CH2M HILL

CH2M HILL Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great Company
IT Manager II / Project Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 7, 2013
CH2M Hill is a great company to work for. Many career opportunities and possibilities for advancement.
good team building among workers
Utility Worker/Operator (Former Employee), Fort Irwin, CAJuly 3, 2013
hardest part of my job was dealing with frequent emergency water line breaks ..
OK
Electrical and Instrumentation General Foreman (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 21, 2013
CH2M has huge potential in Oil and Gas. Management needs to listen to the experience in the group.
Many opportunities for advancement
Industrial Technician (Current Employee), Pasadena, TXJune 21, 2013
Decent employer, I've learned a lot about the many various forms of data acquisition to fill out. Management seems to have a very "good ol boy club" way of doing things.
A great place to work!
Project Assistant (Current Employee), Montgomery, ALJune 10, 2013
I have worked for CH2M HILL for 19 years in July. It is a great company with great benefits.
Overbearing top heavy management
Treatment Plant Operator (Current Employee), Lady Lake, FLJune 7, 2013
Pros: the economy can only get better meaning other companies will eventually be hiring.
Cons: too many to name.
I work in the operations project in The Villages, FL where there is one manager for every 10 employees. Half the time none of the employees know who to answer to and the other half of the time the managers have different ways of solving the same problem. They try to act like an exceptionally ethical company when it all comes down to the is good ol' – more... boys club. Employees are treated unequally and management is fast to throw employees under the bus. Another issue is that they want to work the hardest working employees to death for minimal wages while rewarding the biggest complainers and laziest employees with higher wages just to shut them up. – less
Great company
Corporate Accounts Payable Lead (Former Employee), Denver, COJune 3, 2013
This is a company I would work for again. They balance getting work done with making the employee feel like they are part of the companies success.
Excellent company with amazing people.
Project Safety Manager (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJune 2, 2013
Pros: honest; committed
Cons: sometimes too flexible in contract application. although this makes for happy clients, it has the potential for loss of revenue.
Working for CH2M Hill was a fantastic experience. The teams I was involved with were knowledgeable and supportive and, above all, they were always willing to offer guidance and support. As a company, CH2M Hill lives the valued they publish. Everyone from the CEO to the laborers are committed to making the company successful.
CH2M HILL CALGARY
Instrumentation Design Technician (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 31, 2013
Cons: not interested in training
I was fired by a manager who spent his last week seeing how I would react to being fired. The manager misled everyone and moved to Shell after taking a two week vacation in Florida.
Large company with personnal touch for it's employees.
Senior Civil/Transit Facility Engineer (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 30, 2013
CH2M Hill has a many opportunities to meet your professional desires.
Too big a corporation to be able to do small market projects.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 28, 2013
Pros: was there long enough for 5 weeks vacation.
Cons: management and healthcare expense.
They do not like to deal with the "mom and pop" businesses that would be beneficial to both their costs and their local economy. They would rather ship to several offices tasks that could be fully completed in one local office. Management are only concerned with their own movement up the corporate ladder and the bottom line.
Stressful Workplace
Geotechnical Engineer (Current Employee), Chantilly, VAMay 26, 2013
Pros: good compensation program and retire system; they pay overtime
Cons: you don't have time for your personal stuff; work on weekends and holidays. if you are sick, they don't care, you have to work.
A typical day of work consists of complete engineering task such as perform calculations, write a report, assist other engineer for project site and offices. You learn through the different assigned task, they put you in multiple projects. The management doesn't care about your career development, they do not care if you are facing a sick event or other – more... hard event in your live. They only care about productivity and the need of completing work. They do not back you up or help you when off time is needed. I really regret join them last year. – less
Good place to work, when work is available.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 22, 2013
Pros: good benefits. good people to work with.
Cons: not enough work.
I attained a good deal of experience on the projects I worked on. Unfortunately, there was not enough work to be billable to the necessary percentage and I was laid off. Hardest part of the job was trying to find work with other offices when we did not have work in our office. Most enjoyable were the people that I worked with. Good group.
Fun, relaxed/laid back and professional envirnonment
Accounting Specialist (Current Employee), Englewood, COMay 19, 2013
The work environment is very routine and consistent. A very steading work load. Management is very hands off. You work at your own pace without any interference from your manager. Co-workers work well together providing support when needed. There is constant communication between team for support or coverage. The hardest part of this job is remembering – more... all of the different rules and procedures for all of the companies handle in our department. The enjoyable part of job is the variety given daily. – less
Great contracts foreign and domestically.
Crew Chief (Former Employee), Durango, COMay 17, 2013
I had a great experience. I started with Pegasus out of Houston,TX. Then joined Trigon mapping and surveying, when Trigon merged with CH2MHILL.
Enginering Consultant Company that should improve in the Middle East
PM/ PMC SPE & Interface/SIMOPS Mgr (Current Employee), Abu Dhabi, AZMay 15, 2013
Enginering Consultant Company that should improve in the Middle East in management, services for the employees
Excellent place to work. Good Recognition and opportunity for growth
O&M Maintenance Asst (Former Employee), Prudhoe Bay, AKMay 14, 2013
Pros: always an opprtunity to move up
Cons: travel
If it had not been for the schedule (3 weeks on in AK then 3 weeks home in TN) I would have retired there. I very much enjoyed my work, but the travel became too much a burden and I needed to be home. Plus, it was costing over 20,000 in travel expenses to get to and from work.
You can advance if you are one of the "good 'ol boys club"
Project Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILMay 13, 2013
Pros: good training in the southern region of the us
Cons: dishonest, untrustworthy management in chicago
Started out with the company in a lower position to get my foot into the door in a supposed "Good company to work for". The management staff in the southern region will reward you and help you to progress in your career path. The management in the Chicago area will give you NO training, have high expectations....yet never explain them to you prior to – more... your delivery date, and if you are not part of the "in" crowd they will out right lie to you. I had concerns about other employees and their motives and was told not to worry about it. Management LIED to me about this, and there was some back door dealings that transpired while I was there.....ETHICAL my behind. I do not believe that when a manager tells you to "shut up" and yells at you, that gives them the reason to dicipline you later for speaking up about it. Terrible, I hated going into work because I always had to be looking over my shoulder, instead of doing my job! Left the company, and immediately was making $15K more....they pay you poorly and expect your left leg and right arm. – less
great place to work if you like to work hard and like your time off
General Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), deadhorse AKMay 7, 2013
Pros: free food!, free housing, free gear -boots, you only work half a year, very good pay
Cons: your in the frozen tundra of alaska for three weeks strait with12 hour shifts, no alcohol, its dark most of the time for night and day shift.
Out to the trucks at 630 with full gear ready to work. Change out with your day crew call your lead to know what your doing and where it is. Tackle obstacles in a safe and efficient way. Wrap up/ clean up let your day shift counterparts know where and what you did.
There are three main jobs in my department scaffolding, insulating, insulation removal/ – more... asbestos abatement. I am familiar with all of these and there safety precautions.
The management system is simple it starts with hands who do the work, leads who are responsible for the work being done and the safety of the hands that work for him, foremen who delegate work to the leads and take care of issues that are above the leads control, and supervisors who manage medical issues and serious problems between workers(rare but it happens) they keep things moving.
The workers there are literally from all over the world and almost avery age. A lot of former military and skilled laborers. Very few unlikeable guys.
The hardest part of the job is the ridicules cold. it regularly stayed at -20 to -30 iv personally worked in -75 (with wind) however it just causes a lot of problems from leaks and tools breaking to your body just hurting from the cold.
However there are enjoyable parts to the job. My favorite was building scaffolding. I really enjoyed the amount of thought and carful planing that went into the design and the accomplishment when the job was done. It was also fun to climb around where people haven't been in thirty years. – less
Good for recent grads needing practical knowledge
Current Employee (Current Employee), ColoradoMay 7, 2013
Pros: skill acquisition for recent grads
Cons: management, pay, work/life balance
That's about it. Poor management skills, you will never be paid your worth because it is contract work. Advancement opportunities are non existent unless you're ready to move. Managers are more about sucking up to clients then caring about employees under them. I don't have any good things to say about this company. Get in, acquire some skills, and – more... get out. – less

About CH2M HILL

Since its founding in 1946, CH2M HILL has been building a better and more sustainable planet—delivering challenging projects – Read more