Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews in Canada

Negative throw you under the bus type of environment
worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2016
A negative work place filled with empty promises. To list a few things they do is throw their workers in the line of angry residents to receive the negativity. 2. make empty promises to fix needed broken equipment so tasks cant be done properly without it. 3. when things go wrong General managers are quick to blame lower workers as if its them who run the residences into the ground. 4. Give out temp contracts with the promise of perminate positions when the job becomes available knowing they have no intention on doing so as a residence is a money making machine not a home care facility. this is a short list of many and isnt worth the time of working such a place.
Terrible
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ONAugust 9, 2016
Terrible management! The management is very disconnected from the staff. Very impersonable. Doesnt try to build a good rapport and relationship with the team.

Also, even when teamwork is stressed management doesnt like it when RPNs and PSWs talk to each other. Wellness is only for RPNs and if a PSW is there even very briefly its looked at like theyre "socializing" as if thats a bad thing. God forbid the staff become friends with each other.
Pros
The residents
Don't work at Chartwell Cedarbrooke Retirement Residence
Slave (Current Employee) –  Mission, BCJuly 8, 2016
This place is a mess, management only cares about business and bringing in money. They couldn't care less about their staff or even their residents. The fact that they are oblivious as to why the turn over rate is so bad just proves how poor the management and support is here.

Save yourself the mental and physical stress and do not bother working here. Nothing like working for nothing and getting no thanks while you're at it.

If there was a scale for gossip, this place would top every other place!
Pros
There's really no pros. Aside from making it home alive after your shift
Cons
Hah
Strong in the marketplace
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  OrleansJune 23, 2016
Well established company with many benefits.Publicly traded on the TSX. Retirement Residences across Canada

Head office is located in Mississauga, ON. Solid reputation and respected in the industry
Pros
Solid work environment
Cons
Limited opportunity for advancement
A downer!
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJune 9, 2016
The GM is not up to par. Belittles people and makes them feel stupid! The drama that goes on is unreal. Needs a lot of improvement!!!
Pros
Nice residents
Cons
The GM!
Bad place to work
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 6, 2016
This building has the worst reputation in Victoria bc turnover is height in management and employees I feel very sorry for resident
Pros
No Pros
Cons
To many to mansion
Wonderful place to work at
PSW (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJune 6, 2016
All the staff and management are wonderful, and will stop and answer any questions or dilemma that arises. The hours are great the co-workers are very friendly, and the residents are the best part of working for the company Chartwell. for those that trash Chartwell not all locations are run by the same management so don't read something and assume that all Chartwell buildings are like that, because they are not each one is very different than the next one, different management, staff and residents. Chartwell goes through a lengthy process in hiring people so not just anyone can have the awesome experience for working for a Chartwell home.
Pros
Amazing staff and management
Cons
amazing place to work at
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 3, 2016
I love working at Regina Gardens, its such an amazing experience and the staff and management are great. The residents are all amazing.
Pros
amazing staff
Cons
a lot of work for not much money
Chartwell was a great place to work!
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, ONJune 1, 2016
I was present at chartwell during the summer and I found it to be a wonderful place to work. The co-workers were lovely and the patients were even more so. Their orientation schedule was great and made me feel prepared to work there on any shift that I was scheduled.
In the morning we would get the residents up and ready for breakfast, assist them with their activities of daily living and then we would put on activities for the residents to par take in throughout the day. I really enjoyed the relationships that I was able to for with the residents that i was giving care to.
Salary not enough
PSW (Current Employee) –  OntarioJune 1, 2016
Happy to work with the staffs and for the residents but the wage is so low compare to all the tasks that you need to do.

Its not worth your time and effort having a wage of $11.88/hour plus all the works that you need to do (Meeting resident's needs, Laundries, Maintenance abilities, Bring foods to the residents, Short staff)
Pros
Working for the Residents
Cons
Low wage, always short staff
nice
Dietary Aid (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 9, 2016
love to work here, people are nice and environment is positive, very pleasure to work and learn. flexible schedule. management is helpful
*********
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONApril 30, 2016
I found them very unorganized, didnt know too much on what they were doing, I ll never work for chartwell again! Very rude people and very female orentied. If your a male watch out u wont last long
Horrible place of employment
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ONMarch 29, 2016
I have never in my entire life been so disrespected in my place of work from MANAGEMENT!!! Absolutely no interpersonal or communication skills. The turn over rate of GM's is almost on a yearly basis, Chartwell will pick anyone out of a hat to manage this home! All managers at Chartwell Leamington are stuck up and think they're better than the employees.... in the hallways they will keep their head down and completely ignore you. When you say "hi how are you?" They'll ignore you half the time. They never follow through on appreciation events such as Chartwell "Gem" Awards where staff are voted on to recieve appreciation.

Everyone in LTC at Chartwell Leamington just went through a lay off this March 2016, want to know how appreciated everyone felt on their last day???? No one was acknowledged for their years of hard work. Some staff were even disciplined and given dirty tasks outside of their job duties during the last days of work. No thank you, no respect, just attitude from management.

The managers in this home are so tight knit, they take 2-3 hour lunches on Fridays in the summer, they're incompetent, irresponsible and arrogant. They do not have proper training, or maybe they do and just don't care to implement it. You will always find the managers congregated in each others offices gossiping about employees or playing on their phones. It's ridiculous! They'll arrive late and leave early, never informing their staff of their absences making it very difficult when issues arise or a care conference is scheduled AND NO ONE IS THERE TO FACILITATE IT!

I highly advise
  more... anyone who considers working for Chartwell to reconsider. You will be under paid, given little direction and guidence with plenty of unnecessary discipline. Oh and playing favorites is their favorite thing to do. After working here I will NEVER put a loved one in a Chartwell home. Head office, regional managers and department managers at Chartwell Leamington should be embarrassed.

This being said, Chartwell Leamington did get an awesome shout out from the windsor star for zero restraints, physio etc. This doesn't have anything to do with managers, this is all thanks to the wonderful employees that care about the residents' well being and put effort in despite working conditions!
Pros
The amazing residents and co workers
Cons
Poor management
Run far far away from this place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 28, 2016
The chartwell Riverside location is not the best place to work. When the boss expects too much in too short of a time, you feel stressed out. It also doesn't help when they play favourites, and your coworkers snitch on you for the littlest things(but pretend to be your friend)

The managers do almost nothing, when they see you they dont smile, they only smile and interact with their triends. It's a negative environment.

All in all I would never work at a chartwell location ever again. Stay away from this particular location.
Pros
Friendly residents
Cons
Boss plays favourites, management does little, incorrect paycheques
management
PSW/RPN (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 28, 2016
Terrible place to work for they never reply to job posting , when you do get an interview they look at you and don't like you
Pros
Cons
long hours/ gossip/
Terrible
wellness (Former Employee) –  OntarioMarch 19, 2016
Don't let your loved ones live in a Chartwell home! This is a business that cares only for its profit margins. Management has no respect for staff. All are over worked and not appreciated at all!
Pros
Cons
all
Never work here or send your love ones to live here!
Student (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCMarch 15, 2016
I have never written a review about any company or person but I feel everyone out there should be aware of this place.

I'm a student doing my practicum with Chartwell and the management staff at this location is the worst I have ever had to deal with! They will insult you for spit, they will tell you, your not doing something right and then not explain why or how you can fix it. They have their favorite people and no one else matters. They talk about everyone behind their backs, including volunteers, they charge the residents so much money, but spend most of the time doing nothing or pretending to do stuff when they really are doing nothing and so much more.

I pay to learn and I do not feel that this site should be allowed to take in students and teach them. The Care staff and nurses are really good, but not treated fairly by management. The residents are so kind and wonderful and deserve so much better. I will never work for this location and strongly suggest that you do not either.
Pros
None - Stay away
Cons
Working for them
Great people, bad management
Server (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 14, 2016
I worked at a chartwell home for around 2 years, and over all it was a good experience at the beginning. Although it was very difficult, I really learned how to manage stress, and to work at a quick pase. My co workers and managers were great, and very helpful. My managers were very accommodating, and were concerned about my welbeing on a personal level. All was good, until management on the corporate level made changes. Without regard or knowledge of how the kitchen/dining room worked, they made a bunch of changes that made work impossible. It through everything off, and even had negative consequences on the residents, which lead to many leaving. To my knowledge corporate continues to screw up the functioning of the workplace, and from what I hear it's very, very stressful.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Bad corporate management
morale killing company - all about the bottom line
General Manager (Current Employee) –  OntarioMarch 3, 2016
I have worked for Chartwell for a number of years and seen some dramatic changes in the past 3 years. The company has made a dramatic shift from being people centric to a real focus on the bottom line.

I heard an executive refer to residents as "captive revenue" when discussing annual resident rental increases at a budget lab. Food budget is absurdly low and varies in each home, yet you're expected to create the same results. They are trying to brand their dining, but forget that taking away a resident's sense of place is critical to their sense of home. Staffing is minimal at best and the only way to get more is to introduce charges for every little extra you do for the resident like if you give a resident a bath because they had an accident you are supposed to charge them. How is that good customer service?

They have introduced a culture of accountability which loosely translates to if you don't make your numbers, its your fault. Even if you are successful one year and terrible the next you're at risk. I have watched a fantastic team of colleagues dwindle down to nothing, having breakdowns, sick leave, moving to other companies or getting walked out because they had a bad year and its terrible for morale.

They need to readjust their focus and actually work on their people - they have a great deal of focus put on how to make the resident's experience a great one, but they have forgotten the staff and management and its very disheartening. Toxic leadership at the top is poisoning the fabric of the good work the front line is doing.
Pros
Internal Team
Cons
Corporate Misdirection
Nice place to work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ONMarch 2, 2016
I Love working at Chartwell. It is a very friendly place to work. All the staff are very friendly and make me feel welcome and part of the team.
Pros
close to where I live

2.3