Chartwell Retirement Residences

Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews in Canada

Great onsite managers. Terrible regional manager
General Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioFebruary 19, 2016
Good company. Benefits are average within industry. But too big. The middle managers within corporate office are very self absorbed and too worried about their job security to do their job. HORRIBLE SUPPORT. Clicks everywhere. Bullies in HR where they should be protective.
Pros
Great residents. Deticated Managment staff on site
Cons
Horrible director of operations, very punitive, terrible support from corporate office
Great people, bad management
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 14, 2016
I worked at a chartwell home for around 2 years, and over all it was a good experience at the beginning. Although it was very difficult, I really learned how to manage stress, and to work at a quick pase. My co workers and managers were great, and very helpful. My managers were very accommodating, and were concerned about my welbeing on a personal level. All was good, until management on the corporate level made changes. Without regard or knowledge of how the kitchen/dining room worked, they made a bunch of changes that made work impossible. It through everything off, and even had negative consequences on the residents, which lead to many leaving. To my knowledge corporate continues to screw up the functioning of the workplace, and from what I hear it's very, very stressful.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Bad corporate management
Run far far away from this place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 28, 2016
The chartwell Riverside location is not the best place to work. When the boss expects too much in too short of a time, you feel stressed out. It also doesn't help when they play favourites, and your coworkers snitch on you for the littlest things(but pretend to be your friend)

The managers do almost nothing, when they see you they dont smile, they only smile and interact with their triends. It's a negative environment.

All in all I would never work at a chartwell location ever again. Stay away from this particular location.
Pros
Friendly residents
Cons
Boss plays favourites, management does little, incorrect paycheques
Never work here or send your love ones to live here!
Student (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMarch 15, 2016
I have never written a review about any company or person but I feel everyone out there should be aware of this place.

I'm a student doing my practicum with Chartwell and the management staff at this location is the worst I have ever had to deal with! They will insult you for spit, they will tell you, your not doing something right and then not explain why or how you can fix it. They have their favorite people and no one else matters. They talk about everyone behind their backs, including volunteers, they charge the residents so much money, but spend most of the time doing nothing or pretending to do stuff when they really are doing nothing and so much more.

I pay to learn and I do not feel that this site should be allowed to take in students and teach them. The Care staff and nurses are really good, but not treated fairly by management. The residents are so kind and wonderful and deserve so much better. I will never work for this location and strongly suggest that you do not either.
Pros
None - Stay away
Cons
Working for them
Horrible Bullying atmosphere..
call centre rep (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 26, 2015
Culture of favouritism borderline discrimination, unfair practices, mean employees with lethargic management, horrible business hours, brain dead job, no stimulus.
Not a job for career driven people.
Pros
pay is around $18
Cons
Zero benefits and sick days for part timers
Great company
General Manager (Current Employee) –  British ColumbiaMarch 1, 2016
Have worked in the retirement Industry for 15 yrs. Chartwell is a great company.
The senior exec team is transparent, connected and committed and the regional support team is knowledgable, available and supportive.
I have found nothing but support with respect to any sound business case or proposal I have brought forward.
Managers of mine are regularly commended by various senior managers in the company.
We all work hard and are expected to be accountable as we should be.
Pros
Supportive and collaborative team at all levels
Cons
morale killing company - all about the bottom line
General Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioMarch 3, 2016
I have worked for Chartwell for a number of years and seen some dramatic changes in the past 3 years. The company has made a dramatic shift from being people centric to a real focus on the bottom line.

I heard an executive refer to residents as "captive revenue" when discussing annual resident rental increases at a budget lab. Food budget is absurdly low and varies in each home, yet you're expected to create the same results. They are trying to brand their dining, but forget that taking away a resident's sense of place is critical to their sense of home. Staffing is minimal at best and the only way to get more is to introduce charges for every little extra you do for the resident like if you give a resident a bath because they had an accident you are supposed to charge them. How is that good customer service?

They have introduced a culture of accountability which loosely translates to if you don't make your numbers, its your fault. Even if you are successful one year and terrible the next you're at risk. I have watched a fantastic team of colleagues dwindle down to nothing, having breakdowns, sick leave, moving to other companies or getting walked out because they had a bad year and its terrible for morale.

They need to readjust their focus and actually work on their people - they have a great deal of focus put on how to make the resident's experience a great one, but they have forgotten the staff and management and its very disheartening. Toxic leadership at the top is poisoning the fabric of the good work the front line is doing.
Pros
Internal Team
Cons
Corporate Misdirection
Wonderful place to work at
PSW (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 6, 2016
All the staff and management are wonderful, and will stop and answer any questions or dilemma that arises. The hours are great the co-workers are very friendly, and the residents are the best part of working for the company Chartwell. for those that trash Chartwell not all locations are run by the same management so don't read something and assume that all Chartwell buildings are like that, because they are not each one is very different than the next one, different management, staff and residents. Chartwell goes through a lengthy process in hiring people so not just anyone can have the awesome experience for working for a Chartwell home.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Don't work at Chartwell Cedarbrooke Retirement Residence
Slave (Current Employee) –  Mission, BCJuly 8, 2016
This place is a mess, management only cares about business and bringing in money. They couldn't care less about their staff or even their residents. The fact that they are oblivious as to why the turn over rate is so bad just proves how poor the management and support is here.

Save yourself the mental and physical stress and do not bother working here. Nothing like working for nothing and getting no thanks while you're at it.

If there was a scale for gossip, this place would top every other place!
Pros
There's really no pros. Aside from making it home alive after your shift
Cons
Hah
Chartwell was a great place to work!
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, ONJune 1, 2016
I was present at chartwell during the summer and I found it to be a wonderful place to work. The co-workers were lovely and the patients were even more so. Their orientation schedule was great and made me feel prepared to work there on any shift that I was scheduled.
In the morning we would get the residents up and ready for breakfast, assist them with their activities of daily living and then we would put on activities for the residents to par take in throughout the day. I really enjoyed the relationships that I was able to for with the residents that i was giving care to.
Terrible
wellness (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 19, 2016
Don't let your loved ones live in a Chartwell home! This is a business that cares only for its profit margins. Management has no respect for staff. All are over worked and not appreciated at all!
Pros
Cons
all
management
PSW/RPN (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 28, 2016
Terrible place to work for they never reply to job posting , when you do get an interview they look at you and don't like you
Pros
Cons
long hours/ gossip/
Not the best place to work!
Tax Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Managers don’t always have the leadership skills to effectively manage their team. Undue pleasure is placed on staff. Staffs are frequently required to work overtime including weekends with no compensation
Pros
The Social Committee hosts various activities throughout the year
Cons
Lots of overtime with no compensation
Salary not enough
PSW (Current Employee) –  OntarioJune 1, 2016
Happy to work with the staffs and for the residents but the wage is so low compare to all the tasks that you need to do.

Its not worth your time and effort having a wage of $11.88/hour plus all the works that you need to do (Meeting resident's needs, Laundries, Maintenance abilities, Bring foods to the residents, Short staff)
Pros
Working for the Residents
Cons
Low wage, always short staff
Terrible Company
Food Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Martha's LandingFebruary 18, 2016
I wouldn't work for this company if my life depended on it.. They are the Worst business I've ever encountered.. Your talents and expertise you bring to them means nothing to them because their General Managers have favorite employees that they protect like they are their children.. Plus their pay is terrible and you won't get anywhere with this company other then lied too and stabbed in the back..
Pros
Working to serve the elderly
Cons
Working for Chartwell..
Strong in the marketplace
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  OrleansJune 23, 2016
Well established company with many benefits.Publicly traded on the TSX. Retirement Residences across Canada

Head office is located in Mississauga, ON. Solid reputation and respected in the industry
Pros
Solid work environment
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
Horrible work place
Chef (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCFebruary 14, 2016
Went through 3 GM's, will short staff you at the drop of the dime the all mighty dollar means more than the staff or the residences to this company and they will through any lower staff under the buss to save their job. Cut staff in housekeeping and kitchen and expect remaining employees to cover the extra work and some, extremely stressful.
Pros
no late nights
Cons
expected to give one hour or more a day to company for free
amazing place to work at
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2016
I love working at Regina Gardens, its such an amazing experience and the staff and management are great. The residents are all amazing.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
a lot of work for not much money
Bad place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 6, 2016
This building has the worst reputation in Victoria bc turnover is height in management and employees I feel very sorry for resident
Pros
No Pros
Cons
To many to mansion
Horrible place of employment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ONMarch 29, 2016
I have never in my entire life been so disrespected in my place of work from MANAGEMENT!!! Absolutely no interpersonal or communication skills. The turn over rate of GM's is almost on a yearly basis, Chartwell will pick anyone out of a hat to manage this home! All managers at Chartwell Leamington are stuck up and think they're better than the employees.... in the hallways they will keep their head down and completely ignore you. When you say "hi how are you?" They'll ignore you half the time. They never follow through on appreciation events such as Chartwell "Gem" Awards where staff are voted on to recieve appreciation.

Everyone in LTC at Chartwell Leamington just went through a lay off this March 2016, want to know how appreciated everyone felt on their last day???? No one was acknowledged for their years of hard work. Some staff were even disciplined and given dirty tasks outside of their job duties during the last days of work. No thank you, no respect, just attitude from management.

The managers in this home are so tight knit, they take 2-3 hour lunches on Fridays in the summer, they're incompetent, irresponsible and arrogant. They do not have proper training, or maybe they do and just don't care to implement it. You will always find the managers congregated in each others offices gossiping about employees or playing on their phones. It's ridiculous! They'll arrive late and leave early, never informing their staff of their absences making it very difficult when issues arise or a care conference is scheduled AND NO ONE IS THERE TO FACILITATE IT!

I highly advise
  more... anyone who considers working for Chartwell to reconsider. You will be under paid, given little direction and guidence with plenty of unnecessary discipline. Oh and playing favorites is their favorite thing to do. After working here I will NEVER put a loved one in a Chartwell home. Head office, regional managers and department managers at Chartwell Leamington should be embarrassed.

This being said, Chartwell Leamington did get an awesome shout out from the windsor star for zero restraints, physio etc. This doesn't have anything to do with managers, this is all thanks to the wonderful employees that care about the residents' well being and put effort in despite working conditions!
Pros
The amazing residents and co workers
Cons
Poor management

2.4