! So, what about the health and safety of the staff? Does their health matter anymore? Food swrvice grade gloves are very porise. Such gloves will allow bacteria and viruses to make direct contact onto the user's skin
Deceases like Hep C and the AIS virus will pass directly through the food handlers glove. It is strange that when staff askes about the management of the dollars, and the best care of the residents; the answers always points the blame on the government rules and how much the government will pay towards the residents' care, there's slways excuses but never any concrete answers. Now what about those residents who pay their own way for the services. The amount charged are typically more than what is charged for a stay at a hospital. Why can't these companies
  more... break even, make a profit , or pay their employees more; that is the employees that are not office staff. At my spouse's company, they have made up a large number of office positions for family members of management with higher wages than what the PSWs and Cleaning staff get. Talk about miss management. Plus why is there such personal bad attitude from upper and middle, that is forced onto the other staff.
Well, it seems to be a problem at most of the companies in the Long Term Care and Retirement Institutions. I did however notice that the same complaints and compliments are common.
Pros
rewarding working with the residents and coworkers
Cons
bad attitudes, overlooking staff.
unsatisfactory employment
health and wellness manager (Former Employee) –  torontoJune 1, 2015
I worked for a Chartwell Retirement home as the Health and Wellness Manager... The salary pay is low, the benefits suck and the company cares about ONE thing... HOW much MONEY you make off the seniors and HOW to get their MONEY !... They give the GMS all expense paid round trips for a conference every year and the rest of the management team get nothing despite all the long hours they work and all the work they do to make the home sucesfful... Corporate UNDER appreciates the entire team and give us very little recognition for all of our work we do for them.. All corproate wants to do is charge the seniors more money in order for them to live there... I had to tell a family member that we were going to have to add a new service bill for $80 per day to bring their loved one in to the dining room for their meal because they could not wheel themselves to the dining room !

Working as a Health and Wellness manager.. my job was two in one and got paid only 42,000 annually. I was in charge of nursing and environmental services. I had no other registered staff that worked in the building so when i went on holidays.... i was called because there was no other registered staff that worked there... I never got any financial incentive to be on call for 24 hrs 7 days a week .. it was my expectation of my role to be. I worked very long hours and got no recongnition for any of it.. NEVER again would i ever work for chartwell again ! I also helped out the home when they had no GM when she resigned so i not only did my role but also stepped up to the plate and took the role as the GM.. when
  more... they hired a new GM... i was provdied with no extra pay.. no thank you card and not even a phone call thanking me from corportate for filling in for 2 months with no GM and also doing my jobs. Again, no appreciation for any of it... If i were you.. dont apply... its not worth it... Especially with the RHRA standards.. you are accountable for a lot in the nursing department and you are provdied with NO support and no help with corporate... all chartwell cares about is their investors and how much money they are going to make !!!!!!! so unless you are a investor... yep.. sure chartwell is a great investment becasue of their greed...but if you are a job seeker... chartwell is not the place to go unless you dont care about moralle..  less
Pros
residents
Cons
everything
Food and Beverage Manager is incompetent
used (Current Employee) –  guelph ontarioMay 15, 2014
Define incompetency: the Chartwell FSM. OMG!

I have read and continue to see new statements of how dire the situation has been and continues to be at Chartwell and at this place, there doesn't seem that that culture of mismanagement and employee disregard is going to be changing anytime soon.

I have to say, that though I am still employed here (though that will definitely change if they figure out that I wrote this) this employment brings me no joy. I and my coworkers, do not look forward to going into work. When we are there, the mood is dour and unappealing.

The little we have to work with, the confines in which we work, is slowly but surely killing any joy we may once have had working here.

And truly all of this only really started since the new Food Service Manager came on board.

Yes, we (the underlings) know that the budget has to be met, that a profit has to be made, but seriously, at what cost? The ridiculous fare that we have to put out to the residence makes my stomach turn. How is it even a thought, never mind a viable one, that a grilled cheese sandwich with a half a pickle be served as a lunch for someone who pays $3000+/mth?

That by the way, is the typical lunch offering.

If the residence wants a large juice, they should be given a small juice. If they complain, let them wait and hopefully they'll forget that they'd wanted the large. If they still ask, then they can get another small juice.

More and more the food is going the 'heat&serve' route. Why would I want to go to place that advertises that its menu is a carefully considered enterprise, to get Campbell's
  more... previously frozen soup with a soggy sandwich for my lunch? And pay in excess of $3000 a month for that privilege?

If none of the above bothers you, and bear in mind that that is just a tiny tiny hint of what it's like working there, then feel free to apply. They are in constant demand of workers.

If you care about the service you give, the food you make, and have a passion for life, don't work here. It's not the place for you.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
middlemanagement who haven't got a clue but won't listen to those of us who do.
Unappreciative and disingenuous
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OntarioAugust 27, 2014
I had high hopes for this company when I joined as a manager. Unfortunately my expectations were soon dashed when I realized I had to hit the ground running with inadequate training. My professional education prepared me to engage, support and assist people, however, my skills were wasted here. Primarily, I was a bed filler and a facilitator of the 20+ documents that the Administrator insisted be filled out by stressed out families on the day of admission. Many of my fellow managers were not only unhelpful but unfriendly unwilling to allow me access to their established network.
The pay was not up to standard and I was provided no sick or vacation days. One of Chartwell's values is "Respect". How is it respecting anyone to prohibit sick days in a seniors residence, a place where a vulnerable population lives ?
Town hall meetings were a joke. Obstensibly, they were designed for the residents to air their concerns. When they did so presenters and managers shot them down making them feel more disgruntled and dejected before they arrived. It was no wonder that when I approached residents to attend many rolled their eyes and declined!
Conversely, I found many staff especially registered staff fantastic; hardworking and kind. They were worked to the bone and like others not appreciated in a meaningful way. A piece of cake once in a while hardly cuts it.
Pros
friendly and competent staff
Cons
many insensitive and thoughtless managers
Worst place I have ever experienced!
Marketing (Former Employee) –  TorontoJanuary 29, 2013
This company's mandate has a set of core values! They are just a bunch of words that cover kissing butt! Not doing their job getting rich off the backs of seniors who have worked hard all their lives for what they have. Imagine working all your life and then needing to go to a place that provides meals. (Cut rate cost meals) every one complains about the meals all the time. They have really good chefs but the slop they have to produce is ridiculous. Snacks are cookies cause they are cheap. Pudding at every meal for dessert. Head office requests changes yet no money given to do so. Each home gives the income to head office and they get a strip end to run it. If the home isn't full. Well then the marketing manager isn't doing enough and they get in trouble. Oh wait if you are a nurse they don't respect that position. Whatever the client wants is what goes even If its against doctors orders. Threaten to leave because they don't get their own way. See ya nurse! Staff are there to make head office look good! If you ask pertinent questions
See ya! Revolving door for management! With no thought to how the changes effect the client. They just don't care about them!
There motto should be "expertise in ripping off the seniors"
Any one who tries to make a difference is let go because they don't fit in with the party lifestyle.
Pros
some good front line staff
Cons
too many to list, if you want you confidence and self esteem ripped to shreds this is the place to go!

Comment – March 1, 2013

worked for chartwell riet home as dietary aid even though certified cook. All the homes are run the same way and yup the residences DON'T COME FIRST head office does. Food, i feed my dog a better meal than what those seniors whom many fought for our country and sacrificed many years of hard earned money to enjoy their Golden years as for meals that are just not attractive appetizing or tasty. Management are too busy trying to impress head office that's when the good cheese and pretty cookies come out. Makes me sick to my stomach. Just pitiful these people don't care about anything or anyone just numbers $

horrible place to work in Windsor at Crawford And Riverside Dr location
Dietary (Former Employee) –  Windsor, onSeptember 30, 2013
Worked at the Windsor location at Crawford and Riverside dr and I must say Ive never worked short so many times in my employment there.
A typical day coming into work will be dealing with the food service manager who will ask you to do jobs of employees that she favours so they don't have to do the job...coming in and being short was a typical day, I don't know about you but 2 ladies and 1 lazy cook serving 95 people,coffee,salad,soup(even in winter)dinner AND dessert in under 1hr is crazy, stressful to say the least.

I learned I NEVER want to work for Chartwell again.
Management... what management? im sure there is someone out there who can do a better job then what the food service manager provides at this location.

co-workers were hard working been there from 5-15yrs and stick around because of the Union/pay/seniority etc.. but a lot of the time all I heard was complaining from them about how bad it is being short, how the manager never books in people for whoever goes on vacation that week etc...

Hardest part of the job was dealing with management!

most enjoyable part was when we were fully staffed and a smooth night of serving dinner and when everyone did their job!!!!!
Pros
not much
Cons
bad management
Horrible place to work
Happy to be an Ex employee (Former Employee) –  Region 1January 8, 2013
The upper management gives little to no support to the homes. The only thing they worry about is money. If the home doesn't have full occupancy they berate the middle managers. If you question the way things are being done they walk you out the door. Constantly letting management go. No training they want you to know it all. You make a mistake they let you go. The managers and front line staff are poorly paid and they have a very rapid turn over of staff they want high quality staff but refuse to pay them. On training for general managers they go to week long seminars and eat at expensive restaurants and head office foots the bill. No questions asked but come staff appreciation they have no money. They work front line staff to the ground and no thanks. Take a look at their website and you will see constant need for staff. They don't care about the residents that pay to be there instead see them as their meal ticket. Disgusted with the way they treat people. They DO NOT honor their core value of RESPECT.
Worked there six months and watched 3 managers be walked off the job!
Pros
the front line workers who genuinely care for the resident
Cons
rude upper management that lord their position over people

Comment – January 12, 2013

this company views their residence as a $ sign. They serve the worst food,Slop just put together no love or passion for any meals including Christmas dinner which i witnessed myself burned no taste but its ok the made double time that's all he was concerned with..I always went out of my way and made from scratch meals. their main concern is to impress upper-management. My God help you if you are certified and highly educated and have a voice they will decimate you. they love brown nosers and two face back stabbers something they are familiar themselves.. They need to be concerned on not how to get residence in but how to get them to stay. Was there over a year felt like i was incarcerated.. I work a t an "INTERDEPENDENT" living home. Well they took anyone who still had a pulse. Some of the poor residence needed special assistance and expected us the staff to help them physically and with their dinners we are not certified or trained in the medical field I am a cook. Touching them the wrong way can hurt them and we personally are liable and can be sued and this is what they wanted or we would be terminated on the grounds of neglect.. The very worst place i would never send my love ones there to live out their golden last years. It is shameful on Chartwells part, I am so happy i am gone but sad for the residence i just loved the residence and their kindness towards me I miss that. Really really think of going here whether working or a loved one living here

Too much gossip and not enough training
Cook/ dietary aide (Former Employee) –  BurlingtonJune 4, 2015
Started working in April was promised full time hours between both positions and in other locations within the company. I had another job that I was holding on to before I was secure enough to work. Two weeks I worked 11 days straight to cover another cook with no overtime pay. Not enough cooks. My very first day the two cooks (Food manager and a male cook) were gossiping and talking about the other cook who was sick. I was told I could quit my other job and work there full time before probation was over. My manager was very passive aggressive never said what was really on her mind to your face but instead behind your back...... Never got trained in the dining room properly so serving the residents was overwhelming because I didn't have a clue what I was doing...... Never got a chance to work at the other retirement homes like promised. Was terminated because I "didn't meet requirements". My manager told me that I was doing fine in the kitchen and dining room. So I was obviously upset because she couldn't tell me what I was doing wrong instead terminated me before the probationary time was up.
Pros
Some residents are polite
Cons
Two faced and Gossip is their strongest point
Making People's Lives Bitter not Better
Marketing Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  ontarioNovember 8, 2014
Run as fast as you can in another direction.
This company treats it's Managers like they are yesterdays trash. They pay the lowest salaries in the industry. You are expected to work as many hours as it takes to do the job of three people. They say there is 'corporate support' but offer none when you really need it. There is no process in place to help performance manage Senior staff. The only process they know is the Chartwell hymn. "We have made a bad decision" also known as "Pack Up Your Troubles"
The entire HR process is stuck in the 80's. They have no concept of the damage they cause to the lives of those with whom they are playing God. The really sad part is how much the residents suffer each time Chartwell's Senior Management sings it's mantra.
Pros
benefit package, you will be able to collect employement insurance
Cons
there are a few cons working with this company.
Great place to work and for career development
Corporate Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Corporate Office EmployeeMarch 14, 2013
Chartwell is a great company to work for that truly demonstrates the Corporate Values of Respect. I have worked at several other retirement companies in the past and comparatively Chartwell hands down delivers on being a Corporate Employer of choice. People make choices to work where they want to work and develop how they would like to develop, From my experiences within Chartwell I have a sense of belonging that I am doing something that motivates me to my next career choice. I see and have personally experienced career development which continues to offer me challenge in my job. I recommend and will continue to recommend Chartwell to past colleagues and friends as a choice employer within the indsutry. I would never recommend something I do not believe is a great fit. Thanks to the entire Chartwell Team.
Horrible place to work....Do NOT do it !!!!!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa/GatineauMay 5, 2015
Worked in management for several years......NO support from Regional Director or Head Office. They take advantage of people who are dedicated to seniors and love what they do by demanding more and more of them until they are unable to succeed in their position. No such thing as RESPECT...that is a bunch of BS. High turnover in all positions. The only reason staff stay is the pay check until they can obtain another position with another company. Always short in management positions and expected to do your job and theirs too. Director never offering to assist just demanding more and more!! Worst job I have ever had....wish I had never applied or accepted a position.
Pros
Wonderful residents and family members for the most part
Cons
Terrible Upper Management and no support in the position
Horrible place to work, even worse if your a male.
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  MuskokaMay 21, 2015
Worked as a Food Service Manager in Muskoka. I had no support from my management team or from upper management.

Ill never forget my last shift, it was very hot in the kitchen and i felt sick, i took a minute to sit down and have a cup of water. The GM walked in and asked me what i was doing…when i told her she said…"well there are dishes to do, maybe stand beside the air conditioner well you do them" no care or willing to ask how i was doing.

Being a Chef, this has to be one of the lowest paying and most demanding jobs iv ever had. i will never work at a Chartwell home again, nor would i ever suggest some one to go work at one.
Pros
HA! no pro's with this company.
Cons
Lack of support from management team and upper management. Very female dominated, good luck in these homes if your a male.
not worth the money they charge
NURSING (Former Employee) –  MONTREALJanuary 24, 2014
As everyone else explained it is true they stress out their employees to the bone, people nice but management not

any complaint you do is never looked at but brushed off instead people who are at the upper management level should all go bad reputation just a matter of time before this corporation hits national news

you need to agree even if you disagree or you are out the
door

management has changed several times all they care about is the profits it brings not the people they have live there its all nice until it comes to moving in then its downhill from there

i would not recommend for any seniors go elsewhere there are so many others to choose from and go private owned you are treated better
Pros
good residents
Cons
upper management failure
Ignorant Management !!!!!!!!
Food Services Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, OntarioJanuary 3, 2015
The Company only cares about one thing and that's the dollar sign. They have no appreciation for talent and if your in a position of management lower then a general manager then good luck on ever getting a vacation. I worked for this company for 8 years and never was allowed to have a proper vacation. I was over worked and underpaid yet held accountable for the mistakes the general manager did then when i was totally over exhausted they decided to relieve me of my position and hand me a lousy severance pay. So basically a slap in the face and a kick between your legs..
Pros
working with the residence is the high light of life
Cons
incompetent management
horrible place indeed
The forgotten (Former Employee) –  MississaugaJanuary 19, 2013
This place DOES have extremely high turnover.
They pay poorly.
They do not adequately train
They expect overtime constantly due to lack of staffing
The environment isn't fun unless you're an executive
There is no support from management whatsoever. Slave driver mentality.
They have an IT department worked into the ground with 3 people supporting 2000+ devices nationally that turns over employees every 3 months.
Back stabbing is the norm due to disdain. Smiles on faces from those that dislike you

Enjoy working here. It'll lead you nowhere but down and out.
Pros
nice views from the upper floors to remind you not all is bad out there
Cons
everything else
Don't do it
chef (Former Employee) –  York regionMarch 19, 2014
I have experienced this company first hand.all the negative reviews are right on the money.upper management doesn't give a .... about you.they would promote someone inside from general manager who has no personal skills just a knack for cutting costs of the small amount of food they get.they have a cooperate chef who kissed some major.... upstairs to get this position and want to give them soup out of a can.why do they hire chefs we make scratch food not this stuff I couldnt take the balony from management and left.they lost the whole team under a year.
Pros
good staff if you can keep them
Cons
bad attitude from management
feels like home.
Personal support worker (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, ONDecember 24, 2013
I have worked for many Retirement homes, never have I been excited to drive to work before I came to Chartwell. Although I live a hour away. I have learned so much from this place, how to give out meds, wound care and the likes. Management is good, I find they listen to your concerns and find away to implement them if they can.

Although this is smaller place compares to other Chartwell homes, there isn't enough shifts to pick up, the hour drive is long even longer in the winter but I wouldn't trade this job in for all the tea in china.
Pros
learning to be a ucp
Cons
1 hour drive, not enough shifts to pick up
head office is not a good environment
finance (Former Employee) –  110 milverton Dr, MississaugaDecember 1, 2014
the company is growing fast; with exception of a few departments, the senior management is under pressure and they make junior staffs life miserable. information is not shared and communication within the teams is weak. promotions are mostly because of family ties, people get fired weekly and less competent people with connections are hired.
chartwell may become a better work place in the future as the leadership team was trying to improve a few things when I left.
terrible and unappreciated
RPN (Former Employee) –  barrieOctober 5, 2014
I worked there for 6 years, in dietary, housekeeping, psw and then as an RPN. Originally this place inspired me to want to be a nurse however you are overworked and underpaid with lite support from management. They never pay when you stay late and don't appreciate it. In Barrie the nurse is responsible for over 110 residents and medicate 58 - unsafe work practice for a nurse with a license. Its a lawsuit waiting to happen!
Pros
nice co-workers
Cons
underpaid, overworked, underappreciated
Chartwell is a great place to work!
Director (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 11, 2013
Like any rapid growing company, they experience bumps along the way however they are openly embrace new ideas and strive to learn how they can do things better. Their RESPECT values are embedded into their everyday routines and we all know our end goal is to be the best for our residents. I refer many in my professional network to apply at Chartwell because I do truly believe they will find a rewarding career here.

Comment – June 15, 2013

Interesting that the last three positive comments have come from head office employees. They must have sent out a site-wide email offering bonuses to increase their rating/reviews on Indeed. Only butt-kissers need apply. Give yourselves a reality check...you have no right to review this company unless it is your job they are trying to fill...and most of the jobs they are constantly recruiting for are FRONT LINE WORKERS! They are the ones that are constantly in and out the revolving door and there is most certainly a reason for that. Perhaps some of the HQ staff should be cross-trained at the home level. I suspect their reviews would not be so flattering then...of course they may not be there long enough to leave a review. Feel free to leave a pleasant review when you see a HQ posting for another Director or HR Generalist position that has to warm a chair all day or answer a phone...Otherwise...Zip it!

2.1