CICS is a not-for-profit organization with a vision to empower immigrants in settling and integrating as contributing members of Canadian society through diverse, professional and innovative services. Our mission is to enable immigrants to fully integrate, participate and contribute to all spheres of Canadian Society. Our success stems from our core values of Cultural diversity, Integrity, Compassion and Solidarity. Our workforce culture is bounded by five key elements, they are: Client Focus / Respect for Diversity; Accountability / Performance Excellence; Initiative; Efficiency / Commitment; and Teamwork.
Ref.: 23B-13/Worker I
Job Title: Settlement Worker (until March 28, 2014)
Hours: 24.5 hours per week; required to work irregular hours,
evenings, weekends and holidays
Salary: $38,700 - $49,464 per annum, pro-rata
- To provide assessment, information and orientation services to newcomers to facilitate adjustment in the community and the settlement process;
- To provide and support newcomers the information about resources and services in the community;
- To work closely with library staff in program planning and implementation;
- To facilitate access to needed referrals and appropriate services in the community where there are barriers due to language, culture and race;
- To establish and maintain contact with newcomers to determine their needs and issues;
- To outreach to the community and promote the partnership newcomer services with public library;
- To promote culturally sensitive links between newcomers and community;
- To plan, organize and implement group sessions on topics related to settlement;
- To keep the team updated on all new information and be cooperative in maintenance of information by tracking government and community resources in order to effectively inform and refer clients:
- To establish and maintain excellent service quality for clients:
- To keep and maintain clients records in a timely and professional manner;
- To prepare and submit accurate and timely statistical and progress reports as required;
- To establish and maintain excellent working relationship and communication with internal and external groups.
Qualification and Requirements:
- Canadian University degree or equivalent, in Social Sciences or related discipline, and at least one year of related work experience;
- Good understanding of cultural and social background of immigrants and refugees;
- Good understanding of settlement and integration issues of newcomers and immigrant families in general;
- Excellent knowledge of government and community resources;
- Skilled in program organization and community outreach;
- Excellent communication, inter-personal and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and Tamil;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment;
- Ability to work with MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint applications;
- Certified Information and Referral Specialist (CIRS) an asset;
- Flexible; willing to work some evenings and/or weekends;
- Willing to travel between community locations within Toronto;
- Valid driver license and use of car preferred;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Proof of a “Vulnerable Sector Screening”.
All applications should reach CICS by 5:00 pm on September 13, 2013. Applicants should quote Job #23B-13 Settlement Worker and address the covering letter to:
Centre for Information and Community Services
2330 Midland Avenue
Toronto ON M1S 5G5
CICS is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all who will have responded to this posting. Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone enquiries please.
CICS is a not-for-profit organization with a vision to empower immigrants in settling and integrating as contributing members of Canadian...