Centre for Addiction and Mental Health

Centre for Addiction and Mental Health Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Comprehensively complex and invigorating workplace. High level of personal satisfaction.
Nursing Student (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
Twelve hour shifts as nursing student, however staff work in 8 hour rotations. Amazing co-workers and immaculate team cohesion of multiple disciplines. Charge nurse and MDs proficient in effective management. Co-workers display a high level of respect to every individual, high levels of competency.
Clients are in their most vulnerable states, and their levels of fear may be a barrier to care.
High level of personal satisfaction.
Meaningful and Rewarding Work
Program Assistant-GPU/ACU, ED (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 28, 2016
Pros: Great learning experience
Cons: Shift work
*coworkers are great
*hardest part of job is putting people in mechanical restraints
*most enjoyable part of job is connecting with patients and providing support
Great Organization
Administrative Professional (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 18, 2016
Pros: Great leadership mentors. Fantastic staff. very curtious members on the board.
This company went above and beyond for their employees, patients and external stakeholders.

It was a privilege to work with such a commendable group of people (staff) doing extraordinary projects that lead to a better and healthier community as a whole.
A welcoming atmosphere.
Panel Member (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 14, 2016
Pros: I liked how organized they were.
Cons: Not enough hours of work.
I enjoyed working at CAMH. I felt that it was an interesting and learning experience. And my feedback was greatly appreciated.
Camh
Research Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2016
It was a very good experience. The staff were friendly and really helped me out when I had any questions. People were courteous, friendly, warm and approachable. I recommend it to anybody who wants to start out!
No wonder its the number one cancer hospital in Canada
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 3, 2015
One of the most well-organized institutions I have worked at. Would recommend it to anyone who is considering an opportunity here.
Inclusive and passionate staff, people love to work here.
Research Analyst 2 (part-time) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJuly 8, 2015
Great place to work. When people get a job at CAMH they often stay for a long time. It's very hard to leave. People are happy to work here and enjoy their jobs which makes it a very enjoyable work environment. There are some bothersome bureaucratic policies but those are expected at a hospital/research facility.
Healthcare
Needs Knowledge Translation Focus
Strong Union
Micromanagement of professionals
Addiction Therapist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 15, 2015
Pros: Decent salary
CAMH has taken to hiring managers for clinical programmes who have no clinical experience but are great with completing excel spreadsheets. If you yourself have a mental health issue they are not supportive and are sometimes quite cruel. Many staff are stressed and feel no agency over their work environment. Saying no is not an option.
GPU nursing
Clinical Experience (Former Employee), 250 College St Toronto, ONApril 27, 2015
As nursing students we followed one client for the day and assisted in their care along with the RN. We took part in various activities that happened during the day; e.g., yoga, community walk and group therapy.
A good place to learn and gain health sector knowledge
Business Intelligence Consultant (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioMarch 9, 2015
Pros: An opportunity to learn Ontario health sector finding and business knowledge
Cons: A very tight project deadlines
A good place to learn and gain knowledge about Ontario hospitals and community sectors specially LHIN Local Health Integrated Network)
Excellent rehabilitation environment and an overall excellent placement experience
College Placement Student (Former Employee), 1001 Queen St. West Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2015
During my placement at CAMH in Toronto I was a Behaviour Therapist placement student. I was placed through my Behavioural Science Technology program at George Brown College to assist with behavioural programming, design and implement a reduction program, and work as a member of an inter-professional team to provide the best overall rehabilitation services to forensic patients dealing with mental health issues. I had the opportunity to work with an excellent team of Nurses, Occupational, Behavioural and Recreational Therapists, Dietitian's, Social Workers and Psychiatrists. This was an overall excellent learning experience.
Great place
Patient Coordinator (Current Employee), Toronto, ONOctober 30, 2014
I'm just volunteering here, but it's great. A fun environment with lots of support.
Great
Administration Assistant (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2014
Great people. Great work environment. Opportunities for further education and occupational support.
Challenging and diverse
Social Support Worker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 31, 2014
Fun working with youth, very rewarding to teach and set example for vulnerable young people
Excellent Workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), TorontoJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: old offices/computers
Lovely people
challenging work environment
excellent rewards
Very productive environment, gratifying and ideal for individuals seeking substantial research experience
Research Assistant Internship (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: not being hindered from broadening your learning experience
A typical day at the CAMH is often busy and your time well utilized. I was able to contribute to the regulatory applications process using what I had learned in the CRA program - the practical experience allowed me to gain insight into the reality of grant proposals, which is a huge plus for a research assistant since that quality is a major aspect of being a Research Associate/Coordinator. Database creation, database maintenance/entry/checking and maintaining CRFs were also tasks attended to on a regular basis, which again, is a another major plus for an aspiring CRA/CRC.
Interesting projects, however, poor management
Business Analyst (Former Employee), toronto, onJuly 27, 2013
Pros: interesting projects
Cons: management, can be unprofessional
Projects can be interesting.
Management: Business analysts typically report to project managers, this type of setup calls for a power authority by PM's and a hierarchical relationship rather than fostering of a healthy team environment. Some management lack adequate training on how to deal with their direct reports and in my experience I found that the style was very paternalistic rather than a healthy relationship based on trust, respect of BA as a team member as well as lack of managers role to foster creativity and utilize/grow individuals talent. BA's are considered worker bee's (do what you are told) rather than respected team members. This can be detrimental not only to the individuals growth but to the teams growth as well impediment to the success of projects. In essence, BA's are not considered professionals with experience. This observation may not represent all PM's and/or other managers at CAMH.
Director level individuals are approachable and ready to listen to feedback and implement improvements.
Interesting observations: Was surprised to find political nuances at deep levels in this organization. It can affect productivity and talent stumper for those caught up in it.
Overall experience has been quite negative at a professional level in this organization. Not certain if it is a very good place for a BA to have positive professional experience, learn and grow.
the most enjoyable part of the job
Maintenance Generalist (Operating Engineer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2012
Trouble shooting equipment problem and fixing the problem.
Worked at the Centre for 20 years and worked with many wonderful people.
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 8, 2012
Pros: good salary and benefits.
Cons: five hours of travelling per day to get to work.
The thing I enjoyed most about my job is my wonderful co-workers and meeting clients from all walks of life. My position could be challenging and difficult at times, but always rewarding at the end of the day. Understanding client needs and having compassion has really taught me invaluable lessons.