Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Employee Reviews

love my job
Admitting and Locating Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 August 2017
Love my job, my co-workers and the Management staff. Just too far away from home. Long distance travelling everyday. Love working and helping our clients.
Excellent place to work. Lots of support.
Volunteer - Social Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 August 2017
I volunteered at CAMH and I had plenty of support from the Social Workers so I could support the clients. I normally accompanied my clients to do activities that they enjoyed and supported them that way.
Pros
Good support from Social Workers
Client Centered Care
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2017
I really enjoyed working in the acute care unit at CAMH. There's a program that i had the privilege to be a part of which is called Prevention and Management of Aggressive Behaviour where we are taught trauma informed care and how to manage aggressive behaviour in the most dignified manner.
Cons
Short Staff
Great Place to Work
Recreation Therapist & PMAB Coach (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 June 2017
Lots of opportunities for growth, you can move up within the organization and to different program.s There are also lots of opportunities for education and workshops.
IT Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 April 2017
CAMH is a great place to work - the culture is open and fun, but equally professional (and even academic, if you so choose!). Located right downtown, the campus is close to many amenities and TTC - making it easy to get to work.
Friendly supportive team that works well together
Department Secretary (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 May 2016
CAMH is an inclusive and caring hospital that has wonderful teams that really go out of their way to help the patient's who come to us for help. It makes working here very rewarding because you know that you are helping to make someone's life better. The staff are friendly and willing to go the extra mile to help each other. We have pot luck breakfasts or lunches just to build team spirit and often have after work gatherings for those who can attend. The management is always willing to listen to your ideas about how to make yours and others work life easier. They encourage growth and learning and the open environment allows for easy communication for good and bad reasons welcome. With the types of patient's that we have to encounter varying largely when a difficult situation arises management and the whole team are there to support you and make sure you are taking care of yourself as well. One of the most enjoyable parts of the job is that there is never a dull day and you never know what to expect from one day to the next.
Comprehensively complex and invigorating workplace. High level of personal satisfaction.
Nursing Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
Twelve hour shifts as nursing student, however staff work in 8 hour rotations. Amazing co-workers and immaculate team cohesion of multiple disciplines. Charge nurse and MDs proficient in effective management. Co-workers display a high level of respect to every individual, high levels of competency.
Clients are in their most vulnerable states, and their levels of fear may be a barrier to care.
High level of personal satisfaction.
Meaningful and Rewarding Work
Program Assistant-GPU/ACU, ED (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 March 2016
*coworkers are great
*hardest part of job is putting people in mechanical restraints
*most enjoyable part of job is connecting with patients and providing support
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Shift work
Great Organization
Administrative Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 March 2016
This company went above and beyond for their employees, patients and external stakeholders.

It was a privilege to work with such a commendable group of people (staff) doing extraordinary projects that lead to a better and healthier community as a whole.
Pros
Great leadership mentors. Fantastic staff. very curtious members on the board.
A welcoming atmosphere.
Panel Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 March 2016
I enjoyed working at CAMH. I felt that it was an interesting and learning experience. And my feedback was greatly appreciated.
Pros
I liked how organized they were.
Cons
Not enough hours of work.
Camh
Research Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2016
It was a very good experience. The staff were friendly and really helped me out when I had any questions. People were courteous, friendly, warm and approachable. I recommend it to anybody who wants to start out!
No wonder its the number one cancer hospital in Canada
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 December 2015
One of the most well-organized institutions I have worked at. Would recommend it to anyone who is considering an opportunity here.
Inclusive and passionate staff, people love to work here.
Research Analyst 2 (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 July 2015
Great place to work. When people get a job at CAMH they often stay for a long time. It's very hard to leave. People are happy to work here and enjoy their jobs which makes it a very enjoyable work environment. There are some bothersome bureaucratic policies but those are expected at a hospital/research facility.
Healthcare
Needs Knowledge Translation Focus
Strong Union
Micromanagement of professionals
Addiction Therapist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 June 2015
CAMH has taken to hiring managers for clinical programmes who have no clinical experience but are great with completing excel spreadsheets. If you yourself have a mental health issue they are not supportive and are sometimes quite cruel. Many staff are stressed and feel no agency over their work environment. Saying no is not an option.
Pros
Decent salary
GPU nursing
Clinical Experience (Former Employee) –  250 College St Toronto, ON27 April 2015
As nursing students we followed one client for the day and assisted in their care along with the RN. We took part in various activities that happened during the day; e.g., yoga, community walk and group therapy.
A good place to learn and gain health sector knowledge
Business Intelligence Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario9 March 2015
A good place to learn and gain knowledge about Ontario hospitals and community sectors specially LHIN Local Health Integrated Network)
Pros
An opportunity to learn Ontario health sector finding and business knowledge
Cons
A very tight project deadlines
Excellent rehabilitation environment and an overall excellent placement experience
College Placement Student (Former Employee) –  1001 Queen St. West Toronto, ON26 February 2015
During my placement at CAMH in Toronto I was a Behaviour Therapist placement student. I was placed through my Behavioural Science Technology program at George Brown College to assist with behavioural programming, design and implement a reduction program, and work as a member of an inter-professional team to provide the best overall rehabilitation services to forensic patients dealing with mental health issues. I had the opportunity to work with an excellent team of Nurses, Occupational, Behavioural and Recreational Therapists, Dietitian's, Social Workers and Psychiatrists. This was an overall excellent learning experience.
Great place
Patient Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2014
I'm just volunteering here, but it's great. A fun environment with lots of support.
Great
Administration Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2014
Great people. Great work environment. Opportunities for further education and occupational support.