Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

Fun workplace
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 January 2017
A typical day for me would be biking to work, saying hi to the residence's and then go to the change room so i can get into my uniform. make my way to the kitchen where i start to set up my dish pit. 10 minutes too set it up so as the dishes start coming i'm ready for them. Couple hours go by staying on pace with the dishes and i finally get my lunch and start to clean up the dish pit. Clean everything the floors walls and sinks so its ready for the next guy and then i make my way home.

I learned how to wash dishes and work in a fast pace kitchen environment. Co workers were lovely too, really wish i didn't have to move away. Loved going to work everyday.
Pros
Free lunches were a big pro
Cons
Not good environment and managers
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Kingsville, ON15 November 2016
I have been here for a long time and All I can say is that the work environment is terrible. Employees are constantly talking behind each others backs. The only thing worse than this is the management since they do not care about their employees at all in any way. You could be running around for your entire shift and if you sit down for one second they assume you being lazy. You could be going through and extremely difficult time in life and they would not care!! You are also expected to do almost everything when most days tghere is only one nurse and one psw on a shift.
I would not put any family in here ever!!!
Pros
Residents
Cons
everything else
Saty away if you can.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, ON1 October 2016
When you first start you get tons of hours! Then you literally have no hours. You can't always sit around and wait for them to call. Constantly working short. Poor staff morale. Management sucked. You may have a union but they don't really do anything! Too much backstabbing...always running to management on the littlest things. Turnover rate really high. Can't seem to keep people to work there as County homes pay way more.
Pros
Residents are nice
Cons
If you have low seniority and are short expect to work a double.
kamloops chartwell
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 September 2016
RN is not good came in and made changes that did not need to be done she got rid of some of Our best staff that had been here for years!! Suprise suprise GM dose not stick by what what was discussed according to schedules she totally mess up on our lay offs so we got layed off twice in one month just very Un organized staff here are not happy sure if we all could find new jobs we would!!! we were happy up till March of this year then it all went to heck don't recommend working here only thing that's good is the residents and there family's witch a lot of them do not like that it has changed from a nice feeling home to walking threw front doors and it feeling like a buiessness its really to bad......
Pros
Care aide staff care about the residents and there wellbeing
Cons
Shifts, RN, GM
productive busy work place good people to work with.
Business & Systems Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 March 2017
Its a good place to work. people are friendly, the techs are supportive. The environment is nice easy going, not too dressy its very casual. managers are nice
Pros
Cons
No cons i liked it
Run fast, run far...
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Kingsville, ON28 September 2016
Current employee
Would never work for the Chartwell corperation again. I've worked here many years and have only seen it get worse...if families knew everything we wouldn't have residents to take care of. I would NEVER put a love one in there care. They only care how much money they can make from our elderly...
Pros
Residents are the only reason we come to work.
Cons
Too many. Run, run fast, run far...
good place to work.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 January 2017
good place to work, large turn over in staff tho, long hours. you would be scheduled 7-3 then when 3 pm came they would beg you to stay till 8 because someone did not show up for their shift.
Cons
you have to pay for your food, changing staff a lot.
Great company to work for.
Guest Attendant (PSW) (UCP) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2016
Chartwell retirement Residences is a huge company which as residences all over Canada. Good company to work for with good polices and training for the staff.
Pros
Lots of places to work
Cons
Not a small family company
Negative throw you under the bus type of environment
worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
A negative work place filled with empty promises. To list a few things they do is throw their workers in the line of angry residents to receive the negativity. 2. make empty promises to fix needed broken equipment so tasks cant be done properly without it. 3. when things go wrong General managers are quick to blame lower workers as if its them who run the residences into the ground. 4. Give out temp contracts with the promise of perminate positions when the job becomes available knowing they have no intention on doing so as a residence is a money making machine not a home care facility. this is a short list of many and isnt worth the time of working such a place.
Terrible
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ON9 August 2016
Terrible management! The management is very disconnected from the staff. Very impersonable. Doesnt try to build a good rapport and relationship with the team.

Also, even when teamwork is stressed management doesnt like it when RPNs and PSWs talk to each other. Wellness is only for RPNs and if a PSW is there even very briefly its looked at like theyre "socializing" as if thats a bad thing. God forbid the staff become friends with each other.
Pros
The residents
Great company
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cannington, ON18 February 2017
Great company to work for. Fair and kind to their seniors abd staff Love the shifts and hours. Nice facility and regional hr people listen
Pros
Great shift hours
Cons
No advancement
I enjoy working with elderly
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Aurora2 November 2016
Working at chartwell long term home give me a a positive attitude that I can help resident in a safe manner and respect there choices and they dignity.
Pros
I like my job
Cons
Need more hours
Don't work at Chartwell Cedarbrooke Retirement Residence
Slave (Current Employee) –  Mission, BC8 July 2016
This place is a mess, management only cares about business and bringing in money. They couldn't care less about their staff or even their residents. The fact that they are oblivious as to why the turn over rate is so bad just proves how poor the management and support is here.

Save yourself the mental and physical stress and do not bother working here. Nothing like working for nothing and getting no thanks while you're at it.

If there was a scale for gossip, this place would top every other place!
Pros
There's really no pros. Aside from making it home alive after your shift
Cons
Hah
My worst experience
manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 October 2016
Will never work for this heartless company again . They only care about the bottom line money. Training new management is non existent.

This place can be good if the right people were in place.
Pros
no lunch
Cons
long hrs
Wonderful place to work at
PSW (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON6 June 2016
All the staff and management are wonderful, and will stop and answer any questions or dilemma that arises. The hours are great the co-workers are very friendly, and the residents are the best part of working for the company Chartwell. for those that trash Chartwell not all locations are run by the same management so don't read something and assume that all Chartwell buildings are like that, because they are not each one is very different than the next one, different management, staff and residents. Chartwell goes through a lengthy process in hiring people so not just anyone can have the awesome experience for working for a Chartwell home.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
Chartwell was a great place to work!
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, ON1 June 2016
I was present at chartwell during the summer and I found it to be a wonderful place to work. The co-workers were lovely and the patients were even more so. Their orientation schedule was great and made me feel prepared to work there on any shift that I was scheduled.
In the morning we would get the residents up and ready for breakfast, assist them with their activities of daily living and then we would put on activities for the residents to par take in throughout the day. I really enjoyed the relationships that I was able to for with the residents that i was giving care to.
Salary not enough
PSW (Current Employee) –  Ontario1 June 2016
Happy to work with the staffs and for the residents but the wage is so low compare to all the tasks that you need to do.

Its not worth your time and effort having a wage of $11.88/hour plus all the works that you need to do (Meeting resident's needs, Laundries, Maintenance abilities, Bring foods to the residents, Short staff)
Pros
Working for the Residents
Cons
Low wage, always short staff
waitress, collage job
Waitress (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 October 2016
It was really great getting to know the residence. A great job for someone looking to be a PSW. wish some things were done differently here.
Strong in the marketplace
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Orleans23 June 2016
Well established company with many benefits.Publicly traded on the TSX. Retirement Residences across Canada

Head office is located in Mississauga, ON. Solid reputation and respected in the industry
Pros
Solid work environment
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
Run far far away from this place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 March 2016
The chartwell Riverside location is not the best place to work. When the boss expects too much in too short of a time, you feel stressed out. It also doesn't help when they play favourites, and your coworkers snitch on you for the littlest things(but pretend to be your friend)

The managers do almost nothing, when they see you they dont smile, they only smile and interact with their triends. It's a negative environment.

All in all I would never work at a chartwell location ever again. Stay away from this particular location.
Pros
Friendly residents
Cons
Boss plays favourites, management does little, incorrect paycheques

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4