Position Title: Ethnicity Catering Assistant Cook (Casual)
Posting Number: 13-003
The Centre for Newcomers is an Alberta leader in providing settlement and career services to immigrants. Ethnicity Catering is a unique program operated by the Centre for Newcomers that supports highly barriered newcomers, primarily women, to integrate and settle in Calgary and gain experience through classroom training and working in a real commercial kitchen.
The Role: The Ethnicity Catering Assistant Cook (Casual) is responsible to support the Ethnicity Catering kitchen staff in delivering quality food in response to customer orders. The Assistant Cook (Casual) will follow food industry processes and standards in ensuring orders are filled in a timely, food-safe, and accurate manner. The Assistant Cook (Casual) will also assist in supporting trainees to be functional in the kitchen in collaboration with kitchen staff. The position reports to the lead cook. The position requires flexible hours for evenings and weekends/orders.
- Providing full cooperation to the Cook on duty to ensure the highest level of production
- Reviewing the orders and ensuring a clear understanding of the order
- Preparing and cooking Ethnicity Catering menu items as per customer orders and other items as requested by the Coordinator
- Following safety procedures required for food handling work, time and cost efficiency process
- Instructing and supporting program participants as required in preparation, cooking, garnishing and presentation of food, as well as food safety procedures
- Adhering to, the Standard Operating Procedures in the kitchen
- Communicating with Ethnicity Catering Program Assistant through the ordering and monitoring of supplies
- Respond to customer inquiries about orders as required
- Working toward Diploma or certificate in cooking/food preparation or equivalent experience
- Alberta Food Safety certificate or ability to take and pass the course
- Excellent planning skills for timely preparation of orders
- Demonstrated skills in food preparation
- Good communication skills in a cross-cultural context
- Good attention to detail and accuracy
To apply, please forward your cover letter & resume quoting the posting 13-003 to:
Posting opens 12/2/2013 and is ongoing.
Thank you for your interest. Only candidates short-listed will be contacted.
The Centre for Newcomers is a place where newcomers to Canada find connections in Calgary.
Making a positive difference in the lives of...