Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Review

View all Chartwell Retirement Residences reviews

Food and Beverage Manager is incompetent
used (Current Employee) –  guelph ontario15 May 2014
Define incompetency: the Chartwell FSM. OMG!

I have read and continue to see new statements of how dire the situation has been and continues to be at Chartwell and at this place, there doesn't seem that that culture of mismanagement and employee disregard is going to be changing anytime soon.

I have to say, that though I am still employed here (though that will definitely change if they figure out that I wrote this) this employment brings me no joy. I and my coworkers, do not look forward to going into work. When we are there, the mood is dour and unappealing.

The little we have to work with, the confines in which we work, is slowly but surely killing any joy we may once have had working here.

And truly all of this only really started since the new Food Service Manager came on board.

Yes, we (the underlings) know that the budget has to be met, that a profit has to be made, but seriously, at what cost? The ridiculous fare that we have to put out to the residence makes my stomach turn. How is it even a thought, never mind a viable one, that a grilled cheese sandwich with a half a pickle be served as a lunch for someone who pays $3000+/mth?

That by the way, is the typical lunch offering.

If the residence wants a large juice, they should be given a small juice. If they complain, let them wait and hopefully they'll forget that they'd wanted the large. If they still ask, then they can get another small juice.

More and more the food is going the 'heat&serve' route. Why would I want to go to place that advertises that its menu is a carefully considered enterprise,
  more... to get Campbell's previously frozen soup with a soggy sandwich for my lunch? And pay in excess of $3000 a month for that privilege?

If none of the above bothers you, and bear in mind that that is just a tiny tiny hint of what it's like working there, then feel free to apply. They are in constant demand of workers.

If you care about the service you give, the food you make, and have a passion for life, don't work here. It's not the place for you.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Middlemanagement who haven't got a clue but won't listen to those of us who do.

Other Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

No idea what project management is
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga Valley, ON17 February 2018
they have no clue about what Project management is, their only tool is excel and the director of Project management doesn' have a clue what project plan is. She brings 40 people in one room and goes over task items one by one and records them on a spreadsheet, it is only checkbox management, there is no any plan successor predecessor relation, critical path, task assignment, resource levelling, scheduling, risk assessment, risk management, cost management nothing zilch nada. I managed multi million dollar projects successfully however they only asked me to take minutes in two meetings and then they let me go after three months by paying another three months . Unbelievable place, something from novels of Kafka..
productive
Night Reception/Janitorial/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC15 February 2018
i was working graveyard shift 11-7 am , i didn't really see a lot of the other staff , or get to know a lot of people , management was OK , sometimes a fast paced environment
Pros
lunch was made in the kitchen
Cons
regular hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.