Certispec Services Inc - Port Moody, BC
The Certispec Group of Companies, with headquarters in Port Moody, B.C., offers independent services to various key industries around the world. Our objective is to manage and mitigate risk on behalf of our clients by conducting impartial assessments of goods during custody transfers as well as providing marine technical services which includes vessel inspection. The product of our services is the Certispec Certificate of Inspection which provides an accurate record of the quantity, quality, condition, and performance of the items and commodities being inspected. For more information please visit www.Certispec.com
We Are Currently Recruiting for:
LOCATION: Lower Mainland
The work is performed at various ports/terminals in the Port of Vancouver on behalf of Certispec Services. The incumbent is responsible for transportation to and from the work site(s) and may be required to operate a motor vehicle on official business.
The work involves on the job training in one or more of the following inspection functions and or sampling activities:
- Studies and reviews the official standards, regulations, manuals and other instructional materials regarding sampling coal, metals, minerals, fertilizer and other industrial cargos.
- Receives on the job training in the correct methods for drawing representative samples from lots of commodities;
- Under supervision, Inspects the general condition of the automated sampling plants used in obtaining representative samples;
- Under supervision, records on standard forms, information as to kind, quality, and condition of cargo loaded to the vessels and or received into terminal storage (piles); * Under supervision, samples the cargo loaded to the vessel and aids in the reduction, preparation, and distribution of the samples to third party laboratories;
- Assists in the cleaning of the sampling areas, sampling plant and related work areas.
Certispec Services Inc.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- The applicant should have or be willing to obtain a valid WHIMs (workplace hazardous materials handling certificate) certificate;
- A Science background with mathematical aptitude are required
- Possesses and maintains a valid class 5 BC drivers license;
- Possesses the ability to work together as team and independently;
- Good communication skills
- Maintain a high level of integrity in the work performed
- Assignments deal with a variety of clients, products, procedures and equipment. The work and scope of duties will vary according to the nature of the assignment.
- The volume and speed of loading operations determines the amount of work and the variation of the procedures required.
- The employee selects the appropriate methods depending on the nature of each assignment
SCOPE AND EFFECT
- The work consists of performing specific functions and procedures in obtaining representative samples used in determining the quantity, general condition, and grade of cargo. The work of the sampler affects the accuracy and reliability of the final determinations and certificates issued by the company. Since commodities are traded based on quantity, and quality the samplers work affects the financial interests of buyers, sellers, shippers, receivers or any other persons or groups having an economic interest in the product.
- Phases of the work require moderate physical demands. Obtaining samples could involve climbing stairways, access ladders, climbing railcars and stockpiles, and climbing into and out of ships holds. The lifting of sample buckets and samples in excess 50 lbs is common place.
Certispec Services Inc.
- The work involves regular and recurring work at all hours of the day or night. The work duties are performed in an industrial environment and some work is conducted exposed to the elements (outside) under varying weather conditions.
- Shift work is a part of the position. Day shifts, Afternoon shifts, and Graveyard shifts. Employees can expect to work Graveyard shifts as much as 50% of the time.
- The employee must continually endeavour to conduct themselves in a safe manner and take necessary safety precautions if and when exposed to hazards.
- As our work is dependent on the schedule of the vessels that call on the Port of Vancouver, the dispatching of work can be varied as to time and frequency.
- The successful applicant should have a mobile telephone to aid and assist the company in dispatching and scheduling the employee for work.
PLEASE NOTE THAT CERTISPEC SERVICES, INC. OPERATES 24/7 AND WILL REQUIRE DAY, AFTERNOON AND GRAVEYARD SHIFT WORK INCLUDING WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS
To apply to this position, please submit your resume by July 1, 2014 Cargo Inspector in subject lineq