Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Review

View all Chartwell Retirement Residences reviews

Food and Beverage Manager is incompetent
used (Current Employee) –  guelph ontario15 May 2014
Define incompetency: the Chartwell FSM. OMG!

I have read and continue to see new statements of how dire the situation has been and continues to be at Chartwell and at this place, there doesn't seem that that culture of mismanagement and employee disregard is going to be changing anytime soon.

I have to say, that though I am still employed here (though that will definitely change if they figure out that I wrote this) this employment brings me no joy. I and my coworkers, do not look forward to going into work. When we are there, the mood is dour and unappealing.

The little we have to work with, the confines in which we work, is slowly but surely killing any joy we may once have had working here.

And truly all of this only really started since the new Food Service Manager came on board.

Yes, we (the underlings) know that the budget has to be met, that a profit has to be made, but seriously, at what cost? The ridiculous fare that we have to put out to the residence makes my stomach turn. How is it even a thought, never mind a viable one, that a grilled cheese sandwich with a half a pickle be served as a lunch for someone who pays $3000+/mth?

That by the way, is the typical lunch offering.

If the residence wants a large juice, they should be given a small juice. If they complain, let them wait and hopefully they'll forget that they'd wanted the large. If they still ask, then they can get another small juice.

More and more the food is going the 'heat&serve' route. Why would I want to go to place that advertises that its menu is a carefully considered enterprise,
  more... to get Campbell's previously frozen soup with a soggy sandwich for my lunch? And pay in excess of $3000 a month for that privilege?

If none of the above bothers you, and bear in mind that that is just a tiny tiny hint of what it's like working there, then feel free to apply. They are in constant demand of workers.

If you care about the service you give, the food you make, and have a passion for life, don't work here. It's not the place for you.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Middlemanagement who haven't got a clue but won't listen to those of us who do.

Other Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

Greedy company whose foremost ambition is to increase its profits and property portfolio
Resident Attendant (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON8 November 2017
Little care for the welfare of residents who pay astronomical rentals to be able to live in a room.

Consistent shortages of basic food items and staff which causes concern and stress to residents and their families and front line staff.

Lack of amenities and appropriate personnel to met the needs of residents who are being admitted to fill rooms who require more specialised care.

Shamelessly deplorable management.

A very difficult and stressful environment if one has a genuine care about the welfare, comfort and happiness of seniors.
Pros
Wonderful residents, front line colleagues
Cons
Witness of Chartwell's exploitation of seniors
Chartwell doesn't care
Manager (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 November 2017
Chartwell Ross Place is a home where things are a mess. First the resident seniors that live there are good people and deserve better. Chartwell is a high end home care facility. The actual building is owned by another company and Chartwell leases it off them.. this is why a lot of maintenance issues are not resolved. Chartwell will spend the money to fix problems but obviously only when its an investment to their own building. This causes a lot of frustration with staff and residents. Next, the hired management and staff work extremely hard even if people say bad things, they really are trying to do their best with what they have. There is no one driving the ship there and this makes a lot frustration for the management but Chartwell just says "keep going". When someone tries to take control they get released or somehow seems to be a big situation. If you are a "doer" this could be a good place as it needs some stability even tho there will be a lot of difficult days. When you start work understand you are behind the 8ball and need to win the residents over.. because they are tired of all the nonsense. There is what I see as "major safety concerns" with how they have safety preparation for the residents. Eg: There is 1 front desk staff as the go-to first safety responder; and answer phones, deal with 186 residents, family members, walk ins, mail, signups, financials, do front desk duties and other manager given duties, etc.. . Also, they have had 15 different various department managers in 5 years, 3+ GM in under 5 years and a wide variety of other staffers leave. These residents  more... deserve a better end of life.  less
Pros
Nice higher end facility, good residents.
Cons
Chartwell seeing you as an Island location, angry residents.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6