CH2M HILL

CH2M HILL Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
An ok place to work.
Project Director (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 28, 2014
Pros: ch recognizes different lifestyles and how personal needs work for each individual
Cons: limited opportunity for advancement especially for those over the age of 50
Overall I would rate CH as 3 star company. Not the best, not the worst. Young people have a good opportunity for advancement but will hit a brick wall at some point in their career. So CH is not a good company for a long term career. Good stepping stone otherwise. As far as pay, good for younger employees and not so good for older ones. Benefits are – more... probably average. – less
Productive and Busy Project Environment
Engineer Material Contorl (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 27, 2014
My typical day was spent supporting power projects. I learn much about SP Design Tools and work process.
Great company to work for
Environmental Technician (Current Employee), Sacramento Ca.March 26, 2014
I work for CH2MHILL and enjoy it, my direct supervisors are a breeze to work with and the freedom to manage my own schedule and work life is a great thing.
productive safety and quality
General Maintenance Technician Tanks & Vessels O&M (Former Employee), Prudhoe Bay, AKMarch 20, 2014
working in the oilfield is very challenging, safety is very good high priority, lots of maintenance work long hour shift was very fun schedule of 2x2 weeks was good
Business Development is ruining this company
Substation Design Engineer (Current Employee), Denver, COMarch 19, 2014
Pros: great pay. great co-workers.
Cons: not going to get new work.
The substation design team here is outstanding. There is one person in charge of getting work that is the worst I've ever experienced. We have little to no work and he turns work down. He also blocks any of the engineers here from using their contacts to get work.
Very good company to work for
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee), Abu Dhabi, AZMarch 18, 2014
Pros: good company, nice environment
Cons: long hours
As my first Company, i find it great to work in a multicultural environments with good and supportive management.
The values, morals, and culture of CH2M HILL make an employee feel welcomed, balance, educated, and appreciated. CH2M HILL invests in their employees on many aspects, and advancement in career is highly likely. In house training sessions – more... are constantly provided at an easy access to each employee, which ensures success for any individual. – less
CH2M Hill is a great company to work for. They provide a very professional atmosphere with quality being their focus..
Senior HVAC/Plumbing Designer (Former Employee), Spartanburg, SCMarch 17, 2014
Pros: very friendly work atmosphere and knowlegable people.
Cons: their healthcare provider was difficult to work with.
I would still be with CH2M Hill, but a client decided to hold off on a major project (60% of the office was asigned to this project). Due to the engineering workplace being flat for now, it was hard for them to maintain the staff.
One for the record books
Interview (Former Employee), Marietta, GAMarch 14, 2014
Pros: talking to the security guards, very professional
Cons: top heavy, government contractor, like most
Lab Analyst position has been posted for 6 months. Went to interview and the Interviewer was very unprofessional. Possible mental issues. Small laboratory. When I tried to explain why I was on the premises but 20 minutes late trying to find the building. I was immediately interrupted and told " I don't want to have a conversation on why you were late". – more... When I was pickup up by interviewer and taken to the building it was like I was talking to a wall. No people skills. After interview was over instead of taking me back to where I was picked up, interviewer took me the equivalent of 50 yard line in parking lot and said I will be interviewing other candidates. The interview did tell me they needed to use some of their vacation before they lost some time.... (Bad picture if you ask me.) Maybe this only happens at the Marietta facility...

Morale of the story.. When you see a job posted repeatedly over a 6 month period. Danger!!! – less
Great place to work for a not so great salary
Structural Engineer II (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAMarch 10, 2014
The job overall was very rewarding and I learned a lot, however, I was paid at least 10-15% below other PE's with similar skills and job descriptions and I felt like I was taking on increasing responsibility without any decent pay increase.
Everything about CH2MHILL was great
Data Management Specialist I (Former Employee), Edwards AFB, CAMarch 9, 2014
Pros: everything
Working for CH2MHILL I was in environmental management. What a great place & company to work for. The higher Anarchy were very good to their employee's. They recognized us as much as they did themselves. I met so many wonderful people & learned so much from working with them.
Good Company
Civil Design Technician for CH2M HILL (Current Employee), Wakefield / NormantonMarch 6, 2014
Pros: flexi-time contract
Cons: no scope of personal development
Very forunate to have a job which is very specialized at such an early point in my career.

However internal progression seems few and far between for a recent graduate within the contract i am working in.

i am contracted to 38 hours per week, although i work over 40 most weeks and log the excess as flexi-time which i can take off when i chose, which – more... is a real bonus in balancing a good work/life balance

I have learned a vast amount of knowledge into all aspects of highway engineering in the year i have worked at the country.

My work colleagues are very friendly and helpful and we all strive to deliver projects on time and under budget which makes the work place very enjoyable for me, and the team.

The hardest part of the job is that some schemes can be repetetive, but this is mainly down to the needs of the client at that time and the allocated work load towards the end of the financial year.

The most enjoyable part of the job is having the opportunity to visit the site and to see the projects you design come to life. – less
Very Professional & Promote from within
Lead Project Planner (Current Employee), YorkMarch 4, 2014
Pros: great people & ambitious
Great atmosphere, Company very ambitious and always growing.
Never good enough regardless of Performance
Project Assistant (Current Employee), Robinson Township, PAFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: 401k
Cons: managers, no hr, lack of commitment to promises
If you want to find a job that offers experience but no advancement then this is the place for you to work. You are promised advancement time after time but when you achieve those goals, you are faced with more steps and ridicule. There is absolutely no HR department so when you have a concern, you are forced to address them with the exact people that – more... are at the stem of the issues. You are trained and then thrown under the bus when the training doesn't work for each individual project. Their benefits are over priced and minimal. They expect suggestions on improvement and then you are told you are lucky to have a job. I had high expectations for this company but have been let down every step of the way. Unless you are friends with the right person, you will not get any further then a Non-Manager position regardless of your performance or ability to out perform. You are also given yearly reviews that are nothing more than a chance for the mangers to knit pick every little thing. Reviews are setup to have your peers review your performance and after 2 years of receiving outstanding reviews, manager still has every excuse why I am not getting promoted to the next level of my position. This may sound like a bitter employee but the feeling is mutual among 95% of the employees currently working with the company. I was told that I don't make myself available enough to the team after committing 60+ hours a week so I took the initiative to go to team members to offer help and then I was told I am not at my desk enough. This company is a lose lose situation, no matter what your performance or commitment is for your career. I was told the company is flexible but that is just not the case unless you want to hear the complaints about having a life outside of work, like kids, doctor appointments, etc. – less
Great employee owned company to work for with integrity and values consistent with my personal value system
Senior Project Control Engineer (Lead Scheduler) (Current Employee), Santa Ana, CAFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: salary and the people
Cons: healthcare benefits
Typical day evolves around meetings with project managers and executives, providing technical expertise on all issues related to schedule delays and claims avoidance.

The hardest part of the job is educating managers on the best practices and principles of the utilization of CPM within the construction industry.

The most enjoyable part of the job – more... is being sought thoughout the program for my recommendation on critical issues. – less
Great Company
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee), Dallas,TXFebruary 20, 2014
Flexible schedule.
Great Boss and coworkers
Great opportunities.
Cool experience, learned a lot
Utility Worker (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, GAFebruary 20, 2014
Pros: long lunchbreak, day shift, co workers, benefits
Cons: management, contract job, at times confusing of company goals.
CH2MHILL was a good company as far as promoting teamwork. I learned to excel in operating all types of equipment. It was an outside work environment. We had to work in all types of environment extreme, cold, rain and winds.
Same as previous entry.
MANAGER LOGISTIC (Former Employee), Fort Polk, LaFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: still able to support the military.
Cons: contract ended, awarded to urs.
First position after separation from active duty. Able to adjust from active military to private citizen.
Fun place to work as an intern
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 16, 2014
1)HIGHLY EXPERIENCED TEAM
2)VERY HELPING CO-WORKERS
3) PROGRESSIVE WORKING ENVIRONMENT
4) FAST GROWTH WITHIN THE COMPANY
Tough Work
Scaffold Technician (Former Employee), Prudhoe Bay, AKJanuary 19, 2014
Pros: free room and board
Cons: away from home
Being a laborer you do many different types of jobs, I focused on scaffold work. The people I worked around were great and knew the trade very well. Doing any labor for 12 hours a day gets tiresome but other trades and co-workers were great in helping out.
Great firm - huge global opportunities
Senior Environmental Scientist/ Project Manager (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJanuary 17, 2014
Everyone is empowered at CH2M HILL. Huge global opportunities to work on some of the largest infrastructure projects in the world.

About CH2M HILL

Since its founding in 1946, CH2M HILL has been building a better and more sustainable planet—delivering challenging projects – Read more