Chartis Employee Reviews

Challenging, lack of management expertise, good team work
Accountant 1 (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2014
Good learning experience, however no job efficiency and lack of expertise in the management process. There isn't any work process as the management is trying to understand and streamline our work so basically management is using us a the guinea pigs to test things out. The hardest part of the job is to juggle work and personal life. Long hours and management is never satisfied with our work. People are quitting and we are giving more responsiblities. My co workers are great. We have great team work and always available to offer help. I started as Accountant1 five years ago and still I am an Accountant1 even though I am required to do more work with more job responsibilities. There isn't any job security. The enjoyable part of the job is to learn and my coworkers are enjoyable. The hardest part of the job is that we have our duties but more duties are given to us and we are expected to learn it quickly. Since management is trying to streamline processes, they are basically confused on how to start and finish. I am efficient and a hard working person, however if the job doesn't entail a flow of work or job efficiency, then it gets a bit difficult to follow.
Pros
teamwork
Cons
management
Growth Enviroment that will allow skills, talents, and traits to shine.
Senior Billing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berkeley Heights, NJNovember 25, 2014
I really enjoy working with the public and i hope to excel in my customer service experience. Working now with a church ministry has really put my life in new perspective with working with the people, specifically people who are truly in need of every day items. It has made me humble to know that i have been blessed even when unemployed, because i am still able to lean on my degree and allow my education and ability to adapt and learn new skills willingly to guide and protect my career path. Therefore I hope to spread that positive attitude in my new work environment and allow it to be my podium that i lean on when looking for a career path and so far it has such a success, because along the way i have encounter such wonderful people who with career mind and strong focus on long term goals they are still grounded with humility and strength to give back to their community.
Pros
i enjoyed working with people
Cons
the long lines and short tempers at times
Productive a great way to learn about commercial insurance
Premium Audit Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2013
Took inbound phone calls from insured's who had Worker's Comp. policies for their employees. They called to either dispute their audit if something was calculated incorrectly, or to get information on how they could schedule their payroll audit with one of our auditors. We also rec'd requests via email, and fax. We would open the dispute if necessary and forward the information onto our audit techs for completion of the requests. We would also do call backs from the voice mail messages left, the hardest part could be the multitasking, but when you get a rhythm going, it's ok. I enjoyed talking to a lot of the insured's that would call in because you can build a client-customer service with them.
Pros
the company took care of their employees, we would have out of the office lunch meetings, company picnic time.
Cons
unfortunately would have to face angry people who knew about the aig bailout amongs other things.
Not A Good Work Environment
Underwriting Technician (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 9, 2012
This company talks about teamwork but doesn't facilitate that philosphy in its individual units. Many unhappy and dissatisfied employees. Employee counterparts are unprofessional, rude and unwilling to assist. Management is more like the good old boys club. Management turns a blind eye when people who are good at their jobs but not with other people. They put people in charge who don't want to be and those people who are suppose to train don't want to share information. Most of the employees have a bad opinion of the company and express bias. They don't appreciate employees and more interested in profits than making happy employees. A happy employee creates a profitable environment for everyone concerned. Management isn't respectful to subordinates and are lazy and look to blame assistants for their mistakes, so document, document and document.
Fast pace enviroment, very exciting and great exposure. There was never a dull moment.
SENIOR UNDERWRITER (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 17, 2012
There was never a typical day and I guess that was what you could say was the norm. The company is known for being an innovator in the market place so we were pivoting on a daily basis to server our customer. I learned that I never want to work for someone who lacks ambition and is waiting to retire and I also learned that with the right focus and continuous communication you can evolve out of any crisis (AIG financial crisis). Company is management seems top heavy, too many EVPs, VPs and SVPs. The challenging part of the job was trying to sell a product which just suffered major brand damage. Most enjoyable part of the job was the exposure to various companies and markets.
Pros
company is innovative in its approach to accepting risk.
Cons
the company is seen by competitors as being too innovative in the industry.
I love to work there
Data modeler / Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJDecember 7, 2014
I work project to create conceptual to physical schemas OLTP DMM plan, blueprint for an data design and work on OLAP ERM. Generate graphical diagrams to drill into to view detailed metadata. Using ERwind to crystal reports.Export reports to HTML and CSV and customize report.Improve lookup transformation performance of data. Work efficiently with Session Management, Mart Administration, Security, AD via LDAP, and Model Locking. Set app roles, Data Movement sources, Naming Standards,Partitions Functions, Relationships, Validation rules, create Trigger , Workload Groups and data type standards are integrated with models and support for SQL Azure. Select objects and properties for easy editing. Set Target SQL DBMS ( Oracle, SQL Server, DB2 for LUW, MySQL, Sybase, ODBC/Generic and Default SQL Server Data type). Set key Option NOT NULL or NULL.
A global insurance company which offers a long term career.
Talent Acquisition Manager (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg ParktownNovember 12, 2012
Typical day at work: no day is the same, many challenges and rewarding to see the outcome;
What I learned: learn every day, mostly patience and to listen.
Management: must lead their people;
Co-workers: very compatible and supportive and work well in the team;
Hardest part of the job: to dismiss an employee - but it gets done in a very humane fashion;
Most enjoyable part of job: the interaction with all staff - variety of issues - problem solving and seeing staff happy and rewarded.

Dynamic global company with best practice standards. Offers global opportunities to staff.
Many challenges and fast paced working environment. Great staff, professional and hardworking.
Pros
global company - strong competitor in insurance industry
Cons
highly regulated by various legislative bodies and global office
Chaotic environment full of clicks and rumors, totally unprofessional.
First Notice of Loss Intake Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 27, 2012
Working for this company is for one who believes in looking out for themselves, and staying to themselves. Getting close to people only gets you turned on. Everyone's business gets thrown around, and it's run by a micromanagement team of "yes men", and rules are created by those who obviously have never done the job. People are underpaid coming in the door, and your success is not based on your ability and work ethic. It's based on who you befriend, and even then once you get the position, it's only if they see in you that they can use you as a personal spawn to accomplish their dirty work.
Pros
free parking, cheap beverages.
Cons
lazy people get important positions, which means the most important and vital positions have someone either with an attitude, or a phone they won't answer.
Worked as Sales Executive
Customer Sales (Former Employee) –  Dubai, DUOctober 25, 2014
Responsibilities:
• Answering calls in a prompt courteous manner.
• Communicating information clearly and accurately.
• Promote teamwork and call center success.
• Developed Work with the support team to ensure service level requirements are exceeded.
• Developed credibility and confidence with customers.
• Captured Customer information correctly and accurately.
• Assisted customers with inquiries and provided all pertinent information.
• Communicate and Coordinate with internal departments and follow up on customer interactions.
• Keep records of customer interactions and transactions i.e record details of inquiries, comments and complaints and details of actions taken.
• Recognized for delivering quality service and products and for developing loyal customers, resulting in impressive sales.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
FNOL Advisor (Current Employee) –  ChesterfieldMay 29, 2013
A typical day would be taking incoming calls and imputing motor claims, arranging repairs and recoveries quickly and completing the relevant paperwork.
The management are friendly and easy to get on with although when things had to go through multiple people things become slow. My co-workers are great, we have a nice balance of being a hard working team and social interaction.
The hardest part of my job is sometimes the most satisfying when someone is hard to please but you manage to help them and they are pleased with your work. I especially love the customers who easy to connect with and you can have a friendly yet professional interaction with.
Pros
reasonable pay, free parking
Cons
fast staff turn over
confortable chats with supervisors
Oracle Database Administrator (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 31, 2013
A typical day at work is full of fun, for the most part, oracle database administration has alot of repetitive task but i bet you it is alot of fun doing. In my career as a DBA i have learned so much from backup and recovery best practices to SQL tuning and optimization just to name a few. so far i must say i have been very lucky working with co-workers who are fun loving, entertaining and ultimately great team players. As strange as it may sound one of my most difficult moments in the job was upgrading from 10g to 11g. The fun of taking client tickets and solving their problems and then seeing the joy they have makes me fill so fulfilled.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
short dance
Productive and comfortable atmosphere inside the Call Center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAOctober 19, 2012
Daily answered inquires from claimants, medical providers, employers, lawyers, and brokers regarding a workers compensation claim.

Call Center was comfortable and not stressful because Team Leads were available when needed and was very helpful. Got to learn a lot regarding Worker's Comp insurance. Most hardest part was having to hear unfortunate situations most claimants were placed in due to not receiving their Worker's Comp benefit checks on time.

I thoroughly enjoyed working with my co-workers. We truly worked as a team.
Pros
weekly incentitives
Cons
having to monitor rest room breaks.
Great working experience
Underwriter (Former Employee) –  Berkeley Heights, New JerseyJanuary 15, 2014
Primary Underwriter for all New Business and Renewal accounts for the Accident & Health Dept. / Small Business Philadelphia and Atlanta regions respectively.
Face of AIG Small Business to the Regions
Development of business proposals for Small Business
Rated and quoted policies
Responsible for Business Travel Accident and Specialty Market accounts
Audited Underwriting Analyst
Forecasted budget
Travel with Sales Representatives on Broker calls / Sales / Customer Service
Underwriter for more complex and difficult accounts
Issuing Policies as well as rating and processing endorsements
Pros
great work enviroment
A talented, educated and versatile professional applying my experiences in multiple environments while allowing for professional growth.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  New YOrk, NYJune 5, 2012
I began my career with Chartis in 1992 as an Underwriter Assistant in the field Energy group, which handled underwriting of policies for gas, chemical, petrochemical and oil companies. Shortly after, I was promoted to an Associate Business Analyst. After additional promotions, I became a Business Analyst within the corporate Operations Group. Due to company downsizing, I was recently laid off.
Pros
christmas free lunch, dress down on last friday of each month in summer
Cons
no flex time
fun workplace and evryobody are cool
Paralegal/Claims Billing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Makati, P00July 31, 2012
Everyday is a day to look forward to at work. It is fun and everyone are really nice.
The management is cool. They are more of a leader than a boss. They get along with well wwith everyone.
Since all my team mates are of the same educational background as mine, we get to talk to with a lot of things. We share the same interest.
The hardest part of the job is you really have to use your critical thinking and decision making evryday. It is really challenging but I still can manage everything.
The most enjoyable part of it is that you learn a lot of things everyday.
Pros
flexible schedule
Job security was not a problem with this company.
BENEFITS SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJanuary 2, 2014
My typical day at work would include making sure that my clients' disability checks were properly distributed. This was very important because these checks would be their only source of income. This position has taught me how to manage and follow up on specific tasks. The hardest part of this job was to leave your assignments/feelings at the job. The most enjoyable part of my job was to hear the smile on my clients' faces when you would have their check issued immediately to them.
Pros
employee recognition and job stability
Cons
lack of enthusiasm from coworkers
Productive and Family Oriented Company
Workers Comp Claims Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 24, 2013
Over the 20 years I have learned and valued the importance of customers services, being a typical day of work solving & completed daily task assignment. I have played the roll daily as a teammate helping co-worker when needed, being a valuable role player. Hardest part of the job is leaving daily when you know there is so much more you want to do . The most enjoyable and rewarding is to know that I have achieved the best customers services and I have given 250% of my day.
Pros
benefits, work hours, and the morale
Cons
no room for growth, lack of management
Interesting Work Environment
Underwriter Assistant (Former Employee) –  Parsippany, NJAugust 7, 2012
One of the better work environments in terms of people to work with. Unfortunately due to the economic climate, the changes made were very harsh to the staff, from health care changes to staff layoffs.
The people are incredible and really can perform under intense pressure. The knowledge attained from the day to day operations is top notch. However, most times it seems as though the staff does not get the credit or reap any rewards for their hard work
Pros
lax office environment
Cons
overwhelming expectations at times, lack of training
Very Productive and enjoyable workplace with excellent benefits
CASHIER & Accounts Payable clerk (Former Employee) –  East CroydonOctober 4, 2013
typical day at work very productive always learning new things
Learned how to use banking systems, the specific job roles of a Cashier and an Accounts Payable Clerk
Management was excellent, supportive
Co-workers Supportive and great to work with
Hardest part of the job I would say more challenging Christmas and New Years Cashier job was very hectic
Most enjoyable part of the job learning new things and doing charity fund rasier days
Pros
free lunches, denim day on fridays
Cons
n/a
excellent place to work
CASHIER/ACCOUNTS PAYABLE (Former Employee) –  CroydonSeptember 25, 2013
typical day at work was always different and challenging,always learned something new on a regular basis
Management was excellent always helpful and supportive
Co-workers were easy to work with especially in a team
Hardest part of the job I wouldn't say hard but very busy month ends and Christmas

Most enjoyable part of the job was also learning how to use banking systems, the intensity of the work load I thrived on it.

Overall loved the job and workplace
Pros
free lunches, charity fund raiser days