Through innovation and creative product design, CertainTeed has helped shape the building products industry for more than 100 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Company, the firm made its slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," which quickly inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed is North America's leading brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, foundations, pipe, insulation, gypsum, ceilings and access covers.
Headquartered in Valley Forge, Pa., CertainTeed and its affiliates have more than 7,000 employees and more than 70 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. In 2007 the group had consolidated sales of more than $3 billion.
CertainTeed is a subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, the world's largest supplier of building materials. Based in Paris, Saint-Gobain has more than 207,000 employees worldwide and had sales of $59.5 billion in 2007. The company has approximately 24,000 employees throughout the United States and Canada.
The Production Supervisor is a member of the Production Team reporting directly to the Production Manager. Peers include the Maintenance Planner, Maintenance Supervisors, Lab Technician, and the Warehouse/Customer Service Supervisor. The Production Supervisor is accountable and responsible for managing departmental safety, environmental controls, development of production employees, plant production including quality control, protection of equipment, and departmental cost controls. Participation with other departments to develop and/or analyze strategies to achieve Plant and Corporate objectives including, but not limited to safety, productivity, costs, quality, and customer service.
- Through application of the VMVO (Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives), provide general direction to all departmental employees
- Manage and develop production employees to achieve established goals of safety, environmental performance, production volume, quality, service, and cost. Ensure that all employees know what is required and how the department rates relative to what is required ("know the goal and know the score")
- Engage production employees to ensure they are informed and have the opportunity to participate in WCM and other continuous improvement efforts
- Ensure production employees are properly oriented and trained
- Develop and implement continuous improvement within departmental employees' performance through regular feedback, coaching and training
- Ensure that the department complies with legislation, regulations, Company policies and the Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Support and drives World Class Manufacturing activities. Ensure that the AM pillar develops and sustains.
- Through coordination with other departments, ensure production of drywall occurs in a manner such that shipments meet customer requirements (on-time, on-spec etc.)
- liaisons with third party contractors and suppliers to meet Plant equipment and/or repair needs
- Review, analyze and make recommendations regarding safety, environmental performance, quality, expenses, productivity, and customer feedback
- Develop and/or implement departmental reporting as required
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Technical degree and/or demonstrated and related equivalent experience
- Sound knowledge and demonstrable success of providing leadership in a unionized environment
- 5-10 years manufacturing experience leading people
- Effective team builder with demonstrated abilities
- Proven history or directing and coordinating business direction
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate all levels of personnel
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly motivated and self-directed
PREFERRED OR DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Functional/Technical Skills - Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to manufacture all drywall product types at a high level of performance
- Managing and Measuring Work - Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; Sets clear objectives and measures; Monitors processes, progress and results; Designs feedback loops into work.
- Drive for Results - Bottom-line oriented; Steadfastly pushes self and others for results; Can be counted on to meet and exceed goals successfully.
- Developing Direct Reports and Others - Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; Holds frequent development and feedback discussions; Understands each persons goals and ambitions; Constructs compelling development plans and executes them; Pushes people to accept developmental moves, takes on those who need help and further development; Is a people builder.
- Directing Others - Good at establishing clear directions and ensuring they are understood; Lays out work in a well-planned and organized manner; Maintains two-way dialogue with others on work and results.
- Building Effective Teams - Defines success in terms of the whole team, shares wins and successes; Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; Lets people finish and be responsible for their work.
- Problem Solving - Looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers; Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; Probes all fruitful sources for answers, can see hidden problems and is excellent at honest analysis.
- Informing - Provides the information people need to know to do their jobs and to feel good about being a member of the team, department or Company; Provides individuals with timely information so that they can make accurate decisions.
- Presentation Skills - Is effective in a variety of formal presentation settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, with peers, direct reports, and bosses; Is effective both inside and outside the Company, on both cool data and hot and controversial topics; Commands attention and can manage group process during the presentation; Can change tactics midstream when something isn't working.
- Total Work Systems - Seeks to reduce variance in processes; Is committed to continuous improvement through empowerment and management by data; Open to suggestion and experimentation (don't re-invent the wheel); Willing to re-engineer process from scratch (re-invent the wheel where necessary); Creates a learning environment which leads to the most efficient and effective work processes.
- Sizing Up People - After reasonable exposure, can articulate the strengths and limitations of people inside or outside the organization; Is a good judge of talent; Can accurately project what people are likely to do across a variety of situations.
Participation in controlling the production department budget.
Reporting to the Production Supervisor are the hourly positions of Front End Loader Operator, Edgerman, Paperman, Senior Take-off Dryer Operator, Take-off Stacker Operator, Reliefman and Production Forklift Operator. The Supervisor may also direct the Dunnage Machine Operator, Maintenance and Warehouse personnel in certain circumstances (overtime, weekends etc).
This position requires infrequent travel and may require overtime shifts depending on the circumstance.
In addition to traditional office based tasks, the Production Supervisor must be able to observe all areas of the Plant requiring climbing, walking, light lifting etc.
Interested candidates should click on the link below and apply directly online.
Please select Reference Code CT8809 in the REF.CODE drop down box and press search. After selecting the Job Title press Apply on the bottom of the page to proceed to the application site.
You will need to register as a new user.
Please Note: Due to the thorough nature of the recruitment process, we appreciate your patience. We thank all interested applicants; only those considered for interviews will be contacted.