Challenger Motor Freight

Challenger Motor Freight Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
high stresed enviornment
Driver Manager (Current Employee), Cambridge onNovember 27, 2014
Pros: once done for the day someone else takes over
Cons: each day they want you to do more work
learned how to manage 30 to 70 truck drivers
most keep to them selves
dealing with the stress
working with a nice team member , there are 2 teams
Time to move on
Driver (Current Employee), AldergroveAugust 1, 2014
Pros: reasonable pay, keep the equipment running, reliable gas cards, you have to really screw up before they fire you. they give you time off when you need it.
Cons: no pay increases, you feel like a number, lots of waiting for loads, no room for advancment.
When I first started with Challenger it was exciting, I was a new driver with a big company. The recruiter seemed very friendly and helpful, now when I walk by him he doesn't even know I'm there.

Training was excellent! They really go out of their way to make sure your ready before they put you in a truck!

Front office reception girls are wonderful, – more... to bad they moved them in the back, at least they said hi to you when you came into the office.
The dispatchers have always treated me good, I can just imagine the stress they have to deal with, listening to all the complaints from the drivers.

The company is very saftey minded in some ways, unless it involves spending money on things the truck needs.

Drivers are all brothers, care about each other, except for a few grumpy ones.

I would love to stay with Challenger if there was room for advancment.

I have seen so many good drivers leave in the past year, it's crazy! Why wouldn't the company at least make an effort to keep them. They just don't care because they are always training a new guy.

Truck tires need to be almost bald before they will replace them.

Overall I feel like a number here, not a team player.. Not once has one of the senior staff ever asked me how I was doing. It's always me that initiates the "hello, how are you?" then you get a short almost puzzeled response of, do I know you? after 2 years of working here. There are times I feel very alone at Challenger, fortunately the other drivers are there for you when you need someone to talk too, unfortunately the conversation is mostly negative.

They provide showers and laundry, plus a kitchen to prepare food and a nicely air conditioned drivers lounge with a tv, sectionals and recliners. I am greatful for that.

The main problem with Challenger is the front office, if they cared more about the drivers and made an effort to at least see to their needs, they wouldn't have such a high turn over rate.

Moral is very low here, the drivers at Challenger just want management to tell them they matter and are valued. Challenger senior staff notices every mistake you make, but never acknowledges the good things you do. Very uncomfortable atmosphere to work in most of the time.

I am very grateful for the experience Challenger has given me and for giving me chance, but I want to be with a company that values what I have to offer, a professional minded attitude when it comes to my driving carrer.

But it's time to find a company who will at least acknowledge me as a person and not a number. – less
Started off great but didn't last.
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: facilities
Cons: cold management, saw me as just another number.
Waiting for loads, started off with 10 speed tractor then all tractors were automatic. Big companies aren't always the best, or trustworthy. Management were cold, I was just another body in the drivers chair. A mixture of friendly and private, tried to be a team player but wasn't always received as such. Starting with long runs through Canadian Rockies, – more... down to west coast of USA, then back to Ontario, but that was used only to keep me interested, by the end of my employment, it turned to far too many short runs across the border because many were turned down by other drivers or they weren't FAST card holders. Driving long distances. – less
Great fast paced environment!
Capacity Sales Representative (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONApril 22, 2014
Pros: very involved with the community
Cons: position was eliminated
I really enjoyed working here, the people are fantastic the job was fun, fast paced, challenging and at the same time rewarding. I learned a lot.
Productive and some days fun
AZ Driver (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONApril 5, 2014
Pros: paid to travel
Cons: pay
A typical day would be pre-trip inspections and a lot of driving.
I've learned to write up manifests for crossing borders.
Management is fair.
Co-workers were OK to work with .
The hardest part of the job was driving for long hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the different parts of the country sides and the different parts of – more... North America. – less
One of Canada's top 50 Employers!
Rates Analyst (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONMarch 26, 2014
Pros: great place to learn and grow. valuable experience moving
Cons: manager was inexperienced in dealing with his staff. unprofessional (at times) in his conduct, but vast knowledge of the business
A typical day work included morning team meeting, On going communication internally (dept to dept) and externally (with sales, current and prospective clients), project management, rate development, data entry, aiding Accounting with billing discrepancies, etc.

I worked with a strong supporting staff, and a fine leader in our Director Of Sales.

Overall – more... a great experience. Glad to have been part of the team. – less
great place
Temp (Former Employee), cambridge, ontarioMarch 18, 2014
Pros: very friendly enviroment
Cons: a little too hot in the warehouse
a productive work environment with friendly employees. very safety consious
productivity and work environment always busy
Logistics Office Administrator/Customer Service (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: structured breaks/lunches - structured work shifts
Cons: no job security business was lost, american standard pulled out
Review what was left over from the shift before, what trucks are in the dock doors for loading and for receiving...all posted in office on board
get all orders together for picking, print pick tickets, hand them out to all workers in warehouse. Talk to supervisor regarding receiving, supervisor would take care of receiving doors.
Learned lots about – more... the product we stored in the warehouse (American Standard), learned more of how to coordinate tasks, multitask in this fast paced environment, became better and faster at this. Hardest part of the job was when we were short handed. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that there was a great flow to the day, knowing I did a great job, all orders picked and loaded, all workers enjoyed working together. – less
Fast paced environment
Senior Receivables Assistant (Former Employee), Cambridge, OntarioFebruary 18, 2014
Collections
Training of staff within the dept
Dealing with all members of the corporation
Maintaining credit limits/holds
Cash receipts/journal entries
Month end reporting
Good Place to Start
Customs Processing (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJune 3, 2013
Pros: 12 hour shifts
Learned may customs protocols and procedures. Most enjoyed helping people to complete a task
Shipping and Receiving
General Labourer (Former Employee), Kitchener/ WaterlooMarch 12, 2013
Pros: the work place in general is very good.
Cons: nothing
-Shipping and receiving
-How to properly ship and receive
-Respectable Managers
-Everyone worked well together was a real team.
-Lifting tubs (hot tubs, bath tubs, ect.)
-The pay
All around very enjoyable place to work
Driver and Sales (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 4, 2013
Pros: time off for personal / family issues
Cons: long hours
A typical day in my job was early arrival at Toromont Cat and review the days moves with the management and then usually loading a trailer for the test cell which would require chaining and tarping and then lining up that trailer at the test cell for Toromont to test there backup power systems. I would have to say that dealing with management at Challenger – more... and Toromont was always a great experience they were always open to new ideas that would save then time and money as well maintaining the high level of service and maintaining the highest standards in safety.
The hardest part of the job was the tarping.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction and dealings with the management and customers on a daily basis whether by phone or in person – less
Good, professional company.
Driver and company representavive. (Former Employee), Dorval, QCJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: camaraderie, independence once out of the yard. saw lots of two countries.
Cons: hours, boredom, being away from friends and family, rigours of driving.
A better than average trucking company, with a strong commitment to safety. Friendly. Well organized.

Like all "over-the-road" (irregular non-repeated routing), the hours are tough, though within regulated guidelines.

Somewhat outside my regular work, but a wonderful experience for a few years. I certainly got the need to drive large trucks over long – more... distances out of my system. Glad I did it, though a non-standard career move. – less
longhaul truckers
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONDecember 13, 2012
Pros: dedicated runs
Cons: long hours
great company to work for lots of east coast runs and home time
A great place to work with excellent people
Rate Analyst (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONDecember 1, 2012
I enjoy working for Challenger. The people and management especially look out for you and are always willing to help in regards to not just work situations, but personal as well.
MICRO MANAGING EMPLOYEES AT AN UNHEALTHY LEVEL
Customer Account Manager (Current Employee), Cambridge OntarioNovember 19, 2012
Pros: great co-workers
Cons: long hours, unhealthy level of micro management, stress, negative feedback daily, one sided meeetings where employees were not allowed to express their concerns
Submitting on time reports for Loblaws, Schneider Electric, Johnson and Johnson
Answering calls pertaining to ETA of shipments
Satellite tracking drivers to confirm on time deliveries
Working closely with driver managers to ensure drivers have all necessary paperwork for their pick-up deliveires
Emails are 500 a day that need to be sorted by customer

I – more... learned that transportation is a time sensitive indusrty and that drivers rely on the help of their internal teams.

My co-workers were supportive but unhappy.
Management NEVER acknowledged a job well done.
Each employee would receive endless negative emails daily regarding what wasn't perfomed correctly.
Minimum training and daily cristicism.

Customer Service is the unhappiest and highest turnover department in the company.

I loved working with the driver managers to ensure drivers were taken care of. I enjoyed working with my co-workers who would support and help each other daily to survive. – less
Good Company Never had a problem Getting payed
Commercial Transport Truck Driver (Former Employee), Aldergrove, BCNovember 5, 2012
Pros: lots of work
Cons: hard to get time off if you need it and they are always pusing you to go.
The reason for some of the lower mars is that I felt that Challenger sometimes pushed their Drivers a bit too hard and it takes a tole on them. There are drivers out there that hard is never hard enough, nad they are always wanting to push the limits of what they can do and this company will let you do that as long as you can keep it all legal.
Its a great place to work.
Regional Planner (Current Employee), Cambridge, ONOctober 15, 2012
Pros: great poeple to work with
Cons: tired of the office job, not enjoying what i do at the moment
start at 0600am finish at 1630pm, hardest part of the Job would be planning drivers to u.s destinations that are not attractive..i.e NYC, NJ, places where drivers dont feel safe.
Home office, good support from Sales Manager, lot's of travel, poor response time from HO
Business Development Executive (Former Employee), AlbertaOctober 10, 2012
Pros: ran your own book of business.
Cons: head office is in ontario which affected everything due to time diff.
Western Sales Manger good guy - dedicated to company. HO slow to respond to requests and inquiries. Worked from home office, travelled throughout AB for business, no day the same - depended on appointments etc. No co-workers to comment on, worked alone. Enjoyed meeting new customers, biggest negative was what I percieved as lack of "care" on behalf – more... of HO. – less
Amazing business
Long haul transport operator (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONSeptember 27, 2012
Pros: great company, good benefits, good pay
Cons: not family friendly, long hours, too long on the road
Really well structured business. But, you don't get to see home a lot or family. If you are single with no life other than work. Challenger is the place for you.