Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Challenging and diverse
Social Support Worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2014
Fun working with youth, very rewarding to teach and set example for vulnerable young people
Excellent Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), TorontoJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: old offices/computers
Lovely people
challenging work environment
excellent rewards
Very productive environment, gratifying and ideal for individuals seeking substantial research experience
Research Assistant Internship (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: not being hindered from broadening your learning experience
A typical day at the CAMH is often busy and your time well utilized. I was able to contribute to the regulatory applications process using what I had learned in the CRA program - the practical experience allowed me to gain insight into the reality of grant proposals, which is a huge plus for a research assistant since that quality is a major aspect – more... of being a Research Associate/Coordinator. Database creation, database maintenance/entry/checking and maintaining CRFs were also tasks attended to on a regular basis, which again, is a another major plus for an aspiring CRA/CRC. – less
Interesting projects, however, poor management
Business Analyst (Former Employee), toronto, onJuly 27, 2013
Pros: interesting projects
Cons: management, can be unprofessional
Projects can be interesting.
Management: Business analysts typically report to project managers, this type of setup calls for a power authority by PM's and a hierarchical relationship rather than fostering of a healthy team environment. Some management lack adequate training on how to deal with their direct reports and in my experience I found that – more... the style was very paternalistic rather than a healthy relationship based on trust, respect of BA as a team member as well as lack of managers role to foster creativity and utilize/grow individuals talent. BA's are considered worker bee's (do what you are told) rather than respected team members. This can be detrimental not only to the individuals growth but to the teams growth as well impediment to the success of projects. In essence, BA's are not considered professionals with experience. This observation may not represent all PM's and/or other managers at CAMH.
Director level individuals are approachable and ready to listen to feedback and implement improvements.
Interesting observations: Was surprised to find political nuances at deep levels in this organization. It can affect productivity and talent stumper for those caught up in it.
Overall experience has been quite negative at a professional level in this organization. Not certain if it is a very good place for a BA to have positive professional experience, learn and grow. – less
the most enjoyable part of the job
Maintenance Generalist (Operating Engineer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2012
Trouble shooting equipment problem and fixing the problem.
Worked at the Centre for 20 years and worked with many wonderful people.
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2012
Pros: good salary and benefits.
Cons: five hours of travelling per day to get to work.
The thing I enjoyed most about my job is my wonderful co-workers and meeting clients from all walks of life. My position could be challenging and difficult at times, but always rewarding at the end of the day. Understanding client needs and having compassion has really taught me invaluable lessons.
Worst place I ever worked
Housekeeping (Former Employee), College Str.May 27, 2014
Pros: salary, benefits
Cons: harassment, discrimination
Considering the fact that this is a Government sponsored and regulated facility, and unionized, this is the worst place to work.
There is no respect for the person. I have been harassed, discriminated and humiliated for the entire period I worked there. I was relieved when they let me go on false pretexts.

About Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

The Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH) is Canada's largest mental health and addiction teaching hospital, as well as – Read more