Reports to: Regional Manager
Location: Lower Mainland, BC
Summary: The work consists of performing specific functions and procedures in obtaining representative samples used in determining the quantity, general condition, and grade of cargo. The work of the sampler affects the accuracy and reliability of the final determinations and certificates issued by the company. Since commodities are traded based on quantity, and quality the samplers work affects the financial interests of buyers, sellers, shippers, receivers or any other persons or groups having an economic interest in the product.
The work involves on the job training in one or more of the following inspection functions and or sampling activities:
- Studies and reviews the official standards, regulations, manuals and other instructional materials regarding sampling coal, metals, minerals, fertilizer and other industrial cargos.
- Receives on the job training in the correct methods for drawing representative samples from lots of commodities;
- Under supervision, Inspects the general condition of the automated sampling plants used in obtaining representative samples;
- Under supervision, records on standard forms, information as to kind, quality, and condition of cargo loaded to the vessels and or received into terminal storage (piles);
- Under supervision, samples the cargo loaded to the vessel and aids in the reduction, preparation, and distribution of the samples to third party laboratories;
- Assists in the cleaning of the sampling areas, sampling plant and related work areas.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- The applicant should have or be willing to obtain a valid WHIMs (workplace hazardous materials handling certificate) certificate;
- A Science background with mathematical aptitude are preferred
- Possesses the ability to work together as team and independently;
- Good communication skills
- Maintain a high level of integrity in the work performed
- Available for evening and weekend shifts
- Post Secondary Degree or Diploma, preferably in Science is an asset
- 1-2 years experience in Marine Inspection is preferred
- Valid class 5 BC Drivers License with clean abstract
- Ability to lift up to 20kg (50lbs)
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions
- Ability to stand/walk/sit for long periods of times (up to 12 hours)
- Ability to climb stairs
- Manual dexterity for repetitive tasks (computer keyboard, mouse, writing)
Indeed - 13 months ago
copy to clipboard
The Certispec Group of companies is pleased to be able to offer independent marine surveying, inspection, sampling and laboratory testing...