Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

Productive and fun working experience
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 April 2017
Chartwell residence is a beautiful and comfortable home for seniors. It serves and put their residents first and respect them. I have a beautiful experience with chartwell and i like working with them
productive busy work place good people to work with.
Business & Systems Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 March 2017
Its a good place to work. people are friendly, the techs are supportive. The environment is nice easy going, not too dressy its very casual. managers are nice
Pros
Cons
No cons i liked it
Great company
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cannington, ON18 February 2017
Great company to work for. Fair and kind to their seniors abd staff Love the shifts and hours. Nice facility and regional hr people listen
Pros
Great shift hours
Cons
No advancement
Fun workplace
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  London, ON12 January 2017
A typical day for me would be biking to work, saying hi to the residence's and then go to the change room so i can get into my uniform. make my way to the kitchen where i start to set up my dish pit. 10 minutes too set it up so as the dishes start coming i'm ready for them. Couple hours go by staying on pace with the dishes and i finally get my lunch and start to clean up the dish pit. Clean everything the floors walls and sinks so its ready for the next guy and then i make my way home.

I learned how to wash dishes and work in a fast pace kitchen environment. Co workers were lovely too, really wish i didn't have to move away. Loved going to work everyday.
Pros
Free lunches were a big pro
good place to work.
Cook (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON5 January 2017
good place to work, large turn over in staff tho, long hours. you would be scheduled 7-3 then when 3 pm came they would beg you to stay till 8 because someone did not show up for their shift.
Cons
you have to pay for your food, changing staff a lot.
Great company to work for.
Guest Attendant (PSW) (UCP) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2016
Chartwell retirement Residences is a huge company which as residences all over Canada. Good company to work for with good polices and training for the staff.
Pros
Lots of places to work
Cons
Not a small family company
Not good environment and managers
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Kingsville, ON15 November 2016
I have been here for a long time and All I can say is that the work environment is terrible. Employees are constantly talking behind each others backs. The only thing worse than this is the management since they do not care about their employees at all in any way. You could be running around for your entire shift and if you sit down for one second they assume you being lazy. You could be going through and extremely difficult time in life and they would not care!! You are also expected to do almost everything when most days tghere is only one nurse and one psw on a shift.
I would not put any family in here ever!!!
Pros
Residents
Cons
everything else
I enjoy working with elderly
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Aurora2 November 2016
Working at chartwell long term home give me a a positive attitude that I can help resident in a safe manner and respect there choices and they dignity.
Pros
I like my job
Cons
Need more hours
waitress, collage job
Waitress (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 October 2016
It was really great getting to know the residence. A great job for someone looking to be a PSW. wish some things were done differently here.
My worst experience
manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 October 2016
Will never work for this heartless company again . They only care about the bottom line money. Training new management is non existent.

This place can be good if the right people were in place.
Pros
no lunch
Cons
long hrs
Saty away if you can.
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, ON1 October 2016
When you first start you get tons of hours! Then you literally have no hours. You can't always sit around and wait for them to call. Constantly working short. Poor staff morale. Management sucked. You may have a union but they don't really do anything! Too much backstabbing...always running to management on the littlest things. Turnover rate really high. Can't seem to keep people to work there as County homes pay way more.
Pros
Residents are nice
Cons
If you have low seniority and are short expect to work a double.
Run fast, run far...
General Labourer (Current Employee) –  Kingsville, ON28 September 2016
Current employee
Would never work for the Chartwell corperation again. I've worked here many years and have only seen it get worse...if families knew everything we wouldn't have residents to take care of. I would NEVER put a love one in there care. They only care how much money they can make from our elderly...
Pros
Residents are the only reason we come to work.
Cons
Too many. Run, run fast, run far...
kamloops chartwell
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 September 2016
RN is not good came in and made changes that did not need to be done she got rid of some of Our best staff that had been here for years!! Suprise suprise GM dose not stick by what what was discussed according to schedules she totally mess up on our lay offs so we got layed off twice in one month just very Un organized staff here are not happy sure if we all could find new jobs we would!!! we were happy up till March of this year then it all went to heck don't recommend working here only thing that's good is the residents and there family's witch a lot of them do not like that it has changed from a nice feeling home to walking threw front doors and it feeling like a buiessness its really to bad......
Pros
Care aide staff care about the residents and there wellbeing
Cons
Shifts, RN, GM
Anything would be better than working here.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON3 September 2016
Chartwell and its team of ignorance is an embarrassment to senior living. If making people's lives better is truly their mission, then I don't understand how they can achieve that through bullying, harassment and unethical behavior. Direction comes from the top and gets filtered down. I am certain the message gets manipulated as it filters down. The regional director I had was hideous. He was unsupportive, cold and callous, unapproachable and was always quick to find fault. They speak of ACCOUNTABILITY constantly.....but take NONE!!!! The arrogance is apaulling. Listen to your frontline staff who are immersed in the day to day operations. Listen to your residents who wish to see changes made. But instead you criticize staff and make excuses. Where are your morals? The only thing that matters is $$$. When you have so much anxiety and cry everyday on your way to work....you need to wake up and realize that it just isn't worth it. This company will tear you down. If you like having your phone calls recorded and your emails read by your corporate office and then criticized for how a conversation went or you did not ask a specific quesion or your didn't follow "their script" then this is the place for you. Good luck.
Pros
Residents, their families and the staff.
Cons
Too many to list. I think my review says it all
Negative throw you under the bus type of environment
worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 August 2016
A negative work place filled with empty promises. To list a few things they do is throw their workers in the line of angry residents to receive the negativity. 2. make empty promises to fix needed broken equipment so tasks cant be done properly without it. 3. when things go wrong General managers are quick to blame lower workers as if its them who run the residences into the ground. 4. Give out temp contracts with the promise of perminate positions when the job becomes available knowing they have no intention on doing so as a residence is a money making machine not a home care facility. this is a short list of many and isnt worth the time of working such a place.
Terrible
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ON9 August 2016
Terrible management! The management is very disconnected from the staff. Very impersonable. Doesnt try to build a good rapport and relationship with the team.

Also, even when teamwork is stressed management doesnt like it when RPNs and PSWs talk to each other. Wellness is only for RPNs and if a PSW is there even very briefly its looked at like theyre "socializing" as if thats a bad thing. God forbid the staff become friends with each other.
Pros
The residents
Don't work at Chartwell Cedarbrooke Retirement Residence
Slave (Current Employee) –  Mission, BC8 July 2016
This place is a mess, management only cares about business and bringing in money. They couldn't care less about their staff or even their residents. The fact that they are oblivious as to why the turn over rate is so bad just proves how poor the management and support is here.

Save yourself the mental and physical stress and do not bother working here. Nothing like working for nothing and getting no thanks while you're at it.

If there was a scale for gossip, this place would top every other place!
Pros
There's really no pros. Aside from making it home alive after your shift
Cons
Hah
Strong in the marketplace
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Orleans23 June 2016
Well established company with many benefits.Publicly traded on the TSX. Retirement Residences across Canada

Head office is located in Mississauga, ON. Solid reputation and respected in the industry
Pros
Solid work environment
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
A downer!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 June 2016
The GM is not up to par. Belittles people and makes them feel stupid! The drama that goes on is unreal. Needs a lot of improvement!!!
Pros
Nice residents
Cons
The GM!
Bad place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC6 June 2016
This building has the worst reputation in Victoria bc turnover is height in management and employees I feel very sorry for resident
Pros
No Pros
Cons
To many to mansion

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5