Chartwell Retirement Residences Employee Reviews

Love the residents.
Server/Dietary (Current Employee) –  London, ON19 September 2017
Long days, short staff often. Residents are a joy to work for! Management could improve. Meals are provided to dining staff. Employees are good to work with.
Pros
free meals
Cons
favourtism
Most enjoyable part of job,management,hardest part of job,typical work day
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Aylmer, ON15 September 2017
Most enjoyable part of the job was working with the residents. Each resident had individual life stories and it was very rewarding and interesting working with them. It was a learning experience every day.

Managment was easy to work with as our goals were the same to ensure all residents were getting all their needs met.

Hardest part of the job was not being able to meet the residents needs. Sometimes it was a matter of money. Sometimes a matter of schedule re. Chartwell or family not willing to recognize the need of the resident.

Typical day at work would start with reading the notes on the computer with regards to each individual resident. Then I would determine who and what I needed to address first. It might be talking to a staff about their interpretation of a resident issues, a medical issue of the resident or talking to the resident.
Pros
Made own partime hours to work with institution
Cons
Sometimes not having the resources to help everyone
Loved the company
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 September 2017
And virtually everyone I worked with, especially the seniors!!
Love Vancouver Island which is where i wish to retire. I enjoy my work with seniors and appreciate the things that I can do to make them more comfortable.
good experience, heavy lifting
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 September 2017
As a student nurse I felt like I learned a lot in this clinical placement. People I worked with in general were quite nice but I left like I did not get to use a lot of the skills I had learned. There was not a lot to do at this time in my clinical experience just giving out meds and lifting/turning people. there was quite a bit of heavy lifting so ensure you are fit and using proper mechanics.
Challenging and challenges are there everyday
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 September 2017
I believe in challenges makes you a good man and ready to any changes and challenge that you face for everyday work you do.facing old people and do a good service to them always brighten my days that it seems I'm servicing and helping my own parents which I missed a lot for I was outside of the country for almost 24years of my younger years.
beautiful home with new court yard
Hca and ucp (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ON22 August 2017
i loved working with my co-workers
i have great experience being able to talk to my management team about any concern or even personal advice.
My residents is what made my day at the end of my work day they always recognized the hard word and dedication i had for them they made me smile so i brought the sunshine in loved every minute and miss them alot
Pros
recognition prizes
Cons
under staffed
Lots of hours
PSW (Current Employee) –  Vineland, ON21 August 2017
There are always lots of hours to pick up if your casual. Although, most of the time, the facility is running short staffed.Laid back and easy going work environment.
Pros
free lunches when working doubles
Cons
usually running short staffed
Under values its employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC7 August 2017
This company puts enormous stress on its employees. Sets up employees for failure and then pounces on them. GM puts unrealistic press on staff and expects unattainable results. Company expects employees to work enormous hours with no compensation. Huge favoritism on the GMs . GMs come in with no experience in the retirement industry causing havoc within the work place. When numbers are down the pressure is put on the employees and not on the GMs. Highly recommend avoiding , no job security. GM very unprofessional.
Pros
people living in the building
Cons
Company values and GMs
Great people to work with and to work for
Cooperative Education Student (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON20 July 2017
The residents were great, they thought me a lot of things. Was very hard not to get attached to them because they were great people but you don't really want too because they can get sick and you wouldn't see them again. Management in some departments really cared about the residence but I wish I can say all of them did.
Pros
The residence made your day so much better
Cons
Some of them are very lonely and sad
Great culture and very focused on caring for the clients
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON20 July 2017
I love my work at Chartwell Retirement Residences where employees are treated like family and we are encouraged every day to ensure the safety, well-being and care of our clients, the seniors who live in the homes where we work.
Horrible Place to Work
Server (Former Employee) –  LaSalle, ON10 July 2017
Worked here for over 2 years and let me tell you... Management is a joke. Harassment is a constant matter and even after going to the General Manager, nothing is fixed. The most hard working employees are treated like dirt and the laziest ones who kiss a** are the ones who get praised. Bullying between coworkers is ridiculous and management does nothing to help. Residents are amazing but the workers and management make you hate the job. No clue how this place is still running. No wonder they can not keep staff.
Pros
The residents
Cons
Everything else.
Chartwell
Cook (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 July 2017
A typical day at this place is stressful. Constantly under staffed. The residents here are not retirement living they are all long term care, the management doesn't know what they are doing and they need to be replaced. Honestly this place is going downhill cause no one knows what they are doing.
Cons
Understaffed
Productive and fun work place
Chartwell chateu georgian retirement home (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON6 July 2017
It was a great experience working in a retirement home . Great employees and very nice people. Have a great time with the residents. Management are very helpful if needed.
Do not work for chartwell
FSS (Former Employee) –  Ontario4 July 2017
They have no idea what they're doing at any given time because their training programs are seriously flawed. Middle management is constantly blamed for Administrators and Head Office Consultants screwing up.

Head Office Consultants are the most inept people I've ever met. If people knew how out of date and behind tech and industry advancements these people are they would never trust their loved ones to a Chartwell home of any kind.

They practice hiding things from the Ministry of Health instead of just doing things the right way. They have no respect at all for the front line staff. They pay very poorly and then expect miracles.

This company should be shut down and overhauled.
Pros
Cons
No loyalty to anyone.
Brutal
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ontario20 June 2017
What a terrible company, its remarkable that this is a publicly traded company, the way it is run you would swear it was a nickel and dime outfit...salary was miserable....overworked....micro managed..held accountable for evertyhing ...no training...antiquated sytems...and middle managers are all over you...do yorself a favor and go to another company this one is very bad
Pros
Residents
Cons
Almost everything
superbe equipe
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint-Eustache, QC18 June 2017
jai adore travailler avec mon equipe et aider a former lequipe de preposer avant mon depart. Si, un jour je reviens vivre au Québec cest sur que jessaie de ravoir mon poste
Lots of room for growth opportunities
First Cook (Current Employee) –  Thornhill, ON6 June 2017
Lots of room for growth opportunities, learning and personal development. Great compensation. Awesome training school programs. Opportunities for international travel and assignments.
Cons
Multiple MORs making transfer of knowledge, expertise very inefficient. Lots of politics and forming of cliques. Constant reorganization. Constantly creating new additional policies instead of fine tuning existing.
Management needs to work stuff out
Server (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2017
Chartwell had the messiest management I have ever worked for. Their labour board sucks and doesn't listen to complaints, they loose staff so easily because they don't know how to treat them.
Pros
The people
Staff (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON25 May 2017
Terrible management, over worked, understaffed. Not enough pay for the work. Nursing protocols not adhered to. HR department not organized. No teamwork. Very little training.
Pros
Terrible
Cons
Terrible
Productive and fun working experience
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 April 2017
Chartwell residence is a beautiful and comfortable home for seniors. It serves and put their residents first and respect them. I have a beautiful experience with chartwell and i like working with them

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Chartwell Retirement Residences. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6