Cenovus Energy Employee Reviews

Great learning opportunities and dynamic worker but not enough job security
Safety Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2016
The workers in the field are very strong. Cenovus safety culture goes above and beyond but unfortunately there isn't much for job stability and possibilities for advancement.
Overall a good place to work
Senior Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 April 2016
Cenovus prides itself on being a top employer, providing competitive salaries and benefits. Management promotes a healthy & safe work environment.
great fun work place
Scaffolder (Former Employee) –  coldlake8 September 2016
paper work gather gear build a scaffold management would come check on us from time to time ask how your day was going co workers where great every one got along hardest part of the job being out side in the elements all the time most enjoyable part of the job working and learning new things meeting new people and making friends
Pros
free lunches we kept the same camp rooms
Cons
working in the elements
Worst Management in the Oil Industry
Lead Operator (Current Employee) –  Alberta29 September 2016
This company has been run,right into the ground,thats what poor overpaid management does,it wont be long until they run out of money and sell off conventional oil,to sell off their royalties was the stupidest move Ive ever seen.
Cenovus - decent company
Cost Control Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
A good place to work with great salary/benefits but growth horizontal/vertical is limited.Management doesn't look solid as they keep on making lots of changes.
Good place to work new challanges and experiences
Well Delivery Safety Advisor - SAGD Operations (Current Employee) –  Conklin, AB12 August 2016
Most days typically start at 05:00 on an 8 in and 6 out schedule. Work with an excellent team of professionals that know how to get the job done and enjoy their work at the same time.
Work can be challenging at times with the economy on a current prolonged down turn.
Hardest part of the job is watching talented/dedicated co-workers being let go due to current economic conditions.
Pros
Work atmospere and team
Cons
7 hour drive to and from work location in winter weather.
Good Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nisku, AB1 April 2016
I was asked to set up their login process for people to swipe their cards I would monitor the manpower count sheet each morning as to how many people were on site at any given time.
Co-Workers were great to work with we worked on a mod yard I was in the main building and in there were about 25 other employees we all worked well together.
Hardest part of the job were the hours - very long days.
Most enjoyable was the experience of learning something new and also management were really good to get along with.
Administrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant & Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 October 2016
Came into the job without experience, had many positive people & mentors to help me learn everything I needed to know about how to be an effective asset to the company.I took many courses for both soft & hard skill development.
Pros
Personal growth & development
Cons
As the economy worsened, people became petty
Fun place to work
Wellsite Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Southern Alberta6 July 2016
I learned a lot from many knowledgeable colleagues, very team oriented company to work for with safety and efficiency being a top priority.
Pros
Team culture
Cons
Clean camp and friendly environment.
Day-Tech RFO (Current Employee) –  Foster Creek3 August 2016
Each day can present a new challenge that will need to be met with colaberation , investigation and team consultation to determine the best action to take. The routine is that you can never anticipate, or plan out expected plant deficiencies even with repeated observation checks by all members of the team. Be prepared to interact with all team members in a professional, courteous manner which makes the days fun, rewarding and personally gratifying.
Challenge to Provide Quality and Service in Realtime
Senior Piping Technologist (Former Employee) –  Chistina Lake, Alberta7 November 2016
During my time at Cenovus I worked with some of the most professional and dedicated people I have ever met. It was a great learning opportunity for me to be based in a site position and be involved with providing practical and immediate solutions to situations in both construction and operating scenarios.
Good place to work for
Field Operator (Current Employee) –  Field6 July 2016
Good place to work but due to the resent recession, flaws within the company have been brought to attention and a major concern being poor management.
Very relaxed place to work with an excess of employees.
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2016
Cenovus is well known as the "Country Club" of energy companies in downtown Calgary for good reason. Work/life balance is paramount and overstaffing is how this is accomplished. Great place at the end of a career for a relaxed lifestyle but lacking opportunity for learning in early career.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Lacking opportunity for learning/advancement
A great place to work before the downturn happened.
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 February 2016
Solid management and corporate culture. The way the cuts and pending cuts are being handled does not align with the corporate strategy from the past. Low internal moral at moment.
Satisfying work environment
Mechanical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Christina Lake, AB28 July 2016
Cenovus provides a safe work place, and are innovation orientated. Working for them has been a good experience. The last couple years have been hard on the company and this has reflected on the employees through job and staff cuts.
Pros
Flights to and from site are provided by Cenovus
Cons
Wage and hours cut. Many layoffs.
Fast paced & enjoyable atmosphere
Electrical Lead (Former Employee) –  Foster Creek, AB5 November 2015
Your ideas are heard with this company and usually executed. Great co-workers. Knowledgeable management. High quality work place safety culture. Nice camp accommodations.
Pros
Camp style accommodations
Productive place
Distribution of staff work areas (Former Employee) –  Christina Lake, AB9 May 2016
Great compagny ! They do take care of you .
Great salary , great place to works
Planning of the days is always a suprise
Thanks to them to trust my work with them
Drilling Superintendent in several areas.
Drilling Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 November 2015
I ran operations for several areas
I learned a great deal more about Manage Pressure drilling and SAGD wells.
Management was a revolving door.
My co-workers were great.
The most challenging was drilling high pressure well and getting the liners set.
The most enjoyable were the good people I worked with and the great people in the field.
Pros
The safety culture.
Cons
The anount of drilling managers we had.
The experience at Cenovus was educational.
Contracted as E&I coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nisku AB7 July 2016
Typical day of work involved interaction with some competent and enthusiastic individuals with a common goal. Most were aware of the importance in team building and aware of their responsibilities.
Good Company
Energy Asset Management Analyst, Compliance (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2016
Cenovus is a good company to work for. However, few things may need improvement. I would recommend Cenovus to friends and family.