Centennial College Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Review of Centennial College
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONNovember 30, 2012
Cons: long hours, lack of appreciation
The college is strongly lacking processes leading to lack of organization within the system.
80% of all new jobs are on a contract basis and it takes upwards of a few years to be hired on, if it comes to that.
My coworkers are focused on "get to work, get finished, go home". No one really seems to enjoy being there.
The hardest part of my job is managing my boss. She is a bit aloof and without me, I know that many things would fall through the cracks.
I enjoy the constant variety of tasks that I am handed daily and I love coming up with new ways to accomplish things.
I miss enjoying work, and having a good time with my coworkers and management.
Best workplace for researching
Student Researcher (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 22, 2014
Pros: flexible, active environment
Cons: part-time
I work as a part-time position as a student researcher. My responsibility is research about ClimateWell 10 which is one of recently invent in solar absorption cooling technology. We try to optimize the device in a specific application in all stages

I learnt many new thing about renewable energy as well as integrating energy system to buildings to save electric consumption

Here, I have very nice partners, a best team that we worked together and learn from each other, support others to finish task

My supervisor also helped me a lot to improve myself, provided me not only helpful advice but also valuable feedback
As with Dixon Hall and COSTIm it was good to help people with their varous needs
Job Developer/Coach/outreach (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2013
Pros: great work team
Cons: working on contract - very few full-time postions
I thoroughly enjoyed working with the great team at Centennial College and helping people realize their goals. My days at Centennial were quite varied because along with working one-on-one with individuals in the office, I went out into the community to do outreach at schools, libraries, and other venues, and informed people of the great services we could make available to them.

The most enjoyable part, as always, was to see people prosper as a result of the support and guidance they received from the team at Centennial.
An excellent experience working at the college
Student Representative (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONJuly 3, 2013
Pros: free breakfast, lunch and dinner
My overall experience working at Centennial College is great. You have the opportunity of interacting with guest, getting more acquainted with the school's system, working in the call center and accomplishing given task with coworkers. During my experience I have a better knowledge of how to manage my time on busy days and strategies of dealing with customer and guest who had a frustrating day. The hardest part of my job while working at the college was getting graduates to return gowns while i was working in the gowning department in the previous graduation. However, the part i enjoyed the most was when all coworkers had to cooperate with each other during the rush hour session of the ceremony.
Active in sports like hockey(field), Cricket and Volleyball .Captained the GGM Science College Hockey Team in 2007 and made it to finals
Project Management Graduate (Former Employee), torontoMarch 19, 2014
Using computer based technologies to create, retrieve, and store data
.Knowledge of Word Processing, Graphics and Multimedia
.Sophisticated knowledge of Operating systems and installing Windows
.Sound knowledge of Internet security and Routers
.Strong grasp of different operating systems
.Strong knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and MS Access
.Decision tree analysis
.Developing scope statement
.Flexibility
.Understanding current policies
.Budgeting
.Implementing and managing project changes to achieve project goal
.Project portfolio management
.Developing the schedule
Very enjoyable workplace, fun and great team
Student Representative (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONApril 27, 2014
Pros: great team
Cons: not many hours/very consistent
The information I can give is rather limited as it was a call-in type job. However for the amount I've participated in, it was very enjoyable; the team was very kind and the manager was also very helpful.

The most difficult part of this work was in the beginning where we had to write our own scripts to use as a guideline during conferences. After this it became much easier to manage; the team was great and how the job was performed made it to be a very fun experience.
challenging and competitive envrionment but yet relaxing with music sometimes
Operations Staff (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2013
A typical day at work is the maintenance of the student association building, attending to student complaints and event coordination. i had the opportunity to gather Canadian working experience and was Opportune to work with people from different cultures.My co workers were brilliant and had a wonderful time working with them, the hardest part was event coordination and the most enjoyable part was when we all gathered to eat and share experiences.
Employee appreciation
Student Worker (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJune 10, 2013
Pros: free lunch and positive work environment.
Cons: ergonomically improvable work spaces.
As a student worker for Centennial College, our manager always rewarded our efforts for increasing the school's application rate with a free team lunch at the end of each semester. The lunch composes of a free meal alongside small gifts which act as tokens of appreciation to all the employees. This gesture does not only show our management's appreciation, it also raises moral within all of the workers in our team.
Corporation Setting
Work Study Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 10, 2013
Pros: close interaction with students with disabilities
Cons: not enough liesure time
Would convert around 50-60 E-Book files into learning tools (ie: Kurzweil 3000 and Read and Wright Gold) or pdf files in approximately 4-5 hours. While still managing to tutor from 4-5 students in the operation of Kurzweil as well as Read and Wright Gold. Was also tasked with assisting senior staff with any of their multiple responsibilities.
Productive and Fun Environment
Clerical/Financial Services (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJanuary 3, 2015
Working at this job allowed me to gain experience working with a large faculty and group of students who needed help on information within the school. I enjoyed the flexible schedule with allowed me to continue with my studies. the hardest part about this job was filling student records because of the high volume of students in the school there was a lot of paper work to be organized and sorted.
Productive and helpful to learn technical skills and enjoyable workplace
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 7, 2014
- To set up lab equipment for student to perform their labs.
- Provide help to instructors and technician to perform maintenance on lab equipment and machine.
- Helped Students to operate lab equipment very precisely.
- Troubleshoot and repair electro-pneumatic, hydraulic,electrical and automation (Robotic cell) systems.
- Learned various strategies to troubleshoot any problem in machines.
- Learned to complete task with precision.
- Enjoyed working with instructors and students.
Excellent work place with shades of seriousness and playfulness
Student Service Representative (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJune 22, 2013
Pros: variety of benefits
Cons: casual hours
Centennial college had the ideology of promoting and hiring from within the school system. Although a casual position a typical day at work was fun and relaxing, everyone was open with one another. Being able to speak to one of your supervisors with relative ease was reassuring to me should I encounter a problem.
HVAC Lab Technician & Instructor
HVAC Lab Technician & Instructor (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 18, 2015
• Provide instruction HVAC systems to classes ranging from 10 - 20 students.
• Provide instruction on basic refrigeration systems, cycles and components, system installation, electrical control systems, graphics, math, hand tools, mechanical and electrical skills, refrigerants and refrigeration load calculation, safety, system design,
• Installation, operation, test and repair system components
• Engage students in class instruction by ensuring interesting delivery
• Monitor students’ progress and Evaluate academic achievement and provide extra coaching to lacking students
Fun and easy going.
Student Worker (Current Employee), ScarboroughNovember 13, 2014
I loved to work there because my boss was so helpful and kind. They often provided me enough space to decide to work, I was almost independent to decide and work. However it was Very Very less pay since the college itself was in loss. They were not able to invest any more to attract students. There was no future advancement of employee.
Highly Productive, Punctual, Efficient, Reliable
Data Entry/Customer Service (Former Employee), Scarborough, OntarioJune 3, 2014
Pros: learning new skills and techniques, meeting new people
Cons: not as much hours as full time
Dealt with customers problems face to face and over the phone and would help trouble shoot. Would print invoices for customers. Entered customer information on the system. Provided tours for potential and new students. Represented the Centennial College at College Fairs.
School
Writer - The Toronto Observer (Current Employee), Toronto, OntarioNovember 27, 2015
Post-Graduate sports journalism program. Had the opportunity to do play-by-play for the men's and women's basketball teams during their run to the playoffs. Also got to interview coaches and have my broadcast streamed online. Had articles published online from my time in Florida as well as we covered athletes from minor-league affiliates.
Overall a nice environment for education with various facilities. Excellent faculty.
Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: gym, game room.
Cons: no flexibility with time.
Learned what i didnt knew and with much more clarity. Hands on training and carried out various project. Learned how to operate different types of instruments like SDS PAGE, PCR, Spectrophotometer, Gel Electrophoresis etc
Amazing place and an opportunity to meet new students always
Peer Assistant (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONFebruary 5, 2016
Pros: Opportunity to meet new students
Cons: Language barrier
Good place to work.
Cool environment.
Great people.
They will try to help you whenever you need them.
Awesome infrastructure.
Lots of Networking events, but the manager should be good enough so that you can go out and network.
Safe working environment with a pool table
Start Smart Mentor (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 10, 2013
Pros: free lunch everyday
Cons: 15 hours shifts
- Plan activites for mentees
- I learned about icebreakes
- Management was really good
- I had really good co-workers
- Hardest part of the job is late night hall duty
- The most enjoyable part of the job is suring my knowledge with mentees.
Had 3 good learning years at College
Student (Former Employee), Scarborough ONJuly 10, 2014
Pros: teachers are well behaved.
Cons: daily classes started 8 in the morning, then had 4 or 6 hours of break and last class finished around 6:30 pm.
Teachers are limited for the Industrial Technologist department. College need to hire more qualified teachers for the betterment of the system.