Challenger Motor Freight Employee Reviews in Canada

not one of canada top employers
driver (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 15, 2015
many deficiencies , no preventative maintenance,bald tires, inspections due, leaking seals. and they expect the driver to wait while corrected. no respect for drivers time. must wait 20 minutes before truck problems inspected. repairs not done on time. dirty trucks and trailers. drivers don't get paid to wash them and challenger doesn't bring in any washing company. fueling of trucks is forbidden at many locations so challenger can save a nickel at expense of drivers time. you don't get paid for border crossings or most trailer switches and drops. they are one of the lowest paying in the industry. replacement trucks while yours is worked on are not available. run the other way because there is better out there! co workers are good. management contacts you sometimes by computer names,,very impersonal. best part of the job is when you are away from head office.
Pros
some new trucks
Cons
poor maintenance, no pride in fleet
Really successful company.
Truck Driver and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge OntOctober 22, 2015
For this industry Challenger has done a great job keep there staff happy and safe. They helped me advance my person skills and certificates
Cons
Cost of Living on the road
Good place to start them move somewhere else
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  OntarioSeptember 3, 2015
Drivers run away so Challenger wants to keep them by forcing new drivers to sign a one year contract.
Ch. has a a good training facilities so you can get free training there if you are smart enough and then move somewhere else.
Challenger is a good name for that company
Professional truck driver (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove,BCMarch 29, 2015
Hired as a new long-haul driver, I was plagued with breakdowns on almost every run! This was a challenge for my patience! Home time was also very unbalanced. I Cannot have a home life. Frequent breakdowns translates to loss of income. You only make decent money if you are almost always on the road AND if you have reliable trucks. It was a challenge to my patience. My last breakdown was the icing on the cake. Was left stranded for days!!
On the flipside, when things did go well (rarely) it was not bad. This job is good for someone who wants to be always on the road and doesn't mind the crazy runs at odd hours and breakdowns.
Pros
Benefit packages.
Cons
Truck reliability, communication
management is making you to really feel you are part of a team
Supply Chain Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 16, 2015
A good company to work for.
strong work ethic
lots to learn from the management
always challenging tasks
fun to work with colleagues
morning meetings to review how the team is performing
Good company, undergoing internal changes
Dispatcher/Planner (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BCFebruary 13, 2015
Staff was great to work with, Too many internal changes happening because the head off ice is back east.
Drivers and internal staff always assisted each other in the Aldergrove office.
Ocer all a fun place to work.
Great experinence driving across North America
AZ Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 7, 2014
Excellent experience in managing route destinations across North America.
Developed a greater understanding of safety and maintenance of commercial vehicle.
Enjoyed the experience of travelling to places most may not have an opportunity to visit.
Hard to be away from home for extensive periods of time.
Pros
amazing experince
Cons
work and home life unbalanced
high stresed enviornment
Driver Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge onNovember 27, 2014
learned how to manage 30 to 70 truck drivers
most keep to them selves
dealing with the stress
working with a nice team member , there are 2 teams
Pros
once done for the day someone else takes over
Cons
each day they want you to do more work
Time to move on
Driver (Current Employee) –  AldergroveAugust 1, 2014
When I first started with Challenger it was exciting, I was a new driver with a big company. The recruiter seemed very friendly and helpful, now when I walk by him he doesn't even know I'm there.

Training was excellent! They really go out of their way to make sure your ready before they put you in a truck!

Front office reception girls are wonderful, to bad they moved them in the back, at least they said hi to you when you came into the office.
The dispatchers have always treated me good, I can just imagine the stress they have to deal with, listening to all the complaints from the drivers.

The company is very saftey minded in some ways, unless it involves spending money on things the truck needs.

Drivers are all brothers, care about each other, except for a few grumpy ones.

I would love to stay with Challenger if there was room for advancment.

I have seen so many good drivers leave in the past year, it's crazy! Why wouldn't the company at least make an effort to keep them. They just don't care because they are always training a new guy.

Truck tires need to be almost bald before they will replace them.

Overall I feel like a number here, not a team player.. Not once has one of the senior staff ever asked me how I was doing. It's always me that initiates the "hello, how are you?" then you get a short almost puzzeled response of, do I know you? after 2 years of working here. There are times I feel very alone at Challenger, fortunately the other drivers are there for you when you need someone to talk too, unfortunately the conversation is mostly negative.

They provide showers
  more... and laundry, plus a kitchen to prepare food and a nicely air conditioned drivers lounge with a tv, sectionals and recliners. I am greatful for that.

The main problem with Challenger is the front office, if they cared more about the drivers and made an effort to at least see to their needs, they wouldn't have such a high turn over rate.

Moral is very low here, the drivers at Challenger just want management to tell them they matter and are valued. Challenger senior staff notices every mistake you make, but never acknowledges the good things you do. Very uncomfortable atmosphere to work in most of the time.

I am very grateful for the experience Challenger has given me and for giving me chance, but I want to be with a company that values what I have to offer, a professional minded attitude when it comes to my driving carrer.

But it's time to find a company who will at least acknowledge me as a person and not a number.
Pros
reasonable pay, keep the equipment running, reliable gas cards, you have to really screw up before they fire you. they give you time off when you need it.
Cons
no pay increases, you feel like a number, lots of waiting for loads, no room for advancment.
Started off great but didn't last.
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 6, 2014
Waiting for loads, started off with 10 speed tractor then all tractors were automatic. Big companies aren't always the best, or trustworthy. Management were cold, I was just another body in the drivers chair. A mixture of friendly and private, tried to be a team player but wasn't always received as such. Starting with long runs through Canadian Rockies, down to west coast of USA, then back to Ontario, but that was used only to keep me interested, by the end of my employment, it turned to far too many short runs across the border because many were turned down by other drivers or they weren't FAST card holders. Driving long distances.
Pros
facilities
Cons
cold management, saw me as just another number.
Great fast paced environment!
Capacity Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 22, 2014
I really enjoyed working here, the people are fantastic the job was fun, fast paced, challenging and at the same time rewarding. I learned a lot.
Pros
very involved with the community
Cons
position was eliminated
Productive and some days fun
AZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 5, 2014
A typical day would be pre-trip inspections and a lot of driving.
I've learned to write up manifests for crossing borders.
Management is fair.
Co-workers were OK to work with .
The hardest part of the job was driving for long hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the different parts of the country sides and the different parts of North America.
Pros
paid to travel
Cons
pay
One of Canada's top 50 Employers!
Rates Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 26, 2014
A typical day work included morning team meeting, On going communication internally (dept to dept) and externally (with sales, current and prospective clients), project management, rate development, data entry, aiding Accounting with billing discrepancies, etc.

I worked with a strong supporting staff, and a fine leader in our Director Of Sales.

Overall a great experience. Glad to have been part of the team.
Pros
great place to learn and grow. valuable experience moving
Cons
manager was inexperienced in dealing with his staff. unprofessional (at times) in his conduct, but vast knowledge of the business
great place
Temp (Former Employee) –  cambridge, ontarioMarch 18, 2014
a productive work environment with friendly employees. very safety consious
Pros
very friendly enviroment
Cons
a little too hot in the warehouse
productivity and work environment always busy
Logistics Office Administrator/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 23, 2014
Review what was left over from the shift before, what trucks are in the dock doors for loading and for receiving...all posted in office on board
get all orders together for picking, print pick tickets, hand them out to all workers in warehouse. Talk to supervisor regarding receiving, supervisor would take care of receiving doors.
Learned lots about the product we stored in the warehouse (American Standard), learned more of how to coordinate tasks, multitask in this fast paced environment, became better and faster at this. Hardest part of the job was when we were short handed. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that there was a great flow to the day, knowing I did a great job, all orders picked and loaded, all workers enjoyed working together.
Pros
structured breaks/lunches - structured work shifts
Cons
no job security business was lost, american standard pulled out
Fast paced environment
Senior Receivables Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, OntarioFebruary 18, 2014
Collections
Training of staff within the dept
Dealing with all members of the corporation
Maintaining credit limits/holds
Cash receipts/journal entries
Month end reporting
Good Place to Start
Customs Processing (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJune 3, 2013
Learned may customs protocols and procedures. Most enjoyed helping people to complete a task
Pros
12 hour shifts
Shipping and Receiving
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kitchener/ WaterlooMarch 12, 2013
-Shipping and receiving
-How to properly ship and receive
-Respectable Managers
-Everyone worked well together was a real team.
-Lifting tubs (hot tubs, bath tubs, ect.)
-The pay
Pros
the work place in general is very good.
Cons
nothing
All around very enjoyable place to work
Driver and Sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 4, 2013
A typical day in my job was early arrival at Toromont Cat and review the days moves with the management and then usually loading a trailer for the test cell which would require chaining and tarping and then lining up that trailer at the test cell for Toromont to test there backup power systems. I would have to say that dealing with management at Challenger and Toromont was always a great experience they were always open to new ideas that would save then time and money as well maintaining the high level of service and maintaining the highest standards in safety.
The hardest part of the job was the tarping.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction and dealings with the management and customers on a daily basis whether by phone or in person
Pros
time off for personal / family issues
Good, professional company.
Driver and company representavive. (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QCJanuary 11, 2013
A better than average trucking company, with a strong commitment to safety. Friendly. Well organized.

Like all "over-the-road" (irregular non-repeated routing), the hours are tough, though within regulated guidelines.

Somewhat outside my regular work, but a wonderful experience for a few years. I certainly got the need to drive large trucks over long distances out of my system. Glad I did it, though a non-standard career move.
Pros
camaraderie, independence once out of the yard. saw lots of two countries.
Cons
hours, boredom, being away from friends and family, rigours of driving.