Chartwell Retirement Residences

Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

Negative throw you under the bus type of environment
worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2016
A negative work place filled with empty promises. To list a few things they do is throw their workers in the line of angry residents to receive the negativity. 2. make empty promises to fix needed broken equipment so tasks cant be done properly without it. 3. when things go wrong General managers are quick to blame lower workers as if its them who run the residences into the ground. 4. Give out temp contracts with the promise of perminate positions when the job becomes available knowing they have no intention on doing so as a residence is a money making machine not a home care facility. this is a short list of many and isnt worth the time of working such a place.
Terrible
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ONAugust 9, 2016
Terrible management! The management is very disconnected from the staff. Very impersonable. Doesnt try to build a good rapport and relationship with the team.

Also, even when teamwork is stressed management doesnt like it when RPNs and PSWs talk to each other. Wellness is only for RPNs and if a PSW is there even very briefly its looked at like theyre "socializing" as if thats a bad thing. God forbid the staff become friends with each other.
Pros
The residents
kamloops chartwell
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCSeptember 22, 2016
RN is not good came in and made changes that did not need to be done she got rid of some of Our best staff that had been here for years!! Suprise suprise GM dose not stick by what what was discussed according to schedules she totally mess up on our lay offs so we got layed off twice in one month just very Un organized staff here are not happy sure if we all could find new jobs we would!!! we were happy up till March of this year then it all went to heck don't recommend working here only thing that's good is the residents and there family's witch a lot of them do not like that it has changed from a nice feeling home to walking threw front doors and it feeling like a buiessness its really to bad......
Pros
Care aide staff care about the residents and there wellbeing
Cons
Shifts, RN, GM
Don't work at Chartwell Cedarbrooke Retirement Residence
Slave (Current Employee) –  Mission, BCJuly 8, 2016
This place is a mess, management only cares about business and bringing in money. They couldn't care less about their staff or even their residents. The fact that they are oblivious as to why the turn over rate is so bad just proves how poor the management and support is here.

Save yourself the mental and physical stress and do not bother working here. Nothing like working for nothing and getting no thanks while you're at it.

If there was a scale for gossip, this place would top every other place!
Pros
There's really no pros. Aside from making it home alive after your shift
Cons
Hah
Wonderful place to work at
PSW (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 6, 2016
All the staff and management are wonderful, and will stop and answer any questions or dilemma that arises. The hours are great the co-workers are very friendly, and the residents are the best part of working for the company Chartwell. for those that trash Chartwell not all locations are run by the same management so don't read something and assume that all Chartwell buildings are like that, because they are not each one is very different than the next one, different management, staff and residents. Chartwell goes through a lengthy process in hiring people so not just anyone can have the awesome experience for working for a Chartwell home.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
Chartwell was a great place to work!
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, ONJune 1, 2016
I was present at chartwell during the summer and I found it to be a wonderful place to work. The co-workers were lovely and the patients were even more so. Their orientation schedule was great and made me feel prepared to work there on any shift that I was scheduled.
In the morning we would get the residents up and ready for breakfast, assist them with their activities of daily living and then we would put on activities for the residents to par take in throughout the day. I really enjoyed the relationships that I was able to for with the residents that i was giving care to.
Salary not enough
PSW (Current Employee) –  OntarioJune 1, 2016
Happy to work with the staffs and for the residents but the wage is so low compare to all the tasks that you need to do.

Its not worth your time and effort having a wage of $11.88/hour plus all the works that you need to do (Meeting resident's needs, Laundries, Maintenance abilities, Bring foods to the residents, Short staff)
Pros
Working for the Residents
Cons
Low wage, always short staff
Strong in the marketplace
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  OrleansJune 23, 2016
Well established company with many benefits.Publicly traded on the TSX. Retirement Residences across Canada

Head office is located in Mississauga, ON. Solid reputation and respected in the industry
Pros
Solid work environment
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
Run far far away from this place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 28, 2016
The chartwell Riverside location is not the best place to work. When the boss expects too much in too short of a time, you feel stressed out. It also doesn't help when they play favourites, and your coworkers snitch on you for the littlest things(but pretend to be your friend)

The managers do almost nothing, when they see you they dont smile, they only smile and interact with their triends. It's a negative environment.

All in all I would never work at a chartwell location ever again. Stay away from this particular location.
Pros
Friendly residents
Cons
Boss plays favourites, management does little, incorrect paycheques
Great company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaMarch 1, 2016
Have worked in the retirement Industry for 15 yrs. Chartwell is a great company.
The senior exec team is transparent, connected and committed and the regional support team is knowledgable, available and supportive.
I have found nothing but support with respect to any sound business case or proposal I have brought forward.
Managers of mine are regularly commended by various senior managers in the company.
We all work hard and are expected to be accountable as we should be.
Pros
Supportive and collaborative team at all levels
Great people, bad management
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 14, 2016
I worked at a chartwell home for around 2 years, and over all it was a good experience at the beginning. Although it was very difficult, I really learned how to manage stress, and to work at a quick pase. My co workers and managers were great, and very helpful. My managers were very accommodating, and were concerned about my welbeing on a personal level. All was good, until management on the corporate level made changes. Without regard or knowledge of how the kitchen/dining room worked, they made a bunch of changes that made work impossible. It through everything off, and even had negative consequences on the residents, which lead to many leaving. To my knowledge corporate continues to screw up the functioning of the workplace, and from what I hear it's very, very stressful.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Bad corporate management
Great onsite managers. Terrible regional manager
General Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioFebruary 19, 2016
Good company. Benefits are average within industry. But too big. The middle managers within corporate office are very self absorbed and too worried about their job security to do their job. HORRIBLE SUPPORT. Clicks everywhere. Bullies in HR where they should be protective.
Pros
Great residents. Deticated Managment staff on site
Cons
Horrible director of operations, very punitive, terrible support from corporate office
Terrible Company
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Martha's LandingFebruary 18, 2016
I wouldn't work for this company if my life depended on it.. They are the Worst business I've ever encountered.. Your talents and expertise you bring to them means nothing to them because their General Managers have favorite employees that they protect like they are their children.. Plus their pay is terrible and you won't get anywhere with this company other then lied too and stabbed in the back..
Pros
Working to serve the elderly
Cons
Working for Chartwell..
Horrible work place
Chef (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 14, 2016
Went through 3 GM's, will short staff you at the drop of the dime the all mighty dollar means more than the staff or the residences to this company and they will through any lower staff under the buss to save their job. Cut staff in housekeeping and kitchen and expect remaining employees to cover the extra work and some, extremely stressful.
Pros
no late nights
Cons
expected to give one hour or more a day to company for free
amazing place to work at
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2016
I love working at Regina Gardens, its such an amazing experience and the staff and management are great. The residents are all amazing.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
a lot of work for not much money
Bad place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 6, 2016
This building has the worst reputation in Victoria bc turnover is height in management and employees I feel very sorry for resident
Pros
No Pros
Cons
To many to mansion
A downer!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJune 9, 2016
The GM is not up to par. Belittles people and makes them feel stupid! The drama that goes on is unreal. Needs a lot of improvement!!!
Pros
Nice residents
Cons
The GM!
*********
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONApril 30, 2016
I found them very unorganized, didnt know too much on what they were doing, I ll never work for chartwell again! Very rude people and very female orentied. If your a male watch out u wont last long
Not the best place to work!
Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Managers don’t always have the leadership skills to effectively manage their team. Undue pleasure is placed on staff. Staffs are frequently required to work overtime including weekends with no compensation
Pros
The Social Committee hosts various activities throughout the year
Cons
Lots of overtime with no compensation
Never work here or send your love ones to live here!
Student (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMarch 15, 2016
I have never written a review about any company or person but I feel everyone out there should be aware of this place.

I'm a student doing my practicum with Chartwell and the management staff at this location is the worst I have ever had to deal with! They will insult you for spit, they will tell you, your not doing something right and then not explain why or how you can fix it. They have their favorite people and no one else matters. They talk about everyone behind their backs, including volunteers, they charge the residents so much money, but spend most of the time doing nothing or pretending to do stuff when they really are doing nothing and so much more.

I pay to learn and I do not feel that this site should be allowed to take in students and teach them. The Care staff and nurses are really good, but not treated fairly by management. The residents are so kind and wonderful and deserve so much better. I will never work for this location and strongly suggest that you do not either.
Pros
None - Stay away
Cons
Working for them

2.3