Challenger Motor Freight Employee Reviews in Canada

not one of canada top employers
driver (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 15, 2015
many deficiencies , no preventative maintenance,bald tires, inspections due, leaking seals. and they expect the driver to wait while corrected. no respect for drivers time. must wait 20 minutes before truck problems inspected. repairs not done on time. dirty trucks and trailers. drivers don't get paid to wash them and challenger doesn't bring in any washing company. fueling of trucks is forbidden at many locations so challenger can save a nickel at expense of drivers time. you don't get paid for border crossings or most trailer switches and drops. they are one of the lowest paying in the industry. replacement trucks while yours is worked on are not available. run the other way because there is better out there! co workers are good. management contacts you sometimes by computer names,,very impersonal. best part of the job is when you are away from head office.
Pros
some new trucks
Cons
poor maintenance, no pride in fleet
Amazing business
Long haul transport operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONSeptember 27, 2012
Really well structured business. But, you don't get to see home a lot or family. If you are single with no life other than work. Challenger is the place for you.
Pros
great company, good benefits, good pay
Cons
not family friendly, long hours, too long on the road
Really successful company.
Truck Driver and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Cambridge OntOctober 22, 2015
For this industry Challenger has done a great job keep there staff happy and safe. They helped me advance my person skills and certificates
Cons
Cost of Living on the road
All around very enjoyable place to work
Driver and Sales (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 4, 2013
A typical day in my job was early arrival at Toromont Cat and review the days moves with the management and then usually loading a trailer for the test cell which would require chaining and tarping and then lining up that trailer at the test cell for Toromont to test there backup power systems. I would have to say that dealing with management at Challenger and Toromont was always a great experience they were always open to new ideas that would save then time and money as well maintaining the high level of service and maintaining the highest standards in safety.
The hardest part of the job was the tarping.
The most enjoyable part of my job is the interaction and dealings with the management and customers on a daily basis whether by phone or in person
Pros
time off for personal / family issues
Cons
Good place to start them move somewhere else
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  OntarioSeptember 3, 2015
Drivers run away so Challenger wants to keep them by forcing new drivers to sign a one year contract.
Ch. has a a good training facilities so you can get free training there if you are smart enough and then move somewhere else.
Challenger is a good name for that company
Professional truck driver (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove,BCMarch 29, 2015
Hired as a new long-haul driver, I was plagued with breakdowns on almost every run! This was a challenge for my patience! Home time was also very unbalanced. I Cannot have a home life. Frequent breakdowns translates to loss of income. You only make decent money if you are almost always on the road AND if you have reliable trucks. It was a challenge to my patience. My last breakdown was the icing on the cake. Was left stranded for days!!
On the flipside, when things did go well (rarely) it was not bad. This job is good for someone who wants to be always on the road and doesn't mind the crazy runs at odd hours and breakdowns.
Pros
Benefit packages.
Cons
Truck reliability, communication
Productive and some days fun
AZ Driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONApril 5, 2014
A typical day would be pre-trip inspections and a lot of driving.
I've learned to write up manifests for crossing borders.
Management is fair.
Co-workers were OK to work with .
The hardest part of the job was driving for long hours.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing all the different parts of the country sides and the different parts of North America.
Pros
paid to travel
Cons
pay
productivity and work environment always busy
Logistics Office Administrator/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONFebruary 23, 2014
Review what was left over from the shift before, what trucks are in the dock doors for loading and for receiving...all posted in office on board
get all orders together for picking, print pick tickets, hand them out to all workers in warehouse. Talk to supervisor regarding receiving, supervisor would take care of receiving doors.
Learned lots about the product we stored in the warehouse (American Standard), learned more of how to coordinate tasks, multitask in this fast paced environment, became better and faster at this. Hardest part of the job was when we were short handed. Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that there was a great flow to the day, knowing I did a great job, all orders picked and loaded, all workers enjoyed working together.
Pros
structured breaks/lunches - structured work shifts
Cons
no job security business was lost, american standard pulled out
Started off great but didn't last.
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMay 6, 2014
Waiting for loads, started off with 10 speed tractor then all tractors were automatic. Big companies aren't always the best, or trustworthy. Management were cold, I was just another body in the drivers chair. A mixture of friendly and private, tried to be a team player but wasn't always received as such. Starting with long runs through Canadian Rockies, down to west coast of USA, then back to Ontario, but that was used only to keep me interested, by the end of my employment, it turned to far too many short runs across the border because many were turned down by other drivers or they weren't FAST card holders. Driving long distances.
Pros
facilities
Cons
cold management, saw me as just another number.
Good, professional company.
Driver and company representavive. (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QCJanuary 11, 2013
A better than average trucking company, with a strong commitment to safety. Friendly. Well organized.

Like all "over-the-road" (irregular non-repeated routing), the hours are tough, though within regulated guidelines.

Somewhat outside my regular work, but a wonderful experience for a few years. I certainly got the need to drive large trucks over long distances out of my system. Glad I did it, though a non-standard career move.
Pros
camaraderie, independence once out of the yard. saw lots of two countries.
Cons
hours, boredom, being away from friends and family, rigours of driving.
One of Canada's top 50 Employers!
Rates Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 26, 2014
A typical day work included morning team meeting, On going communication internally (dept to dept) and externally (with sales, current and prospective clients), project management, rate development, data entry, aiding Accounting with billing discrepancies, etc.

I worked with a strong supporting staff, and a fine leader in our Director Of Sales.

Overall a great experience. Glad to have been part of the team.
Pros
great place to learn and grow. valuable experience moving
Cons
manager was inexperienced in dealing with his staff. unprofessional (at times) in his conduct, but vast knowledge of the business
management is making you to really feel you are part of a team
Supply Chain Pricing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONMarch 16, 2015
A good company to work for.
strong work ethic
lots to learn from the management
always challenging tasks
fun to work with colleagues
morning meetings to review how the team is performing
Great experinence driving across North America
AZ Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 7, 2014
Excellent experience in managing route destinations across North America.
Developed a greater understanding of safety and maintenance of commercial vehicle.
Enjoyed the experience of travelling to places most may not have an opportunity to visit.
Hard to be away from home for extensive periods of time.
Pros
amazing experince
Cons
work and home life unbalanced
Good Company Never had a problem Getting payed
Commercial Transport Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BCNovember 5, 2012
The reason for some of the lower mars is that I felt that Challenger sometimes pushed their Drivers a bit too hard and it takes a tole on them. There are drivers out there that hard is never hard enough, nad they are always wanting to push the limits of what they can do and this company will let you do that as long as you can keep it all legal.
Pros
lots of work
Cons
hard to get time off if you need it and they are always pusing you to go.
Home office, good support from Sales Manager, lot's of travel, poor response time from HO
Business Development Executive (Former Employee) –  AlbertaOctober 10, 2012
Western Sales Manger good guy - dedicated to company. HO slow to respond to requests and inquiries. Worked from home office, travelled throughout AB for business, no day the same - depended on appointments etc. No co-workers to comment on, worked alone. Enjoyed meeting new customers, biggest negative was what I percieved as lack of "care" on behalf of HO.
Pros
ran your own book of business.
Cons
head office is in ontario which affected everything due to time diff.
Good company, undergoing internal changes
Dispatcher/Planner (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BCFebruary 13, 2015
Staff was great to work with, Too many internal changes happening because the head off ice is back east.
Drivers and internal staff always assisted each other in the Aldergrove office.
Ocer all a fun place to work.
A great place to work with excellent people
Rate Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 1, 2012
I enjoy working for Challenger. The people and management especially look out for you and are always willing to help in regards to not just work situations, but personal as well.
high stresed enviornment
Driver Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge onNovember 27, 2014
learned how to manage 30 to 70 truck drivers
most keep to them selves
dealing with the stress
working with a nice team member , there are 2 teams
Pros
once done for the day someone else takes over
Cons
each day they want you to do more work
longhaul truckers
Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONDecember 13, 2012
great company to work for lots of east coast runs and home time
Pros
dedicated runs
Lot of sitting.
Long Haul Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJuly 11, 2012
The hardest part of the job,"aside from backing"is the sitting.Sitting while driving from point A to point B.Sitting waiting to be unloaded,sitting in traffic.Being more active is more for me.
Pros
visiting new places, seeing the continent.
Cons
eating healthy and staying fit is difficult.