Charles River Laboratories

Charles River Laboratories Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Negative workplace -
TEAM LEADER - GENERAL TOXICOLOGY (Current Employee), Senneville, QCNovember 21, 2014
Pros: two annual barbecues free
Cons: long hours (days of 10 hours for techs and 14, 16 hours for team leaders and coordinators). lab people are ok - 37.5 week.
Stressful relationships. Nobody trust nobody. Managers don't care about the mental and spiritual health of the team. People are obligated to do more than their scope of work (managers, team leaders working as technicians, technicians working as maintenance supporters... mandatory overtime rotations - it means, you can't choose and you can't refuse an – more... overtime: it's your time, you will do it 10 PM, 2 AM... doesn't matter! Obligated extra hour and sixth day each 2 weeks. A technician starts at about 13 CAD/ hour. A Team Leader, about 16 CAD/hour. Good health insurance (SunLife), but doesn't worth, cause they'll stole your private life completely! The culture is: "do your job even if it's not good. Who cares! Don't speak too much, don't complain and give us more for the same price". Of course there're good people as co-workers, but you never know when the pressure - from the managers - will turn them against you! – less
Very static/boring environment
IT Specialist II (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 1, 2013
Pros: very flexible
This company is frozen in the past, not willing to advance in processes.
As a research company should be more passionated and IT driven.
Old processes dominated the technology implemented.
Poor culture
IT PROGRAM DIRECTOR (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 11, 2013
Pros: proximity to home
Cons: poor culture and immature managment
A typical day consisted of dealing with politics and employees that were afraid of management due to a culture of fear that was propagated by many in management. The hardest part of the job was the culture and a constant feeling of needing to watch my back because I learned the hard way that management could not be trusted.
Pay is satisfactory.
Non Human Primate Technician (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PADecember 11, 2014
The CHOP staff is very team oriented.
Our team has earned the trust of the CHOP staff.
Our team has won awards every year.
Technician Charles River Laboratories (Former Employee), EdinburghNovember 26, 2014
It's a great place to work. Keeps you on your toes and it's a very interesting job. You work alongside some lovely people.
Lots of physical work with great benefits
Animal Barrier Technician (Former Employee), Frederick, MDNovember 3, 2014
On your feet for about 9 hours everyday. I learned a lot of laboratory terminology, as well as animal husbandry procedures. Lots of room to grow, and everyone works together very well. The barrier does get very hot and you can't get a drink unless you exit the entire barrier. The best part of the job was the paid vacation, sick time and benefits. The – more... pay wasn't bad either. – less
good experience
Animal Care Tech II, III (Former Employee), Shrewsbury, MAOctober 26, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: non
good place to work for
good management
good co-worker
good place to learn new skills
extraordinary company to be a part of
Lab Assistant II/ClinPath Tech II (Former Employee), Reno, NVOctober 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits and great people to work with
Cons: long hours at times
this was my greatest experience i my career, i learned so many things and participated in very important work that one day will make a difference in somebodys life.....
Great Place
Division Manager (Former Employee), Redfield, AROctober 8, 2014
Loved working here! Learned an emormous amount about Management and Leadership
A Great place to work for.
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee), Portage, MIOctober 3, 2014
Pros: the bennifits were great.
Cons: they closed the plant to soon.
My day was filled with things changing on the spur of the moment. I learned a lot about the product we worked with. Had I not worked here I would have never learned any of it. The hardest part of the job would be the cleaning. Required a lot of lifting and bending. The finishing end of the product was all worth it thou.
A glorified Temp Agency
Animal Care Technician (Former Employee), 210 Main Street, Cambridge, MASeptember 4, 2014
Pros: free work shoes
Cons: disorganized
Charles River Labs seems more like a staffing agency than anything else. Very unorganized. Once I finally started my job, it took over a month for me to sign up for my Benefits. It was difficult to get the issue resolved. There was very little actual training.No one seemed to know what was going on. I was told I "wasn't a good fit for the company" without – more... being told what I needed to improve upon. – less
Good pay and option for overtime
Lab Technician (Former Employee), Charleston, SCAugust 28, 2014
Pros: overtime was available
Cons: short breaks
A typical work day included prepping the lab at 6:00 am for horseshoe crabs. The horseshoe crabs are brought in and we sterilize equipment and crab for blood to be taken. The blood is transferred to the lab for further washing.
good management
Animal Care & Production Technologist (Current Employee), San Diego, CAAugust 26, 2014
flexible time. good management, good employee, free lunch
Productive workplace with devoted colleagues
Support Technician (Current Employee), Wilmington, MAAugust 12, 2014
Pros: great work enviroment
Cons: far from home
My day at Charles River would consist of watering, feeding and providing bedding for laboratory pets. I learned how to care for animals, numerous diseases in the workplace, and safety procedures. The management there was very reliable and helpful in general. I met a lot of great colleagues who I interacted with on the daily and learned a lot from about – more... work related matters and other topics. The hardest part of the job had to be carrying the enormous bags of trash to the compactors. The most enjoyable part of the job had to be taking care of the animals and socializing with my colleagues. – less
Fantastic Place of Employment
Study Coordinator II (Current Employee), Horsham, PAAugust 11, 2014
This career has suited my lifestyle and has put my education to good use. I have learned many life skills as well as expanding my knowledge in the preclinical research field.
Excellent work experience, ample opportunity
Bio-assay Services Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee), Wilmington, MAJuly 25, 2014
Pros: versitle company, healthcare, dental care, flexible hours
Cons: compensation, no room for growth
A typical day at Charles river labs varies, new projects are always coming in with different methodology. It is a constant learning environment since there are so many different types of testing and assay development within the company. Supervisors and managers are easy to communicate with, very understanding and flexible to ones needs.
Ok company
Financial Assistant / Facilities Coordinator (Current Employee), Germantown, MDJuly 21, 2014
Pros: great coworkers
Cons: unstable job security
ok company to work for. Great group of people to work with. Excellent benefits. Unstable jobs.
Good place to work.
CLINCIAL PATHOLOGY TECH II (Current Employee), Reno, NVJune 16, 2014
Benefits are great, Great people. Just not the right place for me in what I do best.
Great company
Project Coordinator/Breeding Technician (Current Employee), NEW YORKMay 12, 2014
Great Company and Great environment.

Management seems to understand the needs of employees, and work together for the customer satisfaction in all aspects of the Biomedical field.
Very rewarding
Research Technician Assistant (Current Employee), Reno NVMay 11, 2014
This is a very rewarding job, challenging and able to learn a variety of new skills

1 2 3 4 5

About Charles River Laboratories

Chickens and rats have an important part to play in Charles River Laboratories International's specialty portfolio of medical – Read more